HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 04:53 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
In the spirit of the Nash trade, let's throw Poile an offer for Read, Rinaldo, Shelley, and a box of suspiciously damp kitty litter for 3 of our firsts back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Can we also add a suspicious flaming bag on his doorstep too?
Being a dog walker and pet sitter, I can provide both and in large quantities. Who has the match?

Old
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Looking at that contract in writing, it is ****ing horrible to prob 20 teams in the NHL. For the Preds and their fans sake, I hope if they match they can come up with that cash and still ice a competetive team.
It's kind of funny because this contract can end up like an albatross both for Weber and the Preds. He may end up stuck with them for 14 years and they may not be able to add pieces to make them contend for the same amount of time. Long term contracts aren't always great for the players in spite of the security they provide.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

http://issheaweberaflyeryet.com/

via twitter:
Quote:
BroadStHockey

http://t.co/joV2RRYp

Old
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

If we wake up Thursday to find Nashville didn't match, who's going shopping for a Weber jersey in the following few days?

Old
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
If we wake up Thursday to find Nashville didn't match, who's going shopping for a Weber jersey in the following few days?
Me!

lol.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
I will have my blank jersey sent out on Thursday (or whenever his number is announced).

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'd be ordering my Flyers road Weber jersey when it comes available

Old
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Hopefully it will be the next jersey i add to my collection

Old
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

If I'm nashville, I ring up Holmgren and tell him to throw in another 1st and call it quits on Weber.

My reasoning

Weber is a franchise player, however, he clearly does not want to play in Nashville anymore. Spending 110 million on a player that does not want to play for your club is not only financial suicide, but it's downright stupid. What kind of message does it say to the rest of your players if your captain doesn't even want to be on the club.

5 first round draft picks equates to 10 first round draft choices in 5 years. I take the money they would have spent on Weber, and pour it into the scouting department. I trade two of those picks to get 2 picks in the same year back to back. So structured as follows

2013 - 3 first rounders, likely top 10 and a bottom 10 pick and Whatever
2014 - 3 first rounders, likely top 10 and a bottom 10 pick and Whatever
2015 - 2 first rounders, likely top 10 and bottom 10
2016 - 1 first rounder, their own.
as follows.

That should give them 8 NHL players all within 3 years of each other age wise, ready to play on the big club together. Seriously, with a half decent scouting team at least 6 should be NHL regulars ready to make an impact.

Any decent organization can then have 8 players all on ELC's surrounded with a few FA's who they will be able to overspend on quite heavily is going to go places. They have an all-star goaltender signed for a lifetime contract. They have tremendous young players on the blueline like Blum, Ellis ect.

You create a new team atmosphere, you keep the owners happy with low salary's and hopefully big performances, you have a young core ready to develop and play together for the next 10 years, you have the young players now take on advanced roles and hopefully become your team leaders and captains.

If Philly had this choice, with their FA signing potential and scouting department we would have a few cups.

But hey, i'm just looking on the positive side of losing your captain.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
If I'm nashville, I ring up Holmgren and tell him to throw in another 1st and call it quits on Weber.

My reasoning

Weber is a franchise player, however, he clearly does not want to play in Nashville anymore. Spending 110 million on a player that does not want to play for your club is not only financial suicide, but it's downright stupid. What kind of message does it say to the rest of your players if your captain doesn't even want to be on the club.

5 first round draft picks equates to 10 first round draft choices in 5 years. I take the money they would have spent on Weber, and pour it into the scouting department. I trade two of those picks to get 2 picks in the same year back to back. So structured as follows

2013 - 3 first rounders, likely top 10 and a bottom 10 pick and Whatever
2014 - 3 first rounders, likely top 10 and a bottom 10 pick and Whatever
2015 - 2 first rounders, likely top 10 and bottom 10
2016 - 1 first rounder, their own.
as follows.

That should give them 8 NHL players all within 3 years of each other age wise, ready to play on the big club together. Seriously, with a half decent scouting team at least 6 should be NHL regulars ready to make an impact.

Any decent organization can then have 8 players all on ELC's surrounded with a few FA's who they will be able to overspend on quite heavily is going to go places. They have an all-star goaltender signed for a lifetime contract. They have tremendous young players on the blueline like Blum, Ellis ect.

You create a new team atmosphere, you keep the owners happy with low salary's and hopefully big performances, you have a young core ready to develop and play together for the next 10 years, you have the young players now take on advanced roles and hopefully become your team leaders and captains.

If Philly had this choice, with their FA signing potential and scouting department we would have a few cups.

But hey, i'm just looking on the positive side of losing your captain.
I also think Howson just did us a big favor. That's the price for an 'elite, franchise' player (even if CBJ got jobbed - it's a fair point of reference).

That was for an unhappy player, stuck in a long contract, and wanted out - would they want to go through that with Weber, pay him $26M-$39M for 2-3 years, have him say he wants out [of which I have the hunch he has already told them flatly, if only hinted at in public], then get stuck with *those* kind of players in return?

Just take the 4 picks now an at least get to pick your own players.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
FadeToBlack

Alright, so here we go, I think these are all right now.

First spreadsheet shows last years' estimated numbers for the Preds.

From here on out, we're using last years' numbers with some minor tweaks to estimate this years numbers. 2% rise in season ticket and gate revenue (I know that's under inflation, but they lost some talent this year, so revenue should, in theory, trail growth), and a 5% rise in costs (About what inflation is running these days). I'm also assuming they match Weber's contract, and sign players with contracts totaling $2,488,833 to hit the cap floor at $54,200,000.

Second shows their estimated numbers this year with no lockout.

Third shows their estimated numbers this year with a 1 month lockout starting in October.

Fourth shows their estimated numbers this year with a 2 month lockout starting in October.

Fifth shows their estimated numbers this year with a 3 month lockout starting in October.

Sixth shows their estimated numbers this year with a 9 month (Full season) lockout starting in October.

The last sheet shows their contract situation this year without Weber and his massive bonus. This assumes they are paying players the same as their cap hit ($9,111,167 in additional salary), with $515k handed out as signing bonuses to those players this season. Of note is that this projection does not include any drop in revenue, just the same 2% bump, which is highly unlikely, in my opinion, if the Preds do not keep Suter.

For $3.1m more over the next season, I think they'd match... problem is that $13m bonus comes every July and it's tough from a multitude of standpoints to run a business when you always feel like you're playing catch-up from a financial perspective.

Last edited by FadeToBlack: 07-23-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERMANIAA View Post
MiamiscreamingEagle...i love the count down clock...lol...NICE...
You are welcome but it is Chris Shafer's suggestion/concept.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
It is a very realistic possibility. I might wait a season, just because I haven't seen him play very much. I don't buy a lot of jerseys (last one was Roenick... ha) but I love the new home jerseys and I really need to update.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Did I miss this in the other thread?

Quote:
#NHL-- #TSN's D.Dreger reports the #Flyers offered Matt Read, A.Meszaros, a 1st, (2) 2nd's, a 3rd for #Preds Shea Weber. NSH said 'no'.
NHLwiki

Old
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Not sure if its legitimate, I think some twitter account was tweeting that towards Dreger.

Edit: Never mind apparently it was Dreger who said that's what we offered to Nashville for Weber.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

NHLwiki
That sounds like a trade offer before the offer sheet

Old
07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I think its legit.

Quote:
@TH2NSTATSGUY

@DarrenDreger saying Flyers offered Matt Read, Meszaros, a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 3rd for Weber in a trade. Nashville said no

Old
07-23-2012, 06:05 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

NHLwiki
If that was the offer, then it suggests the Flyers have no plans to move any of the players involved in the Richards and Carter deals.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I think its legit.
I'd be pretty stoked with that trade.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
JABEE

That was before the OS per Bill Meltzer.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
I also think Howson just did us a big favor. That's the price for an 'elite, franchise' player (even if CBJ got jobbed - it's a fair point of reference).

That was for an unhappy player, stuck in a long contract, and wanted out - would they want to go through that with Weber, pay him $26M-$39M for 2-3 years, have him say he wants out [of which I have the hunch he has already told them flatly, if only hinted at in public], then get stuck with *those* kind of players in return?

Just take the 4 picks now an at least get to pick your own players.
I agree completely. This Nash trade couldn't have come at a better time.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
That was before the OS per Bill Meltzer.
Good, if that was our max offer, then they get less then that if we agree to send them anything for our picks.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:22 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
I can guarantee that Matt Read will be part of a deal for picks back. How? Because I have a Read shirt. My other jerseys/shirts are Gagne, Richards, Carter, JVR.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
So per FadeToBlack's estimates, matching Weber leads to a 60% increase in Nashville's losses assuming no lockout. That's roughly the best case scenario.

07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
CTU2fan

I'm really tired of all this trade talk. Sure, if they want to send one pick for Meszaros to clear some cap for us to add a winger (Doan?) then fine, but all this Read talk is bananas. They can either take the picks, or match and pray they don't go broke. They had their chance to deal and got greedy (just like Howson, shooting for the moon).

Closed Thread