HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban refused qualifying offer

Old
07-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bless you, dear boy. I know you mean well.
I feel blessed. When I drink pints around U of T, with chess players of
almost your generation, but slightly younger, we debate your identity. But
you could solve that by letting me buy you a pint.
Otherwise, you can just sneer at me about hockey.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I feel blessed. When I drink pints around U of T, with chess players of
almost your generation, but slightly younger, we debate your identity. But
you could solve that by letting me buy you a pint.
Otherwise, you can just sneer at me about hockey.
I would enjoy meeting you and downing a pint. You seem like an interesting character with a droll sense of humor that I appreciate. Unfortunately, visiting Toronto isn't in my plans, so we'd have to drink our brews at our own locations. I now live in the New York vicinity and don't even get to Montréal very often.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
HockeyF3ind

Is anyone else kinda getting worried PK isn't signed yet. I feel like we gotta sign him soon. Especially if the Flyers are successful with their offer sheet. It would be entirely possible that GMs would be emboldened by a successful offer sheeting of arguably the best D man in the league, and PK is one of the next best D-Man left as an RFA, not to mention younger than Weber.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:26 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Is anyone else kinda getting worried PK isn't signed yet. I feel like we gotta sign him soon. Especially if the Flyers are successful with their offer sheet. It would be entirely possible that GMs would be emboldened by a successful offer sheeting of arguably the best D man in the league, and PK is one of the next best D-Man left as an RFA, not to mention younger than Weber.
Will be signed next week, you can count on it.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
We're in a rebuilding phase and the only important thing we are doing now is getting a core of good young players to build a contending team around.

If PK doesn't want to be part of our young core going forward we should find someone who does. This isn't the time for prima donna's, we're on our way to bigger and better things.
Like PK Subban...

The 2nd paragraph is pure conjecture and BS.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Like PK Subban...

The 2nd paragraph is pure conjecture and BS.
The opposite is also pure conjecture and BS.

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:35 PM
CN_paladin

Filing for arbitration has already shielded Subban getting an offer sheet so we don't have to worry about the Bruins offer sheeting us.

CN_paladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:35 PM
DAChampion

Last year people were worried about Carey Price not signing.

If I recall correctly, a lot of people were very worried.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Filing for arbitration has already shielded Subban getting an offer sheet so we don't have to worry about the Bruins offer sheeting us.
He hasn't filed for arbitration. So he could get an offer sheet actually.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:03 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He hasn't filed for arbitration. So he could get an offer sheet actually.
I believe that is correct. The Habs filed for arbitration with Price to prevent an offer sheet.

Subban was given a qualifying offer.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:

We should be like the Ferrari F1 team, a team who only asks drivers once if they want to drive for Ferrari. Subban has been in the organization for 5 years and that is enough time to make up his mind and decide if this is the place for him or not.

Look at Poile, that is the epitome of what you believe in, not only did he grovel, he then got bent over and all for next to nothing. Hey Poile, maybe Weber's not that into you. Suter, either. lol.
The epitome of what I believe in?

What is it that you think we believe in?

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Habs13

Subban gets an offer sheet, the Habs match and are forced to send to send Gomez to the 'Dogs to cover PK's salary... ahh dreams!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Actually, Weber wanted to sign with Nashville. He said he would sign a 3-year deal, and then Poile said no and took him to arbitration and a 1-year deal.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
From 98,5sports.ca Article from July 20th http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...al-159156.html
Quote:
Cependant, Meehan assure qu'il n'avait pas eu de discussions avec d'autres équipes en ce qui concerne son protégé, et qu'aucune offre hostile n'avait été déposée sur son bureau.
Rough translation: Meehan assures that he didn't have any discussion with other team concerning P.K.'s future and no hostile offer has been placed.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Actually, Weber wanted to sign with Nashville. He said he would sign a 3-year deal, and then Poile said no and took him to arbitration and a 1-year deal.
Imo, he should of signed Weber long-term or Poile should have traded him and same thing with Suter. To me it doesn't matter whether you're a big market or small market club, core players that aren't interested in staying long-term aren't core players.

It's different for non-core players and that's the way it goes. The best organizations have all seemed to grasp this.

I felt the same way about Price, Plekanec and when it's Pacioretty's time, the same thing.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Habsoil

I love PK but if Toronto sent him an offer and we could get 3-4 1st rd draft picks from them, id have to think long and hard if i would match it!

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Habsoil

Agreed!

Quote:
Imo, he should of signed Weber long-term or Poile should have traded him and same thing with Suter. To me it doesn't matter whether you're a big market or small market club, core players that aren't interested in staying long-term aren't core players.

It's different for non-core players and that's the way it goes. The best organizations have all seemed to grasp this.

I felt the same way about Price, Plekanec and when it's Pacioretty's time, the same thing.

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:46 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
I love PK but if Toronto sent him an offer and we could get 3-4 1st rd draft picks from them, id have to think long and hard if i would match it!
There appears to be some dispute with the compensation i keep reading people say that Webers offer sheet will only yeild 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. If that is true then I don't think you can ever get 3 or 4 firsts from an offer sheet. All that being said, even 2 leaf firsts would be interesting as they would likely both be lottery picks.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Uwey

Quote:

Give your head a shake!!!!

To start with, PK received an offer from the Habs around the third week in June only so so they could keep his free agency status at the restricted level, as they did with Price & several others. These offers must be of a minimum of 10% of an increase annually, based on the previous contract.

The Habs & most astute hockey fans understand this to a process ONLY to retain the RFAs the team wishes to keep, players that are not extended the offer by the set date in June, automatically become UFAs as was the case with Nokelaien & are free to sign where ever they can or like. In this case the Habs were able to resign him for less than his previous contracts yearly salary, but every other team in the could also make a bid for his services without the Habs have the right to match.

As in the case of Ryan White, well I feel, he may have thought he was on the bubble for a two-way contract or completely cast aside if he decided he wanted more than the qualifying offer the Habs extended to him, thus he signed the one year deal.

Get a grip people, Geez!!!

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Corncob

Quote:
There appears to be some dispute with the compensation i keep reading people say that Webers offer sheet will only yeild 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. If that is true then I don't think you can ever get 3 or 4 firsts from an offer sheet. All that being said, even 2 leaf firsts would be interesting as they would likely both be lottery picks.
The CBA is quite clear that the compensation is based on the overall value of the contract divided by number of years or five, whichever is lower. Therefore if Nashville don't match they get four first round picks.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I don't think the Habs are too vulnerable to offer sheets right now. We have plenty of cap space and an option (Gomez in the AHL) to make more if needed. We have tons of cash, so the kind of front loading that's putting Nashville in a tough spot isn't a threat to us.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:

Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed.

Where did PK suggest he doesn't want to be part of this organization?
Why are you overreacting for no reason? PK negotiating a contract that is best fit for him doesn't mean he wants to be part of this org, PK and Price are very good friends, he's here to stay, these kind of posts are so so freaking annoying, I mean seriously, I don't know how anyone could believe this crap

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed.

Where did PK suggest he doesn't want to be part of this organization?
Why are you overreacting for no reason? PK negotiating a contract that is best fit for him doesn't mean he wants to be part of this org, PK and Price are very good friends, he's here to stay, these kind of posts are so so freaking annoying, I mean seriously, I don't know how anyone could believe this crap
I said we should sign PK long-term and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him.

I never said PK didn't want to be a part of this organization - that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap. I also never said that Subban didn't like it here or that he didn't have friends here. that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap.

Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed - care to show me what I said that was misinformed.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
I said we should sign PK long-term and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him.

I never said PK didn't want to be a part of this organization - that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap. I also never said that Subban didn't like it here or that he didn't have friends here. that would be you putting words in my mouth and then saying what I'm going on about is crap.

Posts like these are so annoying and misinformed - care to show me what I said that was misinformed.
I think the obvious opposition to what you were saying is that it's quite clear that PK wants long-term which is not what MB necessarily wants.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think the obvious opposition to what you were saying is that it's quite clear that PK wants long-term which is not what MB necessarily wants.
We should fire MB then.

If we are looking at being a cup contender (or a decent playoff team) in the 3 - 7 year range signing Subban now to a long-term contract only makes sense. Overpaying Subban now for his RFA years and then in a couple of years getting a lower cap hit when we are trying to be a top team in the East would be a smarter choice than signing Subban to a lower cap hit short term contract now and paying for a higher UFA cap hit in a couple of years.

-------

Or putting PK and trade in the same sentence will get them riled up, also. The context and details don't really matter, they read the two words and kaboom!