HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 12:52 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 500
Whether you like Holmgren or not, this is ****ing hilarious:

Old
07-22-2012, 01:00 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Canucks fan here. I posted this one the Canucks board and another forum and it was received positively. Wanted to get Pens' fans thoughts.

Mason Raymond for Tyler Kennedy

Both struggling players that are coming off mediocre seasons. Both had career years a couple of years ago and have failed to repeat that success for various reasons.

Kennedy is not a "struggling" hockey player, and I can't wait to see so many here eat crow by the end of the season when they see what kind of numbers and the kind of impact TK is putting up.

He is a young, 25 year old player who was coming off a career year and getting better every season, before having a couple of freak injuries which interfered with him getting into much of a grove in the regular season; even though he always had great hustle and had some of the better +/- numbers on our team, in both the regular season & playoffs; and was one of our better & most productive players in the post season.

If he can stay healthy this year, he will put up 20+ goals and create positive momentum & energe for our team on the ice. All that for little over the league average salary. That's pretty darn good for a 3rd line RW who should help ease Brandon Sutter comfortably into the line-up as 3rd line centre, while also being one of our only right handed shooting forwards, who's a nice option for our 2nd unit PP..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
I'm sorry, I don't get the Pronger lovefest.

Then you didn't watch him in the playoffs for Edmonton in 2006. This guy single handedly made live miserable for all of the opposing forwards in a way so dominant, and one which we frankly haven't seen since, well, then. He is/was a very special player, and will be a first ballot Hall of Famer as a result.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:03 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I want to preface this by saying I am not trying to be a jerk, but... What you're saying is that Pitt has to have every player having their best possible season and no injuries? I don't think any team can ask that of their players.
I would never call a Flyers fan a "jerk" in the same way I wouldn't call that monkey who ripped that woman's face off a "jerk". It's just in your nature. (I keed! I keed!)

Like I said, asking for a lot. I mean, even if things get effed up in terms of injuries (as they have pretty much every year recently) we'll still be a Cup contender. Meh, there's always a matter of "the game's not played on paper" but this is looking like one of our weaker rosters in recent years.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Kennedy is not a "struggling" hockey player, and I can't wait to see so many here eat crow by the end of the season when they see what kind of numbers and the kind of impact TK is putting up.

He is a young, 25 year old player who was coming off a career year and getting better every season, before having a couple of freak injuries which interfered with him getting into much of a grove in the regular season; even though he always had great hustle and had some of the better +/- numbers on our team, in both the regular season & playoffs; and was one of our better & most productive players in the post season.

If he can stay healthy this year, he will put up 20+ goals and create positive momentum & energe for our team on the ice. All that for little over the league average salary. That's pretty darn good for a 3rd line RW who should help ease Brandon Sutter comfortably into the line-up as 3rd line centre, while also being one of our only right handed shooting forwards, who's a nice option for our 2nd unit PP..
No, he found his grove alright. It's like the woods. Trouble is, he got lost in them.

I think a chipmunk would have more hockey IQ than TK.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Then you didn't watch him in the playoffs for Edmonton in 2006. This guy single handedly made live miserable for all of the opposing forwards in a way so dominant, and one which we frankly haven't seen since, well, then. He is/was a very special player, and will be a first ballot Hall of Famer as a result.
Yeah, Pronger is (was) one of the best defensemen in the playoffs you could ever ask for. He was a beast for Edmonton in the 2006 playoffs. If Roloson doesn't get injured in Game 1 of the SCF, Edmonton takes the Cup, no doubt in my mind.

Pronger for Anaheim in 2007 was their best player. The only reason he wasn't the Conn Smythe winner is because he got a couple suspensions but he was a bigger factor than Scott Neidermayer was.

And then he went to the Finals again in 2010. What else do you have to say?

I will say this though, Chris Pronger is a grade A *******. I'm not talking about the whole Edmonton situation either. I live in Thunder Bay and know plenty of people from Dryden who grew up with Chris and I've never heard one of them not say he was the biggest ******* they've ever known. There are people in Dryden who actively hate whatever team Pronger plays for. What other hometown boy has that?

Old
07-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
And yeah, I did. Was rooting for Edmonton all the way through. Was furious that they lost. Pisani was a beast. And if Roly hadn't gone down...if Conklin hadn't blown... They were the first #8 seed ever in the SCF if I'm not misremembering things.

Seriously though, don't tell me which games/series I've watched and which I haven't. You're not the only one who watches hockey, you know.

If you had actually read the rest of my post, you would realize that I respected him as a player, but despised him as an individual (reckless hits, antics). That was my point.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I will say this though, Chris Pronger is a grade A *******. I'm not talking about the whole Edmonton situation either. I live in Thunder Bay and know plenty of people from Dryden who grew up with Chris and I've never heard one of them not say he was the biggest ******* they've ever known. There are people in Dryden who actively hate whatever team Pronger plays for. What other hometown boy has that?
Thank you.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:17 AM
jdc147
Black & Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Mason Raymond for Tyler Kennedy

(Oh, i just put this one here for fun.) ps. Nothing to do with my reply.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Good thing the Buccos are jammin'. Otherwise, this would be one dull summer.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:46 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
The reason why Read is so talked up is because he put up 20 goals his first year, he's a top PKer on a team with bad defensive forwards, and he's signed for about 3 more years at 900K.

He's very valuable to us because he's good, young, and very cheap for a while. That's all.
Yeah, but there is a huge difference in saying he fullfills a role on your team and does it well and saying he could be the center piece for Bobby Ryan. Yesterday someone offered Read + picks and that was even under the assumption they got Weber, i.e. no 1sts.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
stefanh

The thing with Read is that he's 26 so wasn't exactly your prototypical rookie...

Old
07-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
The thing with Read is that he's 26 so wasn't exactly your prototypical rookie...
Exactly, it'd be like tangradi scoring 20 goals. (hard it say that with a straight face)

Old
07-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I know a lot of people think they know what the asking price is for Bobby Ryan... But I wonder what the asking price is for Bobby Ryan. The guy's got 3 more years left at $5.1M. Talk about a ****ing bargain.
We'll find out when Holmgren figures out a way to make a trade for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
TK for Read. go
Yah, keep dreaming. I'd personally fly to Pittsburgh and pack Kennedy's bags for him so he didn't miss the plane.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:03 PM
SEALBound

Ryan went out the door with Staal. A Staal for Ryan swap is about the only thing that could have worked.

We have nothing to offer the Ducks now.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Flat Stanley

We don't need to trade for a guy like Ryan. We don't need more expensive star power, we need solid depth. I'm sure Shero can still trade for a solid winger or 2. I don't know who would be available, but I'm sure Shero could work a trade.

Also, I don't see us signing Semin or Doan either, I know we've talked about it, but I don't see Doan coming here because I see the Coyotes staying in Phoenix (Glendale) and I don't see Semin coming here because I don't think Shero and staff like him enough to offer him a deal.

Either Shero makes a trade or the Pens go into camp with a competition between Bennett, Kennedy and Tangradi.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:23 PM
gordie

Quote:
I want to preface this by saying I am not trying to be a jerk, but... What you're saying is that Pitt has to have every player having their best possible season and no injuries? I don't think any team can ask that of their players.
I love when Philadelphia fans get all excited and worked up only to be let down time and time again.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Jacob

I'm fine with going into camp with what we have. It gives opportunities for Jeffrey, Tangradi, Bortuzzo, Strait and/or Despres to give sizeable contributions on bargain contracts, in addition to increasing their individual trade value in the future. More-over, maybe the team can get back to the solid defensive play that Penguins hockey used to be about, out of necessity. And maybe we'll even sneak up on some teams that no longer consider Pittsburgh a threat, or at least think that the roster has taken steps backward since last season.

Save the cap space for mid-season or deadline trades as our needs become clearer.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:45 PM
66-29-33

Oh god, please Nashville Match the damn offersheet!!!! i'll be one sad panda if he's a Flyer for life. If Flyers can also somehow deal their goalie to Nashville and recieve Rinne....

Old
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Eli Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Oh god, please Nashville Match the damn offersheet!!!! i'll be one sad panda if he's a Flyer for life. If Flyers can also somehow deal their goalie to Nashville and recieve Rinne....
I wish Burkle could lend the Preds some cash.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
We don't need to trade for a guy like Ryan. We don't need more expensive star power, we need solid depth. I'm sure Shero can still trade for a solid winger or 2. I don't know who would be available, but I'm sure Shero could work a trade.

Also, I don't see us signing Semin or Doan either, I know we've talked about it, but I don't see Doan coming here because I see the Coyotes staying in Phoenix (Glendale) and I don't see Semin coming here because I don't think Shero and staff like him enough to offer him a deal.

Either Shero makes a trade or the Pens go into camp with a competition between Bennett, Kennedy and Tangradi.
I wish I could be a optimistic as you. It's sad Bennett even has a chance to crack the top 6, it really shows how pathetic our depth is. The guys never even played in the ahl or echl and really didn't even dominate in any way in college. I would be shocked if he made the jump to the NHL this season. At least right from the start of the season, promote him when injuries occur or when disco loses faith in Kennedy and tangradi.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
What date do the Preds have until?

Old
07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I wish I could be a optimistic as you. It's sad Bennett even has a chance to crack the top 6, it really shows how pathetic our depth is. The guys never even played in the ahl or echl and really didn't even dominate in any way in college. I would be shocked if he made the jump to the NHL this season. At least right from the start of the season, promote him when injuries occur or when disco loses faith in Kennedy and tangradi.
So being overly pessimistic in every one of your views makes sense? You don't know what the season will bring or what we will do. Patience and let this thing unravel.

Look at teams like Pittsburgh in 09 and the Kings this year. They sure as he'll weren't favorites in January. Make a couple deals and go. Happens for a lot of teams. It just seems you are trying too hard to say we suck.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
What date do the Preds have until?
Wednesday 11.30pm. I think it's PM, might be AM. Anyway, Wednesday.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Yeah, but there is a huge difference in saying he fullfills a role on your team and does it well and saying he could be the center piece for Bobby Ryan. Yesterday someone offered Read + picks and that was even under the assumption they got Weber, i.e. no 1sts.
Oh, those Flyer fans are insane then. Read is a nice piece, but nothing amazing. Don't buy it.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
LOL, you think the offer sheet got Nashville in the mood to cut Holmgren a deal on Rinne? What?

Closed Thread