HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Return of Carlo Colaiacovo

View Poll Results: If you could bring back Colaiacovo for one season, would you?
Yes, if the price was right and he would agree, I would bring back Colaiacovo. 16 27.12%
No, price and term don't matter, it is time to move on from Colaiacovo. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  #26
superblues
:sarcasm: implied
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
I have wanted Carlo off the roster since the Blues kept him over Weaver. Between the injuries, the seemingly constant D-zone mistakes, and the poor offensive production, little would make me happier with this franchise than seeing Carlo signed elsewhere.

That said, I would be OK with his return to the Blues ONLY as a 7th (edit 8th) defenseman on a dirt cheap, one-year, two-way contract, once all other defensive options have been exhausted. He is far too injury prone and defensively weak to rely on in any type of regular capacity. This gives us some cheap depth with experience in our system while allowing Carlo a shot at redeeming himself (a la Oshie and Stewart) for a contract the following season.

edit: But, um, didn't we already sign Woywitka to be our 7th?


Last edited by superblues: 07-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.
superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:10 PM
  #27
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
The more I think about that, the less sure I am it is such a bad option.
I believe what has happened with your thought processes is you have given this so much thought you have overthought it and summarily have lost your marbles in this manner. Or perhaps as time goes on the less you remember how frustrating Colo was from about March on.

Quote:
Obviously, Colaiacovo isn't Plan A. He isn't Plan B either. But honestly would bringing Colaiacovo back next season be such a bad thing?
What comes after plan Z? That would be where Colo would rank on my personal scale.
To explain this in more detail, upon reading this I thought the Blues had re-signed him and I almost lost my very expensive monitor. The idea of Colo in the Blue note again make me nauseous.

Quote:
But is he really worse than the other options out there?
On the FA market, no probably not.
But in comparison to internal candidates...yes.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
  #28
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 500
Height Weight Date Of Birth Age Birth Place
23 Ian Cole 6' 1" 225 Feb 21, 1989 23 Ann Arbor, MI, USA
5 Barret Jackman "A" 6' 0" 205 Mar 5, 1981 31 Trail, BC, CAN
27 Alex Pietrangelo 6' 3" 205 Jan 18, 1990 22 King City, ON, CAN
46 Roman Polak 6' 1" 225 Apr 28, 1986 26 Ostrava, CZE
4 Kris Russell 5' 10" 172 May 2, 1987 25 Caroline, AB, CAN
22 Kevin Shattenkirk 5' 11" 208 Jan 29, 1989 23 Greenwich, CT, USA

Russell is a munchkin.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
  #29
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
If you are arguing Russell is not large enough to be a top 6 defenseman on a team as good as the Blues' defense should be, in particular in the Western conference...

Well, okay, I can see that. Do not totally agree but I can see where you are coming from.

If your argument is in favor or re-signing Colo and having him play in place of Russell I suggest you re-examine any or all random Blues game(s) from 3/1/12 on and then re-evaluate.



Because, no matter how small Russell is, he did in fact outplay Colo. We can argue about tougher minutes, but then Colo was playing next to Pietrangelo who spent an awfully large amount of time bailing Carlo out.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
  #30
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of Russell either. I'll be glad when he's replaced with a more capable defender, as I feel he's the weakest link of the d-core.

Sure he's a good skater and moves the puck well...but he's neutralized pretty easily by a solid fore-check. I get that he had a strong series against LA...but I think he's a niche player who in a perfect world would be replaced by someone who's 200+ pounds.

Show me a team where Russell is a top-6 defender, and I'll show you a team that's in need of upgrading their defense.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
  #31
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Size doesn't mean that much. Boyle, Enstrom, Campbell, and Timonen are all similar sizes.

I don't understand the size argument either. Was his lack of size against LA a problem? No, it was not and they were clearly a bigger team. If his size is not a liability against a team like LA, then it's not an issue.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:33 PM
  #32
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I'm not a fan of Russell either. I'll be glad when he's replaced with a more capable defender, as I feel he's the weakest link of the d-core.

Sure he's a good skater and moves the puck well...but he's neutralized pretty easily by a solid fore-check. I get that he had a strong series against LA...but I think he's a niche player who in a perfect world would be replaced by someone who's 200+ pounds.
No he's not. He has the ideal skill set to counter a strong fore-check. You counter a fore-check with mobility and strong puck skills, not size and physicality.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
  #33
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
No he's not. He has the ideal skill set to counter a strong fore-check. You counter a fore-check with mobility and strong puck skills, not size and physicality.
And if the other team has the puck, he's virtually useless. He can't clear the crease, he can't take the body and he's essentially relegated to using his (small) frame and stick. I'd take Nikitin back any day, even with his propensity to score into his own net.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
  #34
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Sure he's a good skater and moves the puck well...but he's neutralized pretty easily by a solid fore-check. I get that he had a strong series against LA...but I think he's a niche player who in a perfect world would be replaced by someone who's 200+ pounds.
These two statements are incongruous.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:43 PM
  #35
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
And if the other team has the puck, he's virtually useless. He can't clear the crease, he can't take the body and he's essentially relegated to using his (small) frame and stick. I'd take Nikitin back any day, even with his propensity to score into his own net.
That's why he is with Polak, they compliment each other. Cole would also be a compliment if Polak moved up.

Nikitin wasn't successful here because he didn't have a partner that was a good compliment for him.

Bottom pairing defenders can't do everything because they aren't good enough. They have clear deficiencies in their game and that is why they are bottom pairing defensemen. Russell makes Polak look better and Polak makes Russell look better because they both allow each other to concentrate on their own game.

A Nikitin-Polak pairing would be just like the Jackman-Polak pairing, a disaster. Neither one compliment each other and neither one has attributes that would improve the other player's game.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
  #36
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
These two statements are incongruous.
Not really. He performed better than the second-pairing but also coughed up the puck a couple times behind the net. His screw-ups didn't end up in the back of the net like Shattenkirk's and Jackman's did, so his numbers don't look as bad...but he's always going to be physically over-matched. Just because it didn't cost the Blues against LA doesn't mean it won't in the future.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
  #37
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
And if the other team has the puck, he's virtually useless. He can't clear the crease, he can't take the body and he's essentially relegated to using his (small) frame and stick. I'd take Nikitin back any day, even with his propensity to score into his own net.
You really cannot clear the crease anymore, lest you feel like giving the other team a man advantage for 2 minutes. Due to so many referees being incapable of understanding nuance, they blow the whistle on "obvious" interference penalties.
Thinking fondly of Nikitin means forgetting the very serious communication barrier that was present when he played with any partner. Nikitin was fine when all he needed to do was read and react to a play...it was whenever there was communication required (in particular if the communication was of an advanced nature or if it was rushed) things went south quickly.
Playing with Tyutin is the best thing that could have happened to Nikitin, he allowed the coaching staff to have an on-ice translator at all times during the game and Nikitin obviously blossomed when that happened. But that would not have occurred on the Blues this season, and thinking it would have is an awful large amount of starry-eyed optimism.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:50 PM
  #38
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Not really. He performed better than the second-pairing but also coughed up the puck a couple times behind the net. His screw-ups didn't end up in the back of the net like Shattenkirk's and Jackman's did, so his numbers don't look as bad...but he's always going to be physically over-matched. Just because it didn't cost the Blues against LA doesn't mean it won't in the future.
Yes really.

Look, one of the reasons why Russell performed well was because he had a partner that could play the very physical game LA wanted to play. I am not going to deny that, but whenever a player can make a good first pass or rush the puck out of the zone it tends to cause matchup issues with the opposition's checking forwards.
Part of the reason his screwups did not end up in the back of the net was that he made fewer and what were made were far less egregious as a whole. I do recall him losing the puck behind the net in game...3 I think.
I would love to have a 6' plus, 200 plus player playing the #6 role, but typically if those players have the skillset Russell does they are playing a top 4 role.

I would love to be able to improve on Russell....but not if the "improvement" is Colo. Because that would not be an improvement.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
  #39
BergMan
#BackesForSelke
 
BergMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind a russell/pie pairing, with cole and polak as the 3rd. Teach cole how he needs to be by example (polak)
This is also a scenario I think would play out well

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:44 PM
  #40
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
I saw CC play in the AHL. He was not a player that I would want on my team. Nothing that I have seen in the NHL has changed my mind. He was never as good as people wrote that he was. Maybe Nashville could use him with Suter and perhaps Weber being gone, or another team short on D-men.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:16 PM
  #41
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 50
Colaiacovo was overmatched on the top pairing at the end of the season. A better partner (better first pass and more capable physically on the defensive end) would allow Pietro to become even more involved at the offensive zone.

Russell was a nice surprise, and one of the Blues best players in the LA series. But the reason he did well is that he was getting more protected ice time. Russell is a good fit on the 3rd pairing. But he's physically overmatched against the other team's top lines. Hitchcock never used him in that capacity. But to imagine that his 3rd pairing performance would somehow translate into a top pairing partner for Pietro is a giant stretch. Colaicovo's return would be a better option, and I don't think that would be a great option. Having said that, they (Cola/Pietro) were still a very effective pairing most of the season. But to take the next step forward to being an elite contender, the Blues need to upgrade that position.

I could see Cola's return if:
1) The Blues really are ready to move on from Cole. This would probably be a sign that they're giving up on him in the longer term picture, because bringing in Colaiacovo would probably hurt his development (since he'd be crowded out again like last season).

2) If its a one-year contract for Colaiacovo. This would signal that Armstrong continues to work to find a better solution for Pietro's partner. They would either be sending Cola back in a mid-season trade (plus other stuff obviously) or if they had to, bury him on the bench for the rest of the season (if there were no injuries).

But if the partner for Pietro is a choice of:
Cole, Jackman, Russell and Colaicovo, then bringing Carlo back on a cheap one-year deal is not a terrible option. I don't get too excited about any of those options, but folks are severely overstating Carlo's limitations. He's "adequate", but is not going to help the Blues elevate to the next level.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:02 AM
  #42
Bluesnatic27
Registered User
 
Bluesnatic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
I've always liked Colio, even with his sub-par play, because of his puck moving ability. But it's time to move on, he's made of glass and with Fairchild in the system, there really is no need for him. I hope he signs with a good team and wish him the best of luck, because there really is no room for him here

Bluesnatic27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:34 AM
  #43
inglouriousbackes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bellevegas, Illinois
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
i like cola, but due to his past injury history I'm pretty skeptical in resigning him. If he wasn't sploding bones i would gladly have him back.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:21 AM
  #44
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Colaiacovo was overmatched on the top pairing at the end of the season. A better partner (better first pass and more capable physically on the defensive end) would allow Pietro to become even more involved at the offensive zone.

Russell was a nice surprise, and one of the Blues best players in the LA series. But the reason he did well is that he was getting more protected ice time. Russell is a good fit on the 3rd pairing. But he's physically overmatched against the other team's top lines. Hitchcock never used him in that capacity. But to imagine that his 3rd pairing performance would somehow translate into a top pairing partner for Pietro is a giant stretch. Colaicovo's return would be a better option, and I don't think that would be a great option. Having said that, they (Cola/Pietro) were still a very effective pairing most of the season. But to take the next step forward to being an elite contender, the Blues need to upgrade that position.
^ gets it.

well said.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
  #45
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
I don't understand the direct comparisons of Colaiacovo and Russell. They both would be in different roles. If Colaiacovo does not return, that does not mean Russell takes his spot.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
  #46
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
I have virtually no interest in bringing Cola back.

However, I think adding Cola would improve the current group. He would add depth and provide another partner option for Petro.

Counter to that though, adding Cola could very well make trading for a legit partner for Petro midseason to be harder to do or might result in it not happening at all since adding Cola might not leave room for the d-man the Blues might potentially trade for.

I just discussed a lot of "what ifs" and there are a ton of moving parts but all things considered, I wouldn't re-sign Cola...unless perhaps it's at way less than what he's probably looking for and he understands what his role would be.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
  #47
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Poliocovo can find another suitor for his...talents.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
  #48
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,995
vCash: 500
Well JR said it was 50-50 awhile back, and now he thinks it is about a 20% chance that he returns. I think we can all rest easy now lol.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:51 AM
  #49
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Well JR said it was 50-50 awhile back, and now he thinks it is about a 20% chance that he returns. I think we can all rest easy now lol.
Thank god, I really don't want to watch him another season. Makes some idol the most bone headed plays and gets injured by looking at the ice. Good riddance, I'll take my chances with Cole.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:43 AM
  #50
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Thank god, I really don't want to watch him another season. Makes some idol the most bone headed plays and gets injured by looking at the ice. Good riddance, I'll take my chances with Cole.
Don't be so harsh on Cola. He filled admirably when the Blues D was in very bad shape. Steen AND Cola for Stempy? I would do it all over again!

The fact is that there are not enough exceptionally talented players to fill every single spot on every single NHL roster.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.