HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Surely we get Semin now. Right?
Doubt it for 2 reasons:

1. He might score some goals and have some offensive flair. That's a no-no in this system.

2. He might push us above the cap floor. Why pay for a good hockey player when you can get an AHLer much cheaper.

If you can't tell, I'm completely soured on everything Predators right now.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
PFL615

What do yall think will happen with SK. I remember reading he has made some interesting statements about the situation with his brother and Preds. Are their bad feelings between the two now? Is he on the roster next year or no?

PFL615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Traded Legwand
Vote for Weber

SK will be going to arbitration, and will be on the team this upcoming season.

Traded Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
PFL615

More than likely right but why would Trotz and Poile want him on the team after his interviews about the Preds and his brother over the summer?

PFL615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I love Trade Legwand's avatar....

My question on the delay is this, let's that Volde's idea of teams calling and saying match and we will offer this.

Is Poile taking measured trade offers from other teams for a full year later and comparing it to Philly's offer?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:09 PM
RaiderDoug

Whenever I feel crappy about ourselves, I remember that there's always the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Rick Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Erixon.

Really Howson? Really?

Too bad he wouldn't waive for us, we could have beaten that offer, IMHO.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Whenever I feel crappy about ourselves, I remember that there's always the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Really Howson? Really?

It looks bad on paper, but I don't hate the deal from a Columbus perspective. Erixon adds another incredibly talented young defenseman to a corps that should be pretty damn solid in a few years. Dubinsky is a great 2/3 center with a tremendous work ethic and will be a great leader for that team going forward. Anisimov is a pretty talented 2nd line center.

As for Nash, he's incredibly talented, but I haven't been sold on him being the centerpiece of a franchise. It will be interesting to see what kind of season he has playing on a deeper team, in a much more competitive environment.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:

Really Howson? Really?

And reportedly this is the same player pkg available at the draft. So this could have been settled some time ago, and perhaps some assets flipped. Whenever we feel bad about our franchise, we get a reminder-- things could always be worse.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
It looks bad on paper, but I don't hate the deal from a Columbus perspective. Erixon adds another incredibly talented young defenseman to a corps that should be pretty damn solid in a few years. Dubinsky is a great 2/3 center with a tremendous work ethic and will be a great leader for that team going forward. Anisimov is a pretty talented 2nd line center.

As for Nash, he's incredibly talented, but I haven't been sold on him being the centerpiece of a franchise. It will be interesting to see what kind of season he has playing on a deeper team, in a much more competitive environment.
Have to agree. I think that is a very fair and solid return for an overpaid, overrated winger with a strict NTC.

On a separate note, that package would have been pretty nice for Weber instead of the low 1st round picks we're about to get.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:

I was a Ranger fan pre-1998, so I still follow them.

I like all of the guys the BJ's got back, I just don't see any of them as sure fire high end NHLers.

Anisimov is a solid 2nd liner but I don't see him as a sure thing. Dubinsky has intangibles and can play on the 3rd line. Erixon, meh.

I really would have thought that they would have gotten back a Krieder or Hagelin as a centerpiece.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I was a Ranger fan pre-1998, so I still follow them.

I like all of the guys the BJ's got back, I just don't see any of them as sure fire high end NHLers.

Anisimov is a solid 2nd liner but I don't see him as a sure thing. Dubinsky has intangibles and can play on the 3rd line. Erixon, meh.

I really would have thought that they would have gotten back a Krieder or Hagelin as a centerpiece.
Columbus is a team that probably has more to gain from 2 or 3 sure thing 2nd tier players over a single potential high-end player, though. Too many rushed prospects with high-end potential has put that organization in the situation it is currently in. Having some steady, high character, high work ethic young guys is not as sexy, but I think it will ultimately do far more for the franchise than getting back one of those elite pieces that may not pan out.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Gee, thanks so very much.

I'm just hoping that Anisimov and Dubinsky can go back to their 2010-2011 ways. And we get something useful for Erixon because I doubt he's gonna stay.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:57 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Columbus is a team that probably has more to gain from 2 or 3 sure thing 2nd tier players over a single potential high-end player, though. Too many rushed prospects with high-end potential has put that organization in the situation it is currently in. Having some steady, high character, high work ethic young guys is not as sexy, but I think it will ultimately do far more for the franchise than getting back one of those elite pieces that may not pan out.
Fair enough, good point.

Still, as a semi-Ranger fan, I'm perfectly happy with giving up Dubinsky and Anisimov for Nash.

I would have definately thought Krieder+.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
SK will be going to arbitration, and will be on the team this upcoming season.
hmmmm ....

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
AEM6729

Quote:

Really Howson? Really?

Apparently a lot of teams offered a better package, but Nash's NTC complicated things. Really sucks for CBJ.

Good thing that if we match Weber (that's a big if), there's no NTC. Those things can totally screw you when it comes to getting the best return for a player.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
AEM6729

Just thinking...with Nash off to NYR, none of the teams in our division have done much to get better. The Hawks and the Blues haven't added anyone, while us, Detroit and Columbus have lost excellent players without being able to adequately replace them.

Maybe we can be like LA next year...get in the playoffs by winning our suddenly-weaker division. I doubt it, but I can dream!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Just thinking...with Nash off to NYR, none of the teams in our division have done much to get better. The Hawks and the Blues haven't added anyone, while us, Detroit and Columbus have lost excellent players without being able to adequately replace them.

Maybe we can be like LA next year...get in the playoffs by winning our suddenly-weaker division. I doubt it, but I can dream!
The funny thing is, we're a trade for a #2 d-man from probably being a better team this year than last year (at least no worse).

I expect bigger and better things from guys like Ellis, Wilson, Smith, Josi, Bourque etc, etc. We'll have full years from Gill/Gaustad.

The guys we lost (except for Suter) either never made a long term impact (Rads/AK) or were essentially replaced already (Tootoo).

I wish we wouldn't have sat on our hands so much during UFA time and gone after a guy like Matt Carle. If Weber leaves, we wouldn't have had such a gigantic hole on the 1st pair D.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Legionnaire11

I don't think the return that CBJ got back is all that bad really. Anisimov is pretty good he was being penciled in as the Rangers 1st line C before they signed Richards and Stepan surprised everyone and passed him by.

Dubinsky is iffy, can he score 25 goals? He should be the focus of the Jackets offense next season, and he'll see more backup goalies, so it's certainly a good possibility.

Erixon will be a very good defenseman, i'd be very happy with him in the Preds pipeline, I think he'll be on the top pair with Johnson in a year or two. An actual legit defensive prospect that Columbus has really been missing, Klesla is the only guy they've ever brought up that had anyone excited. Erixon is better.

And then a pick. The kicker is that it's the Jackets so who knows how they'll manage these guys.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
token grinder

down the middle, the jackets have dubinsky, anisomov and johansen. their d looks a lot better with wiz, johnson, murray and now erixson. better in goal with bob too. wings are beer league hockey thin though

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
down the middle, the jackets have dubinsky, anisomov and johansen. their d looks a lot better with wiz, johnson, murray and now erixson. better in goal with bob too. wings are beer league hockey thin though
Right wing is. Left wing is kind of absurd, although I think that's because many of the lists I see count Dubinsky as a LW.

We're basically in a position not entirely dissimilar to the Preds with regards to offensive players (lots of second and third liners), only y'all have more of 'em and we don't have an under-the-radar-first-liner (Erat) equivalent.

Also, you forgot Brassard and Letestu down the middle. Heck, MacKenzie took some top-6 draws last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Erixon will be a very good defenseman, i'd be very happy with him in the Preds pipeline, I think he'll be on the top pair with Johnson in a year or two. An actual legit defensive prospect that Columbus has really been missing, Klesla is the only guy they've ever brought up that had anyone excited. Erixon is better.
That's because folks are so reluctant to even acknowledge our existence (let alone do research) that they've completely overlooked Moore and Savard, and have already forgotten who we picked 2nd overall.

Well, okay, I should be fair. Habs fans have definitely noticed Savard, to the point where it's kind of annoying.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
token grinder

no offense, but I think brassard and letetsu are trash. umberger is ok.

will be interested to see if BOB spurns them after this year as his rights were bought in the khl today

Old
07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
no offense, but I think brassard and letetsu are trash. umberger is ok.

will be interested to see if BOB spurns them after this year as his rights were bought in the khl today
Letestu wouldn't be my first choice as a top-6 guy, but he's hardly trash. And to call Brassard "trash" is frankly about as inacurate as calling Kevin Klein worthless, yet inexplicably equally popular.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:26 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Letestu wouldn't be my first choice as a top-6 guy, but he's hardly trash. And to call Brassard "trash" is frankly about as inacurate as calling Kevin Klein worthless, yet inexplicably equally popular.
Klein is a good #4 dman. and worth every penny he is paid. Nice try attempting to use the sheep talk in this debate.

I have my doubts as to whether brassard can be a top 6 forward. He has had the opportunity to thrive with good linemates around him and did not. He may turn out to be a nice player in a tweener role, but time will tell. Fact is, he is 24 and about a half a point per game player. Letetsu was handed off for a 4th round pick and other than a nice little run playing with crosby, has done nothing. he is trash. brassard is getting there. If Columbs is counting on these guys to have big roles in the coming year, CBJ may well try to figure out how to keep Flames or Yotes from winning the top pick.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Klein is a good #4 dman. and worth every penny he is paid. Nice try attempting to use the sheep talk in this debate.

I have my doubts as to whether brassard can be a top 6 forward. He has had the opportunity to thrive with good linemates around him and did not. He may turn out to be a nice player in a tweener role, but time will tell. Fact is, he is 24 and about a half a point per game player. Letetsu was handed off for a 4th round pick and other than a nice little run playing with crosby, has done nothing. he is trash. brassard is getting there. If Columbs is counting on these guys to have big roles in the coming year, CBJ may well try to figure out how to keep Flames or Yotes from winning the top pick.
Opportunity to thrive? Brass? When and where did that happen? The kid spent most of his time either on the fourth line or on the bench under Arniel. And the points-per-game argument is a little silly around here - Brass was two points behind SK in one less game played, and SK's a first-liner here. He's inarguably top-6 already - the doubt is whether or not he'll be a high-quality one.

And I suspect you've never done much research on Letestu. He was one of our more effective two-way guys, and was why we were able to deal Vermette (who had admittedly regressed). He's not a top-6 guy, but he can act as a lineup patch and not horribly embarrass the team defensively.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:53 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Opportunity to thrive? Brass? When and where did that happen? The kid spent most of his time either on the fourth line or on the bench under Arniel. And the points-per-game argument is a little silly around here - Brass was two points behind SK in one less game played, and SK's a first-liner here. He's inarguably top-6 already - the doubt is whether or not he'll be a high-quality one.

And I suspect you've never done much research on Letestu. He was one of our more effective two-way guys, and was why we were able to deal Vermette (who had admittedly regressed). He's not a top-6 guy, but he can act as a lineup patch and not horribly embarrass the team defensively.
SK is a first liner here, but not bcause he deserves to be. he s a 2nd-3rd ine winger with potential. I can't help brassad was so awesome he could't work his way off the 4th line on a terrible team. If you were on the 4th line of the worst team in the league, that doesn't say much. Nashville has a guy too that is a lineup patch and won't embarrass himself too bad too. Brian McGrattan. on ice fodder. kill a few min. trash on ice