HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Quote:
NASHVILLE PREDATORS MATCH OFFER, JULY 24, 2012:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638547

Quote:
Nashville, Tenn. (July 24, 2012) – In the most important hockey transaction in franchise history, Nashville Predators Chairman Tom Cigarran, President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile and CEO Jeff Cogen announced today that the team has matched the 14-year, $110 million offer sheet between the Philadelphia Flyers and defenseman Shea Weber, insuring that the Predators' captain will remain with the franchise for the next 14 years.
Quote:
PAUL HOLMGREN'S CONFERENCE CALL TRANSCRIPT, JULY 25, 2012:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638613

Quote:
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren spoke to the media via a conference call on Wednesday morning. Below is the transcript from the call.

Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren:

Q: Because of the way the offer sheet to Shea Weber was front-loaded, did you expect Nashville to match it?

"No, it was structured where we were hopeful that they wouldn't match it. But, obviously they did and as I said yesterday we wish Shea and the Predators all the best. We tried to add, in our minds, one of the best defenseman in the game to a good, young, up-and-coming team, and it didn't work."

Q: When did you learn that [The Predators] were going to match [the offer sheet], and how much of a disappointment did it come as?

"I learned at about 3:15 yesterday afternoon, and the initial reaction was disappointment, but I guess we move on. The chance of them matching was always there however hopeful we were of them not, it was always there, and they did. Now we move forward and see what we can do. We like our team; we think it's a good, up-and-coming young team, and we will continue to try and add to it and make it better, which is what we tried to do with the offer sheet. We'll move forward."

Q: I guess any other moves, be it on defense or forward would involve a trade. Are you of the mindset that any significant trade is in the picture for you guys right now?

"No, I don't necessarily agree with what you said. There are still players out there that require a trade. It's July 25th today, there's still plenty of time before we can plan and rule out anything right now. As I said earlier, we really like our team, we certainly don't want to make any drastic changes, but we are going to continue to look at ways to get better. The object is to have the best team going into training camp and that's what we're going to do. We'll see what happens."
Quote:
PARTS ONE AND TWO OF THIS TOPIC:
  1. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232919
  2. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233451

Quote:
FLYERS' INITIAL STATEMENT FROM JULY 19, 2012:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has released the following statement at 8 a.m. Thursday morning:

"The Philadelphia Flyers have signed restricted free agent (D) Shea Weber to an offer sheet. There will be no further comment at this time."
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS ARTICLE, JULY 19, 2012:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...fer-sheet.html

Quote:
A source told the Daily News that Weber spent time in Philadelphia last week meeting with the Flyers' brass, though that also has not been confirmed by the team. This would not be tampering, since Weber was not under contract with any team.

Weber, 26, would be signed until he is 40 years old. At exactly $110 million, his salary cap hit would be $7.8 million per year, just slightly more than his $7.5 million hit from last season in Nashville and the hit teammate Ryan Suter signed with in Minnesota on July 4.

(As a note: the cap hit is figured by dividing total dollars spent by term, regardless if it is salary or signing bonus)
Quote:
According to Kypreos, the Flyers have structured the deal in a way that it may be impossible for Nashville to match. The breakdown would be as follows:

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
2025-26 (40): $1 million salary
TOTAL: $110 million
Quote:
THE TENNESSEAN ARTICLE, JULY 19, 2012:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ws|text|Sports

Quote:
The agent for Shea Weber said Thursday the Predators captain and defenseman wants to play in Philadelphia and that’s why he signed an offer sheet with the Flyers.

“I don’t think you signed an offer sheet unless you’re pointing in that one direction,” agent Jarrett Bousquet told AM-1050 in Toronto. “He would like to play with the Philadelphia Flyers because we all feel he’s just another piece in the puzzle to take them to the next level and he doesn’t want to go through a rebuilding process again.”

The Predators said in a statement their “intention would be to match and retain” Weber.
Quote:
USA TODAY ARTICLE, JULY 23, 2012:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...eet/56432304/1

Quote:
The Nashville Predators have until Wednesday to decide whether to match the Philadelphia Flyers' 14-year, $110 million offer sheet to captain Shea Weber. The $110 million price tag is $30 million more than former owner Craig Leipold paid in 1997 to start the franchise

Here are five reasons why the Predators have to match:
Quote:
OFFER SHEET INFORMATION WITHIN THE CBA (starts with page 35):

http://www.nhlpa.com/docs/about-us/n...a_2005_cba.pdf

Quote:
SHEA WEBER'S BIO AND STATS FROM THE HOCKEY NEWS:

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...showAllMoves=1
  • Date of birth: August 14, 1985
  • Place of birth: Sicamous, B.C., Canada
  • Ht: 6-4 Wt: 232
  • Shoots: R
  • Salary: $7,500,000
  • NHL Seasons: 7
  • Drafted by Nashville in 2003 (2/49).

Quote:
ASSETS: Has both the size and mean streak to keep skilled players honest. Excels in one-on-one situations, as he literally overpowers opponents. Can unleash a big-time point shot and log a lot of ice time. Has the ability to drop the gloves and is a born leader.

FLAWS: Must curb his propensity to run around the defensive zone in search of the big hit from time to time. Is still a little inconsistent in terms of playing the shutdown role. Will take a bad penalty once in a while.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Elite all-around defenseman with a big point shot and leadership skills.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
In the spirit of the Nash trade, let's throw Poile an offer for Read, Rinaldo, Shelley, and a box of suspiciously damp kitty litter for 3 of our firsts back.

07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
bristhebest
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
By that sum up, can we assume that they really dont want to pay him that money since they have said before they would match any offer? Unless they are holding out that Homer caves and gives them Schenn and/or Couts.
I dont know why everyone keeps saying they would match every offer when the only thing that was said by the GM was it was his intention to match any offer made to Weber. I have no doubt that would be his intention however this is a buisness with all personal feelings set aside, so there is no guarantee he would match everything. Wording was key and it seems everyone took it as he was going to match anything definitivly.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
In the spirit of the Nash trade, let's throw Poile an offer for Read, Rinaldo, Shelley, and a box of suspiciously damp kitty litter for 3 of our firsts back.
lol

Quote:
JohnMKeeley

Poile said that letting Scott Stevens go to St. Louis via an offer sheet in '90 was the biggest mistake of his career. http://t.co/3FqZD6At
Quote:
Eklund

The Preds have ALWAYS had the money to match the Weber deal. Remember they had offers out to Suter and Parise. What's best for Preds is ?
From what I've read and heard I'm almost positive Nashville matches. So what's the Flyers back up plan if they can't land Weber? Seems like they need to do something especially with Nash going to the NYR.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Can we also add a suspicious flaming bag on his doorstep too?

Old
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Looking at that contract in writing, it is ****ing horrible to prob 20 teams in the NHL. For the Preds and their fans sake, I hope if they match they can come up with that cash and still ice a competetive team.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Can we also add a suspicious flaming bag on his doorstep too?
For a conditional 3rd, yes.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
lol

From what I've read and heard I'm almost positive Nashville matches. So what's the Flyers back up plan if they can't land Weber? Seems like they need to do something especially with Nash going to the NYR.
Somehow the Preds have always had hundreds of millions of dollars lying around to help build a team yet they didn't offer Suter close to what other teams did, didn't sign Weber, and never once made a big splash with a trade or signing.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Somehow the Preds have always had hundreds of millions of dollars lying around to help build a team yet they didn't offer Suter close to what other teams did, didn't sign Weber, and never once made a big splash with a trade or signing.
You don't think Gaustad and Gill were a big splash at the TDL?

Old
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
@DarrenDreger

More mtngs expected in Nashville as owners decide whether or not to match Weber offer sheet. Many around NHL don't think Preds can.
smiley face

Old
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...11926677176320

Quote:
More mtngs expected in Nashville as owners decide whether or not to match Weber offer sheet. Many around NHL don't think Preds can.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...12235625422848

Quote:
Philadelphia is willing to talk trade for the 1st round picks if Preds don't match. Nashville will need players. Could shop the 4 firsts.

Old
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Nashville has always had hundreds of millions. That is why they always spend to the limit and have never once been considered a cap floor team

Old
07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
healthyscratch

repeated

Old
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
Nashville has always had hundreds of millions. That is why they always spend to the limit and have never once been considered a cap floor team
This. They can afford Weber. Even with the bonuses. I'm sure they can get financing for one summer to cover them through the next season.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
healthyscratch

Old
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Nashville cannot match.

Its just too much financial strain for a small market team.

They should match from a hockey standpoint but a business standpoint this is a small market team that is losing money taking on the second largest contract in NHL history which is front loaded with straight cash payments.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
This. They can afford Weber. Even with the bonuses. I'm sure they can get financing for one summer to cover them through the next season.
The jokes on you

Old
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Icedog2735

The worst part is I have the next 2 days off from work ... I'm going to rip my hair out and short out my laptop by hitting refresh by the time an announcement is made!

Old
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
hockeyfreak7

I think we end up dealing Meszaros+Read+2nd for 2014 1st+2016 1st.

Nashville's priority is just getting bodies to fill holes at this point. If they really don't have the ability to match, I think we will end up cutting them a deal like the above for a couple of the picks back.

Then I think we make a very big push for Doan.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Briere-Doan
Fedotenko-Couturier-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Talbot-Wellwood

Weber-Schenn
Coburn-Grossman
Timonen-Gustafsson
Bourdon, Lilja, Gervais

Old
07-23-2012, 04:29 PM
FadeToBlack

EDIT: Nope, still not right, ugh.

Last edited by FadeToBlack: 07-23-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
FLYERMANIAA

MiamiscreemingEagle...i love the count down clock...lol...NICE...

Old
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
And the 13mill a year for 3 years after that? Then the 11mill a year for the two years after that? It is not one year of bonuses... but 6.

They only have 19 players (if Sergei just signed) for next year as well... they will have to sign 4 more defensemen, 2-3 more forwards minimum, even if they bring players up, (as they have less non-roster players than most NHL teams too) that is going to cost 8-10mill minimum (before Weber) with what positions and players they will have to get if they want to make the playoffs.

Weber will be 35% of all the salary they will pay next year at a minimum if they match... at most he could be 45%-50% of their whole salary payments. He will also be about 20% of all salary on the team for the next four years.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Icedog2735

I think a lot of people around here have too high of hopes for what might be given up in trade. Nashville is going to want significant compensation and I think the only way 2 players (+ picks) are involved is if Couts or the Schenns are going to Nashville (which will not happen b/c it would have happened last week). Thus I'm thinking the trade will be Mez, Voracek, one of Read/Simmonds/Gus to get 1, maybe 2, of the 1sts back. Even though it isn't a trade for Weber, in my mind if there's a Gratton-esque deal, it basically becomes a trade for him by way of an OS, and it's a trade I would make in a heartbeat.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:40 PM
mypunkrock

Trading Read is a bad, bad, bad idea. Give them Walker and some other dudes from the A in conjunction with Mez (if need be, I'm officially opposed to such a move).

Old
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
I think a lot of people around here have too high of hopes for what might be given up in trade. Nashville is going to want significant compensation and I think the only way 2 players (+ picks) are involved is if Couts or the Schenns are going to Nashville (which will not happen b/c it would have happened last week). Thus I'm thinking the trade will be Mez, Voracek, one of Read/Simmonds/Gus to get 1, maybe 2, of the 1sts back. Even though it isn't a trade for Weber, in my mind if there's a Gratton-esque deal, it basically becomes a trade for him by way of an OS, and it's a trade I would make in a heartbeat.
**** that. I'd rather not get Weber at that point. Let them match if that's what they're going to demand.

Closed Thread