HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Hmm, I'd say it's fairly equal. However, I don't mean how loud the crowd is when the Canucks score, I mean on hits, missed opportunities etc. the crowd from '94 seems way into it. Once again, I could be wrong because all I really remember about the crowd in game 7 vs Boston was it was nervous and on the quiet side (when the game was close).

Old
07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Comparing a WCF to a SCF ?

Why not compare that to the Bieksa goal?

Huh? The goals/videos he compared are both SCF.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Huh? The goals/videos he compared are both SCF.
Saw the Blue jerseys & thought it was the WCF vs the Leafs for some reason

But we should compare the atmosphere between both goals that sent us to the Finals as they were both scored on the same day of the year

Old
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
PG Canuck

We should almost have a nostalgic thread for stuff like this that is pinned so we can relive the old times.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Hmm, I'd say it's fairly equal. However, I don't mean how loud the crowd is when the Canucks score, I mean on hits, missed opportunities etc. the crowd from '94 seems way into it. Once again, I could be wrong because all I really remember about the crowd in game 7 vs Boston was it was nervous and on the quiet side (when the game was close).
I get this idea that it has to do with the change of Vancouver from a blue-collar to a white-collar city and the associated shift in attitude. People are less rowdy nowadays. That, and/or the exorbitant ticket prices in 2011 were keeping out the average joes who would contribute to a better atmosphere.

Am I making sense?

Old
07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Different building, though, and there's been ongoing criticism of HNIC the last few years about the way they tone down the crowd noise on their broadcasts. I don't think you can really draw any conclusions from a couple of video clips.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:49 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
I get this idea that it has to do with the change of Vancouver from a blue-collar to a white-collar city and the associated shift in attitude. People are less rowdy nowadays. That, and/or the exorbitant ticket prices in 2011 were keeping out the average joes who would contribute to a better atmosphere.

Am I making sense?
What were the ticket prices back then, if anyone knows? Probably plays a HUGE factor in what type of fan you have going to playoff games, especially SCF. All of the better/rowdy/diehard Canuck fans weren't able to muster up a boatload of money for Game 7, and instead stood outside for free to watch.

I think you make sense though. I'm guessing there were less bandwagon fans back then as well seeing as now it's "cool" to like the Canucks if you live in the lower mainland or BC.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post

Am I making sense?
I don't think people are less rowdy, look at that riot and the build up in the playoffs was very Olympic like. It seems our crowd is always wondering what's going to go wrong next instead of cheering the team.. Much like the 89 Flames, various RedSox/Cubs playoff games etc. I think if we had a bruiser team the crowd would be more into it too, WCE had some exciting hitters/agitators and even the crowd back then was louder. The arena experience has become way too focused on being family friendly with that horrible DJ. It's like sitting at a 7th grade dance with the parents in the lower bowl on their blackberries.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
I don't think people are less rowdy, look at that riot and the build up in the playoffs was very Olympic like. It seems our crowd is always wondering what's going to go wrong next instead of cheering the team.. Much like the 89 Flames, various RedSox/Cubs playoff games etc. I think if we had a bruiser team the crowd would be more into it too, WCE had some exciting hitters/agitators and even the crowd back then was louder. The arena experience has become way too focused on being family friendly with that horrible DJ. It's like sitting at a 7th grade dance with the parents in the lower bowl on their blackberries.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
aandbreatheme

Why do you guys care so much about what music is playing at the arena? It's the same crap everybody listens to on their iPods and the radio... I honestly don't see what it has to do with getting the crowd "into it." You're watching your favourite team play live, shouldn't that be enough? I've only been to two games, but I wasn't too concerned about what song they had playing.... :shrug: Don't most of the arenas around the league basically have the same music?

What do you guys want them to play, out of curiosity?

Old
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think the heart of the issue lies with the perception of you, the poster.

Crowds seem more intense in previous years like '94 I think because well, Vancouver isn't a great hockey town. Sure, there are more than a fair amount of die-hards, but how many people did you see walking downtown wearing Canucks apparel on say...April 24, 2011 to May 24, 2011? I'd bet a pretty penny that one month later that number has tripled. The bandwagons come out and the die-hards feed off the energy that no one will judge you if you run down the streets professing your love of the team compared to say doing that in December and everyone looking at you like a nutcase.

In short, more fans come out the farther the team goes is all there is to it. The closer the team gets to the Cup the more hopeful fans get and less cynical they are. You don't think 40+ years of losing has jaded some fans into cynics haven't they? Look at Tony Gallagher, who IMO really came out of his old, grumpy, cynical shell last June. No one blames him, though considering what he's seen following the Canucks for so many years.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Why do you guys care so much about what music is playing at the arena? It's the same crap everybody listens to on their iPods and the radio... I honestly don't see what it has to do with getting the crowd "into it." You're watching your favourite team play live, shouldn't that be enough? I've only been to two games, but I wasn't too concerned about what song they had playing.... :shrug: Don't most of the arenas around the league basically have the same music?

IMO, if you need music to get you out of your seat you should be at the Roxy rather than watching a hockey game.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Proto

I know I listen to Cotton Eye Joe on my ipod all the time.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I know I listen to Cotton Eye Joe on my ipod all the time.
ooh and Sandstorm. That one didn't get tiring in 1999.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

I'd prefer it if there were no music at the arena, since the natural crowd noise makes for a better hockey experience in my opinion. I don't like it when they try to drown out the crowd with all sorts of pop music that's entirely unsuited to the sport and/or deafening goal horns. Then again, I've not been to an NHL game in a few years.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
ooh and Sandstorm. That one didn't get tiring in 1999.
This post made me LOL.

We just need more Chelsea Dager to fire up Luongo. Oh wait..

Old
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post

IMO, if you need music to get you out of your seat you should be at the Roxy rather than watching a hockey game.
Did you use the same nail & hammer pic on purpose?

Also can Vancouver have either no music, a house band or an organ?

Old
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Game 7's crowd felt really nervous, and for good reason. Then after Boston scored those two goals the acceptance started to sink in.
Why on earth did the Rangers get 2 days off in between Games 6 and 7, whereas we didn't in the 2011 SCF?

Old
07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Did you use the same nail & hammer pic on purpose?

Also can Vancouver have either no music, a house band or an organ?
Yes, yes I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Why on earth did the Rangers get 2 days off in between Games 6 and 7, whereas we didn't in the 2011 SCF?
We got a 2 day break between game 5 and 6. It was supposed to favour us, however, I don't think much was favouring us at that point.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post

Play some aggressive rock and maybe techno not Enrique Iglesias and U2. I kind of agree about not needing music, but it's not like this Canucks team plays a get out of your seat style aside from Sedin domination, there's an element of softness to the team.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Really miss having Westcoaster here for posts like this.

But to your point, it was clear that the Rangers and particularly Keenan, were coming apart at the seams. A great many people believe the extra day off gave the Rangers the breathing room they needed to get it back together. And the extra day seemed like it was added arbitrarily by the league.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
ddawg1950

Panthers sign Versteeg ahead of arbitration. Four year deal.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638439

Old
07-23-2012, 11:02 AM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Really miss having Westcoaster here for posts like this.But to your point, it was clear that the Rangers and particularly Keenan, were coming apart at the seams. A great many people believe the extra day off gave the Rangers the breathing room they needed to get it back together. And the extra day seemed like it was added arbitrarily by the league.
I agree, he must have been some po'd..hopefully he comes back someday.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Really miss having Westcoaster here for posts like this.

But to your point, it was clear that the Rangers and particularly Keenan, were coming apart at the seams. A great many people believe the extra day off gave the Rangers the breathing room they needed to get it back together. And the extra day seemed like it was added arbitrarily by the league.
I think the entire Ranger fan base was coming unglued..the headline on the NY Times (i think) after Game 6 in Vancouver was "Gulp".

Old
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayfan View Post
I agree, he must have been some po'd..hopefully he comes back someday.
Did he announce he was leaving or has he just not been around?

Closed Thread