HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign Winnik to 2 year contract (1.8m per year)

Old
07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Professor John Frink

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
I'll leave dsp's expectations to the GM and coaching staff. I am a super-fan, it is my luxury to make such predictions. I prefer to cut out the "grey" area why I am high on a player and not start a post by writing the words: "don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but..."
By all means cut out the "grey" area, but also realize it doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you wrong either, you just simply lose credibility here. If you don't care about that then by all means homer it up. Again just don't be surprised when you are constantly called out on it.

Dirk is a prime example of this. His love for toughness has caused many to pay no attention to his posts anymore. I'm not being critical of you just a warning is all.

Simply saying he is awesome and won't go to the AHL because you are a "super-fan" isn't really a viable argument.

Professor John Frink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think there is every possibility that he goes to the AHL this season, for one very big reason: He's eligible.

Last season the choice was the NHL or the OHL, and given his physical maturity, there really wasn't much of an advantage to him going to the OHL. He would have been a man playing against boys. The kid was just too strong for the OHL to really challenge him. Now, with the option to play in the AHL, he can still play against men, but he can develop more at his own pace, and refine his game further in the AHL.

I don't expect him to go to the AHL, but denying the possibility seems a little foolish. There is just no reason for Anaheim to not consider it, now that he's eligible for it, and if he doesn't have a great training camp, or struggles out of the gate, I'd hope that Anaheim would send him down.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think there is every possibility that he goes to the AHL this season, for one very big reason: He's eligible.

Last season the choice was the NHL or the OHL, and given his physical maturity, there really wasn't much of an advantage to him going to the OHL. He would have been a man playing against boys. The kid was just too strong for the OHL to really challenge him. Now, with the option to play in the AHL, he can still play against men, but he can develop more at his own pace, and refine his game further in the AHL.

I don't expect him to go to the AHL, but denying the possibility seems a little foolish. There is just no reason for Anaheim to not consider it, now that he's eligible for it, and if he doesn't have a great training camp, or struggles out of the gate, I'd hope that Anaheim would send him down.
You'd think he had better come out the gate flying, because if Palmieri keeps his play at the same level and Etem tears up the AHL at a Getzlafesque pace, there's a good chance he's he guy who gets sent down. I know he brings size, but I don't see Cogliano sitting on the bench with his salary, Beleskey will drop the gloves, and Winnik is a much better player right now.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
By all means cut out the "grey" area, but also realize it doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you wrong either, you just simply lose credibility here. If you don't care about that then by all means homer it up. Again just don't be surprised when you are constantly called out on it.

Dirk is a prime example of this. His love for toughness has caused many to pay no attention to his posts anymore. I'm not being critical of you just a warning is all.

Simply saying he is awesome and won't go to the AHL because you are a "super-fan" isn't really a viable argument.
I'm not as active as Dirk is voicing my opinion, and when I do homer it up I do it on these boards instead of the main forums... The gap between dirk and myself is huge....

I've already homerd on dsp and sbisa last season several times... You'll have to excuse my half ....... Post

My main point was trying adress the multiple posters that have one foot in and out the door on several players, lineup formations etc. then January rolls around and these same posters come back and say "I told you so over the summer"

Last edited by DaDucks: 07-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.
DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You'd think he had better come out the gate flying, because if Palmieri keeps his play at the same level and Etem tears up the AHL at a Getzlafesque pace, there's a good chance he's he guy who gets sent down. I know he brings size, but I don't see Cogliano sitting on the bench with his salary, Beleskey will drop the gloves, and Winnik is a much better player right now.
Agreed. He's going to need to earn his spot this season, and work hard to hold on to it. His own eligibility, and the competition for spots, should guarantee that.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Finnpin

For the price I like this signing. Having a forward there who knows to defend is a plus. We still need to add some grit/toughness.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote