HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators buyout Bobby Butler

Old
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators buyout Bobby Butler

Would really rather move Regin for an asset than buy out Butler.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/23/...id-arbitration

Last edited by Marty Straka: 07-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Would really rather move Regin for an asset than buy out Butler.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/23/...id-arbitration
Not sure Regin has enough trade value, coming off his past 2 injuries, that would offset the obvious talent gap between him and Butler.
Just my opinion, though.

As for the buy out: I am completely fine if that's the direction the Sens want to go in.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Its just Bruce giving his opinion. We are already almost 3 million below cap floor. might as well make it 4 million.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:10 PM
koreaboy

it definitely makes sense. butler has underwhelmed, there isnt a lot of room for him, and $400K is better than $1.2mil and a roster spot taken up by a guy who we don't see as part of the future. i wouldnt be stunned if we decided to do this.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan

I don't open Sun articles as a rule, so could someone tell me whether the article states Murray is contemplating a buy-out or if it's Garrioch thinks it's a good idea?

I don't see what the point is in buying him out really. We're under the cap-floor as it is and Butler's value can only increase at this point. He also seemed to be showing slight improvement in the playoffs after a mediocre reg. season. He could probably be pawned off to a team desperate for prospects for a very low pick, a 6/7th rounder, at this moment in time, and could increase to a 4th at the deadline depending on how he responds to being benched repeatedly last year.

I'm not sure I like this move unless we're making an upgrade somewhere in the line-up. If Murray goes through with this, there must be some other transaction in the works in order for us to hit the cap-floor.

Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

to be fair, bruce actually got a cba issue right this time.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
salomonster

I'm of the opinion that you don't give up on a player based on injuries - on the Regin front.

Plus he's a center which just don't grow on trees just like dmen.

As for Butler he would really only cost 200k if bought out and with 13 one way contracts he could fall victim to his poor efforts of last season...

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

Garrioch has been hating on Buter SO HARD since the end of the year it is ridiculous!!!!! Why in the fudge would the sens buy him out?! one more year ont he contract and they are below the cap. THE GUY HAD ONE BAD SEASON WHAT TEH HELLLLLLLLL!!!!

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Garrioch has been hating on Buter SO HARD since the end of the year it is ridiculous!!!!! Why in the fudge would the sens buy him out?! one more year ont he contract and they are below the cap. THE GUY HAD ONE BAD SEASON WHAT TEH HELLLLLLLLL!!!!
Well, if the Sens wanted to bring another player into the organization, then it makes perfect sense to buy out Butler.

And he may have had one bad season, but he's only played 1.5 seasons in the NHL. Not a great ratio, IMO.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
topshelfie

Put him on waivers first, then buyout if no team takes him?

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Put him on waivers first, then buyout if no team takes him?
Pretty sure that waiving a player is mandatory before buying him out, as per the CBA.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Pity for Bobby one not too good season but he has such potential to be a good player.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
to be fair, bruce actually got a cba issue right this time.
Quote:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement [...]. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing [...] in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period for any Player earning less than $1 million.
Actually, the way I'm reading the CBA, the 48 hour buyout option is only available to teams that have more than 1 player file for arbitration in that off-season. This, theoretically is to help balance out the uncertainty of the guaranteed award and salary amount of the player going through arbitration, allowing the team to adjust its roster on a one time basis by buying out another player if the arbitration award thoroughly messes with their cap or salary structure. I guess it was determined that only having one player go through arbitration wasn't going to mess any team up enough to force them into taking this option so it needed to be at least 2 players.

It's not the first time Garrioch would have not been able to properly interpret the CBA. Remember that Bruce also stated emphatically that the Sens would "walk away" from Daugavins arbitration award if it was a 1 way contract not understanding that this was not an option available to the Sens for any contract award less than $1.4 million (an award Daugavins definitely wasn't getting).

So, once again, Bruce a) is writing whole articles based on his opinion and passing them off as something the team is actually considering and b) has no idea how the CBA works.

Last edited by DefenseMinister: 07-23-2012 at 06:03 PM.
DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

doh, yeah, that's right.
Quote:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.Clubs shall have the
right to exercise Ordinary CourseBuy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary
Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be
limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant
to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary
arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall
not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs.
No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period
for any Player earning less than $1 million.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
DefenseMinister

I wonder what it's like to be a professional journalist who constantly has the main thesis of many of their published articles be proven to be completely wrong, thus invalidating the entire point of said article?

Someone should dial Bruce up and ask him.

Actually, if I'm in Bruce's shoes, I'd start using the media credentials and access I have been afforded to verify and validate some of the stuff rattling through my head before hammering out a column to be published for the masses. Is it that difficult to fire off an email or make a call to anyone in the Sens organization to say "Hey guys, is this something that you may consider doing? Is this notion that I have completely offbase or has it been discussed internally?" And then they can either give you a "no comment" which would be helpful for your readers as opposed to them believing that you're passing along information from the organization as opposed to your uninformed opinion. Or, more importantly, they can come back to you and say "Well actually Bruce, we aren't even allowed to do that even if we wanted to" . Then you could avoid publishing a piece of trash article that people will make fun of after the fact.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by DefenseMinister: 07-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
JackBauer

How exactly are we going to hit the floor? Serious question, not bashing the move

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
I wonder what it's like to be a professional journalist who constantly has the main thesis of many of their published articles be proven to be completely wrong, thus invalidating the entire point of said article?

Someone should dial Bruce up and ask him.
Are you calling Bruce a professional journalist ?

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Cant we just offer him for a 7th rounder around the league?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
BrawlFan

He had a helluva game in Calgary and can snipe it when he's on a hotstreak. Buuuuuut with so many prospects I don't blame Murray for shedding a million. I hope we keep him tho

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
How exactly are we going to hit the floor? Serious question, not bashing the move
At this point I'd say we're waiting it out until we find out what's up with the CBA. We're not too far off the floor even as it is right now.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
koreaboy

with k-daug signed we now have 50 contracts. if we want to sign dacosta we need to get rid of one somehow. butler seems like a logical deletion.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Not to mention that Butler's buyout from Capgeek.com is $50K this year and $200k next year not $200k over the next 2 years as he wrote. This is the 3rd time this summer he's written the Sens should buy out Butler. I guess pride in one's work is not what he aspires to.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
Not to mention that Butler's buyout from Capgeek.com is $50K this year and $200k next year not $200k over the next 2 years as he wrote. This is the 3rd time this summer he's written the Sens should buy out Butler. I guess pride in one's work is not what he aspires to.
Hey, if you could get paid three separate times for writing the exact same article wouldn't you do it?

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
with k-daug signed we now have 50 contracts. if we want to sign dacosta we need to get rid of one somehow. butler seems like a logical deletion.
After Da Costa is signed, the Sens will have 49 contracts. You're counting Noesen and Puempel who both have ELC slide contracts that don't actually count until they play 10 NHL games. Unless either of them make the NHL team and play 10 games, they'll be returned to Junior and won't count against the contract number.

Technically Zibanejad is under the same guidelines as well but he's got a much better chance of playing 10 NHL games this year so I'd go ahead and include him in the number.