HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban refused qualifying offer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2012, 01:19 AM
  #126
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bless you, dear boy. I know you mean well.
I feel blessed. When I drink pints around U of T, with chess players of
almost your generation, but slightly younger, we debate your identity. But
you could solve that by letting me buy you a pint.
Otherwise, you can just sneer at me about hockey.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  #127
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I feel blessed. When I drink pints around U of T, with chess players of
almost your generation, but slightly younger, we debate your identity. But
you could solve that by letting me buy you a pint.
Otherwise, you can just sneer at me about hockey.
I would enjoy meeting you and downing a pint. You seem like an interesting character with a droll sense of humor that I appreciate. Unfortunately, visiting Toronto isn't in my plans, so we'd have to drink our brews at our own locations. I now live in the New York vicinity and don't even get to Montréal very often.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
  #128
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Is anyone else kinda getting worried PK isn't signed yet. I feel like we gotta sign him soon. Especially if the Flyers are successful with their offer sheet. It would be entirely possible that GMs would be emboldened by a successful offer sheeting of arguably the best D man in the league, and PK is one of the next best D-Man left as an RFA, not to mention younger than Weber.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:26 PM
  #129
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Is anyone else kinda getting worried PK isn't signed yet. I feel like we gotta sign him soon. Especially if the Flyers are successful with their offer sheet. It would be entirely possible that GMs would be emboldened by a successful offer sheeting of arguably the best D man in the league, and PK is one of the next best D-Man left as an RFA, not to mention younger than Weber.
Will be signed next week, you can count on it.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
  #130
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
We're in a rebuilding phase and the only important thing we are doing now is getting a core of good young players to build a contending team around.

If PK doesn't want to be part of our young core going forward we should find someone who does. This isn't the time for prima donna's, we're on our way to bigger and better things.
Like PK Subban...

The 2nd paragraph is pure conjecture and BS.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
  #131
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Like PK Subban...

The 2nd paragraph is pure conjecture and BS.
The opposite is also pure conjecture and BS.

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:35 PM
  #132
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Filing for arbitration has already shielded Subban getting an offer sheet so we don't have to worry about the Bruins offer sheeting us.

CN_paladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:35 PM
  #133
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Last year people were worried about Carey Price not signing.

If I recall correctly, a lot of people were very worried.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
  #134
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Filing for arbitration has already shielded Subban getting an offer sheet so we don't have to worry about the Bruins offer sheeting us.
He hasn't filed for arbitration. So he could get an offer sheet actually.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:03 PM
  #135
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He hasn't filed for arbitration. So he could get an offer sheet actually.
I believe that is correct. The Habs filed for arbitration with Price to prevent an offer sheet.

Subban was given a qualifying offer.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  #136
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The opposite is also pure conjecture and BS.

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.
The epitome of what I believe in?

What is it that you think we believe in?

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
  #137
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,257
vCash: 500
Subban gets an offer sheet, the Habs match and are forced to send to send Gomez to the 'Dogs to cover PK's salary... ahh dreams!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
  #138
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.
Actually, Weber wanted to sign with Nashville. He said he would sign a 3-year deal, and then Poile said no and took him to arbitration and a 1-year deal.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  #139
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 390
From 98,5sports.ca Article from July 20th http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...al-159156.html
Quote:
Cependant, Meehan assure qu'il n'avait pas eu de discussions avec d'autres équipes en ce qui concerne son protégé, et qu'aucune offre hostile n'avait été déposée sur son bureau.
Rough translation: Meehan assures that he didn't have any discussion with other team concerning P.K.'s future and no hostile offer has been placed.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
  #140
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Actually, Weber wanted to sign with Nashville. He said he would sign a 3-year deal, and then Poile said no and took him to arbitration and a 1-year deal.
Imo, he should of signed Weber long-term or Poile should have traded him and same thing with Suter. To me it doesn't matter whether you're a big market or small market club, core players that aren't interested in staying long-term aren't core players.

It's different for non-core players and that's the way it goes. The best organizations have all seemed to grasp this.

I felt the same way about Price, Plekanec and when it's Pacioretty's time, the same thing.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
  #141
Habsoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort mac
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 50
I love PK but if Toronto sent him an offer and we could get 3-4 1st rd draft picks from them, id have to think long and hard if i would match it!

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
  #142
Habsoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort mac
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 50
Agreed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Imo, he should of signed Weber long-term or Poile should have traded him and same thing with Suter. To me it doesn't matter whether you're a big market or small market club, core players that aren't interested in staying long-term aren't core players.

It's different for non-core players and that's the way it goes. The best organizations have all seemed to grasp this.

I felt the same way about Price, Plekanec and when it's Pacioretty's time, the same thing.

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:46 AM
  #143
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
I love PK but if Toronto sent him an offer and we could get 3-4 1st rd draft picks from them, id have to think long and hard if i would match it!
There appears to be some dispute with the compensation i keep reading people say that Webers offer sheet will only yeild 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. If that is true then I don't think you can ever get 3 or 4 firsts from an offer sheet. All that being said, even 2 leaf firsts would be interesting as they would likely both be lottery picks.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:50 AM
  #144
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The opposite is also pure conjecture and BS.

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.
Give your head a shake!!!!

To start with, PK received an offer from the Habs around the third week in June only so so they could keep his free agency status at the restricted level, as they did with Price & several others. These offers must be of a minimum of 10% of an increase annually, based on the previous contract.

The Habs & most astute hockey fans understand this to a process ONLY to retain the RFAs the team wishes to keep, players that are not extended the offer by the set date in June, automatically become UFAs as was the case with Nokelaien & are free to sign where ever they can or like. In this case the Habs were able to resign him for less than his previous contracts yearly salary, but every other team in the could also make a bid for his services without the Habs have the right to match.

As in the case of Ryan White, well I feel, he may have thought he was on the bubble for a two-way contract or completely cast aside if he decided he wanted more than the qualifying offer the Habs extended to him, thus he signed the one year deal.


Get a grip people, Geez!!!

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:01 AM
  #145
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
There appears to be some dispute with the compensation i keep reading people say that Webers offer sheet will only yeild 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. If that is true then I don't think you can ever get 3 or 4 firsts from an offer sheet. All that being said, even 2 leaf firsts would be interesting as they would likely both be lottery picks.
The CBA is quite clear that the compensation is based on the overall value of the contract divided by number of years or five, whichever is lower. Therefore if Nashville don't match they get four first round picks.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
  #146
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Is anyone else kinda getting worried PK isn't signed yet. I feel like we gotta sign him soon. Especially if the Flyers are successful with their offer sheet. It would be entirely possible that GMs would be emboldened by a successful offer sheeting of arguably the best D man in the league, and PK is one of the next best D-Man left as an RFA, not to mention younger than Weber.
I don't think the Habs are too vulnerable to offer sheets right now. We have plenty of cap space and an option (Gomez in the AHL) to make more if needed. We have tons of cash, so the kind of front loading that's putting Nashville in a tough spot isn't a threat to us.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
  #147
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The opposite is also pure conjecture and BS.

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.
Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed.

Where did PK suggest he doesn't want to be part of this organization?
Why are you overreacting for no reason? PK negotiating a contract that is best fit for him doesn't mean he wants to be part of this org, PK and Price are very good friends, he's here to stay, these kind of posts are so so freaking annoying, I mean seriously, I don't know how anyone could believe this crap

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:50 PM
  #148
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed.

Where did PK suggest he doesn't want to be part of this organization?
Why are you overreacting for no reason? PK negotiating a contract that is best fit for him doesn't mean he wants to be part of this org, PK and Price are very good friends, he's here to stay, these kind of posts are so so freaking annoying, I mean seriously, I don't know how anyone could believe this crap
I said we should sign PK long-term and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him.

I never said PK didn't want to be a part of this organization - that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap. I also never said that Subban didn't like it here or that he didn't have friends here. that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap.


Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed - care to show me what I said that was misinformed.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:35 PM
  #149
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,372
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I said we should sign PK long-term and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him.

I never said PK didn't want to be a part of this organization - that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap. I also never said that Subban didn't like it here or that he didn't have friends here. that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap.


Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed - care to show me what I said that was misinformed.
I think the obvious opposition to what you were saying is that it's quite clear that PK wants long-term which is not what MB necessarily wants.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
  #150
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think the obvious opposition to what you were saying is that it's quite clear that PK wants long-term which is not what MB necessarily wants.
We should fire MB then.

If we are looking at being a cup contender (or a decent playoff team) in the 3 - 7 year range signing Subban now to a long-term contract only makes sense. Overpaying Subban now for his RFA years and then in a couple of years getting a lower cap hit when we are trying to be a top team in the East would be a smarter choice than signing Subban to a lower cap hit short term contract now and paying for a higher UFA cap hit in a couple of years.

-------

Or putting PK and trade in the same sentence will get them riled up, also. The context and details don't really matter, they read the two words and kaboom!

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.