HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Jim Diamond article

Silence from Predators regarding Shea Weber is speaking volumes

http://www.examiner.com/article/sile...eaking-volumes
Disagree with the article. What are the Preds going to say that doesn't tip their hands, or sound like sour grapes? And regardless of what is going on, or went on, behind the scenes, nothing that the Predators can say is going to trump the fact that Shea Weber left. Besides, Bousquet is an ass, and hardly a model for how either side should be handling the situation. If the Preds end up matching, he has put his client in a difficult situation with some of the things he's been saying.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
How money will they lose if they get useless spare parts back from Philadelphia and the team falls to the bottom of the standings with no hope of playoff gate revenue to offset some of the losses?
The money due to Weber in the first year is roughly the team's net from gate receipts. The money due to Weber and Rinne over the next 50 weeks is nearly the gross of gate receipts if the team averages 16.8k sold per game at $50 each. Playoff games bring in roughly $1million gross per early round game.

This is a financial decision only at this point. If the team can keep Weber within this structure, they'll do it. If the structure is either too costly up front or if the risk isn't deemed within acceptable levels, the only choice is to let him go.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
It seems like they still can. The Kovy rule wasn't a rule until the contract was submitted to the League. Who's to say that there can't be a Weber rule created? Seems like it would make more sense for the League to create it at the offer sheet stage, so we don't have to figure out where to find all this cash only to have the contract voided.

Is there really any other contract in the league that's like this offer sheet? I can't think of any contract that's as ridiculously loaded with bonuses as this one, especially in the first two contract years/one calendar year. I know there have been some really front-loaded contracts out there, but none like this.

Suter and Parise got $10M bonuses with $2M salaries in the first two years, a $5M bonus with $6M salary in the third year and everything after that is real salary. Shea has a $13M bonus with $1M salary for FOUR years, then $8M bonus with $4M salary the next two years before we get to years that are just real salary. Shea's contract is obviously more ridiculous, and it came in the form of an offer sheet from a big market team to a small one...seems much more predatory to me.

This. It's really gonna suck if/when the new CBA creates new rules that "fix" these types of contracts, but in the meantime we have to lose our best two players over contracts that probably won't be allowed a year from now.
Do you really think the players are going to allow that much of a change to contract length etc? I highly doubt the PA ok's a change like that.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I disagree. The Nashville Predators and Shea Weber have been the number #1 topic in Hockey since last Thursday. Just look at all the boards concerning them. It is bringing buzz to the Predators which if they end up signing Weber could be good. On the other hand i commend them for thinking everyting through and hopefully looking at ALL avenues and options.
Disagree, they are in the discussion for all the wrong reasons.

And in all honesty, the response after keeping weber should be "what's next". There is a lot of work to be done for a team that "will spend to the cap". If you just keep RFAs and promote young guys, IMO, that's not enough.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Do you really think the players are going to allow that much of a change to contract length etc? I highly doubt the PA ok's a change like that.
I do think there will be some limit set up on length.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Unstable

I don't think Poile is the sort of person to keep us all waiting out of spite. I think they're working furiously, either on the financing to match, a trade, and/or PR to handle losing Weber.

I don't think the silence means anything.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I do think there will be some limit set up on length.
Oh possibly but it certainly won't be what has been listed already I figure it will be 10 to 12 year terms max not 5 like some are speculating/hoping for.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:54 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I don't think Poile is the sort of person to keep us all waiting out of spite. I think they're working furiously, either on the financing to match, a trade, and/or PR to handle losing Weber.

Weber can't be traded with an offersheet signed.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Weber can't be traded with an offersheet signed.
A trade with Philadelphia to immediately follow the consummation of his contract with the Flyers.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
PFL615

Quote:

And in all honesty, the response after keeping weber should be "what's next". There is a lot of work to be done for a team that "will spend to the cap". If you just keep RFAs and promote young guys, IMO, that's not enough.
It's all how you take it. No one is happy in Nashville about what is going on. However it is not very ofter hockey is the hot topic in Nashville in July and is unheard of for the NHL beatwriters from all over the world talking abut the Predators.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:59 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Oh possibly but it certainly won't be what has been listed already I figure it will be 10 to 12 year terms max not 5 like some are speculating/hoping for.
I'm thinking 7 myself.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:08 PM
cleangene

Quote:

Exactly. This "action" from last summer is probably why we are looking at the dark clouds of this summer (although I agree 1,000 percent that Shea's new agent has played a HUGE role in our misery). The moves made at the trade deadline have just left holes again with any type of offensive threats, and there's not even a hint about the Preds being considered for anything new. To make matters worse for GMDP, when the fun of this drama is over at least by Wednesday, he must prepare for SK's arbitration next week.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Yeah, the longer this drags out the more I expect Nashville to match, which is really what I want because I'm a Preds fan too and this move is a joke since Ed Snider [Flyers owner] is notoriously cheap in CBA negotiations yet tells or lets Holmgren do this. The question is, does Nashville have $13M on hand?

These types of contracts should have never been permitted in the first place. Bonus money should NEVER be near actual salary. In this case it nears even!

I have tomorrow off worm, I may write a nice email to Cogan and Henry explaining where I stand and also try to email someone in contact with Gary Bettman to let him know how this contract is complete BS!!

Old
07-22-2012, 10:14 PM
gordie

Quote:

A week for PR????

Old
07-22-2012, 10:15 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
That remains to be seen!!!
Right now, no you're not.

Now in the future, I think MN can be a very good team.

That said, I hope MN and Liarpold go down in flames.

I am currently making a nice shirt or Suter and Liarpold when they return to Nashville in December

Old
07-22-2012, 10:16 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
A week for PR????
After losing Suter AND Weber in the same month?! Absolutely.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

I hope ally nashville peeps are currently canceling their Comcast cable.

I live here in st Louis so I have charter instead.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:24 PM
bauer

Quote:

agree. they're not just sitting there waiting out the 7 days for no reason. they are a)desperately trying to get the money to match, b)working out a deal with Philly after they don't match or c)working on damage control/PR for when they don't match.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
These types of contracts should have never been permitted in the first place. Bonus money should NEVER be near actual salary. In this case it nears even!

I have tomorrow off worm, I may write a nice email to Cogan and Henry explaining where I stand and also try to email someone in contact with Gary Bettman to let him know how this contract is complete BS!!
In this case bonus money is more than paragraph one salary over the course of the contract. 68mil of 110mil total is "bonus" money. The concept of "signing bonuses" going beyond year one is preposterous. The player doesn't sign in year two through six. Unfortunately that is permissible under the current CBA.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
agree. they're not just sitting there waiting out the 7 days for no reason. they are a)desperately trying to get the money to match, b)working out a deal with Philly after they don't match or c)working on damage control/PR for when they don't match.
Damage control / PR is a better way of putting it. For instance, they could be lining up a trade with some other team, or a FA contract (or two) to be announced at the same time. Which is totally a PR move, to give fans and pundits something positive to talk about.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I hope ally nashville peeps are currently canceling their Comcast cable.

I live here in st Louis so I have charter instead.
you should cancel Comcast because you don't like it, it has nothing to do with the operation of the Flyers, besides Comcast enjoying money generated by its subsidiary.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
ninetynine*

Weber will make more than a quarter of this [every last bill, not just on couch] on or before July 1st 2013 from this contract, season or not:

This is what $100M looks like.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:07 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
In this case bonus money is more than paragraph one salary over the course of the contract. 68mil of 110mil total is "bonus" money. The concept of "signing bonuses" going beyond year one is preposterous. The player doesn't sign in year two through six. Unfortunately that is permissible under the current CBA.
I though that bonus money was at $52 million and the salary was at $58 million.

Doesn't really matter, it's ludicrous.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/sile...eaking-volumes

It is time for Poile to lift the cone of silence by matching the offer sheet and keeping his captain.
The Flyers offer sheet, for all its complexity, is a simple wager that Nashville's management is unwilling to gamble 26,000,000 uninsured United States Dollars next season. It's an attempt to take the decision out of the GM's hands.

So, if the Flyers bet correctly, then they're likely uninterested in trade discussions. And, if the situation is truly out of Poile's hands - what is there to say this week, exactly?

"Sorry, guys. The current NHL CBA makes financially responsible organizations bid against Comcast to keep their players."

Old
07-23-2012, 08:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I though that bonus money was at $52 million and the salary was at $58 million.

Doesn't really matter, it's ludicrous.
It's $52mil in bonuses across the first four years, with an additional $4mil in paragraph one salary in that time frame, with another $16mil in bonuses across years five and six with $8mil of insurable salary those years .... $68million in "signing bonus". 92% of the money for the first four years is uninsurable bonus money, 61.8% of the overall money. I can't think of a single contract where the "bonus" is over half of the total compensation.

Closed Thread