HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Old
07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
gsharpe

vCash: 500
Alex Edler

What is Edlers trade value? Hes a pending free agent and while is already a top 20 defenseman is only 25.

Canucks would be looking for either a more assertive defenseman (Weber, Myers, E. Johnson, Bogosian, etc...) or a top 6 winger. Someone who is flexible and can play with Kesler (B. Ryan, Kessel, Giroux, Huburdeau, etc...)

Ps. On my phone so cant do the whole picture and stats very easily.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:32 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Edler is a great player but with his contract status you have your hopes set a little to high for a return. You wont get a similar quality payer that has a contract set for longer.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Yeah. Not going to get much for a guy who could potentially just come back and sign back here next offseason .

Silfverberg Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

He is more valuable to the Canucks. He won't get a big return since he is a pending UFA and teams won't give up top prospects for a guy that could be a rental. If Edler is signed for 3 years then the return you suggested is likely.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:36 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I'd suspect it'd be around what Burns got last season, if the Canucks traded him now: A young 2nd/3rd line tweener winger, an above average prospect, and a low first.

You won't get a young #1 defenseman or a legit top-3 winger with only one year left.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Realistically a return I would want for Edler: A top defensive prospect/rookie ready to make an impact in the NHL, plus a good top 6 winger.

For example, Franzen + Smith, or Lupul(or JVR+) and Gardiner.

Depending on which players come back, we may have to add some in return, but that is what I would like to see come back.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Edler for Perry

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Realistically a return I would want for Edler: A top defensive prospect/rookie ready to make an impact in the NHL, plus a good top 6 winger.

For example, Franzen + Smith, or Lupul(or JVR+) and Gardiner.

Depending on which players come back, we may have to add some in return, but that is what I would like to see come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Edler for Perry
You aren't going to get either of those proposals for Edler.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
McTank

Because of contract status I'd offer stafford, would love to have Edler and Ehrhoff reunited

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:46 AM
LeX4cavalier

If we could extend Edler, i'd want a great 1st line forward or a #1 dman who is better than him

LeX4cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
You aren't going to get either of those proposals for Edler.
I said we would have to add. But I would only move Edler for a package like that.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Rey

With most stars and great, but not stars yet, type of players locked it, it would be wise for Vancouver hope to re-sign and wait it out, if they have to, like Nashville did with Suter/Weber. Unfortunately, things didn't work for them, but you have to understand, that you'll rarely get fair value for that top player. It's a situation where, you'd have to go big or go home. Obviously, not hoping it goes that far but 99%, if the player is worth keeping, you keep trying until the end.

Edler's probably going to be the closest thing to a star defense man they are going to get. It's impossible to sign a quality defense man without insanely overpaying, unless you draft and develop, and hope for the player to give the hometown discount

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I said we would have to add. But I would only move Edler for a package like that.
You'd probably have to add a top forward prospect. Wouldn't make sense for either teams.

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:34 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Because of contract status I'd offer stafford, would love to have Edler and Ehrhoff reunited
Pass. Looking forward to MG re-signing Edler this year. No reason to move him unless it's for an upgrade.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:37 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Pass. Looking forward to MG re-signing Edler this year. No reason to move him unless it's for an upgrade.
Just out of interest, unless he REALLY loves vancouver, why does he re-sign? The way UFA contracts are being tossed out these days I know I'd test free agency if I was him

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:47 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Just out of interest, unless he REALLY loves vancouver, why does he re-sign? The way UFA contracts are being tossed out these days I know I'd test free agency if I was him
Well, MG has been very good at getting his FAs to sign at team-friendly deals, Ehrhoff being one notable exception. We could very well be headed into yet another CBApocalypse season here, who knows how things will shake out. I would imagine getting Edler under contract will be a pretty high priority this year.

To turn your question around, why wouldn't he re-sign? Vancouver's a contending team, a pleasant city to live in if you've got lots of cash (barring the odd riot), the owners of the Canucks have deep pockets and they're not afraid to open them, Edler's in the system that drafted and developed him and the only NHL team he's ever known, his friends are here, etc etc etc. Cap hit aside, Ehrhoff was making $10 mil last season, let's not forget. If Edler's more reasonable, I for one remain optimistic we can strike a good deal for everyone involved.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:33 AM
lgenord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Well, MG has been very good at getting his FAs to sign at team-friendly deals, Ehrhoff being one notable exception. We could very well be headed into yet another CBApocalypse season here, who knows how things will shake out. I would imagine getting Edler under contract will be a pretty high priority this year.

To turn your question around, why wouldn't he re-sign? Vancouver's a contending team, a pleasant city to live in if you've got lots of cash (barring the odd riot), the owners of the Canucks have deep pockets and they're not afraid to open them, Edler's in the system that drafted and developed him and the only NHL team he's ever known, his friends are here, etc etc etc. Cap hit aside, Ehrhoff was making $10 mil last season, let's not forget. If Edler's more reasonable, I for one remain optimistic we can strike a good deal for everyone involved.

Edler is a great defenceman already and still up and coming. Ideally, Gillis should resign him ASAP, before the season starts and refuse any scenarios involving him in a trade. Why would a team even consider moving a D with stats like the following, the comparison is with Webber since the 07 season.

Edler........................GP G A PTS
2007-08 Canucks NHL 75 8 12 20
2008-09 Canucks NHL 80 10 27 37
2009-10 Canucks NHL 76 5 37 42
2010-11 Canucks NHL 51 8 25 33
2011-12 Canucks NHL 82 11 38 49

Webber......................GP G A PTS
2007-08 Predators NHL 54 6 14 20
2008-09 Predators NHL 81 23 30 53
2009-10 Predators NHL 78 16 27 43
2010-11 Predators NHL 82 16 32 48
2011-12 Predators NHL 78 19 30 49

The notion of saying Edler would not get the Canucks much is horse manure at best. At 26 years old and stats like these, he will stay a Canuck...... and BTW,this last sentence is not directed towards you ProstheticConscience...

Last edited by lgenord: 07-23-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Alignment
lgenord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:42 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgenord View Post
Edler is a great defenceman already and still up and coming. Ideally, Gillis should resign him ASAP, before the season starts and refuse any scenarios involving him in a trade. Why would a team even consider moving a D with stats like the following, the comparison is with Webber since the 07 season.

Edler........................GP G A PTS
2007-08 Canucks NHL 75 8 12 20
2008-09 Canucks NHL 80 10 27 37
2009-10 Canucks NHL 76 5 37 42
2010-11 Canucks NHL 51 8 25 33
2011-12 Canucks NHL 82 11 38 49

Webber......................GP G A PTS
2007-08 Predators NHL 54 6 14 20
2008-09 Predators NHL 81 23 30 53
2009-10 Predators NHL 78 16 27 43
2010-11 Predators NHL 82 16 32 48
2011-12 Predators NHL 78 19 30 49

The notion of saying Edler would not get the Canucks much is horse manure at best. At 26 years old and stats like these, he will stay a Canuck......
To put up stats to compare Edler to Weber is just foolish. Edler is a good defenseman but not on Weber's level. Edler is inconsistent defensively. That is what is holding him back the most.

Also I don't think anyone said Edler has low value just he is not going to return a younger or same aged player with comparable talent signed to a longer deal.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:21 AM
tsujimoto74

Every single one of the players you listed has more value than Edler. Not that he's not good, but not even close to some of them, and the ones he is...He's still an impending UFA. Vancouver won't get a return for him that makes them a better team. So they won't trade him.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:22 AM
lgenord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
To put up stats to compare Edler to Weber is just foolish. Edler is a good defenseman but not on Weber's level. Edler is inconsistent defensively. That is what is holding him back the most.

Also I don't think anyone said Edler has low value just he is not going to return a younger or same aged player with comparable talent signed to a longer deal.
A year younger and for the most part playing on the second D pairing which means "not with the higher scoring line, the Sedins" and yet puts up the numbers he has done. What would his numbers be consistently playing on the first D pairing? A comparion with Webber is not done out of foolishness but rather is an excellent barometer to use. His playoff point total surpasses that of Webber, mind you Webber has played fewer PO games. Careerwise, they are pretty much at par as far as +/- is concerned.

All I am making evident is the talk re his current contract staus would have zero significance as any other team in a similar situation would fix it (sign him and then trade or for the potential trading partner getting a "sign" promise from said player) prior to a deal being made. The Canucks would not entertain anything other than equal value or overpayment. However, I personally believe the organization will sign him to a long term "to stay" contract...

Old
07-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Oshie97

With everyone taking note of what is happening to Nashville, i doubt many young highly talented d-man get to free agency or RFA. I also do not see many teams making them available for trade unless they are broken goods ( attitude problems, contract fights, ect). They are just too hard to draft and develop compared to forwards.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

To sum up: Edler = not worth it to trade. We'll keep him, thanks.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:59 AM
lgenord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
With everyone taking note of what is happening to Nashville, i doubt many young highly talented d-man get to free agency or RFA. I also do not see many teams making them available for trade unless they are broken goods ( attitude problems, contract fights, ect). They are just too hard to draft and develop compared to forwards.
Yes, spot on! There was lots of theorizing happening regarding Edler ++ for Webber prior to him signing the offersheet. Where as I am not the biggest Canuck fan, I have taken notice of Edler and find it amusing how he is consistently spoken of in an undervalued fashion. I can see some of the points made but find with the new CBA on the horizon, Edler would be dumb not signing in the next couple of months...

Old
07-23-2012, 04:30 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Perceptive question. Edler does have value and is not locked up long term. It is likely that other GMs would ask about him.

If Gillis were to offer Luongo and a choice of Ballard or Edler, you'd think there would be some response. I am thinking of Columbus, but there are others. I am thinking that a starter and a top pairing defenceman are like a kit to improve a team's defense and goals against.

On his own, I'd rather keep Edler than aquire his return. If Gillis decides to do a package Ballard has less value than Edler, currently. Luongo and Edler should get Nash, but Luongo and Ballard probably wouldn't.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:41 AM
palindrom

Edler value will be greater at the deadline.

It work well if you are looking for prospect/pick in return.

If you want a NHL player back, the problem is the other NHL players value increase as well at the deadline, so it cancel out.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote