HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 175: Lets All Agree

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post

love that song, love it love it love it. They took Golden Earring's version (or whatever the **** their name was) and enhanced it to a superhuman level.

Sucks that Vito broke his hand after quitting the band, too. Made a comeback impossible.
it deserves a post - this and Motley Crue's "Kickstart my Heart" go down as two of the best adrenaline pumping songs of the day. (And great songs to play racing video games to - lol)

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
Evan Royster's tweet was my favorite so far.

I think the penalties are just... provided they provide assistance to any athlete looking to transfer. If you're confident you're going to be playing in the NFL, CFL and so on... you transfer. If you don't think you'll make it or care about making it to the pro's, then you have a decision to make but can stay and keep the scholarship. I think that protects the current students while keeping true to the punishments.

The vacation of wins since 1998 is a statistical punishment for Paterno to be removed from all-time lists and such. Doesn't mean much either way.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
If they wanted to take away Paterno's wins, no problem. But to penalize the players, that's what I have a problem with.

All well, what's done is done now. Time to move on.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:52 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
If they wanted to take away Paterno's wins, no problem. But to penalize the players, that's what I have a problem with.

Well let me ask you, how does this punish the players? The alumni still played the games, won, got the experiences and are either moved on to the next phase of their lives or they are being paid pretty darn well in the NFL/CFL.

Everyone knows that the football program was going to suffer because of this and it's the RIGHT move.

I think the NCAA did the right thing offering assistance to those who want to transfer or the opportunity to keep the scholarships for those wanting to stay.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:

Re: the current players, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for any programs that accept Penn State transfers.

So this is hardly punishing the current players. If they want to stick it out and play for a tainted program, so be it. But the NCAA is giving them every opportunity to transfer to another program without that other school taking on any obligation to their scholarship limit.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

response from one of my PSU alumni friends

Him: they're going to investigate after the trials are concluded
investigate after, punish before
makes sense

Him: they didnt invoke the death penalty (ending the program for a year) because it would punish people who had nothing to do with it
apparently no one in indy knows what irony is
that's ALL the NCAA can do
they never punish the offenders
everyone is always gone by the time they step in
and so if they cant punish directly
they punish collectively
that's a war crime under the geneva convention, but hey, marky mark asked the governing body for special powers to act
if he's gonna play hitler, might as well go all the way

Old
07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Well let me ask you, how does this punish the players? The alumni still played the games, won, got the experiences and are either moved on to the next phase of their lives or they are being paid pretty darn well in the NFL/CFL.

Everyone knows that the football program was going to suffer because of this and it's the RIGHT move.

I think the NCAA did the right thing offering assistance to those who want to transfer or the opportunity to keep the scholarships for those wanting to stay.
Anyone that played those games now has zero wins technically...I'm positive they've moved on, but I don't feel like they needed to take that away from them. If you want to say that Paterno would lose the games, fine.

I'm allowed to disagree with some of the punishments, just like you're allowed to agree with them.

There are things that I felt they did right, there are things I felt they could have handled better.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:56 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Re: the current players, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for any programs that accept Penn State transfers.

So this is hardly punishing the current players. If they want to stick it out and play for a tainted program, so be it. But the NCAA is giving them every opportunity to transfer to another program without that other school taking on any obligation to their scholarship limit.
I'm not talking about current players in that statement.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

the sentencing of sandusky, which will be anti-climactic, is more important to me than this crap. football games lost? kids were ****d, so...yeah,

Old
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

Quote:

Just to be clear, the victories still stand for the team records, just Joe's personal wins are vacated*

And the fines may seem huge but actually it's just a single season's worth of income.

Quote:
The NCAA said the $60 million is equivalent to the annual gross revenue of the football program. The money must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at Penn State.
* reading different reports now, there's conflicting statements. Not sure if it's team or personal. One says Joe's wins, another says team wins. Gotta wait for more clarification. Would suck if it was team wins.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
I'm not talking about current players in that statement.
Well, then, tough luck. They have no one but Sandusky and Paterno to thank for that.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Just to be clear, the victories still stand for the team records, just Joe's personal wins are vacated*

And the fines may seem huge but actually it's just a single season's worth of income.

* reading different reports now, there's conflicting statements. Not sure if it's team or personal. One says Joe's wins, another says team wins. Gotta wait for more clarification. Would suck if it was team wins.
I want to say team wins, because I heard an Ohio State alum in the office say that OSU is now the Big Ten champs for '05 and '08

Old
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Well, then, tough luck. They have no one but Sandusky and Paterno to thank for that.
I'm in total agreement with you on this topic.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I don't give a **** about retconning a bunch of wins when there was a grown man ****ing twelve year olds. I'm willing to bet the same goes for the players on those teams.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

Quote:
I want to say team wins, because I heard an Ohio State alum in the office say that OSU is now the Big Ten champs for '05 and '08
I think it is team because my buddy just messaged me that the OSU vs PSU game from 2010 never happened and he's all over this as a PSU fan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...d=201011130033

OSU sanctioned for Tressel's violations
PSU now for Paterno's

Old
07-23-2012, 09:10 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

It's team wins, which is why I made my comment before.

Again, nothing is going to change what happened. Accept the punishments and move on and try and change the program for the better.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

It needed to happen. There is no way around it. And I'm glad they didn't give it the death penalty because it would be punishing those not involved. This is the best thing they could have done, for sure.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

So on to another dicey topic...the people who have to defend James Holmes...that has to be a tough pill to swallow.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:06 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Okay, so I stayed the same weight wise this week, which I'm fine with because I lost 1/2in. in my waist and 3/4in in my hips. Totally cool with that...week 3 training begins today!
This is normal. After a layoff from working out (injury, laziness,etc) I always actually even GAIN weight when I first get back in the gym. You build muscle, which weighs more than fat, but yet helps you lose fat. All good.

Quote:
I cannot possibly quantify how hot Hathaway is in TDKR.

Every time she's on the screen it's like, "god almighty".
My guess is it's the miracle of Hollywood makeup and outfits. She's a very pretty girl, but not outrageously hot if you see her in "real life".

Quote:
Loved me some White Lion. Remakes or covers or whatever you want to call them usually suck but 1 of my favorites was White Lion's "Radar Love".
Totally forgot about that cover, When The Children Cry is their only song I can recall (probably because it was played 3,472,847 times on the radio back in the day).

Old
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
So on to another dicey topic...the people who have to defend James Holmes...that has to be a tough pill to swallow.
One of my uncle-in-law's has done this in Sweden on numerous occasions.

Next time I see him I will have to ask him more about those times. Would be an interesting perspective.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
CerebralGenesis

What did he do now?

Old
07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

Quote:
I think they'd say they are "representing him" more than defending him.

Did they finally get all the boobie traps out of his apt?

Boobies.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Scott04

Quote:
I cannot possibly quantify how hot Hathaway is in TDKR.

Every time she's on the screen it's like, "god almighty".
This x10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I was expecting worse honestly (cancelled seasons)
When I heard the reports that it would be "unprecedented" I was assuming the same. A couple of canceled years so that any investigations/procedures can sort themselves out prior to resuming football. Keep the shadow of all of this mess away from an active football team, but also make a serious statement that administrators have a bigger responsibility than merely avoiding recruiting/eligibility violations. The actual punishments still fit as unprecedented. Just wasn't quite what I was originally expecting. But hey, I would say they still got hit pretty hard.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
I think they'd say they are "representing him" more than defending him.

Did they finally get all the boobie traps out of his apt?

Boobies.
That's true, but still...yuck!

Anyway, yes they did. Took them a while, and then they detonated them in an empty field. I believe everyone that lived there was allowed back in to their places yesterday.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

The Penn State sanctions are more about CYA than actual punishment.

Closed Thread