Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Festerling signs in DEL

Old
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
IceCapsNation

vCash: 500
Festerling signs in DEL

Brett Festerling has signed overseas in the DEL.

best of luck Brett!

http://icetigers.de/content/ice-tige...-n%C3%BCrnberg

Last edited by IceCapsNation: 07-23-2012 at 08:43 AM.
IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 2599
Our AHL corps are being decimated, aren't they. Flood, Kulda, Festerling... I can only guess that they weren't in the long term plans of the organization.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:23 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Our AHL corps are being decimated, aren't they. Flood, Kulda, Festerling... I can only guess that they weren't in the long term plans of the organization.
Two of the 3 were AHL guys, nothing more. I think making some room for the prospects is a good thing, more responsibility for guys like Redmond.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
ByeBye

Any thoughts on Festerling? I'd be especially interested in his skating abilities and offensive upside (not judging by NHL standards, of course).

*edit: Oh and by the way, it's not a rumor anymore. See (German) source.

ByeBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
Any thoughts on Festerling? I'd be especially interested in his skating abilities and offensive upside (not judging by NHL standards, of course).

Thanks nuernberger

I watched Festerling play all last season, he can throw some spectacular hits. Although I'm unfarmiliar with the style of play in your league, his hitting maybe inaffective if it's generally not part of the style there.

He's not an offencive dynamo, but he's not a bust either. He's a shut-down d-man who tends to chase the big hits and occasionally gets caught out of position (Phaneuf like). However, if he can connect on the hip-check, it resulted in large cheers from our full house of 6,300

He's a great pro player, but not a stand out elite player (NHL). I base that one AHL, DEL, SEL etc.. being Pro, and NHL being Elite.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
This is clearly being done intentionally. Flood, Festerling, & Kulda leaving allows the TNSE regime to begin grooming younger players, a new crop as it were. It allows Melchiori, O'Neil, and perhaps Chiarot/Sol/someone else the chance to step into the regular lineup full time. Postma on a one-way deal also allows Redmond to move into that #1 spot.

The IceCaps will probably struggle for awhile but grooming the new guard is not a bad thing. An added bonus will be that Pasquale will see a ton of pucks.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This is clearly being done intentionally. Flood, Festerling, & Kulda leaving allows the TNSE regime to begin grooming younger players, a new crop as it were. It allows Melchiori, O'Neil, and perhaps Chiarot/Sol/someone else the chance to step into the regular lineup full time. Postma on a one-way deal also allows Redmond to move into that #1 spot.

The IceCaps will probably struggle for awhile but grooming the new guard is not a bad thing. An added bonus will be that Pasquale will see a ton of pucks.
I agree 100%. I can't wait to see some of those young guys as regular pros especially Melchiori and Sol. I think Postma is ready as well, he will definitely help our PP this year.

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 AM
GrandChelems

Quote:

How do you know the bolded is the case, though? To me it looks like players accepting better contracts and more playing time, i.e. their decision not the Jets.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
How do you know the bolded is the case, though? To me it looks like players accepting better contracts and more playing time, i.e. their decision not the Jets.
I make that assumption because it is fairly obvious that none of the players that left had much of an NHL future here - despite being on two-way deals in the case of Flood/Kulda (not sure about Festerling). Flood was unable to take a spot despite being given a full year of opportunity to do so; he was just an emergency backup. I like Kulda but he is easily replaceable and he slotted in quite low on the depth chart despite many years of service. Festerling never really even got a sniff. They left because they could see that Postma and Redmond passed them on the chart. The Jets allowed them to leave (perhaps likely even facilitated their departure) to free up NHL contract spaces. I think they are only allowed 50 cts at any one time IIRC. You grant those cts to people you feel will eventually play on your team.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I make that assumption because it is fairly obvious that none of the players that left had much of an NHL future here - despite being on two-way deals in the case of Flood/Kulda (not sure about Festerling). Flood was unable to take a spot despite being given a full year of opportunity to do so; he was just an emergency backup. I like Kulda but he is easily replaceable and he slotted in quite low on the depth chart despite many years of service. Festerling never really even got a sniff. They left because they could see that Postma and Redmond passed them on the chart. The Jets allowed them to leave (perhaps likely even facilitated their departure) to free up NHL contract spaces. I think they are only allowed 50 cts at any one time IIRC. You grant those cts to people you feel will eventually play on your team.
Chevy said he negotiated with all of their players from last year except Jones. He also gave qualifying offers to all RFAs except Fehr.
Sounds like they did have plans with them, but not what some of them wanted. In the end the players did what they thought was best for them.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 540
Quote:

He's considered a defensive defenseman.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
manniaaron

that logo for that del team is bad just ugly. even the echl thinks that logo is cheesey

manniaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Chevy said he negotiated with all of their players from last year except Jones. He also gave qualifying offers to all RFAs except Fehr.
Sounds like they did have plans with them, but not what some of them wanted. In the end the players did what they thought was best for them.
Yes, he did. There are also distinctly different ways to negotiate however. If the Jets truly wanted to keep those players then they would now be under contract. While a qualifying offer is a basic contract with standardized terms, player agents also get a direct hint to the possibilities of future advancement during negotiations with management. That the players walked despite being offered qualifying contracts meant that they could see their (likely to be AHL) future on the wall.

So yes, indeed the team did probably have plans for them, only minor ones it appears. Implying to a player that they've only a limited future is a way to indirectly show them the door.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:13 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

With Redmond, Melchiori, O'Neill and maybe Sol playing regular minutes next year, it makes sense for them to clear some defensemen out.

I don't think they expected losing Kulda though.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:09 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 540
Chevy was high on Flood last season. Stating at one point that he didn't want to put him on waivers cause he thought he would be taken.

Anyone know what the pay is like in the DEL or KHL for these types of players?

Flood was on a 2 way paying 175 / 525 last season

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Chevy was high on Flood last season. Stating at one point that he didn't want to put him on waivers cause he thought he would be taken.

Anyone know what the pay is like in the DEL or KHL for these types of players?

Flood was on a 2 way paying 175 / 525 last season
It varies but imports with NHL experience can make between 200-400 thousand dollars in DEL and Swiss League. KHL can overpay their players in some cases. And remember that its tax free cause the club covers the taxes.

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:

In my viewing, I'd say he was never going to be an NHLer

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote