HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need tips on custom skates

Old
07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
esidebill

vCash: 500
Need tips on custom skates

So in the future I was looking into custom fit skates just for my feet. Ideally, who offers the best customization to make sure the length, width, volume, shape etc is exact and how hard is the process?

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
So in the future I was looking into custom fit skates just for my feet. Ideally, who offers the best customization to make sure the length, width, volume, shape etc is exact and how hard is the process?
bauer will likely be your best bet as far as range of customization options. the most important thing, though, is finding an experienced fitter doing the custom work as the process is very intricate.
being in long island, i highly recommend taking the trip out to the ice house pro shop in hackensack, nj. peter has been doing custom bauers for a VERY long time...as a disclaimer, i have no affiliation with them.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:35 PM
SkateThroughIt

The simplest way to go would be grafs or the mario lemiuex (MLX) skates.

I don't think Bauer, Reebok, Easton, CCM offer that unless your pro. I've always bought skates that felt good. Baked them once and it took down wear. I'll never do it again.
I don't know of any services like that in chicagoland so I'm no help. Definitely check out MLX though.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOway57 View Post

I don't think Bauer, Reebok, Easton, CCM offer that unless your pro. I've always bought skates that felt good. Baked them once and it took down wear. I'll never do it again.
I don't know of any services like that in chicagoland so I'm no help. Definitely check out MLX though.
Idk about the other companies, but Bauer and CCM definitely offer custom skates to whoever is willing to pay the price. They only offer their top of the line skates to be customized, though, so you have to be willing to spend around $800-$900... considering the shop you go to doesn't try and rip you off with some crazy up-charge. Bauer only up-charges by $100, but then it's in the shop's hands after that.

But yeah, definitely go to a hockey shop that has previous experience with the custom order process and can size you correctly. I think Bauer is probably the more popular choice for custom skates, too.

GRAFS are another option as they have all different kinds of fits at a retail level. But again, you'd have to go to an authorized GRAF dealer that knows what they're doing.

EDIT: And my friend got a pair of those MLX (Mario Lemieux) skates... he said they were comfortable, but they were the heaviest things both him and I ever felt... lol. They weren't pretty either.

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:58 PM
hyster110

for customs take your time and do your research. and get fitted from a pro. there is a bauer rep on modsquadhockey that has alot of information to help as well

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...-bauer-skates/

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:13 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Idk about the other companies, but Bauer and CCM definitely offer custom skates to whoever is willing to pay the price. They only offer their top of the line skates to be customized, though, so you have to be willing to spend around $800-$900... considering the shop you go to doesn't try and rip you off with some crazy up-charge. Bauer only up-charges by $100, but then it's in the shop's hands after that.

But yeah, definitely go to a hockey shop that has previous experience with the custom order process and can size you correctly. I think Bauer is probably the more popular choice for custom skates, too.

GRAFS are another option as they have all different kinds of fits at a retail level. But again, you'd have to go to an authorized GRAF dealer that knows what they're doing.

EDIT: And my friend got a pair of those MLX (Mario Lemieux) skates... he said they were comfortable, but they were the heaviest things both him and I ever felt... lol. They weren't pretty either.
Bolded point isn't necessarily true. The upcharge depends on the retailer. It should be in and around $100 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOway57 View Post

Completely untrue. Anyone can order custom skates provided they were fitted properly with a fitter and filled out the necessary paperwork.

to OP:

DO note that you are a nobody. Your custom skates will never ever take priority over anyone playing the pros or even major junior. Bauer has one factory in Quebec that makes their custom skates for every order. Don't be surprised if it take longer than anticipated, especially if you'll be ordering between early August to well into next season.

Bauer offers custom on NXG, APX and soon Nexus 1000. There are the same amount of custom options (more or less) between all brands but Bauer has 3 base boots to customize alone.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Bolded point isn't necessarily true. The upcharge depends on the retailer. It should be in and around $100 though.

Completely untrue. Anyone can order custom skates provided they were fitted properly with a fitter and filled out the necessary paperwork.

to OP:

DO note that you are a nobody. Your custom skates will never ever take priority over anyone playing the pros or even major junior. Bauer has one factory in Quebec that makes their custom skates for every order. Don't be surprised if it take longer than anticipated, especially if you'll be ordering between early August to well into next season.

Bauer offers custom on NXG, APX and soon Nexus 1000. There are the same amount of custom options (more or less) between all brands but Bauer has 3 base boots to customize alone.
Oh, my bad then. I thought Bauer charged the DEALER an extra 100 bucks for the customization, and then the dealer could do whatever they wanted with them. Are you saying that they just charge the dealer normal cost for a pair of custom skates?

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I would just get insoles/bake it...

Mind you never baking my skates again..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:49 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Oh, my bad then. I thought Bauer charged the DEALER an extra 100 bucks for the customization, and then the dealer could do whatever they wanted with them. Are you saying that they just charge the dealer normal cost for a pair of custom skates?
I believe so, dealers mostly upcharge on the regular retail price. I'm not sure if dealers are charged cost from the manufacturer.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
esidebill

Quote:
to OP:

So what exactly can they customize on it? What type of foot measurements should the fitter be taking?

Old
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
thedonger

Quote:
So what exactly can they customize on it? What type of foot measurements should the fitter be taking?
with bauer, you can pretty much name it. instep depth, forefoot width, heel width, length to 1/4 size, high/low vamping, extra/minus eyelet, reinforced eyelets, extra ankle padding, boot stiffness, tongue style, toe cap size/style...and those are only the things i remember off the top of my head. pretty sure there's a few more things i forgot. most of those options will change the boot fit in one way or another. that is why it is essential to have an experienced fitter do the work. it takes years to master, and any good fitter will tell you that they learn something new with every custom skate job, no matter how many years they've been doing it.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
with bauer, you can pretty much name it. instep depth, forefoot width, heel width, length to 1/4 size, high/low vamping, extra/minus eyelet, reinforced eyelets, extra ankle padding, boot stiffness, tongue style, toe cap size/style...and those are only the things i remember off the top of my head. pretty sure there's a few more things i forgot. most of those options will change the boot fit in one way or another. that is why it is essential to have an experienced fitter do the work. it takes years to master, and any good fitter will tell you that they learn something new with every custom skate job, no matter how many years they've been doing it.
And you mentioned one in Hackensack right? That's about an hour or two out... not horrible if he's a good skate fitter. I think I've seen the shop before.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
PuckHogs29

Amazing that the Ice House has a reputation for custom skate work, cause they can't sharpen a pair for ****.

I got my custom Bauers from Pre Game Pro Shop in Westwood, NJ, which apparently is no longer there unfortunately. Gary Hess did a great job. That was about 6 years ago though at this point and they're still amazing. I have seriously odd feet, and they took total care of everything with them, and for the price I couldn't have done better. So if you can swing it, definitely look into custom skates.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Amazing that the Ice House has a reputation for custom skate work, cause they can't sharpen a pair for ****.

I got my custom Bauers from Pre Game Pro Shop in Westwood, NJ, which apparently is no longer there unfortunately. Gary Hess did a great job. That was about 6 years ago though at this point and they're still amazing. I have seriously odd feet, and they took total care of everything with them, and for the price I couldn't have done better. So if you can swing it, definitely look into custom skates.
That's good to hear I haven't had luck with any skates I've ever worn.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
thedonger

Quote:
That's good to hear I haven't had luck with any skates I've ever worn.
he's confusing the kids who work there with Peter who is the actual shop manager (and does all the custom skate fittings), and doesn't do much sharpening there any more unless you request him specifically. yeah, their reputation for sharpenings isn't the best because of said kiddies, but don't confuse that with custom skate fitting.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
SkateThroughIt

My bad, I was completely unaware that these companies would do a completely custom skate. I know every company has its price. However, I stand by that shops here in chicago only bake...nothing custom.

I knew Grafs had different boots for different kinds of feet. And they would help you with that process.

Thank You for correcting me though. My apoligies to the OP

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote