HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Favorites for the 2012-2013 Calder Cup?

Old
07-21-2012, 07:42 AM
hb11xchamps

vCash: 500
Gonna be a homer here and say Hershey might be the favorites for the cup again. Resigning Keith Aucoin was huge and the Bears have once again loaded up

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:47 AM
BennyBST

WBS from the east, Houston from the West.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Gonna be a homer here and say Hershey might be the favorites for the cup again. Resigning Keith Aucoin was huge and the Bears have once again loaded up
Ah, ah, ah, not so fast. Marlies signed Aucoin. To go along with Kostka and Yeo, and maybe Zigomanis, these Marlies are looking pretty good yet again, even with potential losses of scrivens, Kadri, colborne, d'amigo and holzer.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Ah, ah, ah, not so fast. Marlies signed Aucoin. To go along with Kostka and Yeo, and maybe Zigomanis, these Marlies are looking pretty good yet again, even with potential losses of scrivens, Kadri, colborne, d'amigo and holzer.
Two of these guys will be back. Colborne and D'Amigo will be Marlies next season.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I gotta go with the homerism in me and give some love to Houston. Team is gonna be practically stacked. If there's a lockout, Granlund will be down their too and possibly Brodin.
I saw quite a bit of Zach Phillips while watching Seadogs highlights. Kid is really good... though he might of just been feeding off of Huberdeau.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
You're overvaluing Yeo if you consider him as a big impact signing. He is a good skater, has a little offensive flair, but is also prone to make defensive blunders from time to time. I wouldn't expect him to be a top pairing D man for Toronto.

Is there any legs or anything official on this rumor of him to TO, or is it still hearsay for now?

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
I saw quite a bit of Zach Phillips while watching Seadogs highlights. Kid is really good... though he might of just been feeding off of Huberdeau.
He and his linemate Coyle will be down in Houston this year tearing it up.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
You aren't concerned about your goaltending duo?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
You're overvaluing Yeo if you consider him as a big impact signing. He is a good skater, has a little offensive flair, but is also prone to make defensive blunders from time to time. I wouldn't expect him to be a top pairing D man for Toronto.

Is there any legs or anything official on this rumor of him to TO, or is it still hearsay for now?
Yeo is a good ECHLer.

The source on EP was a Google translator so im not certain it's accurate or official.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM
CC321

The cup winning Norfolk Admirals, who become the Syracuse Crunch this season should be a stronger club than they were last year which is scary. Upgraded D, upgraded G, added 1st rd F Namestnikov. If the NHL shuts down all bets are off, but right now Syracuse has to be considered the Fav.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You aren't concerned about your goaltending duo?
Not really. Grubauer had a solid first season in SC last year, and Sabourin's a solid backup who could step in as a starter if needed. I wouldn't have minded having some experience behind them, but we'll be going with 2 kids (Anderson & Kostenko) in Reading.

Slight concerns about the defense in front of them, conditionally. If Schilling doesn't make the Caps, he'll be a 25-minute a game guy for us, and you can live with McNeill, Stafford, Kundratek, Brouilette, Marshall, Oleksy & depth behind that. Drop Schilling, and you've got a deep, but not really noteworthy corps there. Not too sure about what help we could get if the NHL goes out, but I can't believe they'd be that stupid again given that it almost killed the sport the first time. Overall, it should be a fun season in the East.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
The cup winning Norfolk Admirals, who become the Syracuse Crunch this season should be a stronger club than they were last year which is scary. Upgraded D, upgraded G, added 1st rd F Namestnikov. If the NHL shuts down all bets are off, but right now Syracuse has to be considered the Fav.
We lost a lot of vets though.

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:45 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
We lost a lot of vets though.
Losing Picard and Smith will hurt, and the possibility of losing either Conacher or Killorn (or both) to the Lightning wont help things much either. Not a chance they'll be better then next year as someone suggested.

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Titans219

Norfolk in the East and Abbotsford in the West... Will go to a game 7!!! Norfolk will win in OT!

Titans219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:35 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Really? You have lost Picard, Smith and Kostka. Signed no big free agents. Not sure Tokarski will be around in net. I think you are very over expecting. A lot of the good players are leacing. Anyway Norfolk until late January was nothing special. Were they really that good of a team or were they just playing reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy well. Sometimes a team playing hot defies logic and overachieves. Not convinced that it may not have been anything more than just getting hot at the right time.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Not really. Grubauer had a solid first season in SC last year, and Sabourin's a solid backup who could step in as a starter if needed. I wouldn't have minded having some experience behind them, but we'll be going with 2 kids (Anderson & Kostenko) in Reading.

Slight concerns about the defense in front of them, conditionally. If Schilling doesn't make the Caps, he'll be a 25-minute a game guy for us, and you can live with McNeill, Stafford, Kundratek, Brouilette, Marshall, Oleksy & depth behind that. Drop Schilling, and you've got a deep, but not really noteworthy corps there. Not too sure about what help we could get if the NHL goes out, but I can't believe they'd be that stupid again given that it almost killed the sport the first time. Overall, it should be a fun season in the East.
One solid ECHL season doesn't necessarily mean that Grubauer will have success at the AHL level. Hershey has had recent success with ECHL grads in Neuvirth and Holtby, but at some point the law of averages is going to catch up with them.

IMO Sabourin was mediocre at best last season and may not have much left in the tank. I was honestly suprised that he was re-signed so quickly with a number of UFA goalies available.

Reading should be fun to watch this year with Anderson and Kostenko.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
One solid ECHL season doesn't necessarily mean that Grubauer will have success at the AHL level. Hershey has had recent success with ECHL grads in Neuvirth and Holtby, but at some point the law of averages is going to catch up with them.

IMO Sabourin was mediocre at best last season and may not have much left in the tank. I was honestly suprised that he was re-signed so quickly with a number of UFA goalies available.

Reading should be fun to watch this year with Anderson and Kostenko
Good goalies?

Old
08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
There is no "law of averages" at work here. A good young goalie is a good young goalie, and based on his numbers & the reports people gave on him last season, I'm comfortable with Grubauer as a good young goalie. Will he be a Neuvirth? Not likely, but I'm setting the bar at "good", not "Calder Cup lynchpin".

Absolutely will agree to disagree here. Sabo played behind a mediocre (at best) defense most nights, kept us in a lot of games and won a few for us outright. Add in his value as a mentor to the kids, his voice in the locker room an the fact that he wants to play here, and the signing was an absolute lock for Hershey.

Reading should be fun to watch this year with Anderson and Kostenko.
Finally, we agree.
They're going to be a solid team this year, considering the depth already on Hershey's roster and some of the guys the Royals have signed. May have to get down there for a few games. Word is the Royals will possibly be looking to set some discount deals up for Bears STH's working around Hershey off-nights.
Also, note that your question was "You aren't concerned about your goaltending duo?". For most Bears fans, goaltending shapes up as the least of our worries. We have promising youngsters, depth, a veteran presence, and Olaf Kolzig as an organizational goalie coach. We'll be just fine.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
MikeF

Quote:
Also, note that your question was "You aren't concerned about your goaltending duo?". For most Bears fans, goaltending shapes up as the least of our worries. We have promising youngsters, depth, a veteran presence, and Olaf Kolzig as an organizational goalie coach. We'll be just fine.
Agreed. As an Albany Devils fan, I would love to have Hershey's so called problems.

MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Reading might be ok. But Elmira and Reading fans have come to terms with the fact things can change in a microsecond.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:49 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Alright no one is answering my question so I'll ask it again. How about Houston? They'll have a number of good prospects coming in such as Charlie Coyle, Zach Phillips, Brett Bulmer, and Jason Zucker. A few other players that may arrive in Houston, depending on what moves are made between now and the start of the season, include Johan Larsson, Granlund, and Jonas Brodin.

I'm trying not to be a homer but I think they'll have at least a decent team.
That team is never gonna be the same without Yeo.

I think we'll make the playoffs (love the team, go to a ton of games), but don't see us making it past the semis. Really depends on how everyone meshes.

As long as Hackett's still down here, though, we're gonna be good. He was absolutely amazing in the CCF two years ago, I think he's got top 15 potential in the NHL. And the scary thing is that Lehner was easily better.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:49 AM
IceCapsNation

WBS
Syracuse
St. John's

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
CC321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Really? You have lost Picard, Smith and Kostka. Signed no big free agents. Not sure Tokarski will be around in net. I think you are very over expecting. A lot of the good players are leacing. Anyway Norfolk until late January was nothing special. Were they really that good of a team or were they just playing reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy well. Sometimes a team playing hot defies logic and overachieves. Not convinced that it may not have been anything more than just getting hot at the right time.
Picard scored all of 6 goals in the regular season, big whoop, did get hot in the playoffs though. Smith is replaced by Kyle Wilson, an equally good AHL vet. Kostka is replaced by Korobov, a KHL player. Tokarski is under contract, isn't going anywhere and will be joined by Helenius a 1st rd G from a few years back who was dominating the Finnish league. Losing Conacher will hurt, but Namestnikov should help that. Did they just get hot for the last 3 months, maybe, or maybe it just took all the rookies a month or two to settle in. Time will tell.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 4:2 Houston

stayinalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Picard scored all of 6 goals in the regular season, big whoop, did get hot in the playoffs though. Smith is replaced by Kyle Wilson, an equally good AHL vet. Kostka is replaced by Korobov, a KHL player. Tokarski is under contract, isn't going anywhere and will be joined by Helenius a 1st rd G from a few years back who was dominating the Finnish league. Losing Conacher will hurt, but Namestnikov should help that. Did they just get hot for the last 3 months, maybe, or maybe it just took all the rookies a month or two to settle in. Time will tell.
Tokarski won't be up in Tampa as a perhaps backup?