HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nash Thread V (All things Nash here: DREGER: Nash to NYR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 07:07 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
It's insane babbling to try and predict where the CBJ will finish, especially in an unresolved "Trade Nash" thread. This is especially true given last year's debacle and the still cloudy goalie picture.

There's a difference between optimism and premature ejaculation.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:23 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm sorry, did you quote my post by accident or something? I don't see anything in here that actually constitutes a reply to anything I said.
Okay, I'll assume you stayed up too late so you aren't as sharp as you usually are. Here try this one and see if it is any clearer:

The Jets aren't even in our conference, and while their blueline is enviable by many their offense is about as anemic as ours. Heck, one could arguably say they're us with somewhat more proven goaltending.

My reply was a reference to two things-Pavelec's recent traffic accident and the fact that the jackets are always playing golf in April. Now that you see it, you'll see how funny and clever it is

Minnesota has one heck of a "name brand" offense going, but they're having to hope that the kids on the blueline have adequately learned from last year's baptism by fire and can keep going. Tall order

I was referring to the fact that Suter is now there and should help.
Sometimes you have to connect the dots.

Hope this helps you understand. I'll try to be more direct in my responses form now on. Maybe even annotate them for you.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Okay, I'll assume you stayed up too late so you aren't as sharp as you usually are. Here try this one and see if it is any clearer:

The Jets aren't even in our conference, and while their blueline is enviable by many their offense is about as anemic as ours. Heck, one could arguably say they're us with somewhat more proven goaltending.

My reply was a reference to two things-Pavelec's recent traffic accident and the fact that the jackets are always playing golf in April. Now that you see it, you'll see how funny and clever it is
Sorry, my capacity for bad puns is at an all time low at the moment.

Quote:
Minnesota has one heck of a "name brand" offense going, but they're having to hope that the kids on the blueline have adequately learned from last year's baptism by fire and can keep going. Tall order

I was referring to the fact that Suter is now there and should help.
Sometimes you have to connect the dots.
Minnesota defensemen above the age of 23:
Suter (#1 on the depth chart)
Tom Gilbert (#2-3 on the depth chart - arguably a bit high)
Nate Prosser (#6 on the depth chart)
Clayton Stoner (#7 on the depth chart)

Minnesota is still going to be leaning pretty heavily on Spurgeon and Scandella at a minimum. Both of them are 22. They still got issues over there.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Minnesota is still going to be leaning pretty heavily on Spurgeon and Scandella at a minimum. Both of them are 22. They still got issues over there.
This made me realize that we only have one defensive spot that is likely to be filled by a young player (#5/6). I feel pretty good about that.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
This made me realize that we only have one defensive spot that is likely to be filled by a young player (#5/6). I feel pretty good about that.
You assuming Aucoin is a regular on the third line? I'm not so sure about that- He could be with Moore & Murray splitting 40 apiece.
Or he could play less and sometimes The M&Mers go it alone.

We'll see.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
You assuming Aucoin is a regular on the third line? I'm not so sure about that- He could be with Moore & Murray splitting 40 apiece.
Or he could play less and sometimes The M&Mers go it alone.

We'll see.
I would fully expect that the M&Mers will "go it alone" for some number of games. The biggest question is injuries. There will be some, and some games in the top four missed, which will shuffle the pairings. Look for Savard, Weber, Holden or Prout to spend some time with the CBJ as well.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I would fully expect that the M&Mers will "go it alone" for some number of games. The biggest question is injuries. There will be some, and some games in the top four missed, which will shuffle the pairings. Look for Savard, Weber, Holden or Prout to spend some time with the CBJ as well.
I think Goloubef will spend significant time in Columbus if we have severe injuries

Old
07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
This would be a large part of why I'm so bullish about our blueline, particularly versus those of, say, Detroit and Nashville.

And yes, I do think Aucoin will be around for a healthy portion of the season.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I think Goloubef will spend significant time in Columbus if we have severe injuries
If we go that far the injuries are indeed severe, and the CBJ are in a lot of trouble.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Sorry, my capacity for bad puns is at an all time low at the moment.

Minnesota defensemen above the age of 23:
Suter (#1 on the depth chart)
Tom Gilbert (#2-3 on the depth chart - arguably a bit high)
Nate Prosser (#6 on the depth chart)
Clayton Stoner (#7 on the depth chart)

Had to jump in and mention Jared Spurgeon here. He's a guy that, if he were 3/4 inches taller, would have been a top-10 pick in the NHL draft, without a doubt. Honestly the smartest player I can ever recall seeing in the Western Hockey League, and I really think he's going to be a standout player for the Wild; especially if it's in a #3/4 role behind guys like Ryan Suter.

Even though he's only 22, he plays the game smart and beyond his years. It's just too bad he's so small.

Minnesota isn't a Cup contender yet, but with the core group they've put together, they aren't very far away.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
candyman82

Quote:
This would be a large part of why I'm so bullish about our blueline, particularly versus those of, say, Detroit and Nashville.

I'm hoping for another Vinny, a guy expected to play 60 games who plays all 82.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Our defense corps:

First pair: Jack Johnson/James Wisniewski
Dangerous for all the right reasons, or all the wrong reasons? I'm not keen on Wiz being on the top pair, but who else fits in there?
Second pair: Fedor Tyutin/Nikita Nikitin
I'm hoping this pair works out, and on paper it should.
Third pair: John Moore/Adrian Aucoin
Since Moore played full-time last year, I'll pencil him in here ... but, if Savard, Murray, Prout, Goloubef, or Holden have solid camps, any of them are wildcards that could push either or both of these guys down the depth chart.

I like the idea of having three right hand shots in the lineup, so Savard, Prout, or Goloubef are all good bets to have as a #7 guy. Ryan Murray is the real wildcard here - I've seen him enough to know that he will be very hard to cut from this team, and could really go either way - we could see him playing 20+ minutes a night as a rookie, or we could see him sent back to the WHL to further hone his offensive game. Either way, I don't think it will harm his development. The worst thing we can do is to play him in a #7/depth kind of role and have him in the press box most nights.

I really like our defense corps. We have a decent top three, and some intriguing pieces behind them that should at least help bring our goals against down.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Had to jump in and mention Jared Spurgeon here. He's a guy that, if he were 3/4 inches taller, would have been a top-10 pick in the NHL draft, without a doubt. Honestly the smartest player I can ever recall seeing in the Western Hockey League, and I really think he's going to be a standout player for the Wild; especially if it's in a #3/4 role behind guys like Ryan Suter.

Even though he's only 22, he plays the game smart and beyond his years. It's just too bad he's so small.

Minnesota isn't a Cup contender yet, but with the core group they've put together, they aren't very far away.
I like what I've heard about Spurgeon too, but I suspect he'll be playing on the top pairing so Gilbert can "cover for" Scandella. Which is very much like what Nashville is looking at in a Weber stays scenario (Weber-Josi, Klein-Blum, et cetera) - yeah, the kid is awesome, but he's still a kid and so question marks still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Second pair: Fedor Tyutin/Nikita Nikitin
I'm hoping this pair works out, and on paper it should.
Heck, it already has worked out using the best possible metric - on the ice, with the pressure on and getting all the ugly minutes.

I'm not all that concerned with Tyutin-Nikitin.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I'm hoping for another Vinny, a guy expected to play 60 games who plays all 82.
If we get anything like we got out of Vinny in offense, participation, and general locker room badass out of Aucoin on the blueline, I will be THRILLED TO DEATH.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

i think we see a 3 headed rotation of Moore/Aucoin/Murray so that everyone is getting PT and Aucoin stays healthy and rested...we can limit the last pairing TOI as needed as well

Old
07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i think we see a 3 headed rotation of Moore/Aucoin/Murray so that everyone is getting PT and Aucoin stays healthy and rested...we can limit the last pairing TOI as needed as well
I would rather see Moore get first pairing minutes in Springfield.

Who do people here see at our number seven? I have a feeling it'll end up being Holden

Old
07-22-2012, 02:44 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:

Who do people here see at our number seven? I have a feeling it'll end up being Holden
I think Moore and Murray as the 7. Both make the team and rotate in and out of the lineup with each other playing with Aucoin.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:49 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I think Moore and Murray as the 7. Both make the team and rotate in and out of the lineup with each other playing with Aucoin.
Based on history, I think you are right. I also agree with the above posters who advocate making sure Murray, if he sticks, plays. No extensive press box stints for him please.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

I agree and am bullish as well about the blue line.

I disagree however about Aucoin. I have a hunch he'll be more like Moreau, and less like Prospal...hoping I'm wrong though.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
redsfanhere*

guys 1st time post but i was curious what happens when we get a good defenseman like delzotto from rangers when rick goes there. i would think our lineup might be

wiz-johnson
tyutin-nikitin
delzotto-aucoin

Old
07-22-2012, 07:49 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

This is what *I* like most about our blue line: DEPTH. I subscribe to the theory that to be successful, an NHL team must have NINE NHL-capable blue liners to deal with the inevitable injuries at that position.

For the sake of discussion, let's say Moore is our number 6.

I see Murray as the 7, Savard as the 8, and either Goloubef or Holden as the 9. I've always been a bit bullish on Holden, and will continue to be assuming he bounces back from last season's injuries this year.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockettys View Post
guys 1st time post but i was curious what happens when we get a good defenseman like delzotto from rangers when rick goes there. i would think our lineup might be

wiz-johnson
tyutin-nikitin
delzotto-aucoin
if we take a top 4 dman back, either that person or wiz gets moved IMO

Old
07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockettys View Post

wiz-johnson
tyutin-nikitin
delzotto-aucoin
I think the decision was probably made at the draft that, if Rick Nash is traded, we will be targeting primarily forwards. Once we drafted Ryan Murray, our blueline was suddenly stacked with young talent ... to acquire a guy like del Zotto at this point would be overkill, IMO. If we get a defenseman in a trade for Nash, I think it has to be a young prospect (likely not in the NHL), and that a forward(s) have to be the primary return.

Just my thoughts

Old
07-23-2012, 09:42 AM
EspenK

From the NY Post

Larry Brooks reports if the Flyers sign Weber, the Rangers could use a big power-forward like Rick Nash, but they’re unwilling to part with center Derek Stepan, who the Blue Jackets apparently want as part of the return…Brooks also noted Shane Doan’s meeting with Rangers management, claiming “It isn’t either Doan or Nash for the Rangers. It is, on Sather’s Blueprint, Doan and Nash.”

Wowsa!

Lets assume Sather gets Doan. He now sets his sights on Nash. He can now afford to give a bit more and maybe parts with Stepan and Hagelin & Dubinsky. One can only hope.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
From the NY Post

Larry Brooks reports if the Flyers sign Weber, the Rangers could use a big power-forward like Rick Nash, but they’re unwilling to part with center Derek Stepan, who the Blue Jackets apparently want as part of the return…Brooks also noted Shane Doan’s meeting with Rangers management, claiming “It isn’t either Doan or Nash for the Rangers. It is, on Sather’s Blueprint, Doan and Nash.”

Wowsa!

Lets assume Sather gets Doan. He now sets his sights on Nash. He can now afford to give a bit more and maybe parts with Stepan and Hagelin & Dubinsky. One can only hope.
Hmm, that makes me nervous. One hand they can replace Stepan (or Kreider) and put them in the trade for Nash because Doan is coming to town. On the other hand they could lower their offer since they don't need Nash as much anymore

On the other hand they miss out on Doan and Semin signs to Pittsburgh. Then they become desperate on offense and need Nash more. Without someone to replace Stepan, who's going to replace him? But they could also trade for Bobby Ryan.

Going to be a big next few days. This should pick up after Doan inks.

Closed Thread