HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
http://sulia.com/channel/philadelphi...source=twitter

Quote:
I had originally thought it was 50/50 #Flyers would get Shea Weber. Five days later, I'll increase the odds a bit -- to, say, 53-47. Info is slow, but it seems the Preds are considering a deal for their star RFA. We will all know in about 61 hours. I hope to be finished jury duty by then, but that's more of a longshot than Weber coming to Philly!!
Odds are going up in our favor!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 09:24 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Just under 3 days.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
FLYERMANIAA

Meltzer's Musings: "Gratton Trade" for Weber Makes Financial & Hockey Sense...Im sure you guys have read this...pretty much what we have been talking and proposing all weekend...interesting read...

honestly i guess we have run around this tree so many times... there no more to be said but SOMEBODY PUSH THE BUTTON AND MAKE A MOVE!!!...oh yeah...Go Flyers...

Last edited by SnS: 07-23-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 AM
mdm815

At this point I dont want to risk losing him. I also think it would be wise to make a hockey move so that you don't cripple another franchise. At this point its all about NSH saving face, so I propose a trade of Mesz and Voracek (like most have said), plus a second and third round pick for our 2014 1st, plus our choice of another 1st rounder back ( as in each year at the draft, we can decide if we want to opt for that pick). That way we secure Weber far under market value, but Poile can rest a little easier feeling like a hockey move was made. It would shake out to Weber for Voracek, Meszaros, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, and 2 firsts.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERMANIAA View Post
Meltzer's Musings: "Gratton Trade" for Weber Makes Financial & Hockey Sense...Im sure you guys have read this...pretty much what we have been talking and proposing all weekend...interesting read...
Yeah it was a decent argument but I'm still in favor of playing hardball....high risk ..high reward just seems a very good possibility in this instance but that's just my gut feeling.

To me Nashville just can't afford it and we shouldn't do them any favors but it's not completley unreasonable to work out a deal with the players mentioned which does not include Couts or Schenn which was the whole impetus behind the offer sheet in the first place. Losing Jake would suck but we can plug that hole somewhere down the line.

Hate the Gratton trade analogy b/c Gratton turned out to be massively overrated....thanks to Clarkie. At least Holmgren is shelling out big money for a more proven commodity.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I will survive as well.....Couts and B Schenn must remain ..even at Weber's cost. Getting a franchise D man is definitely no easy task but neither is acquiring franchise centers. I expect Couts to be one very soon and B Schenn is on the same trajectory in my books.
So lemme get this straight , if Polie wanted Brayden Schenn (who's played basically half a season), Gus and a couple of Draft picks in exchange for the arguably the best D-man right now in the entire NHL entering his prime years you wouldnt make that trade? Schenn's going before Couts is if it had to be one of them

Old
07-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Fresh34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
So lemme get this straight , if Polie wanted Brayden Schenn (who's played basically half a season), Gus and a couple of Draft picks in exchange for the arguably the best D-man right now in the entire NHL entering his prime years you wouldnt make that trade? Schenn's going before Couts is if it had to be one of them
Not when you don't have to. Nashville has no leverage, so no point in offering up one of the best under-21 guys in hockey.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:56 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Nashville agrees not to match the offer sheet and receives the Flyers' 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 first round picks.

* Nashville keeps the 2013 pick, but immediately returns the other three to Philadelphia to receive Jakub Voracek, Andrej Meszaros, and a choice of Marc-Andre Bourdon or Erik Gustafsson in exchange.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...Sense/45/45734

I could live with this deal if it happen and we dont give up schenn or cooter..

Old
07-23-2012, 10:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...Sense/45/45734

I could live with this deal if it happen and we dont give up schenn or cooter..
I could as well as long as we're signing Doan.

Otherwise I feel extremely uncomfortable trading Voracek.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
No and again Holmgren made the offer precisely b/c Schenn and Couts are going nowhere so it's a moot point. Those two are staying and would no way offer either up when Poile is clearly at a disadvantage and has to accept lesser players if we work a deal with him which seems likely even though I want to call his bluff..

Old
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
No and again Holmgren made the offer precisely b/c Schenn and Couts are going nowhere so it's a moot point. Those two are staying and would no way offer either up when Poile is clearly at a disadvantage and has to accept lesser players if we work a deal with him which seems likely even though I want to call his bluff..
I get what you're saying with the whole "I wanna call his bluff and not if I dont have to " but what if it was just say , a straight up trade , that had to happen in order to get Weber... then ya gotta do it right? I know I would. Weber's a sure thing , proven , Schenn isnt a sure thing just quite yet .

Old
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I get what you're saying with the whole "I wanna call his bluff and not if I dont have to " but what if it was just say , a straight up trade , that had to happen in order to get Weber... then ya gotta do it right? I know I would. Weber's a sure thing , proven , Schenn isnt a sure thing just quite yet .
The acquisition of LSchenn complicates matters I think.

I would've done BSChenn + assets for Weber had we never traded JVR.

Now, I don't want to move both because it's so much value, meanwhile it does not seem feasible to split them.

Couturier, unless it's straight up, is a no-go. That said, I think the organization is in love with him.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
FadeToBlack

The less conversation there is between DP and PH means there is a greater chance NSH matches, IMHO. If they can't match... wouldn't DP be trying to get as much out of PH as possible? I think it's something like 25% chance we end up with him at this point.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
The less conversation there is between DP and PH means there is a greater chance NSH matches, IMHO. If they can't match... wouldn't DP be trying to get as much out of PH as possible.
I believe that talks will pick up either today or more likely tomorrow. If they do, that means that they most likely are working on a trade. If they don't talk more frequently, I won't say that means they match, but it excludes the trade scenario.

Let's not forget Weber was on the block for two weeks and Weber's agent said he doesn't want to play there because they are in a rebuild mode. These have to be factored into the equation.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
flyersfromquebec

If you consider weber is a flyers for 3 picks and mez what about what nashville can do....Nash would be the same cap hit without the frontloaded money so you think nashville is thinking about trade asset with 2 first (nashville pick and they keep the flyers one) and another player or 2 for nash. Then they have a new captain reach cap floor and save their face...so the trade would look like weber vs mez nash and a 1st for the fans ....What do you think???

Old
07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
The less conversation there is between DP and PH means there is a greater chance NSH matches, IMHO. If they can't match... wouldn't DP be trying to get as much out of PH as possible? I think it's something like 25% chance we end up with him at this point.
depends on went on in that one phone discussion. Maybe they did discuss something and Holmgren or Piole are thinking it over. The closer we get to the deadline without Nashville matching the better the chance discussions start heating up. of course Nashville could very well have the intention of matching but are going to make the Flyers sweat until 11:29 PM on Wednesday.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I could as well as long as we're signing Doan.

Otherwise I feel extremely uncomfortable trading Voracek.
I just hope it's not the 4 year $30mil that's been reported. He's not worth that kind of money.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Yes, but the counter is that they haven't matched yet and we're 5 days in. There's a pretty strong disincentive to not at least make a statement of your intent to match. They wouldn't even officially need to file the paperwork and could still tie up the Flyers by not officially processing the match.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
goodrev

I honestly would work the deal to not include mez. He is a beast and would fill out our top 6. if we trade him we come back to 5 great to good defenders and a serviceable player from the minors filling. I understand that Nash would likely want to get a Dman in return to account for their loss, but I feel like everyone is so eager to toss out Mez when if anything we have all the leverage in this situation and the capability to force their hand.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Guys, The whole reason we have the offersheet is because poile was playing hardball in the first place. He brought this on himself

Old
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Guys, The whole reason we have the offersheet is because poile was playing hardball in the first place. He brought this on himself
Ridiculous comment. I think he has every right to play hardball for the best defenseman in the league. I'm sure you'd want the Flyers to ask for the moon if they were trading him.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
or it just means poile knows homers best offer, they had been talking alot previously. It's not like poile is calling homer every day saying "you sure you won't trade couts/schenn?"

People may not like homer/clarke for stuff like overpaying shelley or hyka. But the guy is always aggressive and often innovative. As a whole, he a good GM. IF Emery doesn't have a bum hip, he already has a cup.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
FadeToBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Ridiculous comment. I think he has every right to play hardball for the best defenseman in the league. I'm sure you'd want the Flyers to ask for the moon if they were trading him.
You're right.

He brought this on himself by pissing off Weber by lowballing him in arbitration last year. Weber wouldn't have signed the offer sheet if he thought he would get what he was worth from NSH.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM
FLYERMANIAA

Guys...really the predators have to accept the offer...if they choose to keep him it set them back for years to come...IMO...

Old
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
flyersfromquebec

The problem is if nash match they offer I dont think any flyers fan would be like...oh well too bad it was a great try...no they wont they will be pissed by the fact they saw the possibility of having the best RH physical Dman in the nhl in weber making their team instant cup contended

Closed Thread