HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt VII)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseonewillis View Post
I'm a little worried Poile will demand the Schenn brothers as an agreement not to match in return for 2 of phillys draft picks back.
Very realistic for this to happen. Poile still needs a competitive team and he will do whatever it takes if he loses weber to get the most in return for him

Old
07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

If the Preds dont match they will never shed the small market farm team stigma. I would have preferred Weber in Detroit, but seeing him and Suter leave Nashville just sent them back to the stone age so it's a silver lining, albeit a small one.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Agreed. But for those that assume they will match... why weren't they discussing a contract with Shea instead of shopping him around earlier this week?
How do we know they weren't doing both?

Old
07-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Broad Street Elite

At this point, I am confident that Eklund's dog is a more legitimate rumor source than HockeyI....

Old
07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
crazyforhockey

question for phi fans then.....if Nas was going to match unless they received an adequate trade
from Phi.....

would you walk away or bump up a trade to get Weber

keep in mind if Poilie figures he can get more in a years time for a signed Weber he matches

Last edited by DaveG: 07-22-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: removed qdp
Old
07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
question for phi fans then.....if Nas was going to match unless they received an adequate trade
from Phi.....

keep in mind if Poilie figures he can get more in a years time for a signed Weber he matches
What does 'adequate trade' equal?

They weren't getting Schenn or Couturier..

And you don't waste 27m in one season to trade the player away..

Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
from Phi.....

Yes, but that's not an optopn for the Predators, whether Poile could get more or not, they will NOT match the offer sheet and trade Weber in a year.

As for your question, let's just say it depends. Would I mind if we got a 1st back for Voracek? No. Two 1sts for the Schenn brothers? Yes.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
from Phi.....

You can keep him.

Thats the point of an offersheet.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtemper View Post
Can Nashville trade his rights right now?

I mean because they can't trade him for a year if they match the offer sheet so can they just trade his rights before the deadline is up and have the team they traded him to match the offer?

If so I could see that scenario happening as a big middle finger to the flyers organization.
The amount of times the same question has been asked across these threads has been immense. Just read back a page or two mate, it's been answered a dozen times.

Weber currently belongs to the Flyers.

I can see Poile bluffing to Holmgren. If he decides he can't match he'll try and get a few players out of us in response. Not very classy

Old
07-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
The amount of times the same question has been asked across these threads has been immense. Just read back a page or two mate, it's been answered a dozen times.

Weber currently belongs to the Flyers.
No one ever bothers to read the OP.. which come to think of it, i didn't put the FAQ in

Old
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Krishna

FAQ
1. What's the compensation? The average value is just 7.857M, doesnt that mean it's only 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd?
A: No, as per CBA 10.4, the term used in an offersheet calculation is the lower of the term of the contract and five years. 110M/5 = 22M. 22M > 8.4M. Compensation is four first round picks.

2: How long does nashville have to make a decision?
A: Per CBA 10.3 B+C, if nashville does not exercise their right of first refusal within seven days, Shea Weber can sign a contract with the flyers matching the terms of this offersheet.

3: Can nashville match and trade him?
A: Nashville cannot trade him for one calendar year from the time they match the offersheet. If they wait the full seven days, they cannot trade him until July 26th 2013 (CBA 10.3 B)

4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?
A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

5. What if nashville trades him right now to another team?
A: Nashville cannot trade him once he has signed the offersheet (CBA 10.3 A)

Old
07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
FadeToBlack

Friend told me last night that word is Weber doesn't want to play for NSH any more and will be upset, but understanding, if they match the offer.

I don't think they have the financial ability to match... it's just a horrible, horrible business decision to match this contract thanks to the uber front-loaded nature. It could easily bankrupt the team if there's a substantial strike/lockout this offseason.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
Friend told me last night that word is Weber doesn't want to play for NSH any more and will be upset, but understanding, if they match the offer.

I don't think they have the financial ability to match... it's just a horrible, horrible business decision to match this contract thanks to the uber front-loaded nature. It could easily bankrupt the team if there's a substantial strike/lockout this offseason.
The first part his agent has said numerous times

2nd part is why it's probably taking so long for them to decide

Old
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:

Nice job homer did..

Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Trade will end up being

Weber

FOR

Read
Meszaros
Gustafsson
two 1st rounders

Predators trade 2 of the 1st rounders back to Philly for Read, Meszaros and Gustafsson.

Good deal for Nashville. They will get other good assets for the other picks.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:31 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
from Phi.....

If they have the $$$ to match, they will. They're not going to swallow a gigantic payout then move him when the contract is a bargain. No need to add.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Trade will end up being

Weber

FOR

Read
Meszaros
Gustafsson
two 1st rounders

Predators trade 2 of the 1st rounders back to Philly for Read, Meszaros and Gustafsson.

Promise? No take backs...

Old
07-22-2012, 11:33 AM
ELab2

Quote:
from Phi.....

I ABSOLUTELY make the trade. At the end of the day, the objective was to get a long-term locked up Weber, and if we couldn't we'd at least substantially decrease the likelihood that he ever ends up with a rival.

Nashville and Philly already had trade discussions, Holmgren should remain willing to offer the maximum that he was willing to offer before the offer sheet. I hope he can come down less than that, and perhaps he will, but there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do now what you were willing to do before particularly now that you've got him locked up for life.

I think Nashville can still get a very good deal even without Schenn or Couturier. My preference is not to trade either, but I would be willing to trade one if they were the only forward dealt.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Trade will end up being

Weber

FOR

Read
Meszaros
Gustafsson
two 1st rounders

That's basically what everyone has suggested.. usually with Voracek instead of read, but still similar

Old
07-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Players like Meszaros, Read and Voracek are just about replaceable, late first round picks can be picked up via NCAA pick-ups. Weber is absolutely unreplaceable without substantial outlay.

Meszaros, Simmonds and two first-rounders for Weber. Don't want to give up Read and his cap hit isn't much help for Nashville anyway.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Trade will end up being

Weber

FOR

Read
Meszaros
Gustafsson
two 1st rounders

Nah, substitute read for the rights to Voracek. Read is extremely inexpensive. The predators need to get to the cap floor. Flyers need to stay awsy from the ceiling. Meaning they'd keep read and give away Voracek most likely.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

If Weber is gone, Nashville will lose more than 27 million dollars next year. Ticket sales, merchandise, everything. They need Weber.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Trade will end up being

Weber

FOR

Read
Meszaros
Gustafsson
two 1st rounders

Can't see Nashville having interest in Gustafsson, they have plenty of young defenseman with potential they can give those minutes to.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
If Weber is gone, Nashville will lose more than 27 million dollars next year. Ticket sales, merchandise, everything. They need Weber.
They need a star, but i'm fairly convinced now that they can't afford Weber. He's not the only star in the game and they'll have a lot of picks and prospects to pick another one up.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:46 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseonewillis View Post
Nah, substitute read for the rights to Voracek. Read is extremely inexpensive. The predators need to get to the cap floor. Flyers need to stay awsy from the ceiling. Meaning they'd keep read and give away Voracek most likely.
Am I the only one who likes Voracek, especially with JVR now gone? (Not saying I wouldn't trade him but the way he is spoken about by some is like a throw in)

Closed Thread