HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Much Will Kessel Make?

Old
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
-DeMo-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It would be in Leafs best interest if in the new CBA the they increased the years of service/age until UFA status and that would make Kessel a RFA and not an UFA at end of this contract.

Then an Offer Sheet would be the only way to lose his services, and it would not be free as it would be draft picks compensation worst case scenario.
not really if the NHL is able to get a later UFA years I believe they would have to give something to the players, if I'm the players I would look at gettin rid of the compensation for RFA's that way more teams would be interested in offersheets, like the NBA who do not give compensation.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
After this next season Kessel and formerly Sundin would be in the same situation for Leaf Nation..

Player has a NTC/NMC and an expiring contract.

The loss of an asset without compensation hurts an organization no matter who it is, and the better the player the greater the loss.
It is kind of neat how you seamlessly move from belittling Kessel as a hockey player to attempting to create a panic over him leaving for nothing.

He's either worth keeping or he isn't, right?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:26 PM
BlueBaron

Yeah some silliness here. There has never been any indication I am aware of Kess doesn't want to be here, so why the doom and gloom ?

That aside, this would probably be better as a poll. I'm going with 5 years at 6.5 mil.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It is kind of neat how you seamlessly move from belittling Kessel as a hockey player to attempting to create a panic over him leaving for nothing.

He's either worth keeping or he isn't, right?
I personally would trade Kessel before his NTC kicks in and/or the option to test UFA exists.

Knowing the GM only gives out 5-6 years. Then why would Kessel lock in at 5-6 years at $7.5 mil when he can get a guaranteed contract for 2 X the term for the same rate elsewhere by testing the market? So it would be logical for him to decide that a 10 year $7.5 mil or $75 mil contract is better than 5 year @ $7.5 mil or $37.5 mil. If he gets injured on the short term contract then he loses a ton of future earnings, where a long term deal places the risk on the organization and not him since he it is guaranteed irregardless of injury.

Parise didn't want to necessarily leave NJ but the market dictating his future by his UFA status to improve his situation did.

Last edited by Mess: 07-22-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:51 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Parise didn't want to necessarily leave NJ but the market dictating his future by his UFA status to improve his situation did.
That's really impossible to know. Maybe he wanted to leave the entire time, maybe he didn't. Regardless, I think the Parise Situation was unique to the Parise Situation.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's really impossible to know. Maybe he wanted to leave the entire time, maybe he didn't. Regardless, I think the Parise Situation was unique to the Parise Situation.
Okay fine.. How about the Kessel situation as it pertains to Phil Kessel than..

The last time his contract ended he forced himself off of the team that drafted him, and he was very successful for, over $ money $ and he was only a RFA that time..

This time he has an opportunity to be a UFA and test the market, and reap the rewards.. So based on past history of his own actions he chose the money.. So a 10-12 year deal as a UFA verses a self imposed mandated 5-6 year max term to stay even if the rate $$ is ~ the same, then following the money is a serious concern. Its not that Toronto can't afford to pay him to stay, but rather the GM refuses to offer the contract that others will.

Anaheim sits with Burke's 5 year contracts ending for Getzlaf and Perry and they risk losing both as UFAs now for free. In their case fans are also hoping they hit the market as opposed to staying with their present teams. Is Kessel any different to them, only 1 more year later on the timeline to free agent status?.

Last edited by Mess: 07-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I personally would trade Kessel before his NTC kicks in and/or the option to test UFA exists.

Knowing the GM only gives out 5-6 years. Then why would Kessel lock in at 5-6 years at $7.5 mil when he can get a guaranteed contract for 2 X the term for the same rate elsewhere by testing the market? So it would be logical for him to decide that a 10 year $7.5 mil or $75 mil contract is better than 5 year @ $7.5 mil or $37.5 mil. If he gets injured on the short term contract then he loses a ton of future earnings, where a long term deal places the risk on the organization and not him since he it is guaranteed irregardless of injury.

Potential for injury is a reason that the league has to get rid of 10 year contracts, because if insurance companies have to pay out on them they will stop insuring them. No point in worrying about those deals until the new CBA is done.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:21 PM
hamzarocks

i'd say if he continues to play the way he played this year and scores 35+ goals and 80 plus point than he deserves atleast 6.5 mil i'd say between 6.5 and 7.4 mill{ only if he score 90 plus poits for more than 7.2 mill

hamzarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Potential for injury is a reason that the league has to get rid of 10 year contracts, because if insurance companies have to pay out on them they will stop insuring them. No point in worrying about those deals until the new CBA is done.
But the insurance payouts won't be based on cap hits.

Pretty much all of the 10 year contracts are very very heavily front loaded.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:15 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:

The last time his contract ended he forced himself off of the team that drafted him, and he was very successful for, over $ money $ and he was only a RFA that time..

This time he has an opportunity to be a UFA and test the market, and reap the rewards.. So based on past history of his own actions he chose the money.. So a 10-12 year deal as a UFA verses a self imposed mandated 5-6 year max term to stay even if the rate $$ is ~ the same, then following the money is a serious concern. Its not that Toronto can't afford to pay him to stay, but rather the GM refuses to offer the contract that others will.

Anaheim sits with Burke's 5 year contracts ending for Getzlaf and Perry and they risk losing both as UFAs now for free. In their case fans are also hoping they hit the market as opposed to staying with their present teams. Is Kessel any different to them, only 1 more year later on the timeline to free agent status?.
What fans are hoping for Getzlaf and Perry to hit the market? Leafs fans? Certainly. Ducks fans? Not so much.

What fans (aside from the ones who like to rehash the Kessel trade a billion times over) hope he hits the FA market?

If free agency age doesn't change, or it doesn't effect current contracts, I don't see us being able to sign him for any less than $7M a year. If Grabo was able to get $5.5M, a $6M offer to Kessel would be a slap in the face.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 07-22-2012 at 11:13 PM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:17 PM
diceman934

Quote:

Correct response.... The only thing we have is the players previous history...Like I stated earlier in the thread it will cost the Leafs a lot of money per year to sign Kessel with a 5 year deal.....over 8 million per. I say he walks and test the market and goes to the highest bidder.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:

I think you are forgetting something. The Bruins had signed Krejci for 5+ mill and were lowballing Kessel who had outscored him with 3+ mill!

If I was Kessel I'd want out too, Plus, Kessel wanted to come to the Leafs....Not Nashville.

Kessel has also stated he wants to finish his career with the Leafs. Was kessel a Leaf fan growing up?

Give the man anything he wants to stay with the Leafs.. it's only money that doesn't matter to anyone on these boards. Keep him at all costs, You can't replace Kessel without giving up the farm. Like him or hate him....He is an Elite talent that isn't available very often at his age!!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I think you are forgetting something. The Bruins had signed Krejci for 5+ mill and were lowballing Kessel who had outscored him with 3+ mill!

If I was Kessel I'd want out too, Plus, Kessel wanted to come to the Leafs....Not Nashville.

Kessel has also stated he wants to finish his career with the Leafs. Was kessel a Leaf fan growing up?

Give the man anything he wants to stay with the Leafs.. it's only money that doesn't matter to anyone on these boards. Keep him at all costs, You can't replace Kessel without giving up the farm. Like him or hate him....He is an Elite talent that isn't available very often at his age!!
IIRC, they had just signed Lucic for 5+ mill!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 3071
Quote:

You have your dates wrong , at that time Krejci signed a deal that avg under 4m for 3 years and PK was offered similar money . Also , Kessel wanted to go to whoever offered the most money , there was no special love for the Leafs .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Lucic makes 4mil , are you just pulling crap out of your ass .

Old
07-22-2012, 11:20 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
You have your dates wrong , at that time Krejci signed a deal that avg under 4m for 3 years and PK was offered similar money . Also , Kessel wanted to go to whoever offered the most money , there was no special love for the Leafs .

You can spin it how you like, But I remember Kessel only wanted to go to the Leafs..I followed it all along! And both Lucic and krejci were given more money that was offered to Kessel!!!! I remember being mind blown as to why they offered Kessel less than both those players as he was the Leading goal score for the B's!!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:24 PM
ALine

Quote:
On one hand, kessel has stated he likes Toronto and wants to play here. This is what we know. On the other hand, you say he wanted to go to who offered the most. Where did you hear this?

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Lucic makes 4mil , are you just pulling crap out of your ass .
So does it really matter...4, 5 mill, Kessel was NOT offered that kind of money from the B's. do you get what I'm saying?? He wasw offered in and around 3 mill! Thats why he wanted out!!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
You can spin it how you like, But I remember Kessel only wanted to go to the Leafs..I followed it all along! And both Lucic and krejci were given more money that was offered to Kessel!!!! I remember being mind blown as to why they offered Kessel less than both those players as he was the Leading goal score for the B's!!
What spin , you're making up crap . Neither Kecji or Lucic was paid over 5 mil like you were saying and PK was being offered similar money .

As for where he wanted to play , Burke offered a mil a season more than any other team and that was PK's only motivation to play here .

Old
07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Krecji is a center and they have more value/importance to teams than wingers, and Lucic is a power forward and again higher value.

Boston kept Krecji and Lucic and traded Kessel and won the Stanley Cup the very next season. Hard to criticize the GM with that much success when picking to keep only 2 of the 3.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:27 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

Quote:
The memory goes with age...

As mentioned, Krejci signed for 3.5, 3.75 and 4.

Lucic was on his ELC.

He was signed to a 3-year extension for 4, 4 and 4.25 about 3 weeks after Kessel was traded.

$5M? No...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
On one hand, kessel has stated he likes Toronto and wants to play here. This is what we know. On the other hand, you say he wanted to go to who offered the most. Where did you hear this?
You're mixing up your dates .

Old
07-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Old Timer is correct. Burke is not opposed to long term deals, just ones that try to get around the current CBA rules.I can see Kessel getting offered a 7 year deal for around $54 mil (or 8 yrs for more) at the end of the coming season, possibly during, if he continues to put up huge numbers. If Bozak is traded, does Phil wanna stay? He just seems like a sheltered type of person and a loyal friend, but at the same time I hope he is a true professional and realizes how much he means to the Leafs and them to him.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
So does it really matter...4, 5 mill, Kessel was NOT offered that kind of money from the B's. do you get what I'm saying?? He wasw offered in and around 3 mill! Thats why he wanted out!!
Kessel was offered high 3's not 3 which was similar to both Krecji and Lucic .

Old
07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Leafs24Seven*

And had they somehow kept Phil, i still say they would of won 2 cups in a row, possibly three. Talent like Kessel does not grow on trees and Boston had a tough time scoring that first year w/o #81

Quote:
Boston kept Krecji and Lucic and traded Kessel and won the Stanley Cup the very next season. Hard to criticize the GM with that much success when picking to keep only 2 of the 3.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote