HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your "let Shea go" package?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
  #1
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 500
What is your "let Shea go" package?

If the teams agree, the Preds can agree not to match and trade of one or more of the first round picks (or other assets) back to Philly in exchange for players and prospects. It assumes we have the ability to match and demonstrate that clearly to Philly, otherwise they have no incentive to consider such trades.

The question is simple: As a Preds fan, what trade would make you happily say bye to Shea, if any?

What this isn't intended to be: it isn't an invitation to have other fans tell us these packages will never happen, it isn't a re-hash of all the issues in the main Weber thread, it isn't a debate about Poile, it isn't a discussion of our team's finances.

I've seen bits and pieces of this discussion elsewhere and it's interesting but buried in a lot of other..... stuff.


As for me:

Couturier and 2 of the picks

or, more reluctantly

Schenn, Schenn and 2 of the picks.

I've seen talk of Meszaros in the mix and, contrary to maybe most here, I'd add him in lieu of one of the picks in either trade.

I think Couturier is the one asset that could make this Weber situation salable to the fans. I believe he is a bona fide star forward in the making. I'd actually be affirmatively happy with taking that risk.

I'd also be willing to consider adding assets like Wilson to a trade but tried to keep it simple.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
  #2
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
The Flyers traded a 2nd round pick to obtain Mezsaros. He had back surgery late last year. I don't think he's worth a 1st round pick. You'd have to add a player like Matt Read to get 1st round value, but then Mez + Read is probably better than 1st value.

Voracek would be worth a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick.

Couturier would be worth a 1st, probably 2 1sts.

Brayden Schenn would be the same as Couturier.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
  #3
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
whatever pisses off/does the most damage to Philly.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
  #4
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
If DP says were gonna match or you trade us something.

You have to either A) call his bluff and risk not gaining weber or B) make a deal.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:43 PM
  #5
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
If DP says were gonna match or you trade us something.

You have to either A) call his bluff and risk not gaining weber or B) make a deal.
Didn't Poile already say the Preds would match any offersheet. The bluff has been called already.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:47 PM
  #6
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
If I'm Philly I call DP's bluff.

Personally, i'd be happy with just about anything other than 4 1sts, which won't pay dividends for a half a decade, if not more.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
  #7
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Didn't Poile already say the Preds would match any offersheet. The bluff has been called already.
You're right.

Time to figure out if DP has pocket aces or something else.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:05 PM
  #8
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Is it ok for Preds fans to come in and say this probably isn't going to happen? I don't see any incentive for the Flyers to trade for those 1sts back, the players being talked about being traded to the Preds have more value than the picks do, IMO. If we're lucky, we might get a Meszaros, or something like that, which I'm not sure is even worth trading the picks back for anyway.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:08 PM
  #9
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
I would be happy with Couts and Simmonds for 3 picks. Then take the last pick and package it for bobby ryan. Ultimate dream but i would be ok with it if of coarse they fire Poile in the process.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:15 PM
  #10
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Edit: Sorry. Shouldn't have said anything. Go on.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
  #11
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
If we don't match, what motivation does Philly have to trade with us to get their picks back? I just don't see one for them. They either get Weber and can look anywhere in the league to move roster players if they want to clear cap space OR they keep their four picks.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:43 PM
  #12
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If we don't match, what motivation does Philly have to trade with us to get their picks back? I just don't see one for them. They either get Weber and can look anywhere in the league to move roster players if they want to clear cap space OR they keep their four picks.
I think there's something to be said about the trading history between the Flyers and Preds. While I understand this sounds completely hypocritical to be bringing this up at this time as a Flyers fan, there is a possibility that Holmgren would agree to trading some players back for the draft picks. The organization seems incredibly attached to Couturier, and I would agree that a Schenn+Schenn package would be more likely. In any case, it is possible I believe that Nashville could decide to make a gentleman's agreement to not match and have a trade in place.

This is all just speculation, but to me it would make sense even as a Flyers fan as we would likely need to shed some salary. Perhaps also semi mend a bridge we have just burned in the process. Mostly this is just me being hopeful, but in a worst case scenario for Nashville fans (Weber not staying), I think it would be beneficial for both teams...providing of course that the players being traded for the picks help rebuild Nashville.

I mean no disrespect with this speculation, and fully understand that referring to mend the bridge we just burned is a bit touchy at this time. I've always enjoyed watching the Preds, so this whole experience has been a bit bittersweet for me.


Last edited by decadentia: 07-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
  #13
ChesterCopperpot1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Well I held no ill will towards te Flyers organization up until this point. I kind of rooted for them because they did have Timmonen and Hartnell.

That said, that organization can go ******* themselves.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
  #14
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,983
vCash: 500
Couturier + the Schenns.

Or

Coburn + Meszaros + Vorcek's right's + a 1st.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  #15
ilikeblocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
4 first round picks and the absence of paying 60 million plus in un-insurable bonuses over the next few seasons .

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
  #16
S2D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If we don't match, what motivation does Philly have to trade with us to get their picks back? I just don't see one for them. They either get Weber and can look anywhere in the league to move roster players if they want to clear cap space OR they keep their four picks.
Despite the perception, Holmgren is not a complete ****** and is not out to just rip off the Preds. For something this lopsided, if Poile came to him, hat in hand, he would reciprocate.

The gagne deal with Tampa is a good example.

S2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  #17
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Not to have one.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:20 PM
  #18
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If we don't match, what motivation does Philly have to trade with us to get their picks back? I just don't see one for them. They either get Weber and can look anywhere in the league to move roster players if they want to clear cap space OR they keep their four picks.
My thought exactally Philly owes nothing to the Preds except 4 very late 1st's (which are useless IMO)

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:36 PM
  #19
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Maybe Couts would make me feel a little better.

But, I don't think Philly goes for this. I'm assuming, since we were allegedly working on shopping Weber prior to this offer sheet, that Philly wasn't willing to give up whatever we were asking for in a trade. So what motivation is there for them to trade us players to get their picks back? I don't trust Holmgren; what's to stop him from being like "Oh, just kidding" once we don't match and Weber is his?

I guess if Holmgren truly thinks Poile will match it puts a little more pressure on him...but do they really need Weber THAT badly? I know they need a replacement for Pronger and Timonen is getting old, but they're not in dire straits defensively like say, the Red Wings are.

I see this transaction, whenever we announce our intentions, to be very straight-up: either we match, or we don't and we take the picks.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:19 PM
  #20
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Schenns + Read

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:13 PM
  #21
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,542
vCash: 500
DP saying he would match any offer sheet

probably didn't account for the screw job bonus structure of this contract. It was pretty well calculated by those involved to figure the most upfront money $27MM in year one that would make this offer unmatchable by the Preds.

I don't see the Flyers trying to sweeten the pot on the 4 1st rd picks, what makes anyone speculate that they give a **** what others think?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:26 PM
  #22
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
If the teams agree, the Preds can agree not to match and trade of one or more of the first round picks (or other assets) back to Philly in exchange for players and prospects. It assumes we have the ability to match and demonstrate that clearly to Philly, otherwise they have no incentive to consider such trades.

The question is simple: As a Preds fan, what trade would make you happily say bye to Shea, if any?

What this isn't intended to be: it isn't an invitation to have other fans tell us these packages will never happen, it isn't a re-hash of all the issues in the main Weber thread, it isn't a debate about Poile, it isn't a discussion of our team's finances.

I've seen bits and pieces of this discussion elsewhere and it's interesting but buried in a lot of other..... stuff.


As for me:

Couturier and 2 of the picks

or, more reluctantly

Schenn, Schenn and 2 of the picks.


I've seen talk of Meszaros in the mix and, contrary to maybe most here, I'd add him in lieu of one of the picks in either trade.

I think Couturier is the one asset that could make this Weber situation salable to the fans. I believe he is a bona fide star forward in the making. I'd actually be affirmatively happy with taking that risk.

I'd also be willing to consider adding assets like Wilson to a trade but tried to keep it simple.
Neither is happening. Poile won't get a trade for any of those three here. Preds would be better off matching if at all possible.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
  #23
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Maybe Couts would make me feel a little better.

But, I don't think Philly goes for this. I'm assuming, since we were allegedly working on shopping Weber prior to this offer sheet, that Philly wasn't willing to give up whatever we were asking for in a trade. So what motivation is there for them to trade us players to get their picks back? I don't trust Holmgren; what's to stop him from being like "Oh, just kidding" once we don't match and Weber is his?

I guess if Holmgren truly thinks Poile will match it puts a little more pressure on him...but do they really need Weber THAT badly? I know they need a replacement for Pronger and Timonen is getting old, but they're not in dire straits defensively like say, the Red Wings are.

I see this transaction, whenever we announce our intentions, to be very straight-up: either we match, or we don't and we take the picks.
They need Weber to make them a serious contender.

Short term and long term, Weber would make the team better.

My guess on the trade would be Read, L. Schenn, 3 firsts, or replace one of the firsts with the rights to Voracek/Simmonds.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
  #24
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Neither is happening. Poile won't get a trade for any of those three here. Preds would be better off matching if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

What this isn't intended to be: it isn't an invitation to have other fans tell us these packages will never happen, it isn't a re-hash of all the issues in the main Weber thread, it isn't a debate about Poile, it isn't a discussion of our team's finances.

learn how to read or go back to the flyers board

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:45 AM
  #25
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
learn how to read or go back to the flyers board
I'm a Preds fan too brah, I just have common sense.

MATCH BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.