HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)

Old
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Leighton's biggest strength is that he is a known quantity. The coach likes him, the GM likes him, and I'm sure he gets along with the players (otherwise I doubt they would sign him). The role of the backup goalie is to not be seen. You don't want a "Bryz" personality as a backup, and we know we won't with Leighton.

The extra couple hundred k, and at worst the need to trade a 7th pick at some point, is worth less than having a known quantity in the lockeroom.
In other words his biggest strength is that the GM has a soft spot for him. The known quantity we are getting is an AHL goalie that has played 3 times as many games in the AHL than the NHL.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Leighton went through re-entry waivers twice IIRC, once early in the season and once at the very end. The time at the very has no relevance whatsoever as there were no games remaining in the regular season and his contract was expiring. The early one may have some relevance, but not much. Team's positions change from the season to free agency. Hell they change from the draft to free agency. The fact is you don't know that no one else wanted him or even what Leighton would have accepted if the Flyers truly were the only team interested.
No, the POINT is that Holmgren didn't try to do anything to reduce the cap hit. Why is this hard?

Leighton has been waived by multiple teams multiple times, including the Flyers. He has been passed on, even on re-entry waivers, for less money then this contract. What was the rush to get him signed? He pulled this the last time, too. Patience could've saved money on the cap, and potentially gotten a better player to boot.

Is this the greatest sin ever committed by a GM? No, but it's still foolish. Especially for a team that is always right up against the cap all season. Any wiggle room would be useful. I'd just like to see our GM recognize that sometime.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
No, the POINT is that Holmgren didn't try to do anything to reduce the cap hit. Why is this hard?

Leighton has been waived by multiple teams multiple times, including the Flyers. He has been passed on, even on re-entry waivers, for less money then this contract. What was the rush to get him signed? He pulled this the last time, too. Patience could've saved money on the cap, and potentially gotten a better player to boot.

Is this the greatest sin ever committed by a GM? No, but it's still foolish. Especially for a team that is always right up against the cap all season. Any wiggle room would be useful. I'd just like to see our GM recognize that sometime.
You're saying this like it is fact, not possibility. You don't know the negotiations that went on. You don't know if other teams would have expressed interest. So no one picked him up in September to be a backup. Which teams needed a backup in September? Which teams need a backup now? $900k for a backup goalie is a fair price. Biron just got $1.2 million and his numbers last season were no better than Leighton's career numbers and he played in front of one of the best defenses in the league. Want to talk about wasting cap space, it would be signing a goalie who will put up similar stats to a contract higher than what they gave Leighton.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
In other words his biggest strength is that the GM has a soft spot for him. The known quantity we are getting is an AHL goalie that has played 3 times as many games in the AHL than the NHL.
And played exactly one NHL game in the last two years. ONE. One single game in which he allowed 4 goals, if I recall correctly. Might as well have signed Hasek...

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
yup. I would be thrilled with a 12-8 record. .900-.905 sv%. He is a backup I don't think those numbers are realistic for a backup for 900k
Exactly. It really isn't a hard concept that a backup goalie, who got a backup goalie contract, will put up backup goalie numbers.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:57 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Exactly. It really isn't a hard concept that a backup goalie, who got a backup goalie contract, will put up backup goalie numbers.
Apparently the concept of what constitutes an NHL player escapes you...

Anyway..this sums up Leighton

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articl...gency/11131712

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
How hilarious would it be if - after all the ridiculous back and forth about Nash/Suter/Parise - this is the only move the Flyers make?
Holding strong!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm guessing he meant to say he is a known "commodity" although I would say he is a known commode....
That's awesome.

Seriously though...lets consider his last attempts to be a backup in Philly. They were nothing short of disastrous.

07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Apparently the concept of what constitutes an NHL player escapes you...

Anyway..this sums up Leighton

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articl...gency/11131712
Apparently the concept of a backup goalie escapes you. This is really getting silly. I can go back and forth with people all day long about how much they hate Leighton and how their thoughts based on nothing are more valid than my thoughts based on his stats (BUT HE ISN'T GOOD!). At the end of the day, he is the backup goalie. If he wins 10-15 games, has a save percentage around .900, the Flyers will be fine. If Bryz goes down or sucks, [insert other backup goalie here] wasn't taking this team to the Cup anyway.

I know most of you have inside sources that know exactly what players are worth and who was interested in whom and the value of players and for the most part you are all better talent evaluators than 99% of the NHL scouts and management, but I personally think that he'll be perfectly fine as a backup. I know that is only based on his stats and previous play in the NHL and nothing else, but I'll just hold out hope that he can play well enough to be the backup.

I look forward to this thread getting bumped (a) after Leighton's first loss to show how horrible he really is and how stupid I and Homer were, (b) when he comes in with the stats I predicted and people still say he is horrible because he ONLY put up the stats of a backup goalie, or (c) when he puts up good numbers and people still say it was a terrible move and he isn't an NHL player.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
I look forward to this thread getting bumped (a) after Leighton's first loss to show how horrible he really is and how stupid I and Homer were
Can't wait....

Old
07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Adam Warlock

This signing just further proves the Flyers suck at making the smaller moves.

It's funny, even if they get both Parise and Suter, this simple little move could screw them if Bryz gets hurt.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
Some people are not being logical, they are speaking through emotions, so lets get the facts straight.

ML is no longer that AHL journeyman he showed to be before getting to that goalie maturity level and no longer that type of scrub before Reese pointed out and worked on his flaws that dramatically improved his game. ML has a quick glove hand that is superior to many of the goalies we see today. ML is poised and not dazed by pressure or bad defensive outings, he does bounce back and can steal games during poor defensive lapses.
ML does however seem to have a problem with long season heavy work loads which he was not accustomed to after sitting on the bench, therefore as the season goes on his play tails off at the very end like last year in the AHL and that series against Chicago.
Of course we were playing the best team that was stacked offensively that our guys were to exhausted to cover and it was an offensive style series where both goalies were left to hang out to dry, so penalizing who ML is through his developing past or situations somewhat out of his control is extremely unfair, unwarranted and unappreciative to what he did do and can do.
Let's see if 1) he truly is the backup this year (this could be insurance in case we can't grab one)
and 2) let's see how he does with this defense in front of him in this new situation and how the team plays in front of him
Then we can pass judgment.
His glove hand is so quick, he gets beaten on shots to the glove by Ben Eager

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
His glove hand is so quick, he gets beaten on shots to the glove by Ben Eager

superstar Shelley scored on Price to..

so whats ur point ???

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
superstar Shelley scored on Price to..

so whats ur point ???
That Michael Leighton ****ing sucks

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Flyerfan808

Signs of economic resurgance: Michael F. Leighton still has a job.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Signs of economic resurgance: Michael F. Leighton still has a job.
Holmgren seems to be providing a lot of economic stimulus so far this offseason......

Old
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Someone on twitter made an interesting point. Maybe Leighton was signed because Bryz knows he's no danger to him? Let's face it, the one year when he's had a serious back up he was very dodgy.
Eh, I don't know, Tellqvist wasn't too much of a threat to him, either.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
I like the signing just to see all the usual experts around here get their panties in a bunch.
this. It's like I could hear the multi-car pileup from here in Connecticut.

Edit: oh wait, that's just I-84

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
kicksave27

Has there ever been a GM who actually trolled his own fanbase this badly. At least the phillies had the common sense to move mitch williams after the 1993 WS, probably saved his life.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Cheap backup and Leighton still has something to prove, he should be fine in net.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

stop bumping this thread, it's ****ing depressing

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Uh-oh, Bill Meltzer even says the Cup loss wasn't Leighton's fault. That means I'm right, right?

Quote:
The series as a whole was wide open, with the exception of Game 2. Neither Leighton nor Chicago goalie Antti Niemi played well, but neither received much defensive help from the guys in front of them. Patrick Kane's funky-looking OT goal that ended the series was a disastrous one for Leighton to give up, but to pin the entire series on him? Come on.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...eK977I.twitter

Old
07-22-2012, 07:45 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Uh-oh, Bill Meltzer even says the Cup loss wasn't Leighton's fault. That means I'm right, right?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...eK977I.twitter
That's like saying don't blame the field goal kicker who missed the chip shot that would have taken you to the super bowl. Of course the games could have gone differently, the forwards and defenders could have completely outplayed Chicago and they wouldn't have been in that situation. But at the end of the day, Leighton costs the chance to get to game seven because he missed the chip shot.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

With us going after Hasek, has anyone thought that he was signed to mentor one of the new guys in the AHL? Just a thought. Hence the 900K salary.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
With us going after Hasek, has anyone thought that he was signed to mentor one of the new guys in the AHL? Just a thought. Hence the 900K salary.
Not one a one-way deal.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote