HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Rick Nash to the Rangers

Old
07-23-2012, 02:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Jackets are a better team after this deal, no question about it. Maybe they could have gotten a better prospect/player if they didn't take such a big package but they need quantity and Dubinsky and AA are top 6 players which they needed badly.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
AHL defenseman to the Rags too. Johnny Moore out of Columbus?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Jackets are a better team after this deal, no question about it. Maybe they could have gotten a better prospect/player if they didn't take such a big package but they need quantity and Dubinsky and AA are top 6 players which they needed badly.
The Jackets are a better team now, but when you hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go.

They still traded their only bonafide star for depth players, which is a bad idea in my opinion.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Columbus was never going to trade him w/in the division.

Ideally, Erixon says "I wanted to play in NY" and goes back to Sweden for a season, gets traded again, and comes back over for someone else. W/ CLB, that 1st rd pick has a 40-50% chance of dudding out.

CLB has more "middle depth," but they still don't have a 1st line. Prospal and Umberger getting ~55 points each means last place.

NYR traded two players that could be permanent 2nd liners, a prospect D, and a 1st for the most overpaid*, overrated player in the league.

* not counting Gomez, I suppose

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
The Jackets are a better team now, but when you hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go.

They still traded their only bonafide star for depth players, which is a bad idea in my opinion.
Yes, iif your trading the cornerstone if your franchise you'd better get a legit NHL star or stud prospect in return not a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners and a late 1st round draft pick.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

I would have insisted on Kreider being a part of this. I think that's the big mistake in the whole thing. But we don't know what the Jackets are trying to do. Their NHL roster should be more competitive than it has in awhile. It may be enough to get free agents interested in them for next year. That's where this move makes sense for me, if they are going to spend big next offseason and try to fill in the missing pieces. If not, they yeah, they should have targeted prospects.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Sevanston

I think Sather flat out refused to include Kreider in this. Rumors always had Howson asking for him, but clearly he's not in the deal so Sather got his way.

Speaking of Kreider, it looks like New York might have a hard time offering him a fair contract once his ELC is up. Someone should keep an eye on that, because if Hossa needs to retire early, Kreider would be the best possible replacement.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
BobbyJet

I see this as a good deal for both clubs. Nash will be relieved and Jackets had to deal him. He was expected to carry the offense for too long in Colombus and it was affecting his game. Rangers were already pretty good and are now unquestionably a legitimate SC contender. I think we’ll see a resurgence of the real Rick Nash in the Big Apple and a return to being the top power forward that we saw in his younger days.

There was never a hope of landing him (for various reasons) but Hawks would certainly look good with him in the line-up.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

Let's say you Howson got to choose between this package or Kreider straight up. What would you do?

Old
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Let's say you Howson got to choose between this package or Kreider straight up. What would you do?
Kreider might end up being better than this entire package (I'm really high on him)

But if Columbus did Nash for Kreider straight up, they'd be taking their best asset and pissing it away.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
hawksfan50

Does this make CBJ tougher for us to play (adding Dubinsky Anisimov Foligno up fron this summer --deletiing Nash but adding Erixon and Ryan Murray to the blueline --that is 5 infusions to 1 deletion --true only Nash was a first line elite playter BUT he did a lot of nada against the Blackhawks this year -my bet it CBJ is a lot more competitive now even ifscoring still willbe at a premium for them...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:41 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
This seems to be the vastly unpopular reaction to this trade... but I 110% agree with this.... if Nash was a guy that could truly carry a franchise it might be different, but all you need to do is look at their performance as a team since they've existed to see that he's not that guy. This is a club that needs to improve the whole team and a quantity deal gets that done. It's not as though they've been given a bunch of AHL tweeners or something.... there's 3 NHL players here that they can use to stick some AHL-level guys back where they belong.

I won't say BJs win from a straight value perspective, but they're better as a result of this trade.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
the package, clearly.

eta...i can't believe it took so long for this deal. CBJ should have been able to get the exact same thing at the trade deadline or draft.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
brtriad

Jackets definitely get better from this trade.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
hockeydoug

I don't see how the Rangers are any better giving up a couple centers in this deal. I'm shocked Howson didn't go for at least one player with the skill to really change a game but loading up on a couple centers might be worthwhile.

I don't think either team is much better, I would imagine Howson actually ends up ahead a few years from now. I'm not a Nash fan.

I wonder how many trades dissolved the last couple months for Howson, tough to believe he held out this long for this package.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Flames fans are loving Erixon ending up in Columbus.

And no way did Columbus get better. Lost their best offensive weapon in return for a couple bodies on the ice to take up space.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
the package, clearly.

eta...i can't believe it took so long for this deal. CBJ should have been able to get the exact same thing at the trade deadline or draft.
Yeah, that's a really good point. I don't know why the Rangers would have waited to do this.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I won't say BJs win from a straight value perspective, but they're better as a result of this trade.
Yeah, I mean, you look at there forwards last year, it was pretty awful. Dorsett at 15 minutes a game, pretty much a 2nd liner for them. They needed to get some forwards badly. Now they have Foligno, Dubi and AA to go with Brassard. That makes for the best top 6 they have had in a long time. They also needed leadership. Dubi could be the next captain.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
brtriad

Jack Johnson will be the captain as soon as next year.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Jack Johnson will be the captain as soon as next year.
Yeah, good point, Johnson is the most likely.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Weren't the Hawks NOT on Nash's list?
Facts like this, and the increased price for trades in conference, especially in division, are MEANINGLESS on HF Boards.

Bowman sucks! Fire Bowman! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
coldsteelonice84

We were not on Nash's list. Can't get mad at Bowman about this one. Would ha have got him if we were on his list? Very doubtful. But we weren't, so it is what it is.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
RomersWorld*

hahahhahahaa @ Tim Erixon....dbag.

Gets what he deserves.

As for the trade, pretty "meh". I do like Anisimov a lot. He is only 24 years old and I think he has potential/skill to be a real good player. Still though they should of at least got Kreider or MDZ. I mean come on. Dubinsky and Anisimov are solid player but also aren't spring chickens...they'll get bigger contracts soon. 1st rounder... meh, okay. Erixon? Not sold but does have potential.

Maybe the interest Nash wasn't that great? He does have a big contract and never really puts up great numbers. Plus he had the 8-team no trade clause I think or something like that.

That defense is really damn offensive if they all pan out...but they need more defensive players. Murray is a great start and Tyutin is underrated. But the rest are about offense mostly...

Johnson-Tyutin
Wisniewski-Murray
Erixon-Moore
Nikitin

Lots of potential there but someone might be on the move.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Main board is ripping on Columbus. I like this deal for them maybe because I wasn't a huge fan of Nash.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
RomersWorld*

Gotta love the special posters who immediately start ripping Bowman...

1) Chicago wasn't on Nash's list. Do some research

2) It was reported the Red Wings offered a great deal and wanted Nash but were shutdown by Howson because they were in the same division. Oh wait, we're in the same division too!

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote