HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part IV (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Old
07-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Neutrino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Then don't post. Why do you expect people to consider your opinion if you can't even bring yourself to defend them? What makes you so special or privileged that you can spew invalid non-truths and then run away?

If you were Ribeiro's former agent or teammate and were to say "Y'know he's talented but a bit of a jerk" you'd have some credibility at least. But you don't, you're a fan like anyone else but you can't even formulate a single, coherent thought about Ribeiro. You have half-baked opinions and invalid arguments.

And it's not just you, and it's not just Ribeiro - it's an epidemic on the internet.

Any joe-schmoe with a keyboard will just hammer away thoughtlessly, incorrectly, selfishly and expect -demand- attention just for being themselves. That's not how it works: if someone doesn't care to defend their argument then they shouldn't make that argument in the first place. It's all over HFBoards and it's annoying at the very least. It's those brazen psychopaths who call in to sports radio and say things like (verbatim) "Markov should be dumped immediately - I don't care where... Russia! Whatever! He lied to the team and he's sitting on his butt cashing in the checks! It's disgusting!". It's the ADHD-rattled kids on the trade board who instantly dump on any discussion by calling a players worthless "punks" and "divas" - "he's talented but he's a lockeroom cancer". It's the single-minded fools who keep saying "lol yeah but the French media are gonna have a field day with this" - as if every member of the other language's media service suddenly lost all critical thinking capabilities.

Just let the people who can actually think hold discussions and just observe. You'd learn a thing or two in the process and it'd help you form thoughts of your own. Eventually. One day.

And you too, see above.
I wholeheartedly agree my good sir.

That's why I love ******, when having a coherent conversation if you don't contribute something useful you're either ignored or downvoted; feels like some people could have used a little less validation by mommy...

Oh and and BTW, Ribeiro can dress how he damn well pleases. Just because that jewelry could pay for your mortgage doesn't mean there's ANYTHING wrong with it, it just makes you mad and jealous and you shouldn't mix lack of morality with your own insecurities.

Good luck to Ribeiro on this new chapter of his career.

Last edited by Neutrino: 07-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:06 AM
le_sean

He's always been an arrogant ****, but he has reason to be. He's a good player and a multi-millionaire.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:16 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I live in Dallas and went to a Stars game in January when Ribeiro was listed as out with a "knee injury". Went to a trendy club later that night and who do I see at the club? Mike himself. Based on how much he was dancing and partying, I'd say his knee looked fine.
This is exactly the kind of **** I'm sick of.

Apply some critical thinking for god's sake:

1. Injuries get misreported all the time. To prevent opposing players from targeting that vulnerable spot, because the team misreports it intentionally, because the team misreports it unintentionally, because YOU'RE LYING, etc.

2. Just because he was alleged to be too hurt to play first-line minutes at the centre position in the TOUGHEST, FASTEST HOCKEY LEAGUE IN THE WORLD doesn't mean he's too injured to do other things.

3. I don't believe he was dancing up a storm. He missed 7 games and was placed on IR for this knee injury - are you suggesting a pro hockey player would intentionally skip on SEVEN GAMES because he wanted to party in Dallas? What are you suggesting, besides the obvious that is (that you're committing libel and it's against forum rules!).

4. How can you tell that his knee looked fine? Unless he took you home, and you good a good peek at it and he didn't give you cab fare in the morning (which would explain the libel, kinda!).

5. Everyone conveniently forgets his emergency tracheotomy in 2010 where he split open his throat in a Rangers game and was in critical care and missed fifteen games.

What a ******* that guy is, how dare he go to a supperclub!

And again, this has nothing to do with with Mike Ribeiro himself. It's just annoying to see so many stupid, wrong and ultimately worthless opinions thrown about as if they matter. THEY DON'T.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
felixd

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of **** I'm sick of.

Apply some critical thinking for god's sake:

THEY DON'T.
I didn't even read all of this, but if you're that upset about it, I'm assuming you're a personal friend of his or family member so I apologize. You can choose to believe me or not, I honestly don't care, just wanted to share a personal encounter I had with him here in Dallas.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I didn't even read all of this, but if you're that upset about it, I'm assuming you're a personal friend of his or family member so I apologize. You can choose to believe me or not, I honestly don't care, just wanted to share a personal encounter I had with him here in Dallas.
I'm not a friend or a family member, I'm not his anything. I just hate bad arguments that feed into other bad arguments that keep perpetuating bullcrap - and you made a bad argument. I'm "that" upset about it because I like discussing hockey not gossip. Not hateful narratives against hometown players who played for us.

And you didn't encounter him, you noticed him one night when you were out and then you made false allegations against him here based on that one spotting. It's not right and you know it.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
I think you have to factor in the fact that Roy is more injury prone than Ribs, but it's still a pretty even trade off, and I think a better two way center in Roy would be better for a team like Dallas.
31 GP less over a 6 year span. That's not considerably more injury prone IMO. I agree with the rest though.

Quote:
Like DoingItLeBlancWay said (great name btw), Roy's more injury prone and his spat with Ruff this season really turned me off - you're not a star, you're don't contribute in the playoffs and you're tiny, shut the hell up. Roy also played on a more offensively minded team under a much better coach and in an easier division.

Ribs is much, much better than Derek Roy, who just had surgery AGAIN and is on the shelf till November/December at the earliest. Dallas will come to regret this trade so much.
As I said above, 31 GP less in 6 years. Not exactly as bad as you make it out to be. Even so, Roy plays a game that's more engaged than Ribeiro and as such it happens. We're not talking about mike being a defensive physical force who cannot be broken down, we're talking about two guys, one gets injured because he's far more fearless than the other. Not a shot a mike but context is important. I really believe you're more likely to win with a Roy than a Ribeiro but both teams acquired a good fit. Roy is better suited for Dallas and mikes offensive creativity and skills will fit in Washington.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's always been an arrogant ****, but he has reason to be. He's a good player and a multi-millionaire.

This? Is logic?

think "Le Gros Bill"

Please MB character players.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:10 PM
hockeyjockey

Quote:
Then don't post. Why do you expect people to consider your opinion if you can't even bring yourself to defend them? What makes you so special or privileged that you can spew invalid non-truths and then run away?

If you were Ribeiro's former agent or teammate and were to say "Y'know he's talented but a bit of a jerk" you'd have some credibility at least. But you don't, you're a fan like anyone else but you can't even formulate a single, coherent thought about Ribeiro. You have half-baked opinions and invalid arguments.

And it's not just you, and it's not just Ribeiro - it's an epidemic on the internet.

Any joe-schmoe with a keyboard will just hammer away thoughtlessly, incorrectly, selfishly and expect -demand- attention just for being themselves. That's not how it works: if someone doesn't care to defend their argument then they shouldn't make that argument in the first place. It's all over HFBoards and it's annoying at the very least. It's those brazen psychopaths who call in to sports radio and say things like (verbatim) "Markov should be dumped immediately - I don't care where... Russia! Whatever! He lied to the team and he's sitting on his butt cashing in the checks! It's disgusting!". It's the ADHD-rattled kids on the trade board who instantly dump on any discussion by calling a players worthless "punks" and "divas" - "he's talented but he's a lockeroom cancer". It's the single-minded fools who keep saying "lol yeah but the French media are gonna have a field day with this" - as if every member of the other language's media service suddenly lost all critical thinking capabilities.

Just let the people who can actually think hold discussions and just observe. You'd learn a thing or two in the process and it'd help you form thoughts of your own. Eventually. One day.

And you too, see above.
Me too what? I don't follow?

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Danadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
They will balance ther lines. I suspect Ribs will play with Ovy. The best passer with the best scorer.
Not quite sure I understand... Backstrom is the best passer of the two.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:19 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Not quite sure I understand... Backstrom is the best passer of the two.
Backstrom can and should produce without Ovy by his hip. It'd probably help both of them to split them up for a time (like Vinny and MSL) and generate two 1st lines.

Backstrom is a legit 1st line centre and Ribero-Ovy is a legit 1st line - Adam Oates just has to tap into his riches - Bruce never had a 2nd line centre.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Danadiens

Quote:
Backstrom can and should produce without Ovy by his hip. It'd probably help both of them to split them up for a time (like Vinny and MSL) and generate two 1st lines.

Backstrom is a legit 1st line centre and Ribero-Ovy is a legit 1st line - Adam Oates just has to tap into his riches - Bruce never had a 2nd line centre.
Oh I agree with that. I just thought the part where Ribs is a better passer than Backstrom was wrong.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:25 PM
the

Saku Koivu to carry Olympic torch tuesday. Well deserved for a man we should have never let walk away.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Saku Koivu to carry Olympic torch tuesday. Well deserved for a man we should have never let walk away.
Especially not for who we decided to go for.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:42 AM
Mike8

Quote:

Marcus Johansson.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Koivu is god

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:03 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Marcus Johansson.
You're kidding right? He joined the league two seasons ago, and had 27 points in his first year and 46 in his second. Hardly an established second-line centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Koivu is god
He's insanely overrated by Habs fan due to nostalgia. I get why but imagine if we had a real star player for that 10 years instead of a 50pt centre?

Old
07-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Phailak

Koivu should be passing the Habs captaincy torch when he retires

Phailak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
He's insanely overrated by Habs fan due to nostalgia. I get why but imagine if we had a real star player for that 10 years instead of a 50pt centre?
Let's not forget that before his first big knee injury, he was over a PPG in the season, actually, he was the most productive player in the NHL. But well, after that, he just couldn't fly up the ice anymore, was relying heavily on his skating abilities...

Anyway, there were a lot of atrocious management during those years, and equally bad drafting and development. So he never really had the chance to play up to his potential.

He still is a perseverance icon, and I'm pretty sure he inspired a lot of kids that he met at the hospital, and he helped quite a lot of people with his foundation.

He's no 'god', but let's not downplay him please.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Well well, the guy that got upset that people didn't like Ribeiro is now upset at the people that likes Koivu.

First of all, who are you to tell us why Koivu is loved, idolized and respected here. There's many reason why so many people still lilke him and it has nothing to do with nostalgia like you said.

Second, please learn how to use the word "overrated" properly. Noboby here is talking about his production or how good he is compared to other players.. So I don't see why you are using the word "overrated" and talking about his production.

You know what, for a player that has a production between 50-60pts in his career but still have so many fans, I think he deserves more praise than anything.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Koivu spent years playing with Brian Savage and Sergei Zholtok. He was a 50 point 1st line center playing with 3rd line wingers. In his best season (75 points) he had checking line winger Christopher Higgins and second line winger Michael Ryder on his line.

Koivu went through a massive knee injury, cancer, and a stick in the eye.

He outplayed Joe Thornton in a memorable playoff series.

He was dumped for Gomez. Gomez shows up and gets Gionta and Cammalleri on his first day. He gets twice Koivu's salary, and he costs us Higgins and McDonagh.

And then Koivu massively outproduces Gomez in every conceivable metric in the following two seasons.

The only rating error of Koivu by Habs fans are the idiots who though Gomez would be an upgrade back in the summer of 2009.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Mike8

Quote:
You're kidding right? He joined the league two seasons ago, and had 27 points in his first year and 46 in his second. Hardly an established second-line centre.
So 2nd year players can't be 2nd line centers...?

He had the 3rd most points on the Capitals--4th in points per game (behind Backstrom, Ovechkin, Semin). He was 42nd in the league among centers in points. He's terrific at carrying the puck up in transition, has good speed and puck possession skills, and he's fundamentally strong.

Yup, he counts as a good 2nd line C.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:01 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
So last week you defended Ribeiro as if he were basically your brother and now you say that Koivu is "insanely overrated by Habs fans due to nostalgia". Koivu, who did MANY great things for the city of Montreal and who was a hero to MANY children (not just on a hockey front) isn't just "insanely overrated due to nostalgia". He deserves all the praise he gets and I would welcome him back to Montreal any time with open arms. Get a ****ing grip.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
The problem that some people don't understand is that Saku Koivu played with scrubs his whole ****ing career. I don't think many players would produce at a PPG pace with players like Rucinsky, Savage, Petrov, Zednik, etc. Like mentioned by others, he lead the league in scoring before that knee injury, ahead of players like Lemieux and Gretzky. Injury ruined a good career that could have been a great one.

Another thing some people should be blaming management rather than Saku Koivu. Maybe if the management brought depth and talent to the team Koivu would have been able to contribute more. Our management back then (and it's still the case in the last couple of years) never maximized our assets to get good value in return. Let's say we don't trade half of our team for 5 years of Mark Recchi, let's say we get more than Shayne Corson for Pierre Turgeon who was coming off at 96 pts season and was still an elite #1 center, let's say we draft better or get players for Damphousse instead of getting Marc-Andre Thinel and Marcel Hossa out of it, let's say we get more than Jim Montgomery for Carbonneau who still had some solid hockey to offer, etc. I can go on for a while about this. We started having a credible team once Gainey settled in but Koivu's best years especially after his cancer were behind him.

The people that criticize Koivu for his production are the same that say Plekanec is not a #1 center but a good #2 center. Some people have to realize that 70 pts in today's NHL is top 10 production for centers and it mainly depends on who you play with. Saku Koivu hit 70+ pts twice with wingers such as Ryder, Higgins and Zednik. Not many centers would do better.

Anyway, I'm still insulted by those bums who made a rally for Kovalev but nothing for Saku Koivu which is a slap to the face to the man who represented our franchise for more than a decade and contributed so much to this team on and off the ice.

Last edited by Chris Cutter: 07-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Turning Latendresse, Higgins and a multitude of scrubs into top 6 players. Normally I agree with you but you are out to lunch here. Koivu was an excellent player surrounded with trash. Many nights he would carry the team. He might not have got the most points but he belonged on the top line.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote