HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

General arrest thread (49ers DE Ray McDonald the latest)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Chiefs CB Donald Washington is the latest.....

Quote:
Stopped on I-70 for speeding on Thursday afternoon, an Illinois State Police trooper detected the odor of marijuana. He found a small quantity in a backpack in the trunk.

He was charged with driving under the influence of drugs, unlawful possession of marijuana, speeding and driving on a suspended license.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gton-arrested/

Old
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Rickety Cricket

Prefix! Prefix! Prefix!...

Old
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Lost in all of this is how most of them seem like horrid drivers too.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
The DWI's and DUI are an absolute joke given the NFL provides players with hotline to call if they are too drunk to drive

Old
07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Most pathetic thing about the run of DUI/DWI's? IIRC, the NFLPA has a car service all set up and provided for.

07-21-2012, 11:06 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The DWI's and DUI are an absolute joke given the NFL provides players with hotline to call if they are too drunk to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Most pathetic thing about the run of DUI/DWI's? IIRC, the NFLPA has a car service all set up and provided for.
Yep.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Afino
The Juice

Aaron Berry strikes again.

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/0...second-time-3/

Thursday’s start of training camp can’t get here soon enough for the Lions. An offseason filled with arrests, citations and bad press increased by one today with the reports of cornerback Aaron Berry being arrested for a second time in a month.

Berry was arrested early Saturday morning in his hometown of Harrisburg (Pa.) and charged with three counts of simple assault for allegedly brandishing a firearm, Harrisburg (Pa.) City Police told detroitlions.com.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Dubi Doo

The nfl is becoming a disgrace. They need harsher penalties. Whatever they're doing now obviously isn't working.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Prefix! Prefix! Prefix!...
The people demand a prefix.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:21 PM
kov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Thursday’s start of training camp can’t get here soon enough for the Lions. An offseason filled with arrests, citations and bad press increased by one today with the reports of cornerback Aaron Berry being arrested for a second time in a month.
Depressing summer for Lions fans, I imagine. It'd be easier to write off if they haven't had discipline problems *on* the field as well. Put them together, it seems plausible that they're not gonna do any better in penalty yardage than last year and they just might do worse. And it seems like that is an important thing holding them back from progressing to the next level.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:33 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

NFL needs harsher penalties for arrests, this is an alarming rate

Old
07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
NFL needs harsher penalties for arrests, this is an alarming rate
I would agree with you but there is something called innocent until proven guilty. One of the biggest mistakes an insistution or corporation has done is disiplined someone before the person has yet to be convicted of a crime. In many cases, someone who gets displined after an arrest have either been found not guilty or have had the charges dropped. Duke University made this huge mistake with regards to a few of its mens lacross players arrested for **** and yet the charges were dropped.

Now if the player is found guilty and you want to see a harsh minimum punishment in place, then I'm all for it plus any additional punishment to go along with a mandatory minimum depending what what the player is convicted of.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'm adding arrests as a stat category in the Fantasy league I run this year.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I would agree with you but there is something called innocent until proven guilty. One of the biggest mistakes an insistution or corporation has done is disiplined someone before the person has yet to be convicted of a crime. In many cases, someone who gets displined after an arrest have either been found not guilty or have had the charges dropped. Duke University made this huge mistake with regards to a few of its mens lacross players arrested for **** and yet the charges were dropped.

Now if the player is found guilty and you want to see a harsh minimum punishment in place, then I'm all for it plus any additional punishment to go along with a mandatory minimum depending what what the player is convicted of.
They could institute a moral character/poor judgement clause. Make it small fine ($500-1000) for every arrest, and have it donated to a local charity. Pro athletes are public figures, when they screw up, people notice. If there is money attached to it, maybe players will be less likely to take those risks.

And in the case of the DUI/DWI's, IIRC most teams have safe ride programs set up to avoid things like that, yet they still happen.

I feel that when there's smoke, there's fire. Most people don't get arrested, those that do, usually have it happen for a reason.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
They could institute a moral character/poor judgement clause. Make it small fine ($500-1000) for every arrest, and have it donated to a local charity. Pro athletes are public figures, when they screw up, people notice. If there is money attached to it, maybe players will be less likely to take those risks.

And in the case of the DUI/DWI's, IIRC most teams have safe ride programs set up to avoid things like that, yet they still happen.

I feel that when there's smoke, there's fire. Most people don't get arrested, those that do, usually have it happen for a reason.
Yea but, what if the NFL player was inside his own home and the police arrest the athlete despite the fact the police went to the wrong house? Are you going to punish the player in the moral character/poor judgement clause?

I would agree to have such a clause as it relates to everyone in the organizaion regardless of the individual gets arrested or not. However, such a thing doesn't even work that well in any establishment since there is always a conflict of what morals/ethics should be in place let alone the fact that the rules and policies are not applied fairly from top to bottom. If fact, its more common for management to get away with very serious offenses where as the peon's often get a harsh punishment for alot less or nothing at all.

Once again, innocent until proven guilty! If only a place like Duke would have learned about this sooner.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-22-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Once again, innocent until proven guilty! If only a place like Duke would have learned about this sooner.
Or society in general. For cripes sakes Nancy Grace is a giant potstirrer when it comes to this stuff.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Clowe Me

No excuses for anyone to drive drunk, especially millionaires with so much to lose.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Or society in general. For cripes sakes Nancy Grace is a giant potstirrer when it comes to this stuff.
Excatly. All of us what people to be on their best behavor at all times no mater what and that is not going to happen. If anything the problem with the these arrests taking place(while the media is making it sound like a high % NFL players are getting arrested) is that there is nothing really the NFL can do with the players in or about to enter in from getting into trouble. What is going to determine wheather or not the players of the next generation coming in to be all model citizens is if you manage to change the environment in which they are growing up in that contributes to the ones who are breaking the law.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-22-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
No excuses for anyone to drive drunk, especially millionaires with so much to lose.
I'm not arguing that there is an excuse, I'm arguing that an establishment should punish an employee only is he/she is found guilty!!!

What if the player is driving sober and the police he give him test to see if he is drunk turns out to be inaccurate? Should the NFL still punish him even if it is yet to be proven in court that the test was not only inaccurate but the evidence shows he wasn't over the legal limit?

Old
07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
I'm not arguing that there is an excuse, I'm arguing that an establishment should punish an employee only is he/she is found guilty!!!

What if the player is driving sober and the police he give him test to see if he is drunk turns out to be inaccurate? Should the NFL still punish him even if it is proven in court that the test was not only inaccurate but the evidence shows he wasn't over the legal limit?
I'm not arguing with you or any of your points, I'm just commenting on dui's and dwi's, in general.

I agree that everyone SHOULD be innocent until proven guilty, but with the media spin professionals combined with pessimistic society, that simply isn't the case.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov View Post
Depressing summer for Lions fans, I imagine. It'd be easier to write off if they haven't had discipline problems *on* the field as well. Put them together, it seems plausible that they're not gonna do any better in penalty yardage than last year and they just might do worse. And it seems like that is an important thing holding them back from progressing to the next level.
What's odd is that Detroit was among the cleanest, if not the cleanest, team in the NFL the past ten years in terms of off the field problems.

This summer has been a nightmare though and has all stemmed from guys that have only been here a year or two.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:32 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
What's odd is that Detroit was among the cleanest, if not the cleanest, team in the NFL the past ten years in terms of off the field problems.

This summer has been a nightmare though and has all stemmed from guys that have only been here a year or two.
Far too depressed to get wasted in the off-season? And perhaps there was something to be said about Fire Millen et al and discipline, although Joe Cullen was an assistant coach during the Fire Millen era, and he was arrested for driving drunk, while also naked.

The Lions were probably just a sad sack organization for so long, the players don't know how to handle being over .500 again.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...19283368574978
Lions cut CB Aaron Berry this morning.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Reality Check

Yikes..cutting Barry had to come down from the Ford's as they were counting on him a lot this year

Old
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Yikes..cutting Barry had to come down from the Ford's as they were counting on him a lot this year
Yeah the Lions secondary still has major issues ,, This wont help

Closed Thread