HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Much Will Kessel Make?

Old
07-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
The inflated retirement contracts are only paying out as well as they are because teams can circumvent the cap.

Once the ability to circumvent disappears so do the "real" numbers as well.
Oh i don't believe that one bit. The max that can be paid right now is 14m per, and a good chance that will increase in 2 years. I highly doubt that Kessel and his agent will settle for half or even possibly less then half of the max allowed.

The elite players will always get paid,it happens in every pro league, cap or no cap.

We will just finally see less money spent on 3rd/4th liners and 5/7 d and back ups.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 07-22-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Mr Writer

If the NEW CBA unfolds as the league and owners want (term restrictions no signing bonus) the days of the hometown discount will be over, every player like Kessel will be seeking on every contract max term and max dollars. They will be instructed to do so by the NHLPA. And in any new negotiation between Phil's agent and Burke, who do you think has all the leverage? Ah, that would be Phil considering what Burke had to surrender to acquire him in the first place. and if he ever manages to hit the 40 goal plateau or heaven forbid lead the leafs into a playoff appearance, then Phil has Burke and MLSE right where he wants them and like in any contract negotiation, you are worth whatever you can negotiate. Phil can ask for max dollars whatever that will be in 2 years time, and if Burke has any doubt he won't re-sign with the leafs, and he looks to be heading to UFA status, then burke has no other choice but to trade him rather than risk losing him and get nothing in return. If Burke hasn't been fired by that time, he will most certainly be fired if that scenario unfolds.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:45 AM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
If Kessel can go 40/40 next couple seasons, $7+ is not out question.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
If the NEW CBA unfolds as the league and owners want (term restrictions no signing bonus) the days of the hometown discount will be over, every player like Kessel will be seeking on every contract max term and max dollars. They will be instructed to do so by the NHLPA. And in any new negotiation between Phil's agent and Burke, who do you think has all the leverage? Ah, that would be Phil considering what Burke had to surrender to acquire him in the first place. and if he ever manages to hit the 40 goal plateau or heaven forbid lead the leafs into a playoff appearance, then Phil has Burke and MLSE right where he wants them and like in any contract negotiation, you are worth whatever you can negotiate. Phil can ask for max dollars whatever that will be in 2 years time, and if Burke has any doubt he won't re-sign with the leafs, and he looks to be heading to UFA status, then burke has no other choice but to trade him rather than risk losing him and get nothing in return. If Burke hasn't been fired by that time, he will most certainly be fired if that scenario unfolds.
Well i won't go that far, as to say they will shoot for the cap max, in 2 years that could be 16m per.

But your are right in saying the Kessel and his agent have us by the shorts and curlys. Our only elite player and the cost to aquire him and lets not forget, the Kessel camp has already shown the truculence needed to make strong demands and risk the open market when they played hard ball with his first negotiable contract.

This will be his defining contract , the one that is to set him and his future family up for generations.

But a comparible to what the elites are actually getting paid in the first 5/7 years, 9.5m/ 10.5m per in 2 years time is in the ball park.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 07-22-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old
07-22-2012, 06:20 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I'll 7 years x 7 million. 49million. He'd be 31 in his last season

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well i won't go that far, as to say they will shoot for the cap max, in 2 years that could be 16m per.

But your are right in saying the Kessel and his agent have us by the shorts and curlys. Our only elite player and the cost to aquire him and lets not forget, the Kessel camp has already shown the truculence needed to make strong demands and risk the open market when they played hard ball with his first negotiable contract.

This will be his defining contract , the one that is to set him and his future family up for generations.

But a comparible to what the elites are actually getting paid in the first 5/7 years, 9.5m/ 10.5m per in 2 years time is in the ball park.

The cap and what is defined hockey related revenue will shrink in the new CBA (or at least it appears to be going that way) If that happens and the new CAP is say set at 60 million and max salary is 19% of that, the owners having negotiated term limits and no salary bonus, you think Phil's agent is not going to ask MLSE 5 years Max dollars, give it to me or I walk as a UFA July 1. I know that's what I would do...hey owners, you negotiated the CBA, you wanted it, now you live with it. Phil may not get max dollars on the open market, but I'm sure a team like the Wild will be willing to get close to that number.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Mr Writer

Having said that, I don't believe that the owners will get 5 year term limit contracts and no signing bonus. But it will be interesting to see what unfolds here in the next few months.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Having said that, I don't believe that the owners will get 5 year term limit contracts and no signing bonus. But it will be interesting to see what unfolds here in the next few months.
Frankly, i don't know who is really screaming for the term limit change save for BB .

So far no one has lost anyone to a long term deal and only 1 has been deemed a circumvention.

Meh! maybe they settle at 10 years, even then that kills most of the retirement deals, it's in the last 3/4 years where the cap hit is metered down.

In 2 years i can see Kessel gunning for 9.5m/ 10m if they limit to 5/7 years

Old
07-22-2012, 07:54 AM
RonEllisFan

I'm just glad BB got him now, check the points last year and see how many players made more then him and produced less then him. BB that was a steal!!!

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
xyzz

this thread makes me wish we signed parise for the same money (costing us no assets) and let Kessel walk.

is there anyone who would rather have Kessel over Parise?

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:41 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
this thread makes me wish we signed parise for the same money (costing us no assets) and let Kessel walk.

Will Kessel be getting 13 years, 100 million? Because that Parise contract is a joke. I'll take Kessel if we can get him for less years.

Kessel is a franchise winger.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
BlueStorm

I can't see him resigning here. Burke still won't have a true #1C by then and kessel will realize he can make the same or better money on a contender.
In 2 years I can see him getting $7.5 million per season if he keeps putting up good numbers with so so players supporting him on a non playoff team.

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
If Kessel can go 40/40 next couple seasons, $7+ is not out question.
Next couple of seasons? He'd get that right now.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Andrew Mack

Probably between $7M and $8M. Hopefully here.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post

Pretty funny that letting Kessel walk isn't considered to be losing an asset.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Wow I wasn't aware of this. This will definately put Burke in a difficult postition. With Kessel entering his prime he may wish to spend it with a better team...for some reason I can see him as a Penguin. After what Burke gave up for him he has to get some return back.

Will be some drama to come...thanks for pointing this out beauchamp
It would be in Leafs best interest if in the new CBA the they increased the years of service/age until UFA status and that would make Kessel a RFA and not an UFA at end of this contract.

Then an Offer Sheet would be the only way to lose his services, and it would not be free as it would be draft picks compensation worst case scenario.

07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Pretty funny that letting Kessel walk isn't considered to be losing an asset.
After this next season Kessel and formerly Sundin would be in the same situation for Leaf Nation..

Player has a NTC/NMC and an expiring contract.

The loss of an asset without compensation hurts an organization no matter who it is, and the better the player the greater the loss.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Wow I wasn't aware of this. This will definately put Burke in a difficult postition. With Kessel entering his prime he may wish to spend it with a better team...for some reason I can see him as a Penguin. After what Burke gave up for him he has to get some return back.

Will be some drama to come...thanks for pointing this out beauchamp
Yeah, he's quite the genius. Not everyone would interpret a NMC as an large indicator that the player wants to leave.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Frankly, i don't know who is really screaming for the term limit change save for BB .

So far no one has lost anyone to a long term deal and only 1 has been deemed a circumvention.

Meh! maybe they settle at 10 years, even then that kills most of the retirement deals, it's in the last 3/4 years where the cap hit is metered down.

In 2 years i can see Kessel gunning for 9.5m/ 10m if they limit to 5/7 years
Agreed. The longer term deals is like buying in bulk. You get a better annual price. If Kessel simply continues what he has been doing he will get 50M for 5 years.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
I'm just glad BB got him now, check the points last year and see how many players made more then him and produced less then him. BB that was a steal!!!
Wow. Over the top. Remind me to never shop where you shop.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:12 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Agreed. The longer term deals is like buying in bulk. You get a better annual price. If Kessel simply continues what he has been doing he will get 50M for 5 years.
Not if the salary cap goes down.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Not if the salary cap goes down.
Doubt the cap goes down. Maybe the floor will drop though.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:20 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgari View Post
6-7 mil for 5-7 years. I think Burke has this in the bag.
LOL 6 mill... Kessel dips to Minnesota if Burke tries to offer that. If he gets 70 points, 40 goals we're looking at 7 mill+

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
It really depends on what Kessel does in the next 2 seasons. If he totally bottoms out like Kulemin did last season and only scores 7 goals there will be no talk of 7M/year.

I am not saying that he will do that, I sure hope not!
Imo Kessel could score 20 goals this year and still make at least 6M. Because if the leafs don't pay that some other team with a number 1 center will like Pittsburgh

Just imagine a line of Neal-Crosby/Malkin-Kessel

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It would be in Leafs best interest if in the new CBA the they increased the years of service/age until UFA status and that would make Kessel a RFA and not an UFA at end of this contract.

Then an Offer Sheet would be the only way to lose his services, and it would not be free as it would be draft picks compensation worst case scenario.
I agree that would be a nice thing to see, however I can't see it happening since Kessel already played out his entry level contract and is on his current contract which were signed under the current CBA.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote