HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Demers next deal

Old
07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
murdock1116

vCash: 500
I'm feeling a breakout year for Demers.

If and when he cracks the lineup he'll be playing for a contract. I bet he's busting his ass this summer.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
sharski

our bottom 3 D will be super critical this year... seems like kind of a make-or-break year for Demers and likely Murray's last chance at a big contract year

ironically, it was last year that DW went all crazy trying to build a super-deep D, and I think it's actually gonna be this year that our D shines with the signing of Stuart and the (hopefully) emergence of Braun as a real solid long-term player and the comeback years of Demers & Murray

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Murray already had his big pay day, if he doesn't get less then the contract he is on, then i feel bad for the idiot GM who overpayed for murray.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
our bottom 3 D will be super critical this year... seems like kind of a make-or-break year for Demers and likely Murray's last chance at a big contract year

ironically, it was last year that DW went all crazy trying to build a super-deep D, and I think it's actually gonna be this year that our D shines with the signing of Stuart and the (hopefully) emergence of Braun as a real solid long-term player and the comeback years of Demers & Murray
2 years ago when Demers was playing awesome I was still saying Braun was going to be better, granted he is older but he plays a better overall game, I think Braun and Murray is the pairing that should be tried to start the season.
Now it's time for my bi-annual put Demers on the wing post.
We need a right wing with speed, he has played foward in juniors, and frankly what is there to lose.
This looks sexy on paper
FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($6.000m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.950m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.640m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Matt Pelech ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,706,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,493,333

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Demers on the wing is

He's not a winger. He's not going to be. He's got good puck skills and vision. He just needs to be given some slack and not be yanked every time he slumps. Demers has higher ceilings than Braun and will likely be a more productive d-man than Braun. There's no reason to give up on him on D.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Kitten Mittons

Should've put Setoguchi on D when we had a chance. He likes to hit and all.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Should've put Setoguchi on D when we had a chance. He likes to hit and all.
We could put Clowe on D and have him play opposite of Murray or Stuart and obliterate things, maybe.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

pshh whatever guys

he would cover up for Semin's lack of defence in that scenerio, it's genius
he has the perfect skillset to at least try to convert winger actually, can't convince me other wise, I've played it enough to know how positions translate with skillset.

Old
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
pshh whatever guys

he would cover up for Semin's lack of defence in that scenerio, it's genius
he has the perfect skillset to at least try to convert winger actually, can't convince me other wise, I've played it enough to know how positions translate with skillset.
What skills would that be? lol

Old
07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
What skills would that be? lol
well what are the skills he's lacking to be an effective winger like you say?
I could see him being a better 2 way/gritter Nils Ekman type winger on Jumbo's line if he is paired with a sniper. He has already shown great offensive awarnes, he's a shifty skater and I've seen him crash the nest very effectivley before as well.

Old
07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
well what are the skills he's lacking to be an effective winger like you say?
I could see him being a better 2 way/gritter Nils Ekman type winger on Jumbo's line if he is paired with a sniper. He has already shown great offensive awarnes, he's a shifty skater and I've seen him crash the nest very effectivley before as well.
If you just have the one shooter, that's easy to snuff out. I don't think it's as easy as you're making it sound for him to transfer his experiences and skills to the wing. The awareness and vision that you have from the blue line is different in the offensive zone than from the front lines. It's easier for d-men to sneak into the back door because it's not expected. It is of wingers. He is also not really built to take or give the abuse that comes with crashing the net and board battling.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Demers on the wing is

He's not a winger. He's not going to be. He's got good puck skills and vision. He just needs to be given some slack and not be yanked every time he slumps. Demers has higher ceilings than Braun and will likely be a more productive d-man than Braun. There's no reason to give up on him on D.
He really needs to hope he doesnt faulter and braun stays the same or it will be bye bye demers. This is demers make or break season with the sharks. If he doesnt show some of that potential again he is gone.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
He really needs to hope he doesnt faulter and braun stays the same or it will be bye bye demers. This is demers make or break season with the sharks. If he doesnt show some of that potential again he is gone.
If that is the case, then DW should be canned. Next year should not be make or break. He is 24 years old and restricted for another three years after this season. Plus, there will be room for him one way or the other with Vlasic, Murray, and Boyle all potentially gone within the next two years and one being gone is virtually guaranteed.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:57 AM
freddypuck

I stand by what has been said in the past Demers had a bump in the road IMO he is one of better D-Men, i have tons of faith in him, hopefully Braun doesn't play anywhere near the way he played in the playoffs or the worlds because everybody will be disappointed....

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
If that is the case, then DW should be canned. Next year should not be make or break. He is 24 years old and restricted for another three years after this season. Plus, there will be room for him one way or the other with Vlasic, Murray, and Boyle all potentially gone within the next two years and one being gone is virtually guaranteed.
just a question why did you put vlasic in with the defensemen that will be gone in the next 2 years? or do you think the sharks are going to trade him before his no trade clause kicks in next july 1st?

Old
07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
freddypuck

no way they trade Vlasic

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
just a question why did you put vlasic in with the defensemen that will be gone in the next 2 years? or do you think the sharks are going to trade him before his no trade clause kicks in next july 1st?
I think PF just typoed and forgot Vlasic was just re-signed long term.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
rban*

Doesnt make sense for either side to lock up a contract after a bad season. He is young and his sample size is small, ie: if a Dman played well for four yrs straight and had one bad season, you could write it off as an aberration, but with Demers age you cant be sure of that.

Need to watch him this season and how he does before making any decisions, period. Even if that means he plays very well and you have to pay him more. Better to do that than lock someone up who turns out to be less than what u hope he is.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
rban*

Quote:
If you just have the one shooter, that's easy to snuff out. I don't think it's as easy as you're making it sound for him to transfer his experiences and skills to the wing. The awareness and vision that you have from the blue line is different in the offensive zone than from the front lines. It's easier for d-men to sneak into the back door because it's not expected. It is of wingers. He is also not really built to take or give the abuse that comes with crashing the net and board battling.
Yup, and the number of players who can be effective as a forward and a DMan is so incredibly rare.. like a white rhinoceros.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
lucky0slevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Yup, and the number of players who can be effective as a forward and a DMan is so incredibly rare.. like a white rhinoceros.
brent burns... started in the league as a forward, now plays defense making him effective in both situations I would say

lucky0slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
sharski

in b4 DW reads this thread and fills roster with players that can all either play center or defenseman

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:08 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Welcome to San Jose Mr. Federov...

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky0slevin View Post
brent burns... started in the league as a forward, now plays defense making him effective in both situations I would say
Yes. That makes one. Plus, he converted from forward to defense permanently, I was talking more about going back and forth tween the two roles, but anyhow...

Byfuglien (sic) is one I have coveted for a long time; he flips back and forth and is fairly comeptetn at both. Yeah that makes two.

Sami Kapanen was someone who did just that in one of Flyer PO runs.

In addition, there may be a few who do it, but dont do it well. Just HAVE to do it in an emergency.

Still not a large number by any means.

Point is, it is a fairly rare ability. Maybe not as rare as a unicorn, but not widespread either.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:56 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Yes. That makes one. Plus, he converted from forward to defense permanently, I was talking more about going back and forth tween the two roles, but anyhow...

Byfuglien (sic) is one I have coveted for a long time; he flips back and forth and is fairly comeptetn at both. Yeah that makes two.

Sami Kapanen was someone who did just that in one of Flyer PO runs.

In addition, there may be a few who do it, but dont do it well. Just HAVE to do it in an emergency.

Still not a large number by any means.

Point is, it is a fairly rare ability. Maybe not as rare as a unicorn, but not widespread either.
Scott Young and Fedorov.

Lots of enforcers have been changed from dmen to forwards. Staubitz, Belak, etc.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
do0glas

Demers at forward is a bad idea. He coughs up the puck too often for me. He's not dynamic on the puck, nor is he very fast in comparison. You don't see him getting to the dirty areas, or beating too many d men to the puck on the forecheck.

Just a bad idea

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote