Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Dealing Krejci on July 22nd leaves you with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Kelly-Horton(?)
Peverley-Campbell-Caron
Bourque/Paille-Hanson-Thornton
...and zero depth.

In short, you don't deal Krejci until you have a good #2 center lined up. Kelly is a #3, Seguin hasn't proven jack at center, and anyone who writes about adding Semin to this top-six has mastered the art of satire.

Yandle isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Krejci isn't shooting his way out. There's no reason to move on this right now, let it sit and see what Seguin shows at center.
That lineup is a disaster.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Rookie Chargers

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If you're under the impression that "Bruins-types" means bangers and grinders, you couldn't be more wrong. There is room on the Bruins for players ranging in style from Tyler Seguin to Milan Lucic to Andrew Ference to Zdeno Chara. Those are four extraordinarily different types of hockey players. What they DO have in common is a commitment to hard work; intelligent, three-zone play; and doing what's best for the team. THAT is a "Bruins-type," not laziness, selfishness and headline-grabbing.
Nobody wants to debate what is a bruin-type player.

What I think some of us know is that Lucic can't finish like Neely and we know a player like Semin can't bang like Neely or Lucic.

Let there be no mistake that we know he can't punch like Lucic.

Last edited by Rookie Chargers: 07-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Point is, you don't start the year with a question mark at 2C.

Seguin simply wasn't up to it last year, why should he be counted on this year? He'll get his chances, even with Bergeron and Krejci around. Break him in slowly, though.

Peverley's best year in Atlanta was on pace with Krejci's worst in Boston. I like him but is east-west offensive game is risky and risky forwards don't play center in Boston.

My philosophy is that you go into the year with surplus because **** happens. The exception to this rule is when you're getting a guaranteed franchise player like Weber or Parise. Yandle's nice, but so is Krejci. All things equal (are they?) depth is the kicker. Without a strong 2C, Boston's "roll four" strategy breaks apart.
Peverley had a 55 point season in Atlanta. And 35 points in 39 games in another season. Krejci's worst was 27 points (on pace for 39) and his last two have been 62. They're certainly not equals, but I wouldn't consider Peverley a question mark.

I also don't agree that Seguin wasn't "up to it" last year. I thought he looked good in his games at center when Krejci was injured, I thought he looked good at center when Bergeron wasn't able to take draws down the stretch. I thought he got better defensively all year long and in the playoffs. I'd have no problem with Seguin playing center next year.

I don't have a problem with the "surplus" theory. In fact, I'd like to see them further strengthen their surplus by signing a few more guys. However, I wonder if it's wise to run a surplus in one area (center) when you have a shortage in another (power play). I get why folks would debate this deal, but if I made it, it would be because I believe Seguin could handle second center and that Yandle would be a better 5on4 player for us, than Krejci.

07-22-2012, 09:04 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
If you're under the impression that "Bruins-types" means bangers and grinders, you couldn't be more wrong. There is room on the Bruins for players ranging in style from Tyler Seguin to Milan Lucic to Andrew Ference to Zdeno Chara. Those are four extraordinarily different types of hockey players. What they DO have in common is a commitment to hard work; intelligent, three-zone play; and doing what's best for the team. THAT is a "Bruins-type," not laziness, selfishness and headline-grabbing.
The whole notion of the Big Bad Bruins v2.011 is a disservice to what the championship team was. Seguin is the most gifted scorer I've ever had the pleasure of watching in Boston. Yes, Neely had his years and was incredible but he needed his brawn to be what he was. Not a knock on him but Seguin has the hands to hit 50 goals using just his speed, shot, and hands. Add brawn and we're talking a force of nature.

Everyone saw the championship team their own way, but they don't win without the enormous game from their "soft as charmin" rookie, the contributions from their flu-ridden towering Norris winner, their resident enforcer's refusal to let his mates be pushed around, or their nutty amateur political theorist.

Teams full of 20 Milan Lucices, Tyler Seguins, Shawn Thorntons, and Zdeno Charas don't win anything*: it's why they call it a team.

*teams of 20 Bergerons would be competitive, but good luck finding more than two or three in the NHL at any given time.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:17 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Peverley had a 55 point season in Atlanta. And 35 points in 39 games in another season. Krejci's worst was 27 points (on pace for 39) and his last two have been 62. They're certainly not equals, but I wouldn't consider Peverley a question mark.
Bill, you're not being fair and I think you know it. When Krejci hit 27, he was 22 years old. Since then, he's averaged 62 per year. Rich Peverley, in his 7.5 NHL years, has never surpassed 55. The kicker is that he's shown himself to be injury-prone: to the point that he played 60 games or more just once in his career. Not knocking him, but he's just not the 2C answer.

Seguin: he's shown flashes and ultimately, yes - I think he gets there. But again, what's the rush? Is Yandle going somewhere this week? Can't they see how he starts and then make this deal in November?

Old
07-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Point is, you don't start the year with a question mark at 2C.

Seguin simply wasn't up to it last year, why should he be counted on this year? He'll get his chances, even with Bergeron and Krejci around. Break him in slowly, though.

Peverley's best year in Atlanta was on pace with Krejci's worst in Boston. I like him but is east-west offensive game is risky and risky forwards don't play center in Boston.

My philosophy is that you go into the year with surplus because **** happens. The exception to this rule is when you're getting a guaranteed franchise player like Weber or Parise. Yandle's nice, but so is Krejci. All things equal (are they?) depth is the kicker. Without a strong 2C, Boston's "roll four" strategy breaks apart.
I think you went about it disingenuously though.

I could just as easily posted:

Marchand - Bergeron - Horton
Lucic - Seguin - Peverley
Knight - Kelly - Caron
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Bourque/MacDermid/Spooner/Sauve

Plenty of depth. Three strong down the middle. Our leading scorer on the second line. A third that's inexperienced on the wing, but balls if they're not tenacious (and Caron plays a sound three-zone game). A fourth line that stays entirely intact. No third liners on the second line (and no fourth on the third) and no need for Christian Hanson anywhere than in Providence. On top of that, our defense improves SUBSTANTIALLY.

Chara - Seidenberg
Yandle - Boychuk
Ference - McQuaid
Hamilton/Krug/Johnson/Exelby

Now, that's not to say I'm all on-board for a Krejci/Yandle swap. I'm sure you and I have similar reservations. I don't see it as the disaster you were presenting though and I don't think that's a fair argument.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:34 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I think you went about it disingenuously though.

I could just as easily posted:

Marchand - Bergeron - Horton
Lucic - Seguin - Peverley
Knight - Kelly - Caron
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Bourque/MacDermid/Spooner/Sauve

Plenty of depth. Three strong down the middle. Our leading scorer on the second line. A third that's inexperienced on the wing, but balls if they're not tenacious (and Caron plays a sound three-zone game). A fourth line that stays entirely intact. No third liners on the second line (and no fourth on the third) and no need for Christian Hanson anywhere than in Providence. On top of that, our defense improves SUBSTANTIALLY.

Chara - Seidenberg
Yandle - Boychuk
Ference - McQuaid
Hamilton/Krug/Johnson/Exelby

Now, that's not to say I'm all on-board for a Krejci/Yandle swap. I'm sure you and I have similar reservations. I don't see it as the disaster you were presenting though and I don't think that's a fair argument.
It wasn't disingenuous, I don't see Seguin as being ready to take faceoffs or act as the third defenseman in his own end not yet, anyway.

And I don't see Knight as an NHLer yet. It's nice and well that he's Boston's top forward prospect but the fact is, he scored 52 points in 52 games last year. By comparison, Seguin hit 106 points (48 goals) in 63 OHL games in his draft year and Marchand was a PPG+ player for his last 4 seasons in the Q. Both had kind of a rocky Road between juniors and NHL success (Seguin, obviously less so but he's working with more tools than either one).

Knight plays the game the right way but it would shock me if he's on the NHL roster on opening night. The B's have had a ton of success with well-rounded second-round picks but Jared Knight is Jared Knight, not Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, or Marchand. Penciling him in the top 9 on opening night is overly ambitious. To me, Bourque is more a lock for the NHL this year than Knight.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Funny...I couldn't think of many less Bruin-type players than Tyler Seguin. Somehow he is doing just fine.

Total nonsense.
Tyler Seguin is lazy, selfish and stupid?

As I said, "Bruins-type" is a definition that covers a multitude of talents, from Seguin to Lucic to Ference to Chara to Thornton to Paille. What those players have in common - what Chiarelli and Julien have emphasized, assembled and molded - are work ethic (exemplified by their captain), unselfishness, putting team success ahead of personal gain, being intelligent on the ice, and no small amount of talent, be it sniping or checking or PKing or throwing punches.

You appear to be buying into the stereotype of the "Bruins-type" as meaning a no-talent grinder, which is frankly something I'd expect from a Habs fan, not a Bruins fan.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Jagged Ice

Wild fan here with an off topic question. When you guys signed Blake Wheeler as an unrestricted free agent from Phoenix did you have to offer any compensation to Phoenix? Thx.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Bill, you're not being fair and I think you know it. When Krejci hit 27, he was 22 years old. Since then, he's averaged 62 per year. Rich Peverley, in his 7.5 NHL years, has never surpassed 55. The kicker is that he's shown himself to be injury-prone: to the point that he played 60 games or more just once in his career. Not knocking him, but he's just not the 2C answer.

Seguin: he's shown flashes and ultimately, yes - I think he gets there. But again, what's the rush? Is Yandle going somewhere this week? Can't they see how he starts and then make this deal in November?
I'm not trying to suggest Peverley is as good as Krejci, (I said flat out that Krejci is obviously better), I was just refuting your claim that "Peverley's best year in Atlanta was on pace with Krejci's worst in Boston."

Since Peverley's first full season in the league, only 56 centers have put up Peverley's .58 pts per game or better. And even with his injuries Peverley is 35th on that list in points, next to guys like Saku Koivu, Laich, Grabovski, Connolly, Filppula, Zajac...

All that said, maybe I am being a little unfair. Peverley isn't who I'd want as my #2 center if I were trying to go for the Cup this year. By that (high) standard, Seguin is questionable too. The risk would have to justify the rewards, and in this case they'd have to measure how close they think Seguin is to handling 2nd line duties duties and how much they'd gain by adding a so-called power play weapon versus the risk of moving a proven successful player like Krejci.

As far as rushing things... I don't agree that moving Seguin to center in his 3rd year is "rushing" him. Not when guys like Couturier, Duchene and RNH are delivering as rookies, or when a rookie like Henrique can center a Cup finalist.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem keeping Krejci either. I think he's a terrific player and the best is yet to come. I just want think they need to fix the PP and I want to see Seguin in the middle long-term as well. If they can do that and keep Krejci, I'm all for it.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Wild fan here with an off topic question. When you guys signed Blake Wheeler as an unrestricted free agent from Phoenix did you have to offer any compensation to Phoenix? Thx.
No. It's explained a bit earlier in the thread that Phoenix was awarded the 35th pick in the draft, but that was from the NHL, not from Boston.

The Oilers signed Justin Schultz this spring, even though he was drafted by Anaheim in 2008. He did the same as Wheeler - didn't sign, went to college for three years, and consequently became a UFA.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Jagged Ice

Quote:
No. It's explained a bit earlier in the thread that Phoenix was awarded the 35th pick in the draft, but that was from the NHL, not from Boston.

The Oilers signed Justin Schultz this spring, even though he was drafted by Anaheim in 2008. He did the same as Wheeler - didn't sign, went to college for three years, and consequently became a UFA.
That's what I thought. Thank you and good luck to your team.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I'm not trying to suggest Peverley is as good as Krejci, (I said flat out that Krejci is obviously better), I was just refuting your claim that "Peverley's best year in Atlanta was on pace with Krejci's worst in Boston."

Since Peverley's first full season in the league, only 56 centers have put up Peverley's .58 pts per game or better. And even with his injuries Peverley is 35th on that list in points, next to guys like Saku Koivu, Laich, Grabovski, Connolly, Filppula, Zajac...

All that said, maybe I am being a little unfair. Peverley isn't who I'd want as my #2 center if I were trying to go for the Cup this year. By that (high) standard, Seguin is questionable too. The risk would have to justify the rewards, and in this case they'd have to measure how close they think Seguin is to handling 2nd line duties duties and how much they'd gain by adding a so-called power play weapon versus the risk of moving a proven successful player like Krejci.

As far as rushing things... I don't agree that moving Seguin to center in his 3rd year is "rushing" him. Not when guys like Couturier, Duchene and RNH are delivering as rookies, or when a rookie like Henrique can center a Cup finalist.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem keeping Krejci either. I think he's a terrific player and the best is yet to come. I just want think they need to fix the PP and I want to see Seguin in the middle long-term as well. If they can do that and keep Krejci, I'm all for it.
But I think you`d agree Bill in the case of the three you mentioned in Duchene/RNH and Couturier, all much different situations, the first two part of a huge youth movement in both franchises and really, not much of a choice, and with Couturier, somewhat the same, showed he had what it took to be trusted but the Flyers weren`t really oozing options up the middle were they?

I`m a huge believer in patience, and I see happening more often this year will be what we saw glimpses of in the playoffs against the Caps, Krejci taking a draw, then Segs sliding into the middle.

I have little doubt that Chia/CJ have discussed what both would like/expect to see out of the kid, he made great strides last year, was more consistent without a doubt, but still had many stretches where he had struggles defensively without the puck, and although I hammer DK, his positioning without the puck is exceptionally strong, clearly more experienced but......

Segs will be, without a doubt, a centerman on this team, I just don`t see it happening full time this year, I don`t worry one bit about NTC`s/NMC`s not after having read Dom`s post about what they truly mean and how they aren`t anywhere near the restriction I believed them to be on an organization if they want to move someone.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I do agree that Peverley's ahead of Seguin on the centerman depth chart as things stand right now. Events can definitely happen over the season that will change that, and you can gague the probability of those events happening yourself.

Me I like Seguin's chances to surpass Peverley as a centerman candidate by Christmas. He just hasn't done it yet.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Oates2Neely

I've mentioned a few times in 'Krejci threads' that I'd like to see Seguin in spot duty at center between Lucic & Krejci. There's no risk there, if he struggles, Krejci moves from RW back to center. I'm a believer that Krejci could be a very good RW (if Seguin excels at center & surpasses Krejci).

As far as the PP, B's need a new PP coach perhaps? Maybe Ray Bourque can be hired as a PP consultant? I also think that as Seguin matures, he will eventually run the PP succesfully.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I do agree that Peverley's ahead of Seguin on the centerman depth chart as things stand right now. Events can definitely happen over the season that will change that, and you can gague the probability of those events happening yourself.

Me I like Seguin's chances to surpass Peverley as a centerman candidate by Christmas. He just hasn't done it yet.
I'm wondering what Seguin has to do (and what can be done by Christmas) to improve his viability as a center candidate...

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
I'm wondering what Seguin has to do (and what can be done by Christmas) to improve his viability as a center candidate...
play wing apparently

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
play in the AHL with Lucic

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
It's not like he has to be the center of his line to play all the roles a centerman plays. When he's satisfied Julien that he's got most of the skills down you'll see him taking more faceoffs and playing in the middle more.

Heck, both Bergeron and Krejci have as many strengths playing in the wing slots along the boards as they do up the middle, so either one he plays with he's going to rotate up to the center slot frequently anyway. And their line is going to be a better line because he can do that without playing out of position.

What I'm saying is that this doesn't have to be an arbitrary decision with a cutoff point, bang, you're a center where you weren't 15 minutes ago. It *can* happen organically. ANd I think an organic transition to center is what PC&CJ have in mind.

It's not so much what he has to do as what he has to prove he can do.

He needs to improve at the dot, be a little more confident protecting the puck, show a bit of toughness, the standards aren't all THAT high. Seguin just hasn't quite met them yet IMHO.

Last edited by Dojji*: 07-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
play in the AHL with Lucic
Simplest solution

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
jmeehan1985

Can't we get Yandle without giving up Krejci. Look what NY gave for Nash.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
norwegianbruinsfan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeehan1985 View Post
Can't we get Yandle without giving up Krejci. Look what NY gave for Nash.
Scott Howson is not the GM in Phoenix. So, I don't think so.

norwegianbruinsfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:51 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Tyler Seguin is lazy, selfish and stupid?

As I said, "Bruins-type" is a definition that covers a multitude of talents, from Seguin to Lucic to Ference to Chara to Thornton to Paille. What those players have in common - what Chiarelli and Julien have emphasized, assembled and molded - are work ethic (exemplified by their captain), unselfishness, putting team success ahead of personal gain, being intelligent on the ice, and no small amount of talent, be it sniping or checking or PKing or throwing punches.

You appear to be buying into the stereotype of the "Bruins-type" as meaning a no-talent grinder, which is frankly something I'd expect from a Habs fan, not a Bruins fan.
Can't even reason with you. Not worth the effort to push the keys.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Can't even reason with you. Not worth the effort to push the keys.
Apparently not, because if that ISN'T what you're saying, your writing is decidedly unclear. Saying Seguin isn't a "Bruins-type" player makes zero sense, unless you believe a "Bruins-type" player has little skill, or has to fight, or some other stereotype.

Last edited by Artemis: 07-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
This post is fantastic.

Has he played RW his whole career or did he play some games at center?

Was he "great" at center or did he suck at faceoffs? (And, by the way, everything else on the defensive side of the position).

I think he'll get his chance at center this year, but only because Chiarelli an Claude have quiet hesitations about Krejci's speed/fight and Bergeron's concussions. If he doesn't miss a beat, then that is when you have a decision to make - not now.
Would you like a knife to split those hairs? Out of ~150 NHL season games, he's played 2 or 3 games at center. That's enough to change the entire meaning of a career? Never said he sucked at faceoffs. Said he wasn't great.

The thread has "Speculation" as the topic. Speculating a trade involving Krejci of course, but the result of that trade would put Seguin in a position to be the 1st/2nd line C, that's a given. Why am I not allowed to speculate how I think he would perform as a center? Like I said, how can he prove himself at C without playing there?

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote