HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Scotty Bowman picks the Habs to win!!! (I think)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2006, 10:27 AM
DerekT

vCash: 500
Scotty Bowman picks the Habs to win!!! (I think)

No. 2 Carolina vs. No. 7 Montreal: The Hurricanes have had a banner season although they're not quite the same team without Erik Cole (out for the year). Goalie Martin Gerber has been a little spotty the last month as opposed to what he was before that. But Gerber could rise up, he played real well in the Olympics this year.

As for Montreal, I wonder if the Canadiens will start with David Aebisher on the road, because he has more experience, and maybe decide to come back with Cristobal Huet at home (for Game 3). Except for the last game against New Jersey, Huet has been a hot goalie at home. But that's a question mark for them.

Judging from the regular season, Carolina had a big edge. This might not be a good matchup for Montreal. Although it'll be interesting to see if Carolina can play the same as they did during most of the regular season, the Hurricanes fell off a little bit the last couple of weeks.

Pick: It's hard to pick against Carolina. I think it'll be a tough series but I'll go with the home team.

source: http://www.chom.com/node/341193

His pick is a little weird to decipher, but I think by home team he means the Habs! Yay!!

Old
04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
BigTimer*

It's clear as day, actually. He's picking the Canes.

Old
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninot
No. 2 Carolina vs. No. 7 Montreal: The Hurricanes have had a banner season although they're not quite the same team without Erik Cole (out for the year). Goalie Martin Gerber has been a little spotty the last month as opposed to what he was before that. But Gerber could rise up, he played real well in the Olympics this year.

As for Montreal, I wonder if the Canadiens will start with David Aebisher on the road, because he has more experience, and maybe decide to come back with Cristobal Huet at home (for Game 3). Except for the last game against New Jersey, Huet has been a hot goalie at home. But that's a question mark for them.

Judging from the regular season, Carolina had a big edge. This might not be a good matchup for Montreal. Although it'll be interesting to see if Carolina can play the same as they did during most of the regular season, the Hurricanes fell off a little bit the last couple of weeks.

Pick: It's hard to pick against Carolina. I think it'll be a tough series but I'll go with the home team.

source: http://www.chom.com/node/341193

His pick is a little weird to decipher, but I think by home team he means the Habs! Yay!!

Who is starting game one at home... Who has most home games in that series...
I don't understand how you came up with Habs.

Old
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
He grew up in Montreal (or at least lives here. I know his brother did, as he teaches at my old school). I think he's picking the Canadiens..

Old
04-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
He grew up in Montreal (or at least lives here. I know his brother did, as he teaches at my old school). I think he's picking the Canadiens..
He said "the" hometeam, not "my" hometeam so I believe he's picking the team with home ice advantedge ie: The Hurricanes.

Old
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

If he's talking to a Montreal reporter, then saying "the home team" means Montreal.

Old
04-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Montrealer

I think it's pretty clear he's talking about the Hurricanes.

Old
04-21-2006, 04:54 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

didn't that thread was closed?

Old
04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
StanAjax

When I read it first, I immediately thought he picked Carolina (that's on NHL.com, so I guess that's the first source, so no Montreal reporter).

However, Bowman is very clever, and if you read all his predictions, ne never talks about a walk in the park for any team...

He also pencils that there are usually more upsets in the first round because of low-seeded teams bulleting in the top 8 to clinch a playoff spot.

Then, he manages to call only one upset, SJ over Nashville. The "most probable" one due to Vokoun's injury...

Gotta love Scotty...

Old
04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
SuperUnknown

Imo it's pretty clear he's picking the Hurricanes (who have ice advantage = hometeam).

Old
04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
CrazyShea

Who cares who hes picking

Old
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Bowman, although highly respected (more by many miles than Demers or Bergeron), isn't judge and jury. The issue still has to be settled on the ice.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Bowman, although highly respected (more by many miles than Demers or Bergeron), isn't judge and jury. The issue still has to be settled on the ice.
Your new avatar?

Old
04-22-2006, 04:16 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
He grew up in Verdun, played junior hockey in Montreal and came up as a coach through the Canadiens' ranks before coaching in St. Louis and then coming home in 71-72 to coach the big team. He lives in Tampa Bay now.

Bowman likes having an elite goalie. He's not a fan of tandems. I think that is a big part of his reasoning for going with Carolina. But it looks like Montreal is going with Huet, so maybe he'll change his mind.

Old
04-22-2006, 09:45 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
Yes though he does not seem certain about the pick.

Old
04-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
He picked the Canes.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:24 AM
DerekT

Quote:
Breaking down the sentence (not that I'm sure Bowman writes like he thinks), he says it's hard to pick against the canes, it will be a tough series HOWEVER (well, but) he will go with the home team. To me, that sounds like despite all ods, he thinks the underdog can prevail.

Closed Thread