HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 10:37 AM
sighthndlady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

It's really gonna suck if/when the new CBA creates new rules that "fix" these types of contracts, but in the meantime we have to lose our best two players over contracts that probably won't be allowed a year from now.
Or even worse if those contracts get restructured under the new CBA a la the retroactive changes in the the current CBA

Old
07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
I was just answering the posters question. I don't think it makes sense to pay Weber 26 million for one season and then trade him. If we can match, I say match and keep him. Though we really could go to any team and name our price.

I just don't think ownership has this type of liquid capital and I think the contract is BS. Only a handful of teams have that type of liquid capital, on hand, right this second.

I also agree with an earlier poster, a "signing bonus" by definition is a bonus when you actually sign the deal. How the hell is a signing bonus allowed to be carried out for 4 years is beyond me. A signing bonus should be a 1 time payment when the player signs.
I might be mistaken, but I think ironically the "spreading signing bonuses over several years" was supposed to actually HELP small market teams like us who may not be able to offer a monster bonus at the time of signing. If that's the case, then this offer sheet is obviously a total abuse of the spirit of that rule.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Or even worse if those contracts get restructured under the new CBA a la the retroactive changes in the the current CBA

**** our lives. Why can't anything just be easy for us?!

Old
07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I will add this. If we do match this offersheet, I better not see or hear ANYONE *****ing about ticket prices going up because they will indeed go up. I'll happily pay more if I know that they are serious about being a contender.
agreed ... big boy pricing if you're gonna play big boy hockey .... we've been spoiled with incredible pricing for an NHL market

Old
07-22-2012, 11:17 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I will add this. If we do match this offersheet, I better not see or hear ANYONE *****ing about ticket prices going up because they will indeed go up. I'll happily pay more if I know that they are serious about being a contender.
Agree 150%!!!!!

If you want a winner, you have to pay. Fans included. I'm not sure about how our ticket prices stack up to the rest of the league but I'd imagine they are pretty low.

If we do match, I'll become a partial season tix holder. I just moved from Vegas to St Louis so I'm much closer now

Old
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Looks like they're going to be taking the entire 7 days...I'm going crazy here lol.
You shouldn't be surprised bruh

I said earlier, I fully expect this to go the entire 7 days.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
I might be mistaken, but I think ironically the "spreading signing bonuses over several years" was supposed to actually HELP small market teams like us who may not be able to offer a monster bonus at the time of signing. If that's the case, then this offer sheet is obviously a total abuse of the spirit of that rule.
IMO, spreading a $52 million dollar bonus over 4 years is really not helping us. It's hurtin us that te league is allowing this money to be bonus money. I'm all fr a signing bonus and I think a one time, 12 million signing bonus should suffice but 52 million over 4 years is absolutely ludicrous. Think about that...Shea could walk away after 4 years and take nearly HALF of what is supposed to be a 14 year contract. That doesn't sit right with me nor should it with you.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Looks like we are going to take compensation... Sad...
What are the odds the Preds match?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
What are the odds the Preds match?
No clue. 50/50. If they are matching, they might be seeing the trade market for Weber.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:18 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
No clue. 50/50. If they are matching, they might be seeing the trade market for Weber.
What do you mean by that?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IMO, the Preds are taking the full 7 days for one of two reasons. Either...

A) they are working a trade with Philly for picks/players threatening to match.

or

B) they are trying to come up with a way to get to the floor as well as one hell of a PR campaign.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

So, what's the plan B that Poile has been talking about?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:22 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Sucks to see a team making progress towards the cup gutted prematurely.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:22 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
This was it, have Weber sign an OS with Philly.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:28 PM
codeman00

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we are on Plan C and Plan D right now.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Rammstein816

Serious question - why isn't there a poll saying match or don't match? As a visiting fan of another team, I'd not want to ruffle any feathers by posting one on your board, but I am very curious as to see where people stand on this. It's such a difficult decision since there is no guarantee that Weber is the player he is now even half way through the contract, none the less the whole 14 years. This is one of those kind of deals that can either make a franchise or completely sink it and Nashville is a team that I like to see competitive and hopefully win the cup soon.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

I can play some defense.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Serious question - why isn't there a poll saying match or don't match? As a visiting fan of another team, I'd not want to ruffle any feathers by posting one on your board, but I am very curious as to see where people stand on this. It's such a difficult decision since there is no guarantee that Weber is the player he is now even half way through the contract, none the less the whole 14 years. This is one of those kind of deals that can either make a franchise or completely sink it and Nashville is a team that I like to see competitive and hopefully win the cup soon.
I'd say you would find 98% of Predators fans would say to match the offer so there is no reason for a poll, honestly.

Not matching would be much more of a setback than matching.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
I'd say you would find 98% of Predators fans would say to match the offer so there is no reason for a poll, honestly.

Not matching would be much more of a setback than matching.
Interesting to hear. I figured it would be closer to 50/50 given the strong case for either side. The whole situation is eerily familiar to what the Sabres were experiencing back during the Vanek offer sheet days. Since we'd lost Briere and Drury everyone wanted to match. Hindsight shows that it's closer to 50/50, but hindsight is easy. There is quickly developing talk of moving Vanek since his production doesn't match his contract. It's not awful production, but he's not the elite type player that Edmonton thought he'd be when they made that offer. The stark difference in this is that Edmonton didn't have the bully reputation that Philly carries with them every year, rightfully so.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:52 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Agree 150%!!!!!

If you want a winner, you have to pay. Fans included. I'm not sure about how our ticket prices stack up to the rest of the league but I'd imagine they are pretty low.

If we do match, I'll become a partial season tix holder. I just moved from Vegas to St Louis so I'm much closer now

You should e-mail Henry and Cogen and tell them that!

Quote:
IMO, spreading a $52 million dollar bonus over 4 years is really not helping us. It's hurtin us that te league is allowing this money to be bonus money. I'm all fr a signing bonus and I think a one time, 12 million signing bonus should suffice but 52 million over 4 years is absolutely ludicrous. Think about that...Shea could walk away after 4 years and take nearly HALF of what is supposed to be a 14 year contract. That doesn't sit right with me nor should it with you.
I think you misunderstood my point. Of course $52M spread over 4 years isn't helping us. I was saying that I think the rule was created with the idea that maybe some teams can't afford say, a $13M bonus in one year...so they can spread it over a few years, making such a bonus attainable to small-market teams like us. It obviously wasn't intended to spread ludicrous amounts of money over several years like Weber's offer sheet does.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO, the Preds are taking the full 7 days for one of two reasons. Either...

A) they are working a trade with Philly for picks/players threatening to match.

or

B) they are trying to come up with a way to get to the floor as well as one hell of a PR campaign.
Or

C) they are trying to scrounge around for the cash to meet these bonuses.

or

D) they are having our lawyers pore over both the offer sheet and the CBA and trying to make a case to the league that the offer sheet isn't valid.

or

E) all of the above.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Sadly the longer this goes on, the more likely Webs is out the door.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
deftones1986

I have a question for Predators fans.

What does all of this say about Weber wanting to play for your team?

Obviously he has a 50/50 chance of staying or going, but since you all know him better than I do, and you know all about his arbitration, playing along side Suter only to see him leave, and all of this (seemingly) bad blood that has been built.

Do you really want him playing for you or do you just want to stick it to Philly for being a bully?

It just seems to me IMO, that he really believes the Predators don't want to make that huge leap into trying to be a big market team, he waited patiently for a new deal, he got upset that his D partner left, all while the ownership seemed to be waiting around, trying to get unrealistic trades to happen with a guy who (from the other teams perspective) could just be a one year rental.

And you can't blame a guy who lives and breathes hockey, to try and win a championship, and go to a team with his old roomate (L. Schenn) a world class talent (Giroux) and a huge SPORTS market, with a legitimate chance of winning a cup.

And you don't think he consulted with his family first or was this in your eyes as fans just a decision based on him being angry on a no deal?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how you guys really value Weber. If it where me, I'd say let him go as hard as it may be, put some hope in Rinne, leave it up to your management to right all their wrong doings with player-owner relationships (which seem to me to be the domino effect of all of this).

There is just something odd about Suter leaving, and now Weber signs this deal with Philly, leaving Rinne in the dust, something has to be screwed up between players respect for the clubs ownership. And please don't confuse that with the players respect for their fans, but this is a business, and if the players feel like the business aspects are going nowhere as far as the teams future sucess, and trying to build Nashville up to a level of Detroit,Pittsburgh, and other teams with great winning reputations, I wouldn't want to play there either unless I knew I was making great money, hence Weber signing the offer sheet to at least comfort him with playing in Nashville if it may be.

Of course Weber has to admire the Predators faithful, but a teams ownership also has a lot to do with a players intentions to stay right?

And as far as your GM and ownership, they should strongly look at this whole disaster as a wake-up call to rethink their intentions as to what it takes to build a championship team.

I may not be 100% right about all of this because I am just an outsider looking in but something other than what's on the surface seems fishy to me.

These are honest questions and viewpoints here and I'd really like to hear Predators fans thoughts.

Last edited by deftones1986: 07-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 01:24 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Or

C) they are trying to scrounge around for the cash to meet these bonuses.

or

D) they are having our lawyers pore over both the offer sheet and the CBA and trying to make a case to the league that the offer sheet isn't valid.

or

E) all of the above.
I agree with D

or

F) They know they want to match but are putting the heat on philly to give up couts +.

G) They are attempting to work out deals with the 4 picks to way the options.

H) They are enjoying being the number 1 topic in the NHL. Why not take a little time?

Old
07-22-2012, 01:32 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Are Preds fans worried about his concussion history?

I know of 2:

-One last year around December, no?
-Was reading older threads on this board and found a thread from like 2003 or 2004 (in junior) where Weber got hit and got a concussion. Sounded pretty serious
Then why aren't you worried about it as a Philadelphia fan then?

Closed Thread