HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beer, It Does a Body Good

Old
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

vCash: 500
I went to NYC a few weeks ago for the first time and visited the Heartland Brewery at the base of the Empire State Building.

The beer was unreal and the bartender was more than willing to pour samples of each brew.

Their oatmeal stout was phenominal, even though it was out of season. The India Pale Ale and the Red Rooster Ale were also fantastic. Highly recommended to any beer lovers visiting the area.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Have you had 'em all? Arrogant 'ard Ale and the 90 Minute are some of my favorite go-tos. Whoever gave you that must've liked you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
+1
Opeth, Clock speaks truth.
You have Sabres board permission to wed the begifter, spousal gender now being irrelevant in NYS.

and Congrats!!

Prior to my party, four invitees (my uncle and three of my friends) insisted on buying me beer and asked what I wanted, so I told them. Ask and you shall receive I guess.

I haven't drank all of them yet. I drank a couple of the Cream Stouts and a couple of the 90 Minute IPAs over the weekend, but I still have more of them and I still have all of my Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. I'm drinking the ******* as I'm replying to these posts and it is spectacular.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
aceface33

Recently had Ommegang for the first time...The brewery is about 30 mins from here down near Cooperstown but for whatever reason I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally I found it in a specialty beverage store in Utica and also Wegmans of all places. Ommegang is a Belgian style brewer and all the varieties I've had have been godly. I'd recommend especially the Belgian Pale Ale (BPA for you draft nicks) or the Abbey Ale. Be warned though, it's not cheap. About $10 for a 4 pack or $6 for a big a corked bottle that has about 2 pint glasses. Definitely worth it though if you wanna treat yourself.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Recently had for the first time...The brewery is about 30 mins from here down near Cooperstown but for whatever reason I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally I found it in a specialty beverage store in Utica and also Wegmans of all places. Ommegang is a Belgian style brewer and all the varieties I've had have been godly. I'd recommend especially the Belgian Pale Ale (BPA for you draft nicks) or the Abbey Ale. Be warned though, it's not cheap. About $10 for a 4 pack or $6 for a big a corked bottle that has about 2 pint glasses. Definitely worth it though if you wanna treat yourself.
We carry most of the Ommegang 'flavors' and IIRC almost all the Wegmans carry Ommegang

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:42 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
We carry most of the Ommegang 'flavors' and IIRC almost all the Wegmans carry Ommegang
I know! Closest Wegmans is an hour away.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
MayDay

Went to Costco over the weekend and got some Chimay variety packs that came each came with a chalice glass.

So delicious.

Chimay blue is probably my favorite European beer.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Went to Costco over the weekend and got some Chimay variety packs that came each came with a chalice glass.

So delicious.

I like all of them but the Grand Reserve is a fine, fine beverage.

08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

So delicious.

The microbrew that is down the street from me just started serving this:

Pablo Picasso
Dark belgian ale aged in Cabernet barrels for over a year with Piedt Farms sour cherries.
$8 goblet (9% ABV)

It is....godly. It's like stout with a hint of sweetness from the cherries. and 9% ABV. Probably should put this in the beer thread.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:33 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Am I bumping the right thread?

Has it really been almost a year since a post?

I know I'm not the only who drinks on this board, and I'm both a lightweight and non-connoisseur compared to most of you...

After hiking Taughannock gorge / falls today in Ithaca, I had a Ithaca Beer Co. Cascazilla Hoppy Red Ale and a Pale Ale. Will try the Flower Power IPA next chance I get.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
aceface33

Drinking some Brooklyn Summer Ale tonight which, despite the name, is brewed in Utica, NY! Last time I checked Brooklyn and Utica were quite different, but what do I know. Anyways, the beer is delicious.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

i got dogfish head 90 minute IPA

I ran 8 miles in 63 minutes earlier today so i got plenty of room for gut damage.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:57 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
i got dogfish head 90 minute IPA

I ran 8 miles in 63 minutes earlier today so i got plenty of room for gut damage.
That stuff is delicious.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:01 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

I know I'm not the only who drinks on this board, and I'm both a lightweight and non-connoisseur compared to most of you...

After hiking Taughannock gorge / falls today in Ithaca, I had a Ithaca Beer Co. Cascazilla Hoppy Red Ale and a Pale Ale. Will try the Flower Power IPA next chance I get.
Flower Power is our number one selling draft. Cult like following. Very good IPA.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:

Try Ithaca's apricot wheat. It's one of my favorites and great on a warm summer day. Shouldn't have gone into this thread now I want to have a beer and it's well before noon on a Sunday! Lol

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
That stuff is delicious.
It was good.

I also really like Bell's Oberon this time of year.

BTW, if you're ever in Pittsburgh we got a bar called The Cutting Edge and they specialize in Belgium Beers. They have like 150 of them on tap, a tremendous place to taste test (2 locations I think). We also have (one of maybe four in the country?) A Hoefenbrae House. They brew it right there, and it's 100% authentic German entertainment and style from top to bottom. Including these amazing Bavarian style pretzels with a mustard cheese dip. It's a good time. Rock Bottom and Fat Head's brew their own beer too, pretty great town for beer lover's.

I'm kind of a calorie creep and it's gotten in the way of my beer obsession. For the better.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Mount Marcy bent me over. I made it to just over 4500ft, but couldn't summit. Brutal hike and climb.

Next time...

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Drinking some Brooklyn Summer Ale tonight which, despite the name, is brewed in Utica, NY! Last time I checked Brooklyn and Utica were quite different, but what do I know. Anyways, the beer is delicious.
I love Brooklyn's summer ale. The pennant ale they put out toward the end of baseball season is great too.
Also, they do have a brewery in Brooklyn..I think they mostly use it for tours/tastings than to actually brew in, though.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Cappie2k2

Rusty Chain and Avaitor Red my top 2 Local beers.
Also Yuengling and Blue. I try to get something diffrent when i go to a bar/pub with more then 6 beers on draft...Love a Trainwreck every now and then along with a MCcsorrley's

Cappie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Imlach a cup

Spent the last week acquiring a choice selection of Barley Wines. Anyone here a fan that might have some advice on quality brands?

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Mount Marcy bent me over. I made it to just over 4500ft, but couldn't summit. Brutal hike and climb.

Next time...
Maybe a beer would help next time.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:40 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Oops. Two OT threads. I fail.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

Next time...
Did you attempt via the Van Hovenberg trail from Marcy dam? I summited a few years ago. I started about 7am, and got back down to my vehicle at 7pm. I don't know if summiting mountains is something you do rarely, but next time go slower and steady. Not saying you did, but some boneheads try to go fast paced, and they burnout after about 4 hours. Out of the 46 "high" peaks in the adirondacks, i've summited 5 so far...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Had some new castle summer ale. Was hoping it'd be a little lighter but it's still good
Shutthefrontdoor!!!

I wantz

Old
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Niagaradad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
As for WNY... Ontario is 19, so plenty of people start earlier in Canadian bars.
I'm old enough to remember going to Niagara Falls, NY or Buffalo because it was 21 on our side of the border and 19 on yours!

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I love Brooklyn's summer ale. The pennant ale they put out toward the end of baseball season is great too.
Also, they do have a brewery in Brooklyn..I think they mostly use it for tours/tastings than to actually brew in, though.
Brooklyn summer is good. I tried it when I was back east a few weeks ago. Also enjoyed some Magic Hat #9. Also tried an American Pale Ale from Bronx brewery, which was pretty good.

If you like the summer ales, on a more west-coast-note, I heartily recommend the following summer ales/Kolsch-style ales:

Alaskan Summer Ale

Anchor Summer Beer

and my favorite:
Mission Brewery Blonde (Kolsch-style ale)

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote