Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crow, or Humble Pie

Old
07-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Iowa Wild Fan

vCash: 500
Don't see A ever happening because people that troll never come back when they are made to be idiots. Don't think B happens either as I think we make the playoffs. So C none of the above.

Iowa Wild Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

It will be A.

I'm not expecting a cup this season, just getting into the playoffs and making some noise will be fine. In the next few years the Wild should go on a serious run as contenders, that's when the crow eating will start.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
It will be A.

I'm not expecting a cup this season, just getting into the playoffs and making some noise will be fine. In the next few years the Wild should go on a serious run as contenders, that's when the crow eating will start.
Aside from from the fact that it will take time for line chemistry to form, if we stay healthy, why shouldn't we be cup contenders this year?

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
Aside from from the fact that it will take time for line chemistry to form, if we stay healthy, why shouldn't we be cup contenders this year?
IMO it's just a matter of getting some of the young kids experience at the NHL level. We could really be a surprise team this year, but the Wild need to sort a few things out like the goaltending situation along with the PMB, Cullen, and Clutterbuck contracts. There still is the potential to see a lot of turnover this season. I really just think that there is more change coming and once it's sorted out the Wild will be able to make a deep playoff run.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Nsjohnson

On a serious note boys..

I don't want humble pit.

What I want is very simple.

It's what every MN sports fan has wanted since we almost went to the superbowl in 2010, and 1998. (years?)

Except, with hockey, which is dearer to me than any other sport, even the sport that I captained back in HS, lacrosse.

I was an 8th grader when the Wild went to the WCF's. I remember having parties at my house with all my friends and we watched us come back from TWO down 3-0 series. Miracles. I appreciated it, but when we lost against ANA it was sad, but not very sad.

Not sad like when the USA lost in OT against Canada at the last olympics. I teared up afterwards, almost straight cried when I read a very well written article by ESPN. We were so close. It meant so much, the odds were higher, and it was dramatic.

I want the playoffs, and I want some evidence of success in them. Next season we will not go to the Cup, but I certainly think we make the playoffs. And I would love to win a series.

Eventually, I want to know what it feels like win the Cup. I mean, the f**king Cup! The hardest trophy to get in sports. I want to cry in joy like when I hear people talk about Ray Bourque's victory lap, or Salanne in 2006.

I was too young to care about the Twins winning. And well...there's nothing else to really say in MN sports.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I don't want humble pit.

It's what every MN sports fan has wanted since we almost went to the superbowl in 2010, and 1998. (years?)

Except, with hockey, which is dearer to me than any other sport, even the sport that I captained back in HS, lacrosse.

I was an 8th grader when the Wild went to the WCF's. I remember having parties at my house with all my friends and we watched us come back from TWO down 3-0 series. Miracles. I appreciated it, but when we lost against ANA it was sad, but not very sad.

Not sad like when the USA lost in OT against Canada at the last olympics. I teared up afterwards, almost straight cried when I read a very well written article by ESPN. We were so close. It meant so much, the odds were higher, and it was dramatic.

I want the playoffs, and I want some evidence of success in them. Next season we will not go to the Cup, but I certainly think we make the playoffs. And I would love to win a series.

Eventually, I want to know what it feels like win the Cup. I mean, the f**king Cup! The hardest trophy to get in sports. I want to cry in joy like when I hear people talk about Ray Bourque's victory lap, or Salanne in 2006.

I was too young to care about the Twins winning. And well...there's nothing else to really say in MN sports.
Unless you count Gopher hockey in 2002, 2003, and 2013

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
They don't.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:46 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

If its B I'd be thrilled, because we'd be getting a stud in a dynamite draft..

But it's going to be A.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:42 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I just want people to learn from what happened last year. Even if the Wild start off hot.....even if Parise and company start lighting it up early and breaking records......there is A LOT of hockey to still be played. On paper, we should have a good shot at the playoffs. But hockey is played on the ice, and a lot of @#$! can happen between October and April. We can be optimistic, but guarded at the same time.

If we're first in the league again in December, don't go over to the Jersey board bragging. Because it can turn around in the blink of an eye. We have so many more tools this year to help out, but nothing is a guarantee.
Just because you fear failure and can't be optimistic doesn't mean we all have to. We're a deeper team this year, and injuries at that rate are not common anyway. I'm going to be guarded about nothing. Same as I treated free agency!

Being a fan as a realist, seeing the level the team should be at...and being an optimist about those expectations is much more fun than always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
B, for fox's sake.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Gophers who? That's more of a Twin City thing.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:37 AM
nickschultzfan

We'll make the playoffs.

But it will be interesting to see if the line-up fits together as well as it does on paper.

Concerned about a 2nd line of Granlund, Setoguchi, Bouchard, and/or Cullen. Will they be able to produce consistently? All 4 guys tend to disappear for long stretches.

Concerned about a 3rd line of Brodziak and Clutterbuck. They play two completely different styles and will probably negate the other's effectiveness.

Concerned about Suter and Spurgeon as a top pair. It actually could be brilliant, because Spurgeon can really move the puck, but I'd like to see if he can put in 40 points in this 3rd NHL season. Yeah, high standard, but if he can't, then we need to look at somebody else in that 1st pairing.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I'm sorry, but it's time to raise our expectations. This franchise has been way too OK with failure for way too long. We took a team that was in first place in the entire league in mid-December, added the undisputed top forward and D-man on the market, added our undisputed top prospect who is considered one of the two or three most talented players not yet in the NHL, and replaced our AHL "depth" scrubs with no fewer than six elite prospects. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, the firings should be swift and without prejudice. If this team is embarrassed out of the playoffs like in '07 and '08, there should still be jobs lost and humble apologies to the fans who have put up with this for far too long.

No more talking about how great we're going to be two years from now. We've been "great two years from now" for the last six years.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'm sorry, but it's time to raise our expectations. This franchise has been way too OK with failure for way too long. We took a team that was in first place in the entire league in mid-December, added the undisputed top forward and D-man on the market, added our undisputed top prospect who is considered one of the two or three most talented players not yet in the NHL, and replaced our AHL "depth" scrubs with no fewer than six elite prospects. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, the firings should be swift and without prejudice. If this team is embarrassed out of the playoffs like in '07 and '08, there should still be jobs lost and humble apologies to the fans who have put up with this for far too long.

No more talking about how great we're going to be two years from now. We've been "great two years from now" for the last six years.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

There is a difference between being confident and cocky(overconfident). With the team we have on paper i think we have the right to be confident that we can make a deep run in the playoffs. Cockiness on the other hand, no body likes it. It's annoying and makes you look foolish. A cocky ignorant fan would say, "Wow, Parise and Suter, there is no way we aren't going to dominate the NHL and win the cup." A confident fan would look at the team we have on paper and say, "Wow, we actually have a respectable roster this year, as well as plenty of depth in the AHL ready to step up in case of injuries. We have a great chance to make a deep run in the playoffs, but i know that it's a long season and anything can happen." The confident fan respects the process.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I'm fearing it might be closer to B but hoping for A

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:24 AM
nickschultzfan

Expectations are raised. If we don't make the playoffs, that will be a major disappointment.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
I'm fearing it might be closer to B but hoping for A
No offense to you, but that is THE typical Minnesota sports fan response...."Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Let me ask you, why are you "fearing it might be closer to B"?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
No offense to you, but that is THE typical Minnesota sports fan response...."Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Let me ask you, why are you "fearing it might be closer to B"?

That's what im wondering, i don't see how anyone can think we won't make the playoffs purely based on the team we have put together....."Experts" have us labeled as a playoff team but its own "fans" don't.......

Old
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
That's what im wondering, i don't see how anyone can think we won't make the playoffs purely based on the team we have put together....."Experts" have us labeled as a playoff team but its own "fans" don't.......
It's a Minnesota sports fan thing. More often than not the hopes of the fan get crushed by either the teams performance, or something unforeseen that really spoils the party.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Mikael Granlund
4th Line Lurker

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I don't want humble pit.

IIRC the Wild were down 3-1 in both series, not 3-0.

Mikael Granlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Expectations are raised. If we don't make the playoffs, that will be a major disappointment.
You need to manage your expectations.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
You need to manage your expectations.
I think hes right. If we don't make the playoffs, we're going to get so much flak.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Granlund View Post
IIRC the Wild were down 3-1 in both series, not 3-0.
Correct.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
There is a difference between being confident and cocky(overconfident). With the team we have on paper i think we have the right to be confident that we can make a deep run in the playoffs. Cockiness on the other hand, no body likes it. It's annoying and makes you look foolish. A cocky ignorant fan would say, "Wow, Parise and Suter, there is no way we aren't going to dominate the NHL and win the cup." A confident fan would look at the team we have on paper and say, "Wow, we actually have a respectable roster this year, as well as plenty of depth in the AHL ready to step up in case of injuries. We have a great chance to make a deep run in the playoffs, but i know that it's a long season and anything can happen." The confident fan respects the process.
Not sure how much of this was directed at my comment, but I don't think I said anything to suggest that I'm confident, let alone cocky. The only thing I'm confident in is this team's ability to fail spectacularly no matter how slanted the odds may seem to be in their favor. I simply said that they had better make the playoffs and make a respectable showing there.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 07-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.
llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote