HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Return of Carlo Colaiacovo

View Poll Results: If you could bring back Colaiacovo for one season, would you?
Yes, if the price was right and he would agree, I would bring back Colaiacovo. 16 27.12%
No, price and term don't matter, it is time to move on from Colaiacovo. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2012, 12:09 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
The Return of Carlo Colaiacovo

Okay, so this thread started out as a response to someone in a different thread, and I got on such a role that I thought I would make a separate thread on the topic.

The more I think about that, the less sure I am it is such a bad option.

There really isn't a point in a lateral move that would cost assets if Colaiacovo is a realistic one year option.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that Colaiacovo hasn't signed elsewhere by now. I don't think he is really that much of a step down from Dennis Wideman overall. He is better defensively, but not as good offensively.

Obviously, Colaiacovo isn't Plan A. He isn't Plan B either. But honestly would bringing Colaiacovo back next season be such a bad thing? He was paired with Petro pretty much all last season. Petro finished fourth in Norris voting. The Blues were the best defensive team in the league, winning the Jennings, and if not for legalese, would have set an expansion era record for fewest goals allowed in a season.

I certainly understand not wanting to commit to Colaiacovo long term. But the further from July 1st we get, the greater the likelihood of him accepting a one year contract.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty lost when it comes to evaluating defensive play. I understand that Colaiacovo is injury prone. He is less than ideal for the position. But is he really worse than the other options out there?

Colaiacovo was a +7 last year. He had a career worst shooting %, scoring only two goals, so an improvement in that department can be expected. He has shown some chemistry with Petro. Like Russell (and others), he has the ability to skate the puck out of the zone if necessary. He has shown an ability to adapt to and play in Hitchcock's system. He offers an option on the PP. He would be the third or fourth best puck mover on the team (Petro, Shatty, maybe Russell).

Obviously this is all based on Colaiacovo being willing to return on the Blues terms. But if you could, would you? Why give up assets for a lateral move? Would you accept a line of 5 goals-20 assists -25 points -+10 -25 PIMs from Petro's partner next season?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
I'm not totally against Colaiacovo as a player, but we need to move on from him. It would be an awkward situation if he was the 7th/situational defenseman, and that's what he would have to be.

Whether people like it or not, it is time for Cole to play full time. It can be on the 3rd pairing and Polak can bump up and Pietrangelo can slide over, but it is Cole's time just like it was Polak's time in the past.

We need to move on from Colaiacovo like we had to get rid of Brewer to move on as an organization.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

He sucked in the playoffs, and towards the end of the season...but honestly I wouldn't be upset to see him back. This team needs depth on the blueline, and if any of the 6 guys already in the plans go down, they could be in a world of hurt. Cola gets a lot of flack, and deservedly so, but there are much worse options than letting him suit up for 50 games while spending 32 games icing an injury.

At this point the defense is definitely not as strong heading into this year as it was last...the only substantial changes they've made are subtractions...which isn't necessarily addition by subtraction like a lot of people will claim.

I think Carlo is finding out that he's not exactly a hot commodity and he's not going to get either big bucks or a long-term deal. He's probably open to coming back to a familiar situation and winning team rather than accepting a less than desired contract with another club.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Stopped my lurking streak to post in this thread haha.

I have wanted Cola gone since it was between weaver and him staying.
I'll be honest I probably have just unwarranted anger towards him now but I just can't stand watching him play.

I feel as if he is very consistent with bad defense and injuries. He even throws in some just unbelievably boneheaded plays now and then for kicks. Every now and then he goes on a scoring streak and its bearable but you know it going to run out.

Just some examples of why I don't want him back (obviously some details wont come back to me so I can't find video of the instances but im sure this may spark your memory or another persons):

Standing up for your d partner is a good thing. taking a penalty with a minute left when you are down by one is stupid. But not just taking a penalty and teaching a guy a lesson for another time, cola decided to headlock a guy for at least 30 seconds. not even a tough play because he just hung on while the guy skated his way to the front of the net just dragging cola with him. The stupidest play I have seen in my life

In the playoffs when pietro was gone and couldn't cover up his mistakes cola was the last man back with one fore checker on him. so he starts to curl back behind our blue line (keep in mind he shoots on his left side). He had two easy, and smart moves: turning and making a careful play up the left boards to the player waiting at the red line, or bringing it to his back hand and trying to take a step to make a careful play to his partner who was waiting on the right side of our blue line. Instead he decides to keep skating to the right, while pulling the puck further to his forehand reducing his angle to make a successful pass. Then he limp wrists it into the feet of the forecheker and its soon in the back of our net with a kopitar highlight reel play.

While i only mentioned two instances these types of moments are so regular for him i honestly feel he holds pietro back. Yes he was a +7 but he was also playing with a second team all NHL defense man. If we put someone that can skate and just make some safe plays i think we will see peitro grow even more.

In conclusion, I feel russel is a more capable partner than coliacovo and would take my chances with him than have another year where pietro is held back by cola.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I don't want him back under any circumstances. I'd prefer Russell/Cole/Jackman down the left side every day and twice on Sunday.

Plus if we really are on the budget it appears we are, I'd rather see the limted funds used elsewhere

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

As for cover for injuries, I think we have enough players that can play bigger minutes and enough depth guys to handle the typical and expected shorter term injuries. If there is a serious injury to one of the top 4 guys, we can make a trade during the season.

No point in wasting resources on something that we might not even need.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Robb_K

I'd rather have Cole and Russell get more minutes, EVEN if there's no other defenceman signed. They can play Cole full-time on the 3rd shift, and see if he's ready. IF a d-man gets seriously injured, they can make a trade THEN. Of course, I'd rather have them trade for a player who can play alongside Pietrangelo right away. But, if they can't land one, I'd be satisfied to see Pietrangelo pair up with Shattenkirk or Polak, and Cole start on the 3rd shift, rather than having Colaiacovo return. His would-be salary can be combined with other money to pay the salary of the better d-man they trade for in mid-season, or near the deadline.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:34 AM
kimzey59

Cola proved he wasn't good enough to do what we needed him to do.
It's time to move on.

Having said that; neither Russell or Cole have proven good enough either. We need to bring in outside help, and that means a trade.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:25 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
Stopped my lurking streak to post in this thread haha.

I have wanted Cola gone since it was between weaver and him staying.
I'll be honest I probably have just unwarranted anger towards him now but I just can't stand watching him play.

I feel as if he is very consistent with bad defense and injuries. He even throws in some just unbelievably boneheaded plays now and then for kicks. Every now and then he goes on a scoring streak and its bearable but you know it going to run out.

Just some examples of why I don't want him back (obviously some details wont come back to me so I can't find video of the instances but im sure this may spark your memory or another persons):

Standing up for your d partner is a good thing. taking a penalty with a minute left when you are down by one is stupid. But not just taking a penalty and teaching a guy a lesson for another time, cola decided to headlock a guy for at least 30 seconds. not even a tough play because he just hung on while the guy skated his way to the front of the net just dragging cola with him. The stupidest play I have seen in my life

In the playoffs when pietro was gone and couldn't cover up his mistakes cola was the last man back with one fore checker on him. so he starts to curl back behind our blue line (keep in mind he shoots on his left side). He had two easy, and smart moves: turning and making a careful play up the left boards to the player waiting at the red line, or bringing it to his back hand and trying to take a step to make a careful play to his partner who was waiting on the right side of our blue line. Instead he decides to keep skating to the right, while pulling the puck further to his forehand reducing his angle to make a successful pass. Then he limp wrists it into the feet of the forecheker and its soon in the back of our net with a kopitar highlight reel play.

While i only mentioned two instances these types of moments are so regular for him i honestly feel he holds pietro back. Yes he was a +7 but he was also playing with a second team all NHL defense man. If we put someone that can skate and just make some safe plays i think we will see peitro grow even more.

In conclusion, I feel russel is a more capable partner than coliacovo and would take my chances with him than have another year where pietro is held back by cola.

Like BergMan said : I have wanted Cola gone since it was between weaver and him staying.

It's time for Cole, a former 1st round pick , to step into the lineup full time now.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:02 AM
ManyIdeas

I honestly feel russell can take the first pairing job. Him, polak and pie were easily our best and most.consistent dmen in the playoffs

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Not interested. We need room for the other d-men.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
execwrite

Book it ... it's gonna happen.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
I honestly feel russell can take the first pairing job. Him, polak and pie were easily our best and most.consistent dmen in the playoffs
Agreed. He's proven more than Cole or Carlo has.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
ChicagoBlues

I voted and then looked at the results.

These results don't represent the heart of the discussion that we've had here at HF regarding Cola. What I mean is that most of us (including me) would like to see him move on, but it also seemed to me that just about as many members here (including me) were okay with a Cola concession.

Colaiacovo is a liability, but certainly serviceable and is no better than Leopold, whose name has been mentioned. Besides, he can moved at the deadline or will be injured anyway.

But these poll results do no reflect our discussion.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-22-2012 at 11:38 AM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I voted and then looked at the results.

These results don't represent the heart of the discussion that we've had here at HF regarding Cola. What I mean is that most of us (including me) would like to see him move on, but it also seemed to me that just about as many members here (including me) were okay with a Cola concession.

Colaiacovo is a liability, but certainly serviceable and is no better than Leopold, whose name has been mentioned. Besides, he can moved at the deadline or will be injured anyway.

But these poll results do no reflect our discussion.
I honestly can't remember too many people that would be ok with Colaiacovo coming back.

Cola would not be an upgrade and I seriously doubt that he'd accept a situational type role.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:53 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I honestly can't remember too many people that would be ok with Colaiacovo coming back.

Cola would not be an upgrade and I seriously doubt that he'd accept a situational type role.
Then may I suggest you review the threads? The discussion is scattered across several threads of course, but it's there.

In the Blues' search for another defenseman we fans considered several different players. Often we wound up concluding that the Blues were not getting any of the top D-men available and most of the others left were no better than Cola, especially because he is so familiar with the team.

Sounds familiar, no?

Old
07-22-2012, 01:56 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Then may I suggest you review the threads? The discussion is scattered across several threads of course, but it's there.

In the Blues' search for another defenseman we fans considered several different players. Often we wound up concluding that the Blues were not getting any of the top D-men available and most of the others left were no better than Cola, especially because he is so familiar with the team.

Sounds familiar, no?
I get the impression from most people that Cole really wouldn't be downgrade from Cola.

I think most people would be happy with this:

Pietrangelo-Polak
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Cole

If a serious injury happens to one of our bigger defenseman, we can make a trade during the season.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
ManyIdeas

I honestly wouldn't mind a russell/pie pairing, with cole and polak as the 3rd. Teach cole how he needs to be by example (polak)

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:59 PM
execwrite

Quote:
I get the impression from most people that Cole really wouldn't be downgrade from Cola.

Pietrangelo-Polak
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Cole

If a serious injury happens to one of our bigger defenseman, we can make a trade during the season.
Not me. Russell is being highly overrated. He's way too small to play defense on a regular basis. He's a press box fill-in guy at best.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Not me. Russell is being highly overrated. He's way too small to play defense on a regular basis. He's a press box fill-in guy at best.
Did you watch the playoffs? He was easily one of our better players. As long as he is on the 3rd pairing, he can be successful. He is excellent in transition, and that is what we need when we are going against the aggressive forechecking teams

Old
07-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I suggest you watch more of his play. You're making too big a deal out of his size.

Easily the best transitional d man after Petro and Shatty

Old
07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:

Pietrangelo-Polak
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Cole

I agree with you 1223, but the thread is whether or not to bring back Colaiacovo. I don't like your pairings, but I like the six you have.

I don't want him, but a D spot remains and if the Blues' options are not pleasing, then bringing back Cola makes sense and that is what our discussions borne out.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:26 PM
ChicagoBlues

Agree with Inglorious and 1223. Russell proved his worth in the playoffs.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

If we are talking about a 7th d man why not just save money and go with one of the guys in the system?

Old
07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

For the people that would want or are open to the idea of Colaiacovo coming back, do you really think he would be open to the idea of being a 7th. Also, do you think Armstrong will pay what Colaiacovo would want to be the 7th?