HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa signs Kaspars Daugavins to a one year, one-way contract.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Rumcajs

vCash: 500
Finally. This guy is so underrated here. He showed promise and was robbed 90 percent of the time.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
nope. you fail to reach the floor, penalties ensue.
Also, and I might be wrong here, but I believe that if you finish the season under the cap, each player on the roster gets a "season bonus" that reflects the fact that the league forces their salaries up in order to meet the cap floor.

For instance, if the Sens finish $1 mil under the cap floor at the end of the year, each player on the 20-man roster gets an extra $50k in salary for that season, to reflect the fact that the Sens SHOULD have spent the $1 mil on player salaries in the first place.

So, even if you finish the year under the cap, the players get the money anyways.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Finally. This guy is so underrated here. He showed promise and was robbed 90 percent of the time.
He's a run of the mill 4th liner and I'm not sure what kind of upside he has, beyond whatever he can gain by experience and savvy. He can probably play in the league as long as he's willing or able to get infront of shots and kill penalties.

If he isn't replaced in Ottawa soon then I would assume things are not going to plan with prospects. I'll be looking for Silfverberg and Hoffman to seriously give Daugavins a run at LW.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Butler came to camp last year in disgusting shape and apparently never really got over it. He's the guy who will either break through and make the roster in a top 6 role, surprising everyone... or he'll get dealt. They're giving him one last chance to show commitment, me thinks.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:55 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Assuming Alfredsson retires, I think this team relies more on Butler than many here would like to admit.
1) Alfie is not retiring.
2) Nobody relies on Butler for anything.

He's already an afterthought.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
1) Alfie is not retiring.
2) Nobody relies on Butler for anything.

He's already an afterthought.
1) If we lose a season due to a lockout he might.
2) He was awful last year(out of shape) but he'll get a shot in training camp like everyone else. I'm sure he knows where he stands.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:28 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't think there is any issue contentious enough for a lockout or a strike to happen.

What do they have to do? Argue over how to split the pie, and make more attempts to save the owners from themselves, which they will find new ways around.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Butler came to camp last year in disgusting shape and apparently never really got over it. He's the guy who will either break through and make the roster in a top 6 role, surprising everyone... or he'll get dealt. They're giving him one last chance to show commitment, me thinks.
This doesn't exactly inspire me to re-evaluate my impression of him as a player, haha...

He'll get a chance, just like everyone else in camp. I just have very serious doubts he'll make much of it. I'll be the first one to recant my views if he shows up and looks like a real player.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Good for competition in camp, injury replacement depth or trade bait. No reason to dislike this signing. If a promising rook earns a spot, Murray will make sure that K-Daug is not blocking the way. But he's a nice option.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
source

<generic ignorant comment we see every time a depth signing is made>

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

When they qualified him we knew this was going to happen. He's a good candidate to be the 13th forward.

Maybe I undervalue him but I doubt any team gives a pick for him, at least not until deadline day to a desperate and injury ridden team. He'll be waived once he's passed by other youth players. Only situation I see him getting any kind of return is if we take back another contract from another team. Likely a D in a similar situation. I believe there will be teams willing to take him off waivers though. Not many teams have this depth "problem".

Anyways, not much to see here. Management wants to keep camp competitive and the youngins will have to beat out the likes of Daugavins and Butler to make the squad. We'll want either Condra or Daug in the line up on most nights for the PK.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
This doesn't exactly inspire me to re-evaluate my impression of him as a player, haha...

He'll get a chance, just like everyone else in <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">camp</a>. I just have very serious doubts he'll make much of it. I'll be the first one to recant my views if he shows up and looks like a real player.
Yeah the way I see it is he won't make the team unless he seriously adjusted his attitude, and he might make the team if he did. Last year he could have easily solidified himself as a regular but this year it will be much, much more difficult. From what I've heard they had a pretty harsh exit interview with Da Boobby.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
KarlSen

Pre-season it always looks like the line-up is to crowded, but there is always at least one guy out with an injury.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I am not sure they are gonna put Zibanejad in this year. I know Paulrus liked him and all, but it is just a hunch.

Even after JOB ad Daug, we are $2,991,667 below the floor.
So if Alfie retires (unlikely, I know), we're at $8M under the cap floor? How on earth do we fix that considering our lineup is already over-crowded, and all our RFA's are signed...

This is absurd, I would have never imaged that we would end up so far under the cap floor.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
So if Alfie retires (unlikely, I know), we're at $8M under the cap floor? How on earth do we fix that considering our lineup is already over-crowded, and all our RFA's are signed...

This is absurd, I would have never imaged that we would end up so far under the cap floor.
Because Alfie signed after turning 35, the cap hit will apply whether he plays or retires.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Because Alfie signed after turning 35, the cap hit will apply whether he plays or retires.
Ah yes, I forgot about that... Weird how having a 35+ contract is seen as a positive thing in this regard, and not negative...

But even the $3M, how do we fix that? Trade? We don't have room to add free agents.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Ah yes, I forgot about that... Weird how having a 35+ contract is seen as a positive thing in this regard, and not negative...

But even the $3M, how do we fix that? Trade? We don't have room to add free agents.
There are still technically 2 more roster spots that the Sens could use to put their full roster at 23 (which they generally carried last season). Presumably, Borowiecki, Wiercioch or maybe Benoit would be added as the 7th defenseman and they will almost assuredly break camp with 1 of Silfverberg, Zibanejad or Stone who are not included in that amount currently.

The other question about the floor is whether teams need to be at it right when the season starts or to simply reach it through the course of the season. Team cap hits inflate during the season because of all of the injury callups etc so the Sens would almost assuredly be over the floor over that time.

The question that doesn't appear to be clear is whether a team needs to be at the floor on Day 1 of the season or not. If so, then yeah, they'll probably have to make an additional move. It doesn't however, need to be a big one as they'll be pretty close to the floor when all is said and done.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
There are still technically 2 more roster spots that the Sens could use to put their full roster at 23 (which they generally carried last season). Presumably, Borowiecki, Wiercioch or maybe Benoit would be added as the 7th defenseman and they will almost assuredly break camp with 1 of Silfverberg, Zibanejad or Stone who are not included in that amount currently.

The other question about the floor is whether teams need to be at it right when the season starts or to simply reach it through the course of the season. Team cap hits inflate during the season because of all of the injury callups etc so the Sens would almost assuredly be over the floor over that time.

The question that doesn't appear to be clear is whether a team needs to be at the floor on Day 1 of the season or not. If so, then yeah, they'll probably have to make an additional move. It doesn't however, need to be a big one as they'll be pretty close to the floor when all is said and done.
The other question is what will happen to the cap floor as the new CBA is negotiated. It sounds likely that it will either drop or be eliminated. That could be what Murray et al. are expecting.

Using the two remaining spaces with the players that have the HIGHEST cap numbers leaves the Sens at $54,059,167, just under the floor. And they'd have 15 forwards and only 6 defense. That's not going to happen.

Options:
1.) Trade
2.) Cap Floor is lowered via negotiations
3.) Buyout/re-sign Alfie
4.) We're all reading the cap floor rules incorrectly and it doesn't matter. The only penalties that I've found are that the team is charged by the NHL to pay the difference out as bonuses to all the players. Big woop, especially given the amounts we're talking about.

To me, option 3 is most likely.

kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
The other question is what will happen to the cap floor as the new CBA is negotiated. It sounds likely that it will either drop or be eliminated. That could be what Murray et al. are expecting.

Using the two remaining spaces with the players that have the HIGHEST cap numbers leaves the Sens at $54,059,167, just under the floor. And they'd have 15 forwards and only 6 defense. That's not going to happen.

Options:
1.) Trade
2.) Cap Floor is lowered via negotiations
3.) Buyout/re-sign Alfie
4.) We're all reading the cap floor rules incorrectly and it doesn't matter. The only penalties that I've found are that the team is charged by the NHL to pay the difference out as bonuses to all the players. Big woop, especially given the amounts we're talking about.

To me, option 3 is most likely.
I'm fairly certain that as long as the league and union are working under the current CBA, this is specifically prohibited. We got away with it last time because we did it before the most recent CBA took effect.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that as long as the league and union are working under the current CBA, this is specifically prohibited. We got away with it last time because we did it before the most recent CBA took effect.
correct. Not allowed to do that anymore. If you buy out a player, you cannot reign him for 1 year. Not sure if calendar or seasonal.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
If they don't make the bonuses I think it gets added to next year's cap, doesn't it?
Quote:
Uhhh...No. The new CBA was in effect. What happened was, that Alfie had a contract with options in it that was signed prior to the new CBA and got grandfathered. Since those types of contracts were no longer allowed, there was nothing in the CBA about how to handle such a contract.

When Alfie's contract was set to expre, the options were still in play. The Sens and Alfie decided to "buy out" the options in the contract and extend ALfie a new contract. This required that both the NHL and the NHLPA agree to treat the option buyouts as a buyout for cap calculations. There were no other players with options in their contracts so this was the first and last time it was done.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
Uhhh...No. The new CBA was in effect. What happened was, that Alfie had a contract with options in it that was signed prior to the new CBA and got grandfathered. Since those types of contracts were no longer allowed, there was nothing in the CBA about how to handle such a contract.

When Alfie's contract was set to expre, the options were still in play. The Sens and Alfie decided to "buy out" the options in the contract and extend ALfie a new contract. This required that both the NHL and the NHLPA agree to treat the option buyouts as a buyout for cap calculations. There were no other players with options in their contracts so this was the first and last time it was done.
Ah, right. I knew it was something like that. I did say "fairly certain", didn't I?

Old
07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Hale The Villain

Decent 4th line stop gap.

Not sure he has much potential beyond that. I think if I'm Murray I look to replace him over the season with someone much tougher, someone who can fight heavyweights and not look out of place.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO he will play in the fourth line or trade because he wouldnt be clean waiver IMO. Why the fourth:

Greening/Latendresse--Spezza--Michalek
Silfverberg--Turris--Alfredsson
Greening/Latendresse--Smith--Condra/Zibanejad/Stone

IMO he is better than Condra but IMO MacLean will prefer him.

EDIT: I forgot Neil and Regin, so it is whorse for Kaspars.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote