HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Whats the deal with ennis?

Old
07-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You are right, other teams probably think he is horrible after finishing his 2nd season with 29 points in 33 games. Who would want that kind of production from a 22 year old?
So you'd offersheet a guy because of a 33 game sample size? Any team that offers him more than 3.5 mil per, will regret it down the line.

Aaron Voros lead the league in scoring a few years ago, maybe we should try and get him.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Cappie2k2

When ennis is signed is anyones guess but i think terms would be 3 years nearly 11mill or 4years 13mill range

Cappie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
My best guess is a 3 yr/9M deal.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappie2k2 View Post
When ennis is signed is anyones guess but i think terms would be 3 years nearly 11mill or 4years 13mill range
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
My best guess is a 3 yr/9M deal.
Regier's recent admission that he didn't think Ennis' deal would be of the "long-term" variety - along with an expectation borne from common sense of his wanting to avoid any other expiring contracts in 2014 when Miller, Vanek and Pominville are up for renewal - makes me firmly believe Ennis gets a 3 year term, no more or no less.

However, I don't think Ennis has enough leverage to seek the big bucks. My hunch is that the two sides will end up at a $2.0M / $2.5M / $2.5M structured contract with $2.33M cap hit.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Tyler2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Regier's recent admission that he didn't think Ennis' deal would be of the "long-term" variety - along with an expectation borne from common sense of his wanting to avoid any other expiring contracts in 2014 when Miller, Vanek and Pominville are up for renewal - makes me firmly believe Ennis gets a 3 year term, no more or no less.

However, I don't think Ennis has enough leverage to seek the big bucks. My hunch is that the two sides will end up at a $2.0M / $2.5M / $2.5M structured contract with $2.33M cap hit.
I think a 3yr deal works out best since he'll still be RFA when the deal expires. I think that plays a large part as well. Although, that could all change with the new CBA. But I don't see them lowering the UFA age/yrs, but you never know.

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Girgenburger

I don't like Regier's thought process on the Ennis situation. He needs to be locked up long term now or we're going to run into some real problems in 2 or 3 years.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:35 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I don't like Regier's thought process on the Ennis situation. He needs to be locked up long term now or we're going to run into some real problems in 2 or 3 years.
I highly doubt Ennis' agent would advise Tyler to sign a long-term contract at this stage of his career unless the money was ridiculous. Regier won't give him ridiculous money, nor should he.

Coming off an injury-plagued season, it's probably in Ennis' best interest to play out a two or three year deal (on 2.5-3m salary) and cash in thereafter.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I highly doubt Ennis' agent would advise Tyler to sign a long-term contract at this stage of his career unless the money was ridiculous. Regier won't give him ridiculous money, nor should he.

Coming off an injury-plagued season, it's probably in Ennis' best interest to play out a two or three year deal (on 2.5-3m salary) and cash in thereafter.
I don't see why they don't just give him a Roy-esque contract now.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Because it wouldn't eat up very many UFA years and would let him test the market as soon as that deal expired.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Because Roy himself didn't get a Roy-esque contract at the same stage in his career.

Even after his damn good showing in 05-06 playoffs, he only accepted his Qualifying Offer in the 2006 offseason (2nd contract).

It was only after a 63pt year that he got the Roy-esque contract.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:03 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Because it wouldn't eat up very many UFA years and would let him test the market as soon as that deal expired.
This.

You sign him to a second contract that keep him RFA, then you can sign him to a longer term contract then and be assured of keeping him.

IMO you only give those long term second-contracts when it's a franchise player. They identified Myers as that guy (and I don't blame them one bit). Ennis is not Myers...not yet.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I think he's proven enough to be signed long term. It would be a good feeling to know that his talents would be kept in the fold for 6 years (mirroring Roy's contract; not that it matters, just a comparison) He will undoubtedly be an exciting player to watch for years to come and if we offered him 4 mill/yr now we'd reap the benefits of his cheap contract for a considerable amount of time. That'll give Darcy much more money to surround him with talent. A lot can happen in the next 6 years so hopefully when he finally has the chance to test UFA he'll have some degree of loyalty to the city of Buffalo and re-sign.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Imlach a cup

Son I remember a day where 33 games played meant you still had to fill the teams water bottles. Now apparently it means you are a lock to have at least 1 90pnt season and a 10 year deal.

I like him too but gee wiz someone thinks he's on the verge of a 90 pnt season and other people are convinced it's time to lock him up long term. Part of having daddy warbucks as your owner is that people can't poach your players. 3 years 9 mil if he keeps producing then he gets a big contract. None of that roster is walking away from Buffalo any time soon. There's money, facilities, stability and they look to be on the verge of cup contention. Step back from the edge, Ennis won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
zbubble

There was some Twitter buzz yesterday that Ennis had signed. But, I can't seem to confirm that by any reputable source. Beat me with a wet noodle if necessary.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Shmuffalo
Blue's Fan since '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
There was some Twitter buzz yesterday that Ennis had signed. But, I can't seem to confirm that by any reputable source. Beat me with a wet noodle if necessary.
Just a bunch of "insiders" looking to break news first. Until I hear anything from the team, or at least a credible source, I'll dismiss it. #whowantsit

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
The source of that was the current flavor of the week rumor account. I unfollowed 9 people for retweeting that knob. :p

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The source of that was the current flavor of the week rumor account. I unfollowed 9 people for retweeting that knob. :p
lol..I didn't even see that rumor RT'ed anywhere on my feed, but I sure saw a lot of real hockey news guys spewing grief over it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
Just a bunch of "insiders" looking to break news first. Until I hear anything from the team, or at least a credible source, I'll dismiss it. #whowantsit
This is actually a pretty good litmus test for the guy. I remember when Myers signed his ELC, it wasn't announced for a few days, so these things do happen. If nothing is announced within the next few days, or somebody else is announced by the club first, it means he was just throwing it at the wall and hoping it stuck.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
This is actually a pretty good litmus test for the guy. I remember when Myers signed his ELC, it wasn't announced for a few days, so these things do happen. If nothing is announced within the next few days, or somebody else is announced by the club first, it means he was just throwing it at the wall and hoping it stuck.
IMO it's not a good litmus test, because even if it turns out to be something that happens it does not indicate the individual wasn't throwing it at the wall and hoping it stuck, as indeed it may have just stuck.

The better test is to only keep track of how many times a person is wrong. If it's more than a few then they're almost certainly a fake.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If you spend more than 30 seconds reading his stuff, he has a worse hit rate than Ek.

THAT'S difficult to do.

It never ceases to amaze me how people enjoy consuming information from sources that are clearly random made up junk. He wants to drive up his followers so he can launch a website that he can try and make money from. It's painfully transparent.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:17 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
IMO it's not a good litmus test, because even if it turns out to be something that happens it does not indicate the individual wasn't throwing it at the wall and hoping it stuck, as indeed it may have just stuck.

The better test is to only keep track of how many times a person is wrong. If it's more than a few then they're almost certainly a fake.
If the Sabres come out and say that they've signed Kaleta with no word on Ennis, he's is 100% a fraud. If he's right, it doesn't prove he has sources, but he's still in the game. He can only prove himself to be fraudulant in this case, and there is no room for speculation like 95% of his tweets. That is why find this to be a good test.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If the Sabres come out and say that they've signed Kaleta with no word on Ennis, he's is 100% a fraud. If he's right, it doesn't prove he has sources, but he's still in the game. He can only prove himself to be fraudulant in this case, and there is no room for speculation like 95% of his tweets. That is why find this to be a good test.
And this is why garbage rumor sites flourish. He's already proven himself to be fraudulent. He 'confirmed' that Parise SIGNED A DEAL with the Penguins. Didn't allude to it. Didn't hint at it. 'CONFIRMED' it.

Even though that's happened, people want to give the guy another chance. However, if a mainstream reporter pulled that, they'd never work again.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:36 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

No matter when he signs, I want Ennis to be a Sabre for life.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
#CONFIRMED

That he is a knob.

TakeThatTootoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
#CONFIRMED

That he is a knob.