HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
The problem is, if you don't match, then there may be worse financial ramifications than if you do match.

There will simply be no reason to support this franchise anymore. This is a team that's really not trying to win. What's going to get people into Bridgestone for the next 5 years? Even worse - even if you do hit a homerun with those picks, then how can you get the fans to buy in again if you do become good, you've got the rep that those players will just leave as soon as they can.

This is where being a cheapskate franchise for so long has come back to bite us. By itself, folks might be able to stomach the Weber situation. But by being cheap for so long , people are just going to throw up there hands and say, "why bother" - this might be the straw that broke the camel's back.
and, if the preds do match they may go out and not "spend to the cap" on other players (why we are here in the first place). Fans will leave if the team doesn't improve...they need more than just weber.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Honest question from an Oiler fan. With the contract structured the way it is, does the Nashville ownership have the financial ability to pay the outrageous amount in the first few years? The Oilers make a good profit and I am not sure they would match that. Most franchises would be in real danger of going bankrupt with that kind of cash commitment. I agree that Nashville has to keep him to show players confidence in their commitment, but that is a sobering amount to commit to. The picks will be crap though. Those bonuses really screwed you guys over IMHO. Dirty pool so to speak. I hope you guys find a way to keep him and that he is happy to stay.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Just to throw a new curve in there (because the rest have been exhausted), does Nash to NY put some pressure on Holmgren to make sure they get Weber now?

Old
07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
and, if the preds do match they may go out and not "spend to the cap" on other players (why we are here in the first place). Fans will leave if the team doesn't improve...they need more than just weber.
How so?

We've gone exactly as far in the playoffs than the Flyers did the past 2 seasons.

We have the league's best goaltender. We had the league's #1 powerplay. We finished in the upper half of the league in offense. We've got a stacked farm system.

We lost 1 guy - Ryan Suter. A notable loss, but we also have high level defense prospects out the wazoo.

With Weber, I don't see this team as being all that much worse off than last year.

Remember, all it takes is a hot goaltender in the playoffs. I'd put my money on Rinne any day.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
How so?

We've gone exactly as far in the playoffs than the Flyers did the past 2 seasons.

We have the league's best goaltender. We had the league's #1 powerplay. We finished in the upper half of the league in offense. We've got a stacked farm system.

We lost 1 guy - Ryan Suter. A notable loss, but we also have high level defense prospects out the wazoo.

With Weber, I don't see this team as being all that much worse off than last year.

Remember, all it takes is a hot goaltender in the playoffs. I'd put my money on Rinne any day.
It takes much more than a hot goalie. You need forwards....Suter is a heck of a ppqb, hopefully someone can step up for you in that regard.

You will have a Nash situation on your hands with weber if the team isn't upgraded.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Honest question from an Oiler fan. With the contract structured the way it is, does the Nashville ownership have the financial ability to pay the outrageous amount in the first few years? The Oilers make a good profit and I am not sure they would match that. Most franchises would be in real danger of going bankrupt with that kind of cash commitment. I agree that Nashville has to keep him to show players confidence in their commitment, but that is a sobering amount to commit to. The picks will be crap though. Those bonuses really screwed you guys over IMHO. Dirty pool so to speak. I hope you guys find a way to keep him and that he is happy to stay.
That is the question that only the ownership can really answer. We fans have our suspension, but we don't have any clue what kind of money they have or are willing to spend.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
This offer sheet goes beyond not easy for us to match. It's specifically designed to crush us. If you don't agree, after reading all the posts here, then there's obviously nothing I'll be able to say to change your mind. And there's nothing you can say to change mine. I'm just sayin, some teams aren't ******* enough to put out such a ridiculous offer sheet.

On another note, here is my fantasy scenario: Poile calls a press conference, walks in and doesn't even sit down, throws a matched offer sheet on the table and yells "Can't bully us, mother****ers! Suck it, Holmgren!" and walks out with double middle fingers over his shoulder.I think we can file that in the "Most Unlikely Speeches Poile Will Ever Make" category.
Thats what i am talking about! I would be more entertained to see him cross his arms like an x, slam them up against his hips while he says Suck it, Holmgren. Old school WWF style.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
It takes much more than a hot goalie. You need forwards....Suter is a heck of a ppqb, hopefully someone can step up for you in that regard.

You will have a Nash situation on your hands with weber if the team isn't upgraded.
Suter wasn't the PP QB - he finished with 3 PP goals and 25 pts. Not all that impressive.

With those mediocre forwards you complain about Nashville finished 8th in the NHL in goals per game.

The power play finished 1st by a pretty wide margin.

Any way you slice it, this this team is nearly identical to last years, which was pretty dang good, except for Ryan Suter. It's not like all of a sudden they won't make the playoffs.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
thecloser

we're just gonna have to face the fact that if we lose Weber and can't match it then we are going to have to go out and put offers on a handful of guys left in free agency, i.e, Semin, Doan, Kubina, Colaiacovo, etc. And try to make trades for Bouwmeester and maybe Bobby Ryan.

I know the last two options are long shots but we don't really have any choice. It's either do that or be faced with an almost non-existent season. We're at a cross-roads but Poile has to begin to get a bit ballsy if we lose Weber and put a NEW team together ASAP. Screw sitting around and beginning another re-build. go out and spend money.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Poile almost has to go out and try to make big moves if they decide not to match (which is likely what happens). It's either that or overpay for scraps. If that happens I have to seriously reconsider my allegiance with this team until it reconsiders the philosophy by which the team is being run.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:43 PM
PFL615

The Preds better be aggressive. Nash now gone the focus is going to be hard on Doan, Semin, and Ryan from everywhere.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
The Preds better be aggressive. .
hahahahahaha

Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Poile almost has to go out and try to make big moves if they decide not to match (which is likely what happens). It's either that or overpay for scraps. If that happens I have to seriously reconsider my allegiance with this team until it reconsiders the philosophy by which the team is being run.
I'm kind of feeling the same way.

I'll always be a Predator fan, but I don't know if I'll have the same buy in that I've had in the past.

Since the season before the lockout, I've expended vast sums of money, energy, time, and emotion on the team. I don't know if i'm prepared to do that.

It's not a thick and thin thing. I've been a Pred fan before the lockout, through the lockout, through the fire sale, etc. It's a sense of "why bother".

Alot will depend on what DP can do to salvage this mess.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm kind of feeling the same way.

I'll always be a Predator fan, but I don't know if I'll have the same buy in that I've had in the past.

Since the season before the lockout, I've expended vast sums of money, energy, time, and emotion on the team. I don't know if i'm prepared to do that.

It's not a thick and thin thing. I've been a Pred fan before the lockout, through the lockout, through the fire sale, etc. It's a sense of "why bother".

Alot will depend on what DP can do to salvage this mess.
I'm getting tired. I just don't know if I can be very invested in the team emotionally next year if we see another summer like 2007 when we were overpaying players just to get to the floor. If it shakes out that way I'll still be a fan, but it's going to take some major changes from the top of the organization all the way down before I get back to the same level of fandom I was at even a few months ago.

On the flip side, I know I can't go through another relocation scare. If signing Weber risks the very existence of the team then I'll understand not keeping him, but losing Weber isn't an excuse to be OK with a cycle of mediocrity. Something has to be done to show that isn't the case.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
predfan98

I feel that my objections to matching the Weber up to now have mostly been financial risk. (like what happens if he goes down with all that bonus $ uninsurable, or if there is a lockout)

well, since it is getting closer to decision time, I think I'll put on my emotional hat.

Weber thinks he is worth $13 million...... $5 million more than Crosby....
He knows what a financial hole this will put the Predators in.
He took and accepted the C.

Well, I don't think emotionally I want a ****ing $ grubbing ******* to watch for the next 14 years.
I don't want approx 1/3 of our salary in 2 players.

Don't match, Poile...... I will gladly watch the laundry for the next 14 years, but I don't want to see that smarmy grin on that money grubbing ******* dogging it every game like he did during the whole 2nd round of the playoffs.

I don't think it will sink the franchise. I think it will be hard, but DONT MATCH.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Suter wasn't the PP QB - he finished with 3 PP goals and 25 pts. Not all that impressive.

With those mediocre forwards you complain about Nashville finished 8th in the NHL in goals per game.

Any way you slice it, this this team is nearly identical to last years, which was pretty dang good, except for Ryan Suter. It's not like all of a sudden they won't make the playoffs.
Suter was 3rd in PP assists by a D man. He's a pretty good piece there. Besides that, as the QB, he sets it all up, holds the zone, ect....some players are just MUCH better at this than others, and Suter is one.

The Forward roster was much the same in 10-11, and your offensive stats were not as good, hopefully 11-12 wasn't career years for guys. I think you have quite a few solid 2nd line guys, but no first line forwards. Do you disagree?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

yeah Suter's pp time is easily covered or even upgraded with Ellis and/or Josi both are good with the puck and probably have more offensive talents than Suter

Old
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Suter actually was a huge part of the PP's success. The reason it turned around is the players began to move their feet out there. Some of that had to do with a change in coaching, and some of that had to do with a youth movement (younger guys are more likely to take chances while older players have their safe plays). There is no doubt that Suter had an impact, though. I'm just hoping that Ellis and Josi can make up the difference.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
yeah Suter's pp time is easily covered or even upgraded with Ellis and/or Josi both are good with the puck and probably have more offensive talents than Suter
I'll agree that both guys are very talented, but that's a really bold statement. For the Preds, i hope that's true.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll agree that both guys are very talented, but that's a really bold statement. For the Preds, i hope that's true.
you'll not find a bigger fan of Suter's game than me, but his offensive talent in the offensive zone was probably his weakest.

Getting through the neutral zone or long breakouts were his greatest offensive strengths. Funny, if Ellis doesn't do anything else well, pp qb is the one thing he does great.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Suter was 3rd in PP assists by a D man. He's a pretty good piece there. Besides that, as the QB, he sets it all up, holds the zone, ect....some players are just MUCH better at this than others, and Suter is one.
Weber was the point man. Never said he wasn't a key, just that this team won't go from one of the best teams in the NHL to the crapper based on 1 loss.

There were many keys to last year's successes, Suter being one of them. The only one that would not be here if Weber comes back.

Personally, I think highly enough of Josi to be Suter's replacement. And Ellis is a PP dynamo waiting to happen.

Quote:
The Forward roster was much the same in 10-11, and your offensive stats were not as good, hopefully 11-12 wasn't career years for guys. I think you have quite a few solid 2nd line guys, but no first line forwards. Do you disagree?
Nope, but that doesn't mean the team can't win without one.

I could easily point to Philly and say they will never win until they figure out their goaltending situation.

There is no team without holes.

With Weber, this is a pretty good team with the best goaltender in the world, the best defenseman in the NHL, and an opportunistic and productive offense.

That's far from needing "more than just Weber" or they need to spend to fill other holes.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I want to thank Rick Nash for possibly throwing some heat on Philly right now. They need Weber more right now than they did 24 hours ago.

I can't help it, I'm emotional. Weber toured Detroit, San Jose, and Philly. I'll always see him as a greedy sob no matter what we do with him.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

While the Flyers may "need" Weber more, Howson just killed a bit of Weber's value. Nash and Weber may not be comparable in the sense that Weber is the best player in the world at his position, Nash is a very good top 3 forward.

Ultimately, I still think Weber is gone. Guessing Vorachek, Mez, Read, and a first.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Nah, the Rangers just made it where Philly better get a big time defenseman and we all know Weber can handle Nash.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Also, Weber is the best or argueable the best defenseman in the game, is Nash even top 10 winger?

Closed Thread