HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Andrej Meszaros

Old
07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Andrej Meszaros

I've got a quick question about Meszaros, thanks in advance for your help. I know Meszaros played on the right in Philly despite being a left shot, and that he did the same in Ottawa. Is he one of those defensemen who naturally plays the off side, like Phaneuf, or was that strictly out of necessity? Basically, is he primarily a LD or a RD?

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
I've got a quick question about Meszaros, thanks in advance for your help. I know Meszaros played on the right in Philly despite being a left shot, and that he did the same in Ottawa. Is he one of those defensemen who naturally plays the off side, like Phaneuf, or was that strictly out of necessity? Basically, is he primarily a LD or a RD?
We have no defensemen who shoot RH (until Schenn and maybe Weber), so we have LH shots who get stuck on the right side. Mez typically plays in the 5-6 pairing and plays with either an old, slow vet, or a young, inexperienced AHL call-up, so I'm guessing he takes his off-handed side to help his partner.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
thelos
Bunk

He likes shooting too, so being on the right gives him an inside shot

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
bendersauce

some players forward or d just like to play the opposite side. i played defense and was a right hand shot but i always wanted to play left side. i preferred to always have my stick towards the slot.

bendersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendersauce View Post
some players forward or d just like to play the opposite side. i played defense and was a right hand shot but i always wanted to play left side. i preferred to always have my stick towards the slot.
Same with me, always played LD with a righty shot.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Meszaros has said he prefers right defense.

It is stated here,too, in a CSN article when he was signed ( http://www.csnphilly.com/07/01/10/Fl...blockID=264240 )

Quote:
“I had a lot of injuries there and surgery and my first year there [2008-09] wasn’t as good,” Meszaros said. “Then I was maybe trying too hard, playing the left side and then the right side. I don’t know. Hopefully, I will have good years like Ottawa in Philadelphia.”

Meszaros said he feels more comfortable at right defense. He played on the penalty kill and power play with Tampa.
It was mentioned, too, during the 2011 preseason when Matt Walker's name re-surfaced with a chance to make the roster because of a desire for a right-shot.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-22-2012 at 07:53 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Great, thanks for the info guys!

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Chabu

This is why I hope they don't offer up Mesz in the Weber overlap trade. Be nice to have the set right Ds. Schenn would work better as a 3rd pair right-side D, rather than on top 4.

Chabu is offline   Reply With Quote