HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 05:02 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
The Preds are going to match this offersheet,because i ask the magic eight ball at target today if shea weber was going to stay in nashville and it said AS I SEE IT,YES
There you have it folks, move along. Nothing to see here

Old
07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
In a perverse sort of way, this is the very thing that makes being a Pred fan more of a religion than a idle sports following. Adversity draws people together. The collective struggle creates an identity like no other. We've had more than our share, and have never been stronger. Who knows, maybe whatever this thing is and however it ends, its meant to be. It is who we are. WE ARE PRED FANS.

I think people are getting sick of this being who we are. We've been competitive, our city is cool, no state income tax, GMDP and Trotz have great reputations around the league...yet we still have to deal with our great players leaving, for one reason or another. It's depressing! I just want one high-profile player of ours (besides Rinne) to say "I love Nashville, I want to stay here and I want to win a Cup here" and sign a big extension. I wanted Suter and Weber to do what Crosby did with the Pens. But it just couldn't be that easy for us...there have to be all these stupid shenanigans instead. WHY?! (I'm feeling a little sorry for myself if y'all hadn't noticed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post

Also, I don't think Henry and Cogan are automatically going to say, he this guy will become a partial ticket holder, we HAVE to match now or we might miss out on his extra $1,000 of revenue

Couldn't hurt though! Especially if there are lots of e-mails from other people saying similar things.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
People talk about these guys being professional but when they go to arbitration they get their feelings hurt? Well which is it? If this all about business and money is the issue, a guy having his feelings hurt over what the Preds submitted to an arbitrator is ridiculous. It's business, nothing more nothing less. When the shoe is on the other foot however, the player cries that he got his feelings hurt? If Weber got his feelings hurt than he may not be a leader after all.

And if these guys are professionals, if the Preds match, then he will have to show up and play here for a long time. And guess what, he'll have to be a professional when doing so. That's the joy of offer sheets.

And as far as the money thing goes, if you want to play with the big boys, you better have the capital to back it up. This is a time for no excuses moving forward. Unless Couts and B. Schenn come back in a trade for those picks we get from Philly, we match.
You're fooling yourself if you don't think hard feelings can arise in situations like this. Sure, it's business...but sometimes it gets personal. Athletes are prideful and have egos, and the way these arbitrations are designed can lead to a bruised ego on behalf of the player. When Shea Weber sits there and hears HIS boss say that his level of play is comparible with Dustin Byfuglien, I'm sure his blood begins to boil just a bit.

If you don't think professionals can have their feelings hurt, just look at David Poile's reaction to the business decision that Ryan Suter made...he took it personally.

If the Predators match, I'm sure Weber will be professional about it and show up and play...but it could also turn out to be a situation like Rick Nash where you have a disgruntled Captain on the ice...which wouldn't be a good situation for anyone.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You're fooling yourself if you don't think hard feelings can arise in situations like this. Sure, it's business...but sometimes it gets personal. Athletes are prideful and have egos, and the way these arbitrations are designed can lead to a bruised ego on behalf of the player.

If you don't think professionals can have their feelings hurt, just look at David Poile's reaction to the business decision that Ryan Suter made...he took it personally.

If the Predators match, I'm sure Weber will be professional about it and show up and play...but it could also turn out to be a situation like Rick Nash where you have a disgruntled Captain on the ice...which wouldn't be a good situation for anyone.
ryan suter LIED to david poile, LIED to the press, and LIED to posters.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
ryan suter LIED to david poile, LIED to the press, and LIED to posters.
That was David Poile's interpretation....and I shouldn't have even brought it up as this is a thread about Shea Weber. So let's not go there.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:16 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
You're fooling yourself if you don't think hard feelings can arise in situations like this. Sure, it's business...but sometimes it gets personal. Athletes are prideful and have egos, and the way these arbitrations are designed can lead to a bruised ego on behalf of the player. When Shea Weber sits there and hears HIS boss say that his level of play is comparible with Dustin Byfuglien, I'm sure his blood begins to boil just a bit.

Not fooling myself at all. Just saying there's that fine line between business and personal. I just think it's funny when that it's business when Philly offers up this type of contract but in other cases it's personal. I know guys have feelings but if they're pro's they're pro's. They need to grow up and act like adults.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
predfan98

Quote:
That was David Poile's interpretation....and I shouldn't have even brought it up as this is a thread about Shea Weber. So let's not go there.
no you shouldn't have gone there, but you did.

I can see where a wild fan wouldn't want to hear their precious signee LIED all over Nashville.

blech..........

Old
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Once again, how did I know about what Suter said back in November if it's just Poile's interpretation? They had agreed on years and money back then. So it's not just Poile's interpretation.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Once again, how did I know about what Suter said back in November if it's just Poile's interpretation? They had agreed on years and money back then. So it's not just Poile's interpretation.
Wasn't aware of that....if they had an agreement in place, why didn't he re-sign back then?

Old
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that....if they had an agreement in place, why didn't he re-sign back then?
go back and look at the suter thread and the comments he made. it's all there if you want to look

Old
07-22-2012, 05:26 PM
JR303

Quote:
go back and look at the suter thread and the comments he made. it's all there if you want to look
about 17,000 of us have been wondering the same thing.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
because he wanted to cuddle with parise in the north pole but wanted to save face down here until then. dude is a *******.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
What is the thread title?

Old
07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Is it weird that I don't really care which way this goes? There are so many pros and cons to both sides that I honestly am going to be alright no matter what happens. The only outcome I REALLY don't like is just taking the picks, but at the same time, even that may be better than having a pissed, disinterested Weber leading our team. Who knows.

I hope we either match or don't match and get a good package for the picks, but I have no preference between the two. Either way, we'll survive.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:13 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
What is the thread title?
"Ryan Suter", page 2

Old
07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Nashville not saying a word why cause they cant match if they could they would have done it already no one takes the 7 days to match.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

I don't think we'll match. Just can't believe that we will be able pay that much.

Last edited by Russian Pred: 07-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 06:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Nashville not saying a word why cause they cant match if they could they would have done it already no one takes the 7 days to match.
decision has already been made im sure. seeing if a trade can be worked out.

also, nashville can put philly's plans on hold for 7 days. we hate philadelphia right now.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Poile is just waiting for the Comcast Flyers to blink and give away the rest of Philadelphia's future for the false hope among Flyer fans that Weber is that missing piece.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
"Ryan Suter", page 2
Thanks.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:37 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If Poile can match, he'll match. The Preds probably value Shea Weber over any package of young players Philly would send them. Waiting Holmgren out only makes sense if your not gonna match.
I would think it's the exact opposite. If Plan A is to force a favorable trade but Plan B is to match, you wait out Holmgren. That s-head will only give up Couts if it's his only chance to get Shea. If he believes he can get Shea with the picks along (i.e. Poile doesn't match), he'll just wait Poile out.

So, as we enter Day 6 of the stare down, Holmgren thinks Poile can't match and Poile thinks Holmgren will ultimately give him players and picks as long as he's willing/able to match.

If Poile doesn't match and doesn't get players to go along with the picks, then we have lost the game of Chicken.

This would be really dramatic, interesting and fun if it wasn't happening to us.

Thought I saw Poile at Exit 74 off I-65 in Brentwood this morning selling homeless papers. They must be close to scrounging up enough for the bonus.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Is it weird that I don't really care which way this goes? There are so many pros and cons to both sides that I honestly am going to be alright no matter what happens. The only outcome I REALLY don't like is just taking the picks, but at the same time, even that may be better than having a pissed, disinterested Weber leading our team. Who knows.

I hope we either match or don't match and get a good package for the picks, but I have no preference between the two. Either way, we'll survive.
I feel the same way.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Yeah $90,000,000 when he became a free agent AGAIN WHAT WAS THE OFFERS BEFORE THAT?????? I would say probably low ball to Mr. Suter since he wanted to test free agency because he KNEW he would get more $$$$$$$$$$$
You can rant that he lowballed all you want. It remains a baseless claim with no factual support. It's your feeling ... your guess ... still lacking fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
It is funny huh kinda of the same situation. The Preds knew and offer sheet could come just like the united states govt knew an attack could occur. Neither one could be predicted. Not sure on your point but i will play along.
Yes that is what i stated Poile and the owners should have seen an offer sheet coming for Weber. Why would someone predict the bonus money amount or contract? What would be the point not sure where you are going on that one either.
Maybe i missed it but if i was a GM of a team and Weber was on it i would expect if a team put in an offer sheet it would not be for market value or market worth. It would be a lot more and something to prevent me from matching. Maybe i am missing something but that is common sense to me.
If this contract is similar to Suter's in structure, we probably don't see this debate because the team probably finds a way to suck up $25mil in bonuses in three years after losing Suter to Minnesota.

Why would somebody predict such a bonus? Well, you're the one claiming this is so foreseeable, so predictable, yet NOBODY predicted something like this. You're trying to have it both ways and demonstrating a cognitive disconnect in the process. Either a mega-bonus laden offer sheet was was an obviously forthcoming event and EVERYONE failed to predict it, or the generic claims of a potential offer sheet failed to come close to foreseeing what Snider and Holmgren put forth. Which is it? Was it a case of an attack could happen or did ANYONE actually foresee what eventually happened?

Old
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
McRocksdafunk

If NSH trades weber's rights to another team before the offer sheet is accepted.
Could that team then sign weber to the terms that were agreed upon with Philly?

Old
07-22-2012, 07:10 PM
ninetynine*

Holmgren has offered crap to Nashville for the 1st rounders, which is expected as Philly holds all the leverage. Nashville has told Holmgren they have the money to match, but we'll see who'll blink first. If Holmgren doesn't offer something a little more Poile might match just before the deadline.

Closed Thread