HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
BloFan4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
That's a good point. I still can't believe the Rags didn't have to give up Stepan or Kreider though.
Why would they have to give up such promising young players for a 60 point winger entering his 10th NHL season?? Overrating Nash was one of the most annoying things about this board. Glad his value is finally realized.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
So when does Anisimov sign with the KHL?

Old
07-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Dr. Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Why and where did you hear this?
Everywhere online? Every single published report regarding the list of 6 teams that Nash cherry-picked?

We got Kozlov and a 1st for Hasek...I think Howson did alright.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

I think Columbus won this trade. They got three players in their early 20s, 2 of whom played substantial defensive roles on a 1st place team, and were centers (which as a rule of thumb are more valuable than wingers). They were always going to give up the best player in the trade, but their hand was forced, and the Rangers gave up a pretty good prospect, two decent NHL forwards with room to improve, and a 1st for a 65 point winger. No complaints from me, it was more than I thought they would get. I'd be pissed if I were a Rangers fan.

Last edited by haseoke39: 07-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think Columbus won this trade. They got three players in their early 20s, 2 of whom played substantial roles on a 1st place team. They were always going to give up the best player in the trade, but their hand was forced, and the Rangers gave up a pretty good prospect, two decent NHL forwards with room to improve, and a 1st for a 65 point winger. No complaints from me, it was more than I thought they would get.
I'd put Erixon in the "elite prospect" category. He's very highly regarded. He can play on a second-pairing this season. Murray-Erixon is a great tandem for the future, and Nikitin-Tyutin was awesome last season.

I don't have a problem with that haul. Once Dubinsky's shooting% progresses to its mean, he'll be a 20-goal guy again with good defensive ability and excellent competitiveness. Anisimov is a solid player, as well, and they got a 1st they can use in a trade to continue the upgrading of that roster.

Again, I really like the adds of Foligno, Dubi, and Anisimov to that roster.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Damn, maybe the Sabres started planning for 5 years from now because they have no chance in the East now for a while.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Compare this deal to when Heatley demanded out of Ottawa

Heatley + 5th for Michalek, Cheechoo, 2nd

Nash + (AHL D-man) + 3rd for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, 1st

And Heatley at the time I'd argue was the better player.

Both players had NTC and thus a limited number of teams to be traded to. Both players requested a trade (Healtey a bit more forcefully).

Michalek is better than any of the return Nash got, but the supporting pieces in the Nash deal are way better than a broken Cheechoo and a 2nd--and a 3rd+AHL d-man don't cover that gap.

It's a fair deal. Not a great deal for Columbus (that would be getting one of Stepan/Kreider/McD/even MDZ), but a fair deal.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

It's fair. They got good pieces back.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Damn, maybe the Sabres started planning for 5 years from now because they have no chance in the East now for a while.

Rangers still live and die by Lundy.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post

Rangers still live and die by Lundy.
Thats the sad part. They just improved a part of their team they needed to improve, goal scoring.

They just keep building. They have added Rick Nash, Brad Richards, and Marian Gaborik the last 3-4 years. Unreal. Unfair..

Old
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

wow just saw this...

not unexpected at all...

I think Columbus did very well.

Erixon-Murray future pairing is about as bright a light as that franchise has seen in a long time. To have that pairing, along with the Tyutin-Nikitin pairing... that has a ton of long term, franchise stabilizing, defensive ability

And the guys they added are all work-a-holics. I think they clearly improved their team.

I wish the Sabres could deal Vanek for that type of package...

now, i'm going to go back and read our boards comments, which presumably will be a majority saying "Columbus got robbed!!!"

Old
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Pavelski was better than that whole package by himself, if the P/C/1st rumor is to be believed...

Old
07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
It wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers add Doan too. They certainly didn't part with anything in the Nash trade that they'll miss.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Not a Nash fan, not a Ranger fan... would've like the Rangers to give up one of their premium pieces to acquire him simply to weaken them in the future. With Gaborik on the shelf, the Rangers needed some scoring punch on the wing even more than they did before and they got it. C'bus still shores up their depth and moves a massive distraction. It's not that bad of a deal -- could it have been better? sure -- but it's not doom and gloom.

07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Thats the sad part. They just improved a part of their team they needed to improve, goal scoring.

They just keep building. They have added Rick Nash, Brad Richards, and Marian Gaborik the last 3-4 years. Unreal. Unfair..
How did they improve their scoring???? They just became one dimensional actually. They shipped 70 points back to Columbus. Not to mention Tortorella is the reason for their scoring being down. Can't wait to see how far Nash's production falls because you know it will.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
wow just saw this...

not unexpected at all...

I think Columbus did very well.

Erixon-Murray future pairing is about as bright a light as that franchise has seen in a long time. To have that pairing, along with the Tyutin-Nikitin pairing... that has a ton of long term, franchise stabilizing, defensive ability

And the guys they added are all work-a-holics. I think they clearly improved their team.

I wish the Sabres could deal Vanek for that type of package... now, i'm going to go back and read our boards comments, which presumably will be a majority saying "Columbus got robbed!!!"
You beat me to the punch with this.

I was just about to ask the following question to the forum:

If Buffalo could replicate the same deal involving Vanek for basically the same caliber pieces coming back, would you do it?

Old
07-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
How did they improve their scoring???? They just became one dimensional actually. They shipped 70 points back to Columbus. Not to mention Tortorella is the reason for their scoring being down. Can't wait to see how far Nash's production falls because you know it will.
you forget that Chris Kreider will be joining them for a full season... he made his debut in the playoffs

Old
07-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
You beat me to the punch with this.

I was just about to ask the following question to the forum:

If Buffalo could replicate the same deal involving Vanek for basically the same caliber pieces coming back, would you do it?
here's the fun follow up, to anyone who says "no" to that question...

"Would you in hindsight, take the 4 firsts from Edmonton?"

If they say "yes", after saying "no" to the original question... you can laugh at them

Old
07-23-2012, 02:31 PM
joshjull

I wonder why Howson didn't wait until Weber made his decision. If Nashville matched he could have played Philly and the Rags against each other.

Having said that the Howson got what he could in the situation he was in. Not a horrible trade but man is he getting pummeled in the press.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

and I try not to look into the whole "list" thing cuz so many times players have gone to unlisted teams

Old
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Nash - Richards - Gaborik

On a top defensive team. Not good. Torts will win a cup or 2 in NY.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
and I try not to look into the whole "list" thing cuz so many times players have gone to unlisted teams
Nash wasn't coming here. Let it go.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Howson is terrible. No wonder they are the leagues worst franchise

That return is atrocious. But hey, now they can try to sell tickets with Jack Johnson as your building block

Old
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Nash wasn't coming here. Let it go.
No **** I'm just talking in general. We wouldn't have done a deal with them and we were never rumored to get him.

Old
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I wonder why Howson didn't wait until Weber made his decision. If Nashville matched he could have played Philly and the Rags against each other.

Having said that the Howson got what he could in the situation he was in. Not a horrible trade but man is he getting pummeled in the press.
Why? The flyers are so in love with their players they opted to offer 4 1st's in lieu of any roster players. They certainly weren't going to give up alot any more than the Rangers package for Nash when they wouldn't do it for Weber.

Closed Thread