HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Like the trade, don't like the trade

View Poll Results: Do you like the trade for Nash?
Yes 397 90.23%
No 43 9.77%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
I think Nash will be a big addition for you guys. He is definitely a good all around player who will finally be playing on a good team and will likely flourish with the change of scenery. Just a question. I haven't looked at what wings they play on, but do you guys expect Nash on the top line with Richards and Gaborik?
I think it will vary based on a couple of situations.

There may be some deep defensive teams in which case Nash may play on the second line. If we need a goal I could see all 3 being put together to try to get instant offense.

I think going into camp the intention will be to play all 3 together but I'd be happy having him on either line because it will mostly likely come down to him and Kreider flip-flopping on the top 2 lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
No offense taken. I'm not complaining about the trade at all; my major point is that I think it's much too early to call this trade a 'huge win' for the Rangers like many have been doing.

I agree with you about it being easier to find a decent 3rd line wing compared to a 1st line talent. I also agree that I don't think Sather is necessarily done modifying the team. That said, though, I do think that the 3rd line needs a little more scoring pop added. That's not a complaint about the Nash trade, just a reflection on current roster.
Absolutely. This team still needs to make a few more tweaks and adjustments. Honestly I want Sather to look into acquiring another 3rd line center and 3rd line RW'er who can provide some offense.

I know Boyle played 3rd line center last year but is he of the Stoll mold where he could be a 3rd line center who chips in offensively or should he be a fourth line guy. They do need another player in the 3rd line. There is no way Pyatt, Asham, Halpern, etc should be seeing 3rd line minutes.

07-23-2012, 06:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
No offense taken. I'm not complaining about the trade because it kills the forward depth; I'm not complaining about the trade at all. My major point is that I think it's much too early to call this trade a 'huge win' for the Rangers like many have been doing.

I agree with you about it being easier to find a decent 3rd line wing compared to a 1st line talent. I also agree that I don't think Sather is necessarily done modifying the team. That said, though, I do think that the 3rd line needs a little more scoring pop added. That's not a complaint about the Nash trade, just a reflection on current roster.

This is the type of deal a team makes win it believes it's ready to contend for a Cup. I don't believe the Rangers seriously considered themselves a Cup contender last year. Now, they do. Make no mistake about it...Nash is a huge piece to add to the top six. like someone else said, Nash's presence helps Gaborik and vice-versa. Teams have to determine against which line they're going to put their best defenders. While Richard and Gaborik showed chemistry last year, with addition of Nash, you can potentially keep Gaborik with Stepan, and put Nash with Richards, giving the Rangers to quality scoring lines.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think Nash will be a big addition for you guys. He is definitely a good all around player who will finally be playing on a good team and will likely flourish with the change of scenery. Just a question. I haven't looked at what wings they play on, but do you guys expect Nash on the top line with Richards and Gaborik?
probably at some point he will.

One thing you can say assuredly with John Tortorella....there are never any set lines.

my preference would be to split Richards and Gaborik away from Nash.

So something along the lines of...
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan/Doan

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
well seeing torts and knowing there is somewhat of a method to his madness i have a feeling we will see that line sooner or later. if that line produces 2 goals a game i think we will see it a lot more. but to start the season with out gabs nash and richie get paired together. at the deadline i said richie would be a better match for nash than he is for gabs. gabs is weird he likes to be setup but he also likes to have the puck. i think the lines will be:

1a)nash-richie-cally
1b)kreider-stepan-gaborik
3)hagelin-boyle-pyatt
4)rupp-halpern-asham

but who knows what sather has planned he may have another acquisition already lined up for a better 3rd liner than boyle or pyatt.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post

Absolutely. This team still needs to make a few more tweaks and adjustments. Honestly I want Sather to look into acquiring another 3rd line center and 3rd line RW'er who can provide some offense.

I know Boyle played 3rd line center last year but is he of the Stoll mold where he could be a 3rd line center who chips in offensively or should he be a fourth line guy. They do need another player in the 3rd line. There is no way Pyatt, Asham, Halpern, etc should be seeing 3rd line minutes.

I think Boyle would be a better fit on the 4th line; he's not the worst 3rd line center in the world, but he's far from ideal. The talent on the top 2 lines looks great, but I think that having that scoring depth & ability on the 3rd line would really add a powerful dimension to the team's offensive potential.

I fully agree that Asham, Halpern, etc should be confined to the 4th line.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think I'd be more confident with Boyle as our 3rd line center is if he's surrounded with offensive players like Hagelin and Stafford. If he's playing with Pyatt and someone else he should be doing so on the 4th line. But if we put him with offesnive pieces then I think he could hold his own for the 3rd line.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This is the type of deal a team makes win it believes it's ready to contend for a Cup. I don't believe the Rangers seriously considered themselves a Cup contender last year. Now, they do. Make no mistake about it...Nash is a huge piece to add to the top six. like someone else said, Nash's presence helps Gaborik and vice-versa. Teams have to determine against which line they're going to put their best defenders. While Richard and Gaborik showed chemistry last year, with addition of Nash, you can potentially keep Gaborik with Stepan, and put Nash with Richards, giving the Rangers to quality scoring lines.

I agree fully with everything you said; I'm just waiting to see how it plays out on the ice. On paper, Nash is a huge addition, but I guess I prefer to be somewhat cautious and wait for the on-ice results to happen before getting too giddy.

I'm also curious to see how the Doan situation plays out, and whether Sather has anyone other moves up his sleeve.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:37 PM
NYRangers77

This is a great move for the Rangers. Gaborik being out to start the season is a lot less worse now and when he comes back they will get that much better. People who dont like this trade have to look at the talent and not so much the cap hit although its high its only two more mil per season than artie and dubi and he scored more than both last season. Although we say this every year, the powerplay has to be better with Krieder and Nash. This is a huge win for us, great offseason. We got bigger and better. Last years team was in the ECF, if healthy theres no reason this team wont be better.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
I think I'd be more confident with Boyle as our 3rd line center is if he's surrounded with offensive players like Hagelin and Stafford. If he's playing with Pyatt and someone else he should be doing so on the 4th line. But if we put him with offesnive pieces then I think he could hold his own for the 3rd line.

Good point there. I think Stafford or Doan would be a great addition, obviously depending on their respective costs.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
This is a great move for the Rangers. Gaborik being out to start the season is a lot less worse now and when he comes back they will get that much better. People who dont like this trade have to look at the talent and not so much the cap hit although its high its only two more mil per season than artie and dubi and he scored more than both last season. Although we say this every year, the powerplay has to be better with Krieder and Nash. This is a huge win for us, great offseason. We got bigger and better. Last years team was in the ECF, if healthy theres no reason this team wont be better.
With the lockout Gaborik won't miss any time .

In regards to the cap hit, it's basically a wash since Artie was due a pretty hefty pay raise so it's not that big of a deal.

I hope akreider learns a lot from Rick Nash. They play a similar style and I for one would be thrilled to have two Rick Nashs' on this team.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
rangerssharks414

I love the trade.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Meh.

Good news - they didn't give up assets I was adamant about not giving up. Dubinsky's cap hit was too high. Anisimov looks like he may turn out to be another Dubinsky. Hopefully the draft pick will be a high one.

Bad news - I don't think Rick Nash is going to change us all that much. A 30-30 guy with a lot of miles on him for his age and almost no playoff experience. Not expecting him to make us an offensive dynamo all of a sudden...hopefully he surprises me.
Because he's been on the worst team in the league for the better part of a decade, not his fault. He'll prevail.

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
ltrangerfan

It's a trade that had to get done.

The Rangers are clearly a better offensive team off the roster.

CBJ builds for the future. Imagine if they receive next years #1 pick in the draft? There is a methodology in their maneuvering.

Theft?

At this moment the trade is fair.

The Rangers had the pieces to move. CBJ needed to move Nash.

Sather, the magician? Yeah, right. The Rangers simply made the highest offer and the other teams said Nash is yours. CBJ received market value. No one offered more for Nash then did the Rangers.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I like the trade a lot.

Considering the pieces we moved I think this was a trade we absolutely had to make. No McDonagh, Kreider, Stepan, MDZ, Hagelin, Miller, or McIlrath. We gave up 2 very good 2/3 line players that grew up in our system, a top 4 LD prospect who underwhelmed last year, and a bottom 3rd 1st rd pick in what appears at this time to be a good draft.

Nash is a legit 1st line power LW. While I don't like the cap hit we are getting him while he is still young enough to have prime years. Considering the assinine $$$ that are thrown around every year in FA Nash for 6yrs at 7.8 is not that bad. Nash is a 65-70pt player, if he can reach the high side of that and be a 35-35 type guy for 4-5 more years we easily win this trade. If he keeps declining like this year and is more of a 30-30 guy then it's debatable. I think a motivated Nash on a superior team should easily be a 35-35 guy. Time will tell.

Good luck to Dubi and AA, I hope they thrive in CLB.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
i would not want hagelin having to play with Boyle and dont underestimate Pyatt if hes going he the type of player that can be an impact player. What i like about some of the moves we have done is we have gotten not taller but thicker and stronger even on the boards i love having Nash, Pyatt, and Asham all added because they can all play well on the walls which you need with poorer ice surface like the garden and grinding it out is how Torts i think wants it. I dont know if Rupp has much effective hockey left but will see otherwise a trade or buyout and add a kid.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
It's a trade that had to get done.

The Rangers are clearly a better offensive team off the roster.

CBJ builds for the future. Imagine if they receive next years #1 pick in the draft? There is a methodology in their maneuvering.

Theft?

At this moment the trade is fair.

The Rangers had the pieces to move. CBJ needed to move Nash.

Sather, the magician? Yeah, right. The Rangers simply made the highest offer and the other teams said Nash is yours. CBJ received market value. No one offered more for Nash then did the Rangers.
Though it sounds like simple math it isn't.... 2+2 in this case is not 4.

To me, it's all about what was gotten. If DZ or Stepan or both were involved in a trade, how would you feel then? We got rid of two 45 pt guys and prospect and a pick...We got one of the premier scorers in the last 10 years and he would've ranked either first or second in goals the last 10 years on this team.

Dubinsky is heavily complained about or loved on this board. AA is liked indifferently and complained at his penalty and defensive prowess, and Erixon...is a wild card. Who knows what he'll be. Kreider, Stepan, and MDZ still play for us. This trade was not fair...not by a long shot.

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Too many deals like exactly what you've described lead the Rangers to their worst years since I've been a fan. That's why I don't like this deal.
The only reason this trade doesent hurt that much is 1) Nash is an game changer you know hopefully 40 goal scorer and we have guys like Hagelin and Krieder hopefully developing as top 6 players behind some of the top guys now. Would i have wanted Dubi personality as part of the team sure even Artie was someone that grew on me but i guess to get something you have to give something, i still think MDZ is not capable of running a top end PP from what ive seen and until this is rectefied Nash or no Nash, anyone, will not work and we will struggle. I think we either try and use someone on the lineup like a Stralman, Staal or MCd or we find someone because i kno other will say different but i watched most games and DZ is just very rough and smooth enough to run a good PP.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident61494 View Post
Though it sounds like simple math it isn't.... 2+2 in this case is not 4.

To me, it's all about what was gotten. If DZ or Stepan or both were involved in a trade, how would you feel then? We got rid of two 45 pt guys and prospect and a pick...We got one of the premier scorers in the last 10 years and he would've ranked either first or second in goals the last 10 years on this team.

Dubinsky is heavily complained about or loved on this board. AA is liked indifferently and complained at his penalty and defensive prowess, and Erixon...is a wild card. Who knows what he'll be. Kreider, Stepan, and MDZ still play for us. This trade was not fair...not by a long shot.
When you factor in the fact that Nash has a cap hit of nearly 8M dollars for 6 more years, yes, this was a fair deal. And you really can't evaluate it now...let's see where all the parties involved are in 3 years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If the Rangers win a Stanley Cup because they got Nash, then this trade is great. Otherwise....

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:22 PM
NikC

Great Trade! I'm ecstatic!

A top scorer in his prime. This gives us two legit scoring lines when Gaborik is ready to go. Going to love watching Slick Rick The Ranger!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

SportsCentre countdown from today (thanks to HWC for the clip).

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Too many deals like exactly what you've described lead the Rangers to their worst years since I've been a fan. That's why I don't like this deal.
That right there is/was the problem.

The Rangers today have a system in place where to many deals is not going to be needed.

We have arguably one of the best top 4 defences in the NHL and what we lacked we added with the depth up front that we could afford to part with.

Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Hagelin, Boyle, Pyatt is a solid top 9.

Add to that later in the season JT Miller and our top 9 will be better than it has been in well over a decade.

Not to mention the possibility of adding Doan. Weber or no Weber, the Flyers and the rest of the Eastern Conference is not thrilled

I don't see the down side here.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
@Vitto

Improved our top 6, weakened our forward depth and defensive depth, potentially weakened our chemistry.

One step forward, two steps backwards.
How? McIlrath is close to being ready, behind him we have Skjei and I think Calle Andersson will surprise a lot of people.

You act like it cripples us.

As far as forwards go, our 4th line is MUCH weaker. 3rd line, meh, especially when you consider Hagelin is most likely our full time 3rd line LW.

07-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
reasons to like it - ends the tension/distractions in Columbus.

reasons to hate it
- ONESIDED/UNFAIR VALUE (Rangers got a gold piece Jackets got nickels and dimes)
-REDUNDANT (Blueshirts got enough talent in their system to not have to do this )

I so liked what the Rangers did the Spring before the lockout.Getting rid of all their high paid players (Holik, Nedved, Leetch, etc) I guess "rebuild" is not really in their vocabulary. Buying sure is. so hopiong they bomb out this deal like they did with free agency spending in past years
Enough with the trolling. Look, just because you despise the Rangers doesn't mean its bad value. If we have enough talent then why didn't we win the cup?

We gave up 2 roster players, our best defensive prospect and a 1st rounder. Dubinsky will be a 2nd line player on CLB and Anisimov on the 3rd. We lost depth, gained top 3 talent. CLB lost top 3 talent but gained top 6 players and depth.

Its only unfair value because your an Islanders fan and the Rangers will continue to roll over your Isles.

Its only redundant because you hate the Rangers. Gaborik is getting older and will be out for a significant portion of the year. In one thread you claim that the Rangers don't have much of value for Nash, in the next thread he is a redundant piece (being a star talent and all). Which is it?

Also, you posted in another thread that you could add 10 late first round picks and you still think its a bad deal. Since your a "preds fan", why aren't you over in the Weber offer sheet thread hammering the Flyers for "buying" another player? They are after all getting the best defenseman in the game for a few late first rounders. Seems a little hypocritical, no?

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 07-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Love this trade, very happy.

Now give us Doan!
Damn skippy! I'm really glad this deal finally got done; Nash is exactly what this team needs going forward. I wish Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov the best of luck for a long and healthy career as Blue Jackets.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote