HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber email campaign

Old
07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Guess Henry must have a busy weekend planned. This is the auto reply i got to my e-mail to him about 15 minutes ago. I would not even ponder getting tickets that made me laugh.

---
I am out of the office through Monday the 23rd with sporadic access to email. If I do not do so sooner, I look forward to returning yours when I get back in the office.

Remember the best way to secure tickets to Predator games and enjoy incredible benefits at the best price is to hold a ticket package. Our Season Ticket Holders are always first in line for Bridgestone Arena events, as well.

For more information on how to lock in your seats, and be able to get guaranteed tickets for all of our great events, please call 615/770-7800 to talk to your personalized account rep today.

Thanks and GO PREDS,

Sean

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:46 PM
AEM6729

This was my e-mail I sent last night. I agree with those who have said that sending a personal, rather than a form letter, is more effective:

Quote:
I know you may be receiving a lot of e-mails about this right now, but as a fan this is all I can do to feebly attempt to influence this situation. I've been a Predators season ticket holder since 1998 (when I was 12); since then, I've grown up, gotten married and purchased my own season tickets for myself and my husband. We're die-hard fans and have been there through all the ups and downs of this franchise. That being said, not matching the offer sheet placed on Shea Weber is not a down we'd be willing to tolerate.

We cannot allow the perception of fans, other players and the league that our team is a cheap one who cannot hold on to its players become a reality. That's what will happen if we don't match. If that happens, my husband and I will be canceling our season ticket package. We have faithfully spent great deals of time and money on this team over the years, and we believed ownership when they said we would be a cap team committed to winning the Stanley Cup. If we will not or cannot match this offer sheet, it proves that the owners are liars, and my family will no longer be willing to sink our hard-earned money into this team. And honestly, it will break my heart.

I know you don't control much about this decision, but I've e-mailed you before and I know you read e-mails from fans and ticket holders and I felt that I had to do whatever small thing I could to make my feelings known to the organization.

PLEASE convince the owners to give David Poile what he needs to match the offer sheet. The reputation of our franchise depends on it.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:11 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah I agree. Personalized emails are always better. Like I said, I don't mind if people use the one I posted (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it), but writing your own is likely the best way to go.

Let's get everyone we know to email them up until Tuesday.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:12 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I got that initially, and then an actual response from him (though most of it was the same thing he will send everyone else about the team needing to speak with one voice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Guess Henry must have a busy weekend planned. This is the auto reply i got to my e-mail to him about 15 minutes ago. I would not even ponder getting tickets that made me laugh.

---
I am out of the office through Monday the 23rd with sporadic access to email. If I do not do so sooner, I look forward to returning yours when I get back in the office.

Remember the best way to secure tickets to Predator games and enjoy incredible benefits at the best price is to hold a ticket package. Our Season Ticket Holders are always first in line for Bridgestone Arena events, as well.

For more information on how to lock in your seats, and be able to get guaranteed tickets for all of our great events, please call 615/770-7800 to talk to your personalized account rep today.

Thanks and GO PREDS,

Sean

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Got a similar reply from Sean.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Grass roots email a great idea. Someone should start a "MatchForWeber" (some name like that) Facebook Page, too.
Let your team know how it will affect you (and them, if you intend to stop going to games).

I am a Pens fan so obviously I don't want to see Weber in Philly, but a much bigger issue is the potential destabilization of your team or an actual rebuild. No one should want that after what the Preds have accomplished the last two years. One of the few southern hockey markets that is putting out a really good product from year to year and great fans (unlike most of the "fans" in ATL who can bring themselves to love only football, and let not one but two franchises leave). Florida's fans are major league bandwagoners also. But Nashville fans are fantastic. You guys deserve a good team.

Weber's agent is a d-bag IMO, because it is Weber's departure, not Suter's, that might constitute a "rebuild" - big, lame excuse to make his client look like he has a valid reason to want out, IMHO).

So get the word out by all means necessary. Spraypaint some billboards Fight Club style "Keep Weber in Nashville, Dave!"

I don't know if Weber would stay for long but here's what I do know: there are teams out there who can offer you a helluva lot better than 4 picks from Philly between spots 20 and 30 the next 4 years. Even if you had to pay $26M and trade him after a year, you could get enough to avoid a rebuild. He easily commands a Top 6 F, a top pairing D, a blue chip D prospect, and a 1st rounder. Maybe more depending on who's offering. Hope it works out for you guys! Even if you end up trading him to another eastern team (really doubt it would be Pittsburgh unless you want to load up on D and D prospects in the trade without much F help), it shouldn't end up costing you depth, it should add to your depth.

Best of luck and Go Preds.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
PFL615

Mr. Henry responded late last night from his i-phone. It was the same format sent to Thirdman. Only changed was who he was sending the email to. Atleast they are reading them (hopefully).

Old
07-21-2012, 11:58 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Grass roots email a great idea. Someone should start a "MatchForWeber" (some name like that) Facebook Page, too.
Let your team know how it will affect you (and them, if you intend to stop going to games).

I am a Pens fan so obviously I don't want to see Weber in Philly, but a much bigger issue is the potential destabilization of your team or an actual rebuild. No one should want that after what the Preds have accomplished the last two years. One of the few southern hockey markets that is putting out a really good product from year to year and great fans (unlike most of the "fans" in ATL who can bring themselves to love only football, and let not one but two franchises leave). Florida's fans are major league bandwagoners also. But Nashville fans are fantastic. You guys deserve a good team.
Which "fans" were those? The ones that stopped going to the games and cancelled season ticket packages because the ownership wouldn't ice a competitive team and kept losing star players or the ones that kept going to the games no matter what? You don't understand that the ownership of the Thrashers ruined the team on purpose so that they could sell it for more out of market than they could get in market.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:17 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
We could try to get #MatchForWeber trending on Twitter.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
CalebWhitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Which "fans" were those? The ones that stopped going to the games and cancelled season ticket packages because the ownership wouldn't ice a competitive team and kept losing star players or the ones that kept going to the games no matter what? You don't understand that the ownership of the Thrashers ruined the team on purpose so that they could sell it for more out of market than they could get in market.
THIS

how would you feel if your ownership decided to bail on your team? how would you feel if they refused to sign any talent or resign any stars. Atlanta CAN work, if we had actual owners that cared and even knew the hockey game. the A$G even said themselves they know nothing about hockey and only cared about the hawks. there are REAL FANS here who refuse the support those money loving greedy ********. I for one, will never step foot in Phillips Arena until it is not owned by the A$G. TO A$G we were an experiment that didn't work so they sold out and dumped the team. For God's sake we only had the team for 10 years, but then TNSE swept in and took the team away. Im happy for the Jets now. they have real owners who actually care about putting a good product on the ice.

CalebWhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
To be clear: I know there were some real fans in ATL but the proportion relative to other fan bases was very low, even during the Kovachoo, Heatley and Hossa years. It's just not a hockey city, period. I was there for the first departure (Flames), and although pretty young at the time it was the same deal. Lots of empty seats everywhere from the start of the season to the end. My brother lives down there and said when he attended games half the fans weren't even paying attention; they would go as a sort of "social event" to eat at the club restaurant there, etc.

All my observations of the fans in that arena during good games and bad tells me the same thing; on the whole, the fans weren't into it, regardless of who was winning. Opposite of NSH. Place is always packed, always loud, in good years or bad. That was never the case in ATL, even the couple seasons they were in the playoff hunt. I can appreciate at the end your ownership bailing, but they weren't in bail mode the whole time. IMHO the experiment failed and that's all there is to it. Really it's on the NHL for thinking hockey would take there the second time.

ATL is a football city (and I have lived there for a substantial amount of time in the past so I'm not a total outsider), plain and simple. It's not just the Thrashers, the Hawks and Braves get similar treatment when the teams are doing "just OK". Hell even during the Braves' heydey in the 90s, there were always empty seats. I know people complain about Turner and ticket prices but common. That only goes so far.

"Dawgs"
Jackets
Falcons, in that order... everyone else is 4th.

Anyway I mostly wanted to praise Nashville's fans so a comparison is called for. Not trying to offend the real fans in ATL (and anyone posting in this board is likely to be a real fan I realize).

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 06:49 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
To be clear: I know there were some real fans in ATL but the proportion relative to other fan bases was very low, even during the Kovachoo and Hossa years. It's just not a hockey city, period. I was there for the first departure (Flames), and although pretty young at the time it was the same deal. Lots of empty seats everywhere from the start of the season to the end. My brother lives down there and said when he attended games half the fans weren't even paying attention; they would go as a sort of "social event" to eat at the club restaurant there, etc.

All my observations of the fans in that arena during good games and bad tells me the same thing; on the whole, the fans weren't into it, regardless of who was winning. Opposite of NSH. Place is always packed, always loud, in good years or bad. That was never the case in ATL, even the couple seasons they were in the playoff hunt. I can appreciate at the end your ownership bailing, but they weren't in bail mode the whole time. IMHO the experiment failed and that's all there is to it. Really it's on the NHL for thinking hockey would take there the second time.

ATL is a football city (and I have lived there for a substantial amount of time in the past so I'm not a total outsider), plain and simple. It's not just the Thrashers, the Hawks and Braves get similar treatment when the teams are doing "just OK". Hell even during the Braves' heydey in the 90s, there were always empty seats. I know people complain about Turner and ticket prices but common. That only goes so far.

"Dawgs"
Jackets

Anyway I mostly wanted to praise Nashville's fans so a comparison is called for. Not trying to offend the real fans in ATL (and anyone posting in this board is likely to be a real fan I realize).
I understand what you are saying, but two things...
One. Yes, that ownership group was in bail mode the entire time. The Thrashers were basically a "throw-in" when they bought the Hawks and the Arena operating rights from AOL. AOL (that acquired the properties when they purchased Time Warner) just wanted to be rid of them the entire time too. The ASG was trying to "flip the team" from day one and were stopped from doing so when they started to sue one another. No local owner was willing to buy the franchise and be stuck with a crappy lease to lawsuit happy landlords that didn't even like hockey and had run off the existing fan base.

Two. What good times? First few years the building was full (even though the team wasn't any good). Oh wait, there was one "good time":

I contend that the experiment was never given a chance the second time. There were a couple of years at the beginning when the original owner cared and tried to make an expansion team work, after that there were only owners that tried to sell the team as quickly as they could. Penguins were in trouble too when they stayed at the bottom of the pack for too long.

I appreciate your civil response, but NHL hockey could've worked here with a little success. The city is filled with northern transplants after all. I know my son was inspired by having a team here and still plays for his high school team as a direct result. They were even "A" state champs last season. I don't know why the Braves don't get more support except that baseball is kind of boring (but not a boring as football!).

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I contend that the experiment was never given a chance the second time. There were a couple of years at the beginning when the original owner cared and tried to make an expansion team work, after that there were only owners that tried to sell the team as quickly as they could. Penguins were in trouble too when they stayed at the bottom of the pack for too long.

I appreciate your civil response, but NHL hockey could've worked here with a little success. The city is filled with northern transplants after all. I know my son was inspired by having a team here and still plays for his high school team as a direct result. They were even "A" state champs last season. I don't know why the Braves don't get more support except that baseball is kind of boring (but not a boring as football!).

That's the theory (northern transplants) that they used in FLA too, and Tampa. And while both have had more success at different times and more marquee players, pretty much the same thing happens down there. Team is really good, the seats fill. Otherwise, the seats are not filled.

I like your picture of the one good time btw. Touche. I didn't realize your owners were that f-ed up from the beginning but still you had a few rosters that were decent when lining up the three big offensive guys and some decent role players. Not a contender by any means but worth watching for die-hard hockey fans starved for entertainment from their "northern roots".

Moving back to NSH though I've just always been impressed how hard-core their fans are (and also in bigtime football country). I think part of the deal is, there isn't a basketball and baseball team also competing for fan dollars there but that's another story.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE
Quote:
“I want to see them put the best team on the ice that they can,” Schmidt said. “I’m a hockey fan and was before the Predators came here, so it won’t dissuade me to go to the games (if Weber is lost). It’s always an exciting product one way or another on the ice. You just hate to see them put in these positions where they lose big stars.”
This guy doesn't get it!!! Not signing Weber means we'll never have a Star player or at least one that will stay until he hits UFA. We become an AHL franchise on Thursday. The team moves in 10 years guaranteed, because no one will watch the boring Trotz Trap hockey that we'll play expect a lot of 0-3 loses for the next 5 years.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
To be clear: I know there were some real fans in ATL but the proportion relative to other fan bases was very low, even during the Kovachoo, Heatley and Hossa years. It's just not a hockey city, period. I was there for the first departure (Flames), and although pretty young at the time it was the same deal. Lots of empty seats everywhere from the start of the season to the end. My brother lives down there and said when he attended games half the fans weren't even paying attention; they would go as a sort of "social event" to eat at the club restaurant there, etc.

"Dawgs"
Jackets

Offense taken and I agree with VF...

Also if you consider Florida and Tampa good examples as well, then just use them to take jabs at other fan bases. Since they actually have teams, It should be easier for them to ignore the expert posters and their brothers who get to declare which cities are hockey cities and which are not.

Leave us folks who lost our team out of it please.

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE

This guy doesn't get it!!! Not signing Weber means we'll never have a Star player or at least one that will stay until he hits UFA. We become an AHL franchise on Thursday. The team moves in 10 years guaranteed, because no one will watch the boring Trotz Trap hockey that we'll play expect a lot of 0-3 loses for the next 5 years.
You know, losing Weber will be a huge blow, especially on the heels of losing Suter. That said, the franchise existed, managed to be competitive, and managed to make the playoffs before the two of them asserted themselves as some of the top defensemen in the league. This is an organization with great character, that despite limitations on budgets and talent, manage to compete year after year, achieving consistent regular season success in the face of constant media nay saying. What a shame for that all to fall apart, and the fans to fade away, simply for the loss of players, who for all their talent, are not the be all and end all of this organization.

It's a pity I live 2000 miles away, or Weber-less or not, I would love to waste my $ on season tickets.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:36 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
You know, losing Weber will be a huge blow, especially on the heels of losing Suter. That said, the franchise existed, managed to be competitive, and managed to make the playoffs before the two of them asserted themselves as some of the top defensemen in the league. This is an organization with great character, that despite limitations on budgets and talent, manage to compete year after year, achieving consistent regular season success in the face of constant media nay saying. What a shame for that all to fall apart, and the fans to fade away, simply for the loss of players, who for all their talent, are not the be all and end all of this organization.

It's a pity I live 2000 miles away, or Weber-less or not, I would love to waste my $ on season tickets.
Of coarse you would until you watch them get destroyed by Chicago and Detroit a couple of times in Nashville sitting in an arena that is 80% or more red. That love would change quickly.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
vfl

I wrote this:

Dear Mr. Henry,

My name is vfl and I have been a die hard fan of the Predators since 2001. I cannot express in words how fortunate I feel to have had the priviledge of growing up watching the Predators and going to the arena to see the likes of Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, and Dominik Hasek play hockey. The one thing that all of these players had in common, besides illustrious careers, is that they played for the other team. As a kid, I just assumed that such players were too good to play for us. I always fantasized that one day a Jagr or Lemieux would suit up for the good guys, but deep down, I thought it would never happen. The Kariya and Forsberg signings finally brought that fantasy to fruition; however, I soon longed for more. I wanted a Derek Jeter, someone with world class talent whom we could call our own. While I now understand the nature of professional sports, I still expect to retain our home grown talent. I commend the organization for extending the contract of Pekka Rinne, and I understand the Suter situation, that Poile was all in last year and risked Suter, who never seemed like he wanted to play here, leaving for nothing. Notwithstanding the possibility of the utilization of leverage to engender a trade, two very distinct options present themselves with regard to the Shea Weber situation. We can either become the Kansas City Royals of the NHL, a quadruple A farm team for the Yankees and Red Sox, or we can demonstrate to the rest of the league that we are a legitimate franchise and will not be bullied by large market teams. I do realize that signing Weber would tie up an inordinate amount of monetary resources in one player; however, at this time, there are simply no other viable options on the market that would warrant the allocation of major funds. I would much rather have one Shea Weber than four draft picks and a host of mediocre players signed with the money saved by not matching the offer sheet. I implore you to do everything in your power to ensure that Shea Weber remains in gold for the forseeable future. Regardless of the outcome of this dilemma, I will always support the Predators. Thank You for your time.

Sincerely,

vfl

vfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

I didn't say I was abandoning the team but the casual fan will. Jeff Diamond was right when he said this team won't have many sell-outs in February and March when the team is clinging to 13th place. Also Trotz will go back to the Trap hockey we had as an Expansion Team. Look at our Defensive without Weber going into next season and tell me that's it's much better than our expansion year. It's laughable how bad it will be. Pekka is great but he's going to have to steal 20 games for this team to be anywhere near competive.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfl View Post
I wrote this:

Dear Mr. Henry,

My name is vfl and I have been a die hard fan of the Predators since 2001. I cannot express in words how fortunate I feel to have had the priviledge of growing up watching the Predators and going to the arena to see the likes of Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, and Dominik Hasek play hockey. The one thing that all of these players had in common, besides illustrious careers, is that they played for the other team. As a kid, I just assumed that such players were too good to play for us. I always fantasized that one day a Jagr or Lemieux would suit up for the good guys, but deep down, I thought it would never happen. The Kariya and Forsberg signings finally brought that fantasy to fruition; however, I soon longed for more. I wanted a Derek Jeter, someone with world class talent whom we could call our own. While I now understand the nature of professional sports, I still expect to retain our home grown talent. I commend the organization for extending the contract of Pekka Rinne, and I understand the Suter situation, that Poile was all in last year and risked Suter, who never seemed like he wanted to play here, leaving for nothing. Notwithstanding the possibility of the utilization of leverage to engender a trade, two very distinct options present themselves with regard to the Shea Weber situation. We can either become the Kansas City Royals of the NHL, a quadruple A farm team for the Yankees and Red Sox, or we can demonstrate to the rest of the league that we are a legitimate franchise and will not be bullied by large market teams. I do realize that signing Weber would tie up an inordinate amount of monetary resources in one player; however, at this time, there are simply no other viable options on the market that would warrant the allocation of major funds. I would much rather have one Shea Weber than four draft picks and a host of mediocre players signed with the money saved by not matching the offer sheet. I implore you to do everything in your power to ensure that Shea Weber remains in gold for the forseeable future. Regardless of the outcome of this dilemma, I will always support the Predators. Thank You for your time.

Sincerely,

vfl

That's an awesome letter. Poignant point that the legends you mentioned all played for the other team. Great letter.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I didn't say I was abandoning the team but the casual fan will. Jeff Diamond was right when he said this team won't have many sell-outs in February and March when the team is clinging to 13th place. Also Trotz will go back to the Trap hockey we had as an Expansion Team. Look at our Defensive without Weber going into next season and tell me that's it's much better than our expansion year. It's laughable how bad it will be. Pekka is great but he's going to have to steal 20 games for this team to be anywhere near competive.
So we have a bad season. I'm willing to give the men that have built and rebuilt this team in the wake of player departures some time before I start worrying about the fate of hockey in Nashville, providing they're still employed here at least. Honestly, I expect more from this fanbase than packing it in, however, from everything I've seen of them since becoming a fan. This isn't directed at you, just the notion of attendance in general drying up. That would be very disappointing to me...

Last edited by Iron Duke: 07-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
So we have a bad season. I'm willing to give the men that have built and rebuilt this team in the wake of player departures some time before I start worrying about the fate of hockey in Nashville, providing they're still employed here at least. Honestly, I expect more from this fanbase than packing it in, however, from everything I've seen of them since becoming a fan. This isn't directed at you, just the notion of attendance in general drying up. That would be very disappointing to me...
Its kind of a culpability thing. Can you think of another instance where an offseason went so badly? By all accounts the owners were ready to spend to the cap, including Poile. They had everything to gain

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Its kind of a culpability thing. Can you think of another instance where an offseason went so badly? By all accounts the owners were ready to spend to the cap, including Poile. They had everything to gain
However this situation ends up, I don't feel like the owners/Poile were lying about their intentions. You can't fix a player who ultimately lets his wife make his career choices for him, and the front-loading of Weber's contract may just be beyond their financial means. One can argue that they mismanaged it all, and I'll understand, but I would wager if Weber now leaves, nobody will be more disappointed with the turn of the events than the owners and Poile will be. I will be interested to see what kind of budget the GM will have to work with, going forward, if we lose Weber though. That said, though I can appreciate the message attempting to be sent, I don't think the fanbase staying away is going to help the situation any. Lower revenue is just going to guarantee a lower payroll.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
La Vieille Garde
Rookie User

Cleveland tried this with Lebron James. I have a feeling it will have the same success rate with Weber.

La Vieille Garde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

while the passion of this idea is well meant, its not like the owners dont know whats at stake here.

IMO, they will match if its financially feasible, and if it isnt, they wont, even if they have 20,000 passionate, personal emails begging them to do so...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote