HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Free Agency Thread 7 (Legit Sources ONLY) Shane Doan visiting Montreal (Post 400)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Niinimaa View Post
Gomez, Kaberile and Bourque to Hamilton. Two years and 15 millions to Semin. I know, it sucks, but that's what you got to do.
your ****ing kidding me right?

Old
07-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

this is the thread where you can't use any sources until its a signing or trade is confirmed by someone like darren dreger or bob mckenzie. Then a whole other thread is created for the move made. So the last week has been nothing but arguments cause we cant actually state a rumor that isn't by dreger (which he never reports rumors.)

Old
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Bergevin is not going to stick Gomez in the minors. He wants to instill a certain level of class to the organization. The options are loan, trade or buyout. A radical option is seeing if he shows any desire to play.
There is nothing classless about sending Gomez to Hamilton. It's not he would be demoted just because of his salary -- he's no longer good enough to be an effective player in the NHL.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
your ****ing kidding me right?
The hate for Kaberle and Bourque knows no bounds.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:46 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Ya, not going to happen though.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

As much as I hate Kaberle's defensive play, he is beyond average in offensive zone vision. His passes are right on and reads the play pretty well. I won't give up on him. The problem is that we had too much of that type on our team. As for Bourque, I hated everything about him last year and wouldve prefered to spend that 3m+ on Kostitsyn (even though those 2 stories are not really related) but how on earth is Bourque now an ahler. I would keep Bourque and Kaberle and send/loan Gomez. Free up 7m+ and give Semin 6m per for 3 years. I would do it for sure. I love Semin. We need pure scorers and he is one big guy (even if he doesn't play too big) and is right handed. He is still avg a little bit less than 1ppg in his career...not bad huh?

Old
07-22-2012, 11:02 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
There is nothing classless about sending Gomez to Hamilton. It's not he would be demoted just because of his salary -- he's no longer good enough to be an effective player in the NHL.
hum... I'm sorry but Gomez is good enough to be in the NHL. The problem is he is not worth his contract. Big difference.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
hum... I'm sorry but Gomez is good enough to be in the NHL. The problem is he is not worth his contract. Big difference.
How many goals did he score last season ? How many points did he have ? Quality over quantity. Hence, Gomez is worth peanuts.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
I don't agree. Gomez is not a particularly strong defensive player and he's certainly not out there to win fights. If he can't produce offensively he's useless.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:22 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'd loan Gomez and amnesty Kaberle. I think Bourque is a keeper.

But wouldn't sign Semin.
I would do the same if it was a possibility. Loaning a player however implies his agreement to begin with and Gomez would never agree unless he had the worst season start of his career. Tough to beat last season

Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Habs13

I'd rather waive Gomez, skip Semin and try hard to sign Doan. Oh Kaberle... yeah whatever! Like anybody wants him.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:28 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I'd rather waive Gomez, skip Semin and try hard to sign Doan. Oh Kaberle... yeah whatever! Like anybody wants him.
I'd pass on Doan, especially knowing what he's asking and the age he's at. I'd offer him 4.5 per not a penny more. typical player to get hyped and overpaid on the market ; the guy scored 30 goals only 2 times in his 16 years career ... 30 and 31 goals...not like he ever came close to 40, so the term sniper doesn't really apply here. He did that playing on every powerplay, top line minutes. He's an above average NHLer no doubt ... but he's not the player some here say he is. Probably one of the most overated player of his era.

I honestly don't understand that this guy is qualified as elite comming off a 50 pts season while a guy like desharnais gets bumped in every line projection on this board. let alone the ridiculous money he's asking and the fact that he behaves like a prostitute to drive the prices up. I bet 100$ Doan already knows where he's going to end up, he's just playing the game to really get the most $$$ out of it. '' such a great leader '' pfff .... going all sour when phoenix got eliminated ... too bad he didn't produce more ... he would have saved us some dumb quotes and childish excuses.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:49 AM
GoHomez

I don't get the love for Doan to be quite honest.
Sure, he is a solid player and a clear upgrade on the Habs roster, but to me, he is a horrible fit.

Let's do this re-tool/build/stock/whateveryouliketocallit once and for all.
Getting Cole last summer made some sense since Gauthier obviously thought the team was going in the right direction, bankin on getting Max back, hoping Gomez would rebound etc etc.

Now we have new management and hopefully a new philosophy.
Cut the dead wood and let the kids play!

Semin on the other hand...
I wouldn't mind testing him for a year or two if he is willing to sign here for 2 years max. If he pans out, great, if not, let him walk.
I doubt he sign here though, unless it is a serious commitment from the Habs and in that case I think we should pass.
I thinkk Markov and Emelin along with some other solid veteran could keep him in check if he truly is a problem in the locker room.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:48 AM
S Bah

I prefer the team stays on the right track and continues to bring players onto the team that has a clear history of being a team player,hard worker with leadership qualities and if they can score 20 or more goals a season while being that type of player,I'll be extremely happy.Not asking for miracles,that's me.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I don't agree. Gomez is not a particularly strong defensive player and he's certainly not out there to win fights. If he can't produce offensively he's useless.
My take on Gomez, he is a puck hog, with poor instincts. He will on several occasions a game, grab the puck in his own zone, skate & stick handle an end to end rush, only to swing wide to the boards as soon as cross' the offensive blue line, sometimes taking a shot from the boards or circle the net & either get pushed off of the puck or make a bad pass. Thus in all three scenarios, he general gives the puck before making a play to a team mate!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I don't get the love for Doan to be quite honest.
Sure, he is a solid player and a clear upgrade on the Habs roster, but to me, he is a horrible fit.

Let's do this re-tool/build/stock/whateveryouliketocallit once and for all.
Getting Cole last summer made some sense since Gauthier obviously thought the team was going in the right direction, bankin on getting Max back, hoping Gomez would rebound etc etc.

Now we have new management and hopefully a new philosophy.
Cut the dead wood and let the kids play!

Semin on the other hand...
I wouldn't mind testing him for a year or two if he is willing to sign here for 2 years max. If he pans out, great, if not, let him walk.
I doubt he sign here though, unless it is a serious commitment from the Habs and in that case I think we should pass.
I thinkk Markov and Emelin along with some other solid veteran could keep him in check if he truly is a problem in the locker room.
I'd take Doan on the team if he was 10 years younger. But at this point in his career, he'd be a great fit on a team that is close to the cup but that need offensive depth. The Habs could use a winger, sure, but I don't see the point of having him on the roster at this point. Let's not kid ourselves, the Habs won't contend for the cup next year, and they might not even contend for a playoff spot (although in my opinion we're a fringe playoff team).

We have tons of young guys coming up the ranks. Guys like Doan and Semin are looking for multi-year contracts. While you don't want to hand those roster spot on a silver platter to rookies, you also don't want to be stuck with bad contracts (we already have enough of those) when young guys could play. I do think Doan will be a good player next year, but I'm not he'll have much gas left in the tank beyond that. As for Semin, I just don't see him meshing with the team we have.

I'd much rather endure another year of struggles--and I'm not talking about tanking--than constantly look for short-term solutions. I think next season has the potential to be exciting if only because of call-ups and finally seeing what some of our prospects can do.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
MarkersMark*

We're gonna do what any logically run franchise would do. Stay the course and keep building through the draft. With the number of young guns we have coming through the system, we can't permit to keep a leper like Gomez around in Montreal or even Hamilton. Either we send him down to our ECHL affiliate or we offer to loan him to the Alaska Aces. Bergevin can then focus on building a trade market for guys like Markov, Kaberle, Gionta, Bourque, and maybe even Cole since most of those guys will be on a rapid decline by the time we intend to contend in 3 years.

We already have 4 picks in the first two rounds of a strong draft, and I'm fully expecting to add another 1st and 2nd rounder to that tally by June 2013.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 1050
Habs have 10 million in cap space (if you count gomez to AHL + Subban contract), no harm in going after guys like Semin or Doan on short term contracts to fill the hole on Plekanec's wing which has existed since Cammelleri started sucking.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quick question: why not sign Petr Sykora? Guy clearly can still play and score. He's about the same age as Doan, has similar career numbers, and will cost next to nothing in comparison. I think he'd be a perfect stop-gap winger on our second/third line for a year. Thoughts?

Old
07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
DAChampion

The problem with signing Semin or Doan (or Sykora) is that they elevate our team from being a lottery team to being a bubble team.

I would rather be a lottery team. We need to think long-term not short-term.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The problem with signing Semin or Doan (or Sykora) is that they elevate our team from being a lottery team to being a bubble team.

I would rather be a lottery team. We need to think long-term not short-term.

that the champion's attitude....

Old
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Correct. I am focused on winning championships not first round exits.

The real losers are the ones who worship the cult of 8th place. They don't have the balls to try and build a championship team, to do what it takes to win.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Mrb1p

A 2008-2010 Semin would put us above bubble team.

We'd have a pretty good offence if you think about it.

+ Plekanec has always done good with highly skilled player

Old
07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
So we should continue the Band-Aid approach that so defined the end of Gainey's reign and all of Gauthier's? the fact is we don't exactly what we have right now. Has Kaberle really gone down the crapper or can he rebound to a certain extent. What kind of player will Markov be? Can Bourque return to his 25 goal output? Can Gio stay healthy. Can Desharnais maintain his play from last season? Can Cole? How will the team respond to a new coaching and management staff?

We have so many questions from such an improbably bad season last year, why should we sign more players to contracts that can impede us in the future? Also, does anyone actually think Semin or Doan would sign here over actual cup contenders, especially if we're only offering 2-3 years?

I'm not encouraging tanking, but we can't make any signings or deals that don't have an eye to the future, cause we aren't going to be competing for the cup next year.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:33 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
A 2008-2010 Semin would put us above bubble team.

We'd have a pretty good offence if you think about it.

+ Plekanec has always done good with highly skilled player
In my view, a 12th-15th place team without Semin is a 7-9th place team with Semin. He is an elite sniper with great defensive skills... but the Habs need a lot more. That's the first argument against Semin.

The second argument against Semin is that there's no obvious way to sign Semin unless Gomez can be sent to the AHL, and we don't know if Molson supports that.

Closed Thread