HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 07:15 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Nashville not saying a word why cause they cant match if they could they would have done it already no one takes the 7 days to match.
Why NOT take 7 days to match? What do the Predators have to gain by matching immediately?

And Nashville isn't saying a word because Nashville doesn't say a word about anything until it's done. GMDP is notorious for this. There are rarely, if ever, leaks about moves we make before they happen. This case is no different. GMDP plays everything very close to the vest. We won't be hearing anything until he announces himself what the team has chosen to do.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
vandyfan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Wasn't aware of that....if they had an agreement in place, why didn't he re-sign back then?
Because Suter wanted to see the organization commit to getting better and attract top players towards building a cup.

Funny about that though, even with Suter and Parise, Minny still isn't a PO team.

Suter can suck a fat one and go to hell.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
vandyfan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Holmgren has offered crap to Nashville for the 1st rounders, which is expected as Philly holds all the leverage. Nashville has told Holmgren they have the money to match, but we'll see who'll blink first. If Holmgren doesn't offer something a little more Poile might match just before the deadline.
It really is a game of chicken right now. Who ducks out first remains to be seen.

If it wasn't for the structure we would have already matched. I really don't believe the team has 26 million in cash right now.

Though right now they would only need 13 million and another 13 million would be due July 1st

Old
07-22-2012, 07:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Anyone think Ed Snider, a powerful owner got an inside track on the Preds financial capabilities and that's why the Flyers were so aggressive?
It doesn't take much to figure out the Preds can handle big contracts only if spread over a longer term with short term liquidity being a hurdle. It's common knowledge that the Preds are a team that operates near the break even point even after non-hockey events are taken into consideration. It's no secret that while our owners are far from poor by the common definition, they lack the extremely deep pockets of an Ed Snider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
I would think it's the exact opposite. If Plan A is to force a favorable trade but Plan B is to match, you wait out Holmgren. That s-head will only give up Couts if it's his only chance to get Shea. If he believes he can get Shea with the picks along (i.e. Poile doesn't match), he'll just wait Poile out.

So, as we enter Day 6 of the stare down, Holmgren thinks Poile can't match and Poile thinks Holmgren will ultimately give him players and picks as long as he's willing/able to match.

If Poile doesn't match and doesn't get players to go along with the picks, then we have lost the game of Chicken.

This would be really dramatic, interesting and fun if it wasn't happening to us.

Thought I saw Poile at Exit 74 off I-65 in Brentwood this morning selling homeless papers. They must be close to scrounging up enough for the bonus.
Any trade by Philly to get some of their picks back will come from either the goodness of their heart (or the pit where such an organ should exist) or an intent to get their own picks back in case they want to go the offer sheet route again in the future. They can say they'll trade roster player X to us for two of their picks lost as concession for the Preds not matching but can easily change their minds after they have Weber. Any trade cannot happen until after this scenario with the offer sheet plays out to its grand finale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
2 things,

Sorry, did not mean to snap at you, and sorry for misunderstanding. I see what you meant however, I think this is clearly a case of the rule being taken advantage of. Philly knew we would struggle to pay out $13million in bonuses over 4 years otherwise they wouldn't have put this offersheet in front of him to sign. A contract with $58 million in real salary and $52 million in bonus money is absolutely egregious.

Also, I don't think Henry and Cogan are automatically going to say, he this guy will become a partial ticket holder, we HAVE to match now or we might miss out on his extra $1,000 of revenue
From a hockey roster and PR standpoint, keeping Weber is an easy decision to make. Financially, it carries huge risk. Over the next 49-50 weeks Weber will get paid roughly what the Preds net at the gate without a work stoppage. It isn't a matter of wanting to keep him ... it's can it be done within the structure forced by Snider/Holmgren's offer sheet without risking the financial health of the franchise. Does the team even have $13,000,000 in cash to pay the signing bonus this week? With our reported financial situation, it is a legitimate question. If the answer is no, the only choice is to let Weber walk.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
cleangene

"Thought I saw Poile at Exit 74 off I-65 in Brentwood this morning selling homeless papers. They must be close to scrounging up enough for the bonus"

HAHAH..just classic, ILIILI!! It feels so much better to laugh at something that is funny instead of laughing to keep from crying or destroying some furniture. I will be so freaking glad when this comes to an end Wednesday.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:24 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
It really is a game of chicken right now. Who ducks out first remains to be seen.

If it wasn't for the structure we would have already matched. I really don't believe the team has 26 million in cash right now.

Though right now they would only need 13 million and another 13 million would be due July 1st
Yeah, the longer this drags out the more I expect Nashville to match, which is really what I want because I'm a Preds fan too and this move is a joke since Ed Snider [Flyers owner] is notoriously cheap in CBA negotiations yet tells or lets Holmgren do this. The question is, does Nashville have $13M on hand?

Old
07-22-2012, 07:27 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because Suter wanted to see the organization commit to getting better and attract top players towards building a cup.

Funny about that though, even with Suter and Parise, Minny still isn't a PO team.

Suter can suck a fat one and go to hell.
That remains to be seen!!!

Old
07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Anyone think Ed Snider, a powerful owner got an inside track on the Preds financial capabilities and that's why the Flyers were so aggressive?
Ed Snider has been a member of the NHL Board of Governors for many years and no the Philadelphia franchise has been a arrogant knee-jerk operation for many decades, so aggressiveness is expected from them always. Nothing they do should ever surprise any NHL fan. If the Weber heist fails, they'll target Bobby Ryan in Anaheim or Rick Nash in Columbus or whomever might become available.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Dado

vCash:
The Flyers are owned by the same company that bought the NHL broadcast rights. You guys are in tough - love the Flyers, it's true, but pulling for you guys, hoping it turns out as well as it possibly can.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Lundsanity30

I'm gonna say they match. No way they lose suter and weber both in a month

Old
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
PFL615

[QUOTE=101st_fan;52825987]You can rant that he lowballed all you want. It remains a baseless claim with no factual support. It's your feeling ... your guess ... still lacking fact.

If this contract is similar to Suter's in structure, we probably don't see this debate because the team probably finds a way to suck up $25mil in bonuses in three years after losing Suter to Minnesota.

Why would somebody predict such a bonus? Well, you're the one claiming this is so foreseeable, so predictable, yet NOBODY predicted something like this. You're trying to have it both ways and demonstrating a cognitive disconnect in the process. Either a mega-bonus laden offer sheet was was an obviously forthcoming event and EVERYONE failed to predict it, or the generic claims of a potential offer sheet failed to come close to foreseeing what Snider and Holmgren put forth. Which is it? Was it a case of an attack could happen or did ANYONE actually foresee what eventually happened?[/QUOTE

So my opinion is ranting now? Why is that because it goes against your opinion? I guess you are ranting to without any "facts" or "basis" So as i move on. I can say my opinion and i believe that Suter was not offered the amount he was until after Nashville was feeling the heat from other teams after he was a free agent. Since you are so sure of what you say and are so willing to point out what i am saying is incorrect. Show the proof that says he was offered the contracts he saw after he became a free agent by the Nashville Predators?

On your pointless offer sheet argument like i said before anyone with common sense would have known that if an offer sheet came to the table for Shea Weber it would be a huge overpayment and would be tough for Nashville to match. Simply no point in making an offer for a player you want unless you are going to make it very tough for the other team. It's not brain surgery and it has nothing to do with predicting things that lead to war.

Why dont you explain why Ryan Suter and Shea Weber could possibly no longer be Nashville Predators?

Old
07-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Jim Diamond article

Silence from Predators regarding Shea Weber is speaking volumes

http://www.examiner.com/article/sile...eaking-volumes

Old
07-22-2012, 07:59 PM
AEM6729

I have no idea which thread this question should go in. Move if you wish, mods...

How pissed do you think Rinne is about all this? Sucks to be the first of the Big Three to commit, then get left in the dust (if we don't match, or if we do and trade Weber in a year).

Old
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The Flyers are owned by the same company that bought the NHL broadcast rights. You guys are in tough - love the Flyers, it's true, but pulling for you guys, hoping it turns out as well as it possibly can.
Through someone else. Comcast owns 63% of a subsidiary (Comcast-Spectacor) and they own the Flyers.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:07 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
From a hockey roster and PR standpoint, keeping Weber is an easy decision to make. Financially, it carries huge risk. Over the next 49-50 weeks Weber will get paid roughly what the Preds net at the gate without a work stoppage. It isn't a matter of wanting to keep him ... it's can it be done within the structure forced by Snider/Holmgren's offer sheet without risking the financial health of the franchise. Does the team even have $13,000,000 in cash to pay the signing bonus this week? With our reported financial situation, it is a legitimate question. If the answer is no, the only choice is to let Weber walk.
I'm sure the preds ownership have the money, or have access...the question is do they want to spend it.

On top of the bad financial deal (for any team that takes this deal) that it is if he plays, its 1000 times worse if he gets a major injury. Since the first 6 years are 13m signing bonuses they are not insurable, like normal salary. Essentially, if (hope this doesn't happen) he gets a career injury thats 78m in uninsurable liabilities.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:09 PM
MSSLYNX

Quite pissed i would say. Same goes for some here too.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Jim Diamond article

Silence from Predators regarding Shea Weber is speaking volumes

http://www.examiner.com/article/sile...eaking-volumes
I can't agree with this statement more. This is a total PR failure. I posted in another thread, should the Preds match, they should the very next day trade for Rick Nash or Ryan, or someone with buzz...Its time to PROVE you will be a player as your words keep indicating.

If any GM should have had 1000 pictures taken of him in line with Kovalchuk or Richards, ect it should have been Poile.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:13 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

I just don't see how preds ownership wants to keep him around knowing that he wants to play for Philly. Better get a good deal for him now while they can

Old
07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
decision has already been made im sure. seeing if a trade can be worked out.

also, nashville can put philly's plans on hold for 7 days. we hate philadelphia right now.
No. I hated Philly in the 1970s because of what they did to hockey, almost ruined it with goonery. I haven't changed my position. Now their owner is a goon.

I hope Nashville matches, if only to screw Snider and his plans.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:20 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
I just don't see how preds ownership wants to keep him around knowing that he wants to play for Philly. Better get a good deal for him now while they can
Weber signed an offer sheet in RFA instead of waiting a year and becoming a UFA and go wherever he wanted like Ryan Suter. What's the rush getting out of Nashville? The Predators match and hang on to Weber for another year then see what kind of return he brings in a trade next summer and I can guarantee you it will be far better that the second rate stuff the Flyers are offering.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:21 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRocksdafunk View Post
If NSH trades weber's rights to another team before the offer sheet is accepted.
Could that team then sign weber to the terms that were agreed upon with Philly?
The offersheet has been accepted. They can no longer trade him. Its match, or not match.

And as a side deal there could be a GM "gentleman's agreement" that the preds will not match then the Flyers will send some roster players back in return for some of the picks that are being sent for the offersheet.

Should the preds match, they then are prohibited from trading him for 1 year, which means they are on the hook for a total of 27m in that time.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Weber signed an offer sheet in RFA instead of waiting a year and becoming a UFA and go wherever he wanted like Ryan Suter. What's the rush getting out of Nashville? The Predators match and hang on to Weber for another year then see what kind of return he brings in a trade next summer and I can guarantee you it will be far better that the second rate stuff the Flyers are offering.
At that point we'll have paid $27,000,000.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I can't agree with this statement more. This is a total PR failure. I posted in another thread, should the Preds match, they should the very next day trade for Rick Nash or Ryan, or someone with buzz...Its time to PROVE you will be a player as your words keep indicating.

If any GM should have had 1000 pictures taken of him in line with Kovalchuk or Richards, ect it should have been Poile.
I disagree. The Nashville Predators and Shea Weber have been the number #1 topic in Hockey since last Thursday. Just look at all the boards concerning them. It is bringing buzz to the Predators which if they end up signing Weber could be good. On the other hand i commend them for thinking everyting through and hopefully looking at ALL avenues and options.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
The rush is he wanted 110m guaranteed, which may (likely) not be there next year.

He should have taken that deal if it was offered from CBJ.

And it is highly likely that his value will be bigger next season...if he were to get hurt though, then that's out the window.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
At that point we'll have paid $27,000,000.
How money will they lose if they get useless spare parts back from Philadelphia and the team falls to the bottom of the standings with no hope of playoff gate revenue to offset some of the losses?

Closed Thread