HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Organization Report

Old
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
candyman82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

1)(with Gaborik Iinjured)

Kreider-Richards-Doan
Huselius-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Pyatt
Asham-Halpern-Boyle

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Staal
Stralman-Rozsival

Jesus Christ
Biron
Do you think Kreider will earn the #1 LW spot out of camp?

Also, I don't think Huselius would fit well with Tortorella

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
hmm I dunno. They threw Silf in there in the playoffs last year, they must be high on him. I think he gets a crack at the top 6 before Regin.

Why would they qualify Daug though? They knew he would go to arbitration and get a 1-way... they must be ok with it no? Is arbitration even allowed to award 2-way contracts? Not sure how it works.

The AHL team is stacked, they must want Daug back...
Using that line of reasoning, then Stone will also get that chance, and Stone assisted on Spezza's game 5 winner.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Do you think Kreider will earn the #1 LW spot out of camp?

Also, I don't think Huselius would fit well with Tortorella
I know Kreider will earn the #1 LW spot out of camp. Our depth is the Mojave Desert right now.

And yes, I know skill doesn't fit well with Torts, that's why we can't score. But that's just my roster. The real team will surely have way too many grinders so he'll be very happy.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's management's decision, not mine.
Carlyle wanting to try JVR at center does not mean he is slotted to be our number one center. Chances of him succeeding there are close to zero, and it's not what he was brought in for. There are literally 4 centers on the roster that have put up more points than JVR in a season.

Quote:
Calm the hell down man. We're in the middle of July. Of course the roster isn't accurate. Jesus Christ.
Sure, but it doesn't take much to be as accurate as possible.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:28 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I know Kreider will earn the #1 LW spot out of camp. Our depth is the Mojave Desert right now.

And yes, I know skill doesn't fit well with Torts, that's why we can't score. But that's just my roster. The real team will surely have way too many grinders so he'll be very happy.
I didn't mean skill, I meant play style/proneness to injury. Huselius isn't good for much defensively, and I don't think his body can withstand the kind of play Tortorella demands.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Ottawa Senators

1) Starting Line-up
Jakob Silfverberg - Jason Spezza - Milan Michalek
Guillaume Latendresse - Kyle Turris - Daniel Alfredsson
Colin Greening - Zach Smith - Chris Neil
Peter Regin - Jim O'Brien - Erik Condra
Kaspars Daugavins - Bobby Butler

Jared Cowen - Erik Karlsson
Chris Phillips - Sergei Gonchar
Marc Methot - Mike Lundin
Mark Borowiecki

Craig Andersson
Ben Bishop
My only concern is with your starting line-up. Both Silfverberg and Regin are natural centres I believe. I don't know if any of them have played on the left before.

Also it may be that eventually Cowen will be paired with Karlsson but until you find a replacement for Gonchar, we can't have our two oldest Dmen playing together... not unless they see bottom pairing minutes.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:47 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherith Cutestory View Post
Using that line of reasoning, then Stone will also get that chance, and Stone assisted on Spezza's game 5 winner.
Immediately following that game, they took Stone out in favor of Silfverberg. My argument stands, in fact is reinforced because Stone played so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post
My only concern is with your starting line-up. Both Silfverberg and Regin are natural centres I believe. I don't know if any of them have played on the left before.

Also it may be that eventually Cowen will be paired with Karlsson but until you find a replacement for Gonchar, we can't have our two oldest Dmen playing together... not unless they see bottom pairing minutes.
I'm pretty sure Silfverberg played LW all year. Regin has played LW in the past and someone has to move over.

Pairing Cowen with Karlsson is putting the 2 best D together and having them play 25 min and against top lines. Switch Methot with Phillips if you want.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I didn't mean skill, I meant play style/proneness to injury. Huselius isn't good for much defensively, and I don't think his body can withstand the kind of play Tortorella demands.
The same could've been said about Gaborik, but he's worked out pretty ok for NYR so far.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
:

1)
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Granlund-Seto
Mitchell-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Powe-Kenopka-Cullen

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Gilbert
Scandella-Falk

Backstrom
Harding

Veilloux, Kassian, Stoner, scratches

Honestly don't know what to do with Cullen. Probably switch out with Bouchard, since PMB is penciled in, rather than inked.

TOP CALL UPS
Zucker, Coyle, Larsson, Cuma, Hackett

2)
Koivu- 2-way player that provides leadership and hard work. Can put up 70 points
Parise-Non-stop motor and heart and hopefully pops in 30 goals
Heatley-Hopefully regains half of his previous form and is able to shove in the open netters this year. One of the few players healthy all of last year. Great in the locker room and played hard in both ends.
Setoguchi- Hopefully has a better offseason without getting hit by a car and puts in 25-30. Speedster with a nice shot
Granlund-Shifty playmaker with a deceptive delivery.
Bouchard- Playmaker that team's success was dependent on last year
Suter- Great defenseman that hopes to contribute in the offensive end as well
Brodin- Lidstrom lite about to break out in front of the world
Backs- Consistent tender, positionally sound

3) Your team's wants

Top 4 d.

4) Your team's surplus

#5-6 defensemen. Prosser, Falk, Stoner, Genoway, fighting for one, maybe 2 spots.

4b) A list of potential pieces that you could see being trade bait, either to buy or to sell.

Backs at the trade deadline if we are out of it. Clutterbuck.

5) A list of your organization's top prospects, preferably with a small description for each one. Especially helpful would include ETA.

Granlund, C- We all know what he does
Brodin, D- Lidstrom Lite
Coyle, C- PWF that makes home in front of the net
Dumba, D- Hard hitting offensive defensemen
Hackett, G- Potential #1 starter
Zucker, LW- Speedy winger that has some scoring touch
Bulmer, RW- A bull. Hard hitting player that can provide some points
Larsson- 2-way player with scoring potential

6) Strengths of your organization

Best free agents want to come here.

Probably the prospect pool at the moment. One of the strongest in the NHL.

7) Organizational Weaknesses

If we're going in the past, our waste of picks from the previous GM. Sheppard, Gillies, Cuma. Bleh.

8) The draft picks your team has for the next two drafts. ('13 and '14)

2013: 1 2 3 NJD 3 SJS 4 5 6 7 7 NYR

Retained all of there own

9) Spending to the cap. Not in trouble considering we have Bouchard, Cullen, Backstrom, and Heatley coming off within the next 2 years. Looking to fill spots from within.

10) And finally, a somewhat unbiased prediction of how your team's season will go.

Hopefully a playoff spot. I'm looking for something in the area of 6-8. Don't see them going too much lower, also don't see them dominating right away with so much changed. Time will tell.

Last edited by Victorious Secret: 07-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:57 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
The same could've been said about Gaborik, but he's worked out pretty ok for NYR so far.
It could, but Huselius doesn't have the skill that Gaborik has. Also, he has missed I believe 100 out of his last 106 games. He still hasn't been medically cleared from a groin injury in early December that was only supposed to last 4-6 weeks. If he can return to his past ability, it would be a coup for whoever gets him, but I truly doubt that he will ever play another season in the NHL

Old
07-22-2012, 02:04 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
It could, but Huselius doesn't have the skill that Gaborik has. Also, he has missed I believe 100 out of his last 106 games. He still hasn't been medically cleared from a groin injury in early December that was only supposed to last 4-6 weeks. If he can return to his past ability, it would be a coup for whoever gets him, but I truly doubt that he will ever play another season in the NHL
Fair enough. I didn't realize he still wasn't cleared to play.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:07 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Carlyle wanting to try JVR at center does not mean he is slotted to be our number one center. Chances of him succeeding there are close to zero, and it's not what he was brought in for. There are literally 4 centers on the roster that have put up more points than JVR in a season.

Sure, but it doesn't take much to be as accurate as possible.
Carlyle wanting to try JvR at centre means he's going to be at centre, likely for the opening day roster. I think it's a stupid idea, but I'm not going to ignore it, because I want to be "as accurate as possible." Predicting scratches is a complete *hitshow; it's kind of retarded to call me on Tim Connolly. I think the guys listed are more capable than he is. Whatever. The defense pairings are all pairings we've seen either in full or part time capacity. They're also difficult to predict because Carlyle hasn't finalized them yet. Everything I listed has basis.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498

1) Starting Line-up
as of right now:
Alexander Semin - Eric Staal - Tuomo Ruutu
Jeff Skinner - Jordan Staal - Jussi Jokinen
Jiri Tlusty - Jeremy Welsh - Chad LaRose
Andreas Nodl - Tim Brent - Patrick Dwyer
Anthony Stewart

Joni Pitkanen - Jamie McBain
Jay Harrison - Justin Faulk
Tim Gleason - Joe Corvo

Cam Ward
Brian Boucher* (starts season on IR)
Justin Peters

Top Call-ups:
Drayson Bowman (LW, RW), Zach Boychuk (LW), Zac Dalpe (C, RW), Riley Nash (C), Jerome Samson (RW), Brett Sutter (LW), Bobby Sanguinetti (D), MA Gragnani (D)

2) Descriptions
Eric Staal - C - Captain of the franchise and a cornerstone player for almost a decade now. Difficult to handle due to his size, speed, and overall goal scoring ability, he's also added more of a playmaking aspect to his game the past few years. 30-50 or better this season would not be out of the question.

Cam Ward - G - One of three holdovers from the 05-06 Cup team still on the roster (the other being LaRose) Ward's emerged as one of the best goalies in the league after a rocky couple seasons post-Cup. Should be expected to play around 70 games again as backup Boucher is injured.

Jordan Staal - C - Younger brother of Eric, a perennial Selke threat with Pittsburgh he was acquired this past draft for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and the #8 pick. Will be expected to carry more of an offensive role with the Hurricanes, and should be a Selke finalist if his defensive game from Pittsburgh carries over with added offensive output.

Jeff Skinner - LW - One of the leagues young stars, not even yet legal to drink he already has a major award (Calder) and over 100 points to his record. Should be expected to rebound this season and if he develops some chemistry with either of the Staals could produce at or close to a point per game pace.

Justin Faulk - D - Went somewhat unnoticed at Minnesota-Duluth despite having a dominant freshman season where he was the best defenseman on the National Championship side. He was more known for having a very solid WJC that year outshining the more highly touted Jon Merrill for the US. Had a real breakout in Canes training camp and started the season in the NHL rather then as expected in the AHL. After a brief stint in the AHL early season he would spend the rest of the year on the Canes leading all rookie dmen in goal scoring, time on ice, and leading all Canes dmen in time on ice. Not sure what to expect yet for this season but could possibly be a #1 dman for the Canes within a few years.

3) Wants
a) Top 6 winger - no longer need, signed Alexander Semin
b) Top 4 defensive dman
c) 3rd line C
d) Size on 4th line

4) Surplus
a) Puck moving defensemen
b) NHL ready forward prospects (Bowman, Boychuk, Samson, Dalpe, Nash)
c) Checking line depth

Trade Bait
a) Jamie McBain (may not be on the market after re-signing this offseason on bargain contract)
b) Jussi Jokinen
c) Zach Boychuk

5) Prospects
1 - Ryan Murphy - D, Kitchener Rangers
possibly the most talented offensive defenseman prospect in all of hockey right now. Tremendous skating ability, hockey sense, creativity, and heavy shot. Only downside is that he's a bit undersized so it will be interesting to see how he keeps up with the pro game.
ETA: 2012-13 or 2013-14

2 - Victor Rask - C, Calgary Hitmen
Rask, after being touted as a possible top 5 pick heading into the 2011 draft, fell to the Canes in the 2nd round where they quickly snagged the playmaking center from Sweden. From there he went on to play in the WHL where he had a solid season finishing 3rd among all first-year WHL players. His footspeed isn't the best, but he's strong in all zones and is competent as both a goal scorer and playmaker. He'll either play in Charlotte or Calgary next season, but there are questions as to if there will be roster space in Charlotte depending on what happens with the impending lockout and how long it will last.
ETA: 2014-15

3 - Zac Dalpe - C/RW, Charlotte Checkers
After a tremendous rookie season with Charlotte Dalpe entered the Canes training camp with every expectation of taking the open top 6 forward spot left by Cole's departure for Montreal. That didn't happen and he was injured in camp, leading to a slow recovery for Dalpe who didn't nearly match his numbers from the prior season. That said, there's a ton of room for optimism heading into next season that he'll bounce back and may even take a spot in camp.
ETA: 2012-13 or 2013-14

4 - Jeremy Welsh - C, Union College/Carolina Hurricanes
Slipped under the radar to emerge as one of the best power forward prospects at Union the past couple seasons, enroute to a Frozen Four appearance this year. Big, strong two-way forward that loves to initiate contact. Could use some work on his foot speed but otherwise looks to be a solid top 9er for the Canes both short and long term.
ETA: 2012-13

5 - Philip Di Giuseppe - LW, Michigan University
Had a big Freshman season for the Wolverines finishing 6th in team scoring as one of the youngest players in college hockey. Solid overall offensive game and a decent two-way game makes him a strong prospect, but he's a few years off.
ETA: 2015-16

6) Strengths
a) Deep and big down the middle with the Staal bros (6'4, 6'4), Welsh (6'3), Brent (6'0), Dalpe (6'1), Nash (6'1), and Rask (6'2)
b) Goaltending, Ward's been among the best in the game the past 4 seasons.
c) Checking line depth. Brent, Nodl, Dwyer, Stewart, Wallace, Blanchard, Nash, and Brett Sutter are all NHL capable players.
d) Puck moving defensemen. Few teams have the combination of quality and depth in this regard that the Canes do.

7) Weaknesses
a) Physical defensemen. Gleason and Harrison have a physical element to their game, but unless Faulk takes that next step towards being a dominant overall dman and Pitkanen utilizes his size more often they'll be lacking in this regard.
b) Top 6 wingers. One of Chad LaRose, Drayson Bowman, or Jiri Tlusty is in the top 6 as of now... enough said. - fixed, signed Alexander Semin
c) Goaltending depth. The prospect ranks are solid but a few years off, and with the re-entry of Andersen to the draft, Murphy signing in the KHL, and Boucher being injured to start the season leaves the organizational depth chart of available goalies at Ward, Peters, Muse... yeah

8) Draft Picks
2013: all Canes picks, no extras
2014: all Canes picks, no extras

9) Cap Situation
8 million under current Cap Floor. Might be addressed with rumored interest in signing Alexander Semin and/or changes in the upcoming CBA. New co-owner group and a local TV contract that triples the prior one in annual income opens up room for a lot more spending then was available to the team in prior seasons.

10) Season Projection
Likely contender for Southeast Title. 3-6 range in the East points wise, but could find themselves in the 7-10 pack with some bad luck or other signings in the East.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:26 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

What I Want
1) Envisioned Roster for your team, including probable line combinations. If you could include the scratches and top call-ups that would be wonderful

2) A minor description of the major players on your team, basically explaining what makes them so valuable.

3) Your team's wants

4) Your team's surplus
4b) A list of potential pieces that you could see being trade bait, either to buy or to sell.

5) A list of your organization's top prospects, preferably with a small description for each one. Especially helpful would include ETA.

6) Strengths of your organization

7) Organizational Weaknesses

8) The draft picks your team has for the next two drafts. ('13 and '14)

9) A small report on the spending situation of your team, whether it's due to the cap or an internal cap.

10) And finally, a somewhat unbiased prediction of how your team's season will go.

The Format
Some of the difficulties I ran into last year was having to combine multiple reports into one and all were in different formats. I'm hoping that this will give you something to start off of, but if you prefer not to use it, that is okay.

1) Starting Line-up
M. Moulson - J. Tavares - K. Okposo
J. Bailey - B. Boyes - M. Grabner
N. Niederreiter - F. Nielsen - C. Cizikas
M. Martin - M. Reasoner - J. Joensuu
*E. Boulton

M. Streit - T. Hamonic
A. MacDonald - L. Visnovksy
M. Donovan/C. de Haan - M. Carkner

E. Nabokov
K. Poulin
*R. DiPietro

Top Call-ups
David Ullstrom, C
A. Ness, D

2) Description
John Tavares: The face of the franchise. What makes him so valuable is his top tier skillset, work ethic, motivation, and professionalism. A true heart and soul team player. I don't think I, or any other Isles fan would trade him for any other player. And best yet, he is still improving.

M. Streit: The veteran leader of the blueline. Last season came back from an extremely long injury, and struggled to find his game in the first half of the season, however in the 2nd half of the season, he seemed to be beginning to find his stride again. If we see the 2nd half Streit for all season, the year could get interesting.

E. Nabokov: The Isles already-slim playoff hopes rest on the shoulders of veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov. He surprised many by signing a one-year extension with the team, and if he plays like he did on most nights last year, he most likely will not be dealt at the deadline.

3) Wants
a) #3 Defenseman (preferably under 28)
b) #2 Center (stopgap for Strome/Nelson)
c) Top line winger (Star calibar/potential

4) Surplus
a) Forward Prospects
b) Goalie Prospects
c) Top 9 Forwards

Trade Bait
a) J. Bailey
b) R. Strome
c) M. Streit

5) Prospects
1. Ryan Strome, C/W, 1-2 Seasons
8.0C - Projects as a poor-mans Martin St. Louis. He will most likely be a #2C, scoring anywhere from 50-70 points a year. Can also play wing, but would only really work with Tavares.

2. Griffin Reinhart, D, 2 Seasons
8.0B - Scouts have said he plays a similar style to Ryan Suter, and if he reaches most of his potential, he and Travis Hamonic could be anchoring the top pairing on Long Island for a long time. A good two-way player.

3. Brock Nelson, C, 1-2 Seasons
7.0C - Scouts called him one of the best players in college hockey the past season. Has great hockey sense, just needs to bulk up a bit more. Could eventually usurp Strome as the Isles best center prospect. Will be playing in the AHL this year.

6) Strengths
a) Prospect Depth at all positions
b) Top 6 Wingers
c) Power-Play

7) Weaknesses
a) Few Power Forwards
b) Defense depth
c) Coaching

8) Draft Picks
2013: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th (MTL), 6th, 7th
2014: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

9) Cap Situation Due to the Isles having a penny-pinching owner, the Isles use unattainable bonuses and cap trickery to just barely scrape the cap floor.

10) Season Projection Anywhere from 7th-14th in the East. Secondary scoring and defending stars physically is a must.

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post

Silfverberg played LW all year last year, as far as I know. Didn't he dominate on a line with Calle Jarnkrok at centre in Brynas? As for Regin, while he is naturally a centre, I don't see any of Turris, Smith or O'Brien being moved, so he'll play at LW as well.

Phillips and Gonchar played together quite a bit last year, so I think it's reasonable to assume that they'll play together again this year. Of the three LDs, Cowen has the best ability to move the puck, so he'll probably be paired with Karlsson. Methot and Lundin round it out.

As for Gonchar's replacement, there's a pretty decent crop of UFA defensemen in 2013 that can fill that hole if Wiercoch or Ceci aren't ready. Otherwise, we'll make a trade once Gonchar's contract is up.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:41 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

6) Strengths
a) Defensive depth
b) Many prospects who are or are close to NHL-ready
c) Goaltending

7) Weaknesses
a) Forward depth
b) Lack of quality wing prospects (huge drop off after Armia and Foligno)
c) Weakness at center on the NHL roster (will be relying heavily on 2 very young centers)
Unless you are referring only to center, which I'm not sure you are since you listed it separately, I don't agree. Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Foligno, Ott, Leino, Gerbe, Tropp, and perhaps even Adam are options ranging from strong to adequate for the top-9 wing positions.

I would replace that bullet with "elite-level forward talent," as we clearly have less of it than many other teams. The only elite talent today is Vanek, and even he is on the low end of elite. This fact manifests itself every year as Lindy rolls several balanced lines instead of putting together any sort of scoring alpha line - we just don't have any other elite talent to combine at the moment.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Unless you are referring only to center, which I'm not sure you are since you listed it separately, I don't agree. Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Foligno, Ott, Leino, Gerbe, Tropp, and perhaps even Adam are options ranging from strong to adequate for the top-9 wing positions.

I would replace that bullet with "elite-level forward talent," as we clearly have less of it than many other teams. The only elite talent today is Vanek, and even he is on the low end of elite. This fact manifests itself every year as Lindy rolls several balanced lines instead of putting together any sort of scoring alpha line - we just don't have any other elite talent to combine at the moment.
I meant depth as in having quality replacement players in the event of injury, which I don't think we do at this point. I think our NHL wing depth is pretty good, but beyond Tropp, there isn't really anything at forward you can point to in the minors as being a decent call-up option. Szczechura was ok, but he's gone. Porter might be all right, but that's not a given. Adam could bounce back, but that's also uncertain. And there's no way of knowing how well Girgensons will transition to the pro game, though he might be an option if he does well in the AHL.

Edit: Especially if you compare that to what he have to work with on D. McNabb is NHL ready or very close. Pysyk seems very solid and could see some time as a call-up. Brennan is a viable call-up. If Weber bounces back, he's a solid 6/7.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 07-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

1) Starting Line-up
There are 2 ways this could go for Buffalo
a. If Grigorenko makes the team
b. If he doesn't

a. Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
xScott, Ellis

b. Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp OR Adam-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Ott-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
x Scott, Ellis

Leopold-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Sekera
x Weber

Miller
Enroth

Top Call-ups
Brayden McNabb, D
Corey Tropp, RW
TJ Brennan, D
Luke Adam, LW/C
Mark Pysyk, D
You forgot to include Girgensons, who has a shot (albeit unlikely, but hey, he'll be given the chance to compete) for the 3C spot as well, and could also be a top callup depending on how quickly he adjusts to the pro game. Because he was not drafted while playing for a CHL team, he is AHL eligible.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
HedMonster 77

I doubt Buffalo will let Grigorenko play lower than top 6, because of his motivational problems. He has the potential to dominate in the NHL for years, but if he plays this year you have to give him a little bit of freedom to learn to things with no pressure - maybe Grigorenko on one of the 2nd line wings(he can play wing RW i think), Ott to play 3rd line C and you move a 2nd liner to the 1st line - that could work probably
Overall i think Buffalo will let him develop for 1 more year then call him up

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50

1) Starting Line-up
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Machacek

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

Scratches: Thorburn, Clitsome, Cormier

Top Call-ups:
Zach Redmond D
Carl Klingberg LW
Derek Meech D

2) Player description
Dustin Byfuglien - A rover style offensive defenseman. One of the best offensive producers from the back end in the entire league. Has a bomb of a point shot and is an extremely effective PP weapon. Worked on cleaning up his defensive responsibilities later on in the season, but still has some work to do. Conditioning was a supposed issue last season, but he's reportedly been staying in Winnipeg with trainers this offseason to correct this.

Evander Kane - One of the top powerforward prospects in the league. Scored 30 goals at 20 years old with less than stellar linemates. World class speed, athleticism, and shot in a player who also enjoys the physical side of the game.

Zach Bogosian - Had a rocky start to his career in Atlanta, but now under the tutelage of Charlie Huddy in Winnipeg he is blossoming into the player everyone thought he would be. Outstanding skating ability and athleticism. Is slowly refining both his offensive and defensive play to become a premier two-way defenseman in the NHL.

Blake Wheeler - Big man with outstanding wheels (pun intended) and offensive abilities. However, despite his size he is not at all a bruiser. Had a very rough start to the season, but had an incredible end. Was a little bit snake-bit goal-wise, but he still managed to produce a ton of assists.

3) Wants
a) High tier prospects/picks
b) Top 4 Left-Handed defensive defenseman
c) Top 6 RW or C

4) Surplus
a) Bottom 6 prospects
b) Offensive defensemen
c) Bottom 6 players

Last edited by Sweech: 07-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:21 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I meant depth as in having quality replacement players in the event of injury, which I don't think we do at this point. I think our NHL wing depth is pretty good, but beyond Tropp, there isn't really anything at forward you can point to in the minors as being a decent call-up option. Szczechura was ok, but he's gone. Porter might be all right, but that's not a given. Adam could bounce back, but that's also uncertain. And there's no way of knowing how well Girgensons will transition to the pro game, though he might be an option if he does well in the AHL.

Edit: Especially if you compare that to what he have to work with on D. McNabb is NHL ready or very close. Pysyk seems very solid and could see some time as a call-up. Brennan is a viable call-up. If Weber bounces back, he's a solid 6/7.
I see. My thinking is that we have 8-9 players capable playing top-9 wing (Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Foligno, Leino, Ott, Tropp, Gerbe, maybe Adam), so the ability to close ranks up there is good. And we have about 6 players whom it would make sense to put on the 4th line (Cody, Gerbe, Kaleta, Tropp, Scott, Ellis) so we seem safe there too. I suppose it could be argued that beyond all of those forwards we lack depth, but I've already named 13 unique forwards. Add in Ennis and Hodgson and we're at 15. How deep is deep?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Frank Gallagher
"Alcohol is a gift"

I move that this thread be stickied...

Frank Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I see. My thinking is that we have 8-9 players capable playing top-9 wing (Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Foligno, Leino, Ott, Tropp, Gerbe, maybe Adam), so the ability to close ranks up there is good. And we have about 6 players whom it would make sense to put on the 4th line (Cody, Gerbe, Kaleta, Tropp, Scott, Ellis) so we seem safe there too. I suppose it could be argued that beyond all of those forwards we lack depth, but I've already named 13 unique forwards. Add in Ennis and Hodgson and we're at 15. How deep is deep?
See, my thinking is that Buffalo was exposed last year when he had a rash of injuries and were forcing 6 or 8 AHL call-ups to dress in each game, and I don't think we improved that group of players this summer, other than Tropp's development being positive. And I'm just not sure that's enough. Odds are low that we'll get hit with injuries like that again, but if we do, I'm not expecting to win a lot of games.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Carlyle wanting to try JvR at centre means he's going to be at centre, likely for the opening day roster. I think it's a stupid idea, but I'm not going to ignore it, because I want to be "as accurate as possible." Predicting scratches is a complete *hitshow; it's kind of retarded to call me on Tim Connolly. I think the guys listed are more capable than he is. Whatever. The defense pairings are all pairings we've seen either in full or part time capacity. They're also difficult to predict because Carlyle hasn't finalized them yet. Everything I listed has basis.
Personally I don't think JVR will play any center during the regular season. They will try him at practice and during the preseason, I think it will fail miserably and they move on to someone else (probably falling back on Bozak again) for opening day.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
medhatcanuck

1) Starting Line-up
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - _______
Higgins - Maholtra - Higgins
Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian

However, there is hopefully going to be major changes in the 2nd and 4th lines.

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Top Call-ups
Eddie Lack, G
Kevin Connaughton, D
Nicholas Jensen, F
Jordan Schroeder, C
Bill Sweatt, F
Yann Sauve, D

2) Description
Henrik Sedin: Passing Extraordinaire. Henrik is mysterious if anything. He has scored a 30 goal season where he looked like an unstoppable train when his brother Daniel was gone to injury. Ever since that hot streak, it looks as if Henrik is scared of taking control of games or scoring goals. Although more physical then the public perception of his play, he doesn't make big hits or scare anyone with his physicality. His major strength is his insane possession game with his brother. Armed with legitimate secondary scoring, the Sedins would be unstoppable.

Alex Burrows. The real behind the scenes cog for the canucks. You could argue at times he is the most important player on our team. His greatest asset is adding chemistry to his lines. Whether that is 5-on-5 with the Sedins or PKing with Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows seems to make himself invaluable. He is a workhorse who will do whatever it takes to win. He has recently cleaned up his game from his prior "dirty" and "unsportsmanlike" game and is quite the package now. What would make him even better would be consistent goalscoring and finally hitting a 40-50 goal season.

Alex Edler. Edler has shown flashes of greatness with the right defensive partner. He has made game changing hits, scored timely goals, and made great passes and rushes. In the last playoff, we saw his lapse, he plays well only if the team is playing well and will not be the guy to correct the course of a sinking ship. However, given his weakness, he is possible the best all around D.

3) Wants
a) RW Powerforward- 2nd Line
b) C- 2nd/3rd Line
c) Any Powerforward at any forward position

4) Surplus
a) None

Trade Bait
a) Roberto Luongo
b) Keith Ballard
c) Mason Raymond
d) Prospects and Picks

5) Prospects
1. Nicholas Jensen, FWD, This season-1 year
Our top offensive prospect. This kid has size, scoring, and speed. He will not be returning to junior and will be playing pro either in Vancouver, Chicago, or Europe. The most promising offensive Canucks offensive prospect in a while.

2. Kevin Connauton, DEF, This season-1 year
6'1 defenceman. He looks like GSP with more muscle and has a cannon of a slapshot. At one point in time he was leading the AHL defencemen in scoring. He played junior with the Vancouver Giants and has spent the last 2 years in the AHL. He is an offensive defencemen who has played with Canucks' Chris Tanev and would be a perfect pair for Tanev.

6) Strengths
a) The team does not need major tinkering, the core is here, and there is rising talent ready to step in. The defence, goaltending, 1st and shutdown lines are both good to go.

7) Weaknesses
a) Management recognizes the lack of size and secondary scoring within or 2nd and 3rd lines. Kesler, Kassian, Booth are the only sure-things for those two lines. Leaving Raymond, Lapierre, Jensen, Schroeder, and trades to fill in the rest.

8) Draft Picks
2013:
2014:

9) Cap Situation
With a 22 man roster, Vancouver has 3 million in cap space. Once Luongo has been moved and Eddie Lack signed, the team will have closer to 7.3 million, and furthermore, if Ballard was replaced by Connauton, canucks would have 10.3 million to upgrade their offense.

10) Season Projection
1st-3rd in Western Conference

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote