HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Mitch Albom article on Yzerman

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
SGY19

vCash: 500
Mitch Albom article on Yzerman

Mitch Albom wrote a very nice article on Yzerman in the Free Press today. One thing I don't understand is that Albom kept saying how Yzerman has been with the team for 23 years and in the same building for 23 years. He then says how that is all coming to an end very soon. How is that coming to an end if Yzerman is going to take a management position with the team? I'm getting the impression that once he retires he won't be back at all with the Red Wings. It's not just from this article, but other articles and interviews too. The more articles I read and the more interviews I listen to it sounds more and more like Yzerman won't be taking a management position with the team. Is anyone else getting this impression? If Yzerman is so valuable to the team as everyone is saying then why would the Red Wings let him go? Why wouldn't they want to keep him around in some sort of management position?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...604210371/1053

Old
04-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Higgy4

The article is CLEARY talking about his playing career coming to an end. In the USA Today article I mentioned yesterday, they discussed his desire to become part of Red Wings management. Mike Illitch has said on more than one occassion that there will be a spot for Yzerman in the organization even after his playing career is over.

Now, please...go away.

Old
04-21-2006, 08:11 AM
doublejack

He's obviously going to take some time off after he retires before getting involved in the front office.

Old
04-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Higgy4

Yeah, that would make sense. I think he even mentions that in an article I read recently. He doesnt want to jump right into management while so many of his peers are still on the team. He wanted to wait for some turnover.

Old
04-21-2006, 08:39 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
The article is CLEARY talking about his playing career coming to an end. In the USA Today article I mentioned yesterday, they discussed his desire to become part of Red Wings management. Mike Illitch has said on more than one occassion that there will be a spot for Yzerman in the organization even after his playing career is over.

Now, please...go away.
The article is not clearly talking about Yzerman's playing days in Detroit coming to an end. If that's the case then why didn't Albom say that he's been playing in the same building for 23 years and it's soon coming to an end, instead of just saying he's been in the same building for 23 years and it's soon coming to an end. It sure sounds to me like he won't be back at all. It doesn't really matter anyways I just thought it would be nice if Yzerman stayed with the Red Wings in a management position. Ilitch gave former wings like Kocur, MacLean, etc. jobs, so I don't know why he wouldn't want to give Yzerman a job.

Old
04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
stu the grim reaper

i love how gordie howe materializes out of thin air

Old
04-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Therein lies your slogan for this playoff run