HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Satan to Islanders, Visnovsky maybe not

Old
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Ivanko

vCash: 500
Satan to Islanders, Visnovsky maybe not

Slovak newspaper is quoting Lubo Visnovsky saying two interesting things (http://sport.sme.sk/c/6467071/visnov...o-satanom.html).

First one is a hint that Islanders are interested in Miro Satan: "Garth Snow called me that they are in negotiations with Miroslav Satan. I probably should not tell this to the media, but he told me that they are trying to persuade him to return to Long Island, where he played in the past."

I take this with a grain of salt, however the second part of the article is really interested. Apparently, Visnovsky believes that there is a problem with his trade to the Islanders. In his contract (originally signed with the Kings), there was a clause that in the 5th year of his contract he could only be traded to a team from a 10-team list that he provides. The Ducks did not get any list from him. He says that the Ducks believe that this clause is no longer valid, since he waived his no-trade clause when he was traded from Edmonton. He also says that the NHLPA does not agree with this and he (Visnovsky) with his agent are considering to apply for an arbitration to invalidate the trade.

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Pinkfloyd

If it was a clause that had not come into effect yet, which is what it sounds like, it was the acquiring team's option to honor it when they traded for him. Either the Oilers or the Ducks could've declined to honor it when they traded for him.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Hmm interesting, would we get our pick back?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:21 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Is it just me or is this like the third time a "Visnovsky isn't showing up" rumor has come out since he's been traded to LI?

I'm done reading into these things until something is actually confirmed.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:21 AM
kasper11

If the clause went into effect in the fifth year, it is moot.

He was traded at the draft. The NHL calendar year begins July 1. He was technically traded during the fourth year of his deal.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

He was traded at the draft. The NHL calendar year begins July 1. He was technically traded during the fourth year of his deal.

Exactly Kasper 11! The NHL would review contracts prior to accepting the trade at head office. If there was an issue with the contract, the NHL would notify both parties to inform of the issues, OR the player could have brought this up right after the trade to make this assertion rather than waiting weeks later.

Nabokov didn't want to play initially for the Islanders but ended up signing another deal. Visnovsky could be mad because he is only getting paid $3 million on his final year to play for a non-contending team at 35 years old. Had he still been paid the $5.6 million cap hit, this would not be an issue.

Visnovsky should just play his arse off for the Islanders and get a retirement contract with a contending team next year. Always look to the future not the present.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

There's no way Satan is coming back to Long Island.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Ivanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Exactly Kasper 11! The NHL would review contracts prior to accepting the trade at head office. If there was an issue with the contract, the NHL would notify both parties to inform of the issues, OR the player could have brought this up right after the trade to make this assertion rather than waiting weeks later.

Nabokov didn't want to play initially for the Islanders but ended up signing another deal. Visnovsky could be mad because he is only getting paid $3 million on his final year to play for a non-contending team at 35 years old. Had he still been paid the $5.6 million cap hit, this would not be an issue.

Visnovsky should just play his arse off for the Islanders and get a retirement contract with a contending team next year. Always look to the future not the present.
Well, ok but in the first year there was a full no-trade clause. Visnovsky is quoted by the article that the league has no problem with the trade, but the NHLPA has and thats why he is considering an arbitration.

With regards to your second point, Visnovsky said several times that this will be his last season in the NHL, so he doesn't have the motivation to work his arse off for a retirement contract. He also said several times that hockey is not his priority anymore and his last season looked like that. In my opinion the Islanders might be better of without him.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Jumping

Based on the Boards I am surprised that Satan isn't coming to Philadelphia.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Ivanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
There's no way Satan is coming back to Long Island.
Well, actually he still lives on Long Island. But I agree that he is not coming back to play for the Islanders. He didnt play in the NHL for 2 seasons and is not getting any better, although he had a really good World Championship tournament with in May.

Maybe it was just something that Snow told Visnovsky to make him feel better about being traded there.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

Exactly

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanko View Post
Well, ok but in the first year there was a full no-trade clause. Visnovsky is quoted by the article that the league has no problem with the trade, but the NHLPA has and thats why he is considering an arbitration.

With regards to your second point, Visnovsky said several times that this will be his last season in the NHL, so he doesn't have the motivation to work his arse off for a retirement contract. He also said several times that hockey is not his priority anymore and his last season looked like that. In my opinion the Islanders might be better of without him.
That is unfortunate to read that a player who is getting paid millions to play in the best hockey league in the world doesn't even have the motivation to play his best. You are right, the Islanders should walk away from the deal and move on. However, the Islanders love those higher cap hit deals with lower salaries so they may push to keep the trade. What a wacky situation.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Slovak newspaper is quoting Lubo Visnovsky saying two interesting things (http://sport.sme.sk/c/6467071/visnov...o-satanom.html).

First one is a hint that Islanders are interested in Miro Satan: "Garth Snow called me that they are in negotiations with Miroslav Satan. I probably should not tell this to the media, but he told me that they are trying to persuade him to return to Long Island, where he played in the past."

I take this with a grain of salt, however the second part of the article is really interested. Apparently, Visnovsky believes that there is a problem with his trade to the Islanders. In his contract (originally signed with the Kings), there was a clause that in the 5th year of his contract he could only be traded to a team from a 10-team list that he provides. The Ducks did not get any list from him. He says that the Ducks believe that this clause is no longer valid, since he waived his no-trade clause when he was traded from Edmonton. He also says that the NHLPA does not agree with this and he (Visnovsky) with his agent are considering to apply for an arbitration to invalidate the trade.
Wasn't Lubo dealt before his new contract kicked in, thus nullifying any NTC/NMC that was in the original deal?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Who cares about Lubo, it's the potential return of Miro the Hero!

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

the clause was null and void twice--with the trade to Oilers and then to the ducks. Once a trade occurs the no trade clause or no movement clauses in the deal are NFG

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Well, it's legit...

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid.

Crap.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Ivanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the clause was null and void twice--with the trade to Oilers and then to the ducks. Once a trade occurs the no trade clause or no movement clauses in the deal are NFG
Not saying it isn't so, but it seams really unfair to the player, especially if the team moves him before the contract kicks in. Why should the player loose the no trade clause that was agreed?

Old
07-23-2012, 09:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
That is unfortunate to read that a player who is getting paid millions to play in the best hockey league in the world doesn't even have the motivation to play his best. You are right, the Islanders should walk away from the deal and move on. However, the Islanders love those higher cap hit deals with lower salaries so they may push to keep the trade. What a wacky situation.
I agree with the bolded part.

The Isles had no problem tolling a reluctant Nabokov's contact, forcing him to play a yr for them.
They won't just let Vis walk. Not when he is an upgrade to their defense and making so much less, then his large cap hit.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Well, it's legit...

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid.

Crap.
he is being fed bad info. The we had this discussion the first time he got traded from the Kings to the oilers and then again to the Ducks. Trade agreements are with the original team he signed the contract with and when he gets traded it moots the option

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
@StapleNewsday

Screw him.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
ISLESnPANTHERS

Lol, after a while this just gets comical. Wang drove this organization into the dirt and now nobody wants to play for us. As for Lubo, we should just try and flip him and pick up someone else with the cap space.

ISLESnPANTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he is being fed bad info. The we had this discussion the first time he got traded from the Kings to the oilers and then again to the Ducks. Trade agreements are with the original team he signed the contract with and when he gets traded it moots the option
It only moots it if you are dealt before the contract kicks in, which is the case here.

AKA Ryan Smyth, was dealt from COL to LA, but his NMC was still valid that he forced DL's hands to deal him to Edmonton.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLESnPANTHERS View Post
Lol, after a while this just gets comical. Wang drove this organization into the dirt and now nobody wants to play for us. As for Lubo, we should just try and flip him and pick up someone else with the cap space.
I don't think it's uncommon for a guy Lubo's age to not want to play for a lotto team.

The guy is 35, has been in the league since 00-01 and has only played 18 playoff games over 3 years. He probably wants a shot at the cup.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I really don't think Lubo wants to play for us. Maybe we can package him with something to get another d-man

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

So is it confirmed that his NTC kicked in during the 5th season, which started July 1st?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote