HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Steve Shutt -- could his number be retired?

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2006, 04:25 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
33? I'm not so sure you can put 33 before 23 and 29

By a mile. Patrick Roy, statistically, is the best goalie that ever was. His record (wins) proves it.

Ken Dryden did not have enough of a lenghty career to even compare to that of Roy.

The guy's an arse, but he was the best playoff goalie I saw. To put it in perspective, Roy reinvented the goalie position. The butterfly style, which was an anomaly before him (only a handful used it to a tee), became the norm. He's the guy that modeled a complete generation of goalies in this province and elswhere. Before 1986, being a goalie on a hockey team meant that you were the worse athlete of the team. He made being a goalie very trendy.

Dryden did none of that. Mind you, he was my idol when I was young (as a street goalie), but you've got to be either blind or too young to never consider the importance of Patrick Roy in the evolution of goalkeeping.

He became the first technically flawless goalie in the world.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
mcphee

D., I pretty well agree with you, but does the manner of Roy's exit get forgotten ? If it's up to me, I'm not big on grudges, but the organization ?

Old
04-22-2006, 04:22 AM
tinyzombies

Dude, Glenn Hall and Tony Esposito made the butterfly popular. Roy copied it from them. Everyone in the 80s did (I was a goalie and I did too). Coaches hated it and always told the goalies to stay on their feet....

And Shutt was more than just a garbage goal guy. He had a nasty slapper that was extremely accurate and was a very clever playmaker. He worked his tail off and was a leader in the lockerroom
. I think a bad back cut his career short, otherwise he would have put up the necessary numbers to have his number retired. Lafleur didn't make him, he was a star in his own right too. Of course, the goalies weren't nearly as good in the 70s-80s (with a very few exceptions) as they were in the 90s and 00s, but that doesn't take away his accuracy.

Old
04-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

so many legends have worn 22 that it wouldn't be fair to raise it just for Steve Shutt. That's just a slap in the face to the real immortals like Donald Audette, and obviously Bill Lindsay.

Old
04-22-2006, 09:45 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
By a mile. Patrick Roy, statistically, is the best goalie that ever was. His record (wins) proves it.

Ken Dryden did not have enough of a lenghty career to even compare to that of Roy.

The guy's an arse, but he was the best playoff goalie I saw. To put it in perspective, Roy reinvented the goalie position. The butterfly style, which was an anomaly before him (only a handful used it to a tee), became the norm. He's the guy that modeled a complete generation of goalies in this province and elswhere. Before 1986, being a goalie on a hockey team meant that you were the worse athlete of the team. He made being a goalie very trendy.

Dryden did none of that. Mind you, he was my idol when I was young (as a street goalie), but you've got to be either blind or too young to never consider the importance of Patrick Roy in the evolution of goalkeeping.

He became the first technically flawless goalie in the world.
Brodeur and Hasek are also great goalies. Should they be retired in Montreal too?
I don't care how good he is he didn't set most of his records/accompishments in Montreal.

Closed Thread