HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Ollie Weeks

vCash: 500
If Columbus made it worth our while, I'd swap Bernier for Mason. Give Mason a year to respond as a backup behind our defense. If it works out for both parties, we extend him short term. Perhaps he embraces the backup role, or perhaps he eventually elects to strike out as a journeyman. Perhaps he blows it and we don't extend him, its only a one year risk. I would suspect at this point, if Mason is put in a positive position and responds well, he won't be quick to wander off.

Mason + stuff for Bernier is something I'd consider.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:33 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
If Columbus made it worth our while, I'd swap Bernier for Mason. Give Mason a year to respond as a backup behind our defense. If it works out for both parties, we extend him short term. Perhaps he embraces the backup role, or perhaps he eventually elects to strike out as a journeyman. Perhaps he blows it and we don't extend him, its only a one year risk. I would suspect at this point, if Mason is put in a positive position and responds well, he won't be quick to wander off.

Mason + stuff for Bernier is something I'd consider.
Mason + LA 1ST for Bernier is something I'd consider.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I would want absolutely nothing to do with Steve Mason. The Kings would need a veteran back-up that could hold the fort for a year or two until Jones is ready. Mason sucks.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I'd flip him for the NYR first that they just picked up.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I'd flip him for the NYR first that they just picked up.
If Howson can manage to get Bernier from the Kings for either the Kings' or the Rangers' 1st round pick, he may come out of the Nash trade okay.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Kingsfan1

Loktionov
Bernier
Clifford
Drewskie/Muzzin/Hickey

For

Umberger
Mason
LA 1st rounder

Would u guys do it ?

Clifford can be replaced by Nolan or Andreoff , Loktionov has no place with the Kings here and Bernier wants to leave.

Would Columbus do it ?

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Loktionov
Bernier
Clifford
Drewskie/Muzzin/Hickey

For

Umberger
Mason
LA 1st rounder

Would u guys do it ?

Clifford can be replaced by Nolan or Andreoff , Loktionov has no place with the Kings here and Bernier wants to leave.

Would Columbus do it ?
I'd make that deal, but I doubt Columbus does.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Loktionov
Bernier
Clifford
Drewskie/Muzzin/Hickey

For

Umberger
Mason
LA 1st rounder

Would u guys do it ?

Would Columbus do it ?
We're giving up an awful lot for a late 1st rounder, a roster player who really isn't needed, and a struggling backup goalie with a 2.9M cap hit on his last year of his contract.

Last edited by The Black1963: 07-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Kingsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I'd make that deal, but I doubt Columbus does.
After what Howson just got for Nash I say we strike before hes fired lol

Old
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Kingsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
We're giving up an awful lot for OUR 1st, a roster player who really isn't needed, and a struggling backup goalie with a 2.9M cap hit on his last year of his contract.

True, but all the players I mentioned are also not needed, have no room or can easily be replaced.

Loktionov needs top 6 minutes to produce and as a Center cuz he sucks at Wing. With Richard n Kopitar he has no room. Clifford; we have King who is more consistent, Nolan can replace him as well on 4th line while King can be our 3rd line left winger in the future . Bernier ; Mason will do better with a better defense to play behind. He has the potential just lost confidence. Drewskie , Muzzin or Hickey have no room and we have plenty of depth on D .

Umberger is a gritty strong forward who can produce, he also steps up in the playoffs. Mason is just a swap for Bernier and the 1st it is a deep draft and we need to stock pile some more prospects. All in all we have players who can replace the ones mentioned above .

Old
07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Perro

Lokitinov, Bernier. for Jenner, bernier and a 2nd.
On the columbus board I suggested this but without the 2nd and have been ripped a new one. Honestly I think Columbus would win that deal, but we cannot keep Lokitinov and risk loosing him for nothing.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
True, but all the players I mentioned are also not needed, have no room or can easily be replaced.

Loktionov needs top 6 minutes to produce and as a Center cuz he sucks at Wing. With Richard n Kopitar he has no room. Clifford; we have King who is more consistent, Nolan can replace him as well on 4th line while King can be our 3rd line left winger in the future . Bernier ; Mason will do better with a better defense to play behind. He has the potential just lost confidence. Drewskie , Muzzin or Hickey have no room and we have plenty of depth on D .

Umberger is a gritty strong forward who can produce, he also steps up in the playoffs. Mason is just a swap for Bernier and the 1st it is a deep draft and we need to stock pile some more prospects. All in all we have players who can replace the ones mentioned above .
I stopped reading after the bolded.

Just because Lokti and to some degree, Clifford may have lesser value on our current roster doesn't mean they have less value on other teams.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
funky

So now we trade Bernier for Dubinsky because we really have no one that can hit on our team, ha ha.

Really want to see what is up Howsen's sleeve? 3 first rounders, 2 early picks the last 2 years, and now a boatload of grinder type, youth to add to JJ and Wis. is Bernier next?

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
So now we trade Bernier for Dubinsky because we really have no one that can hit on our team, ha ha.

Really want to see what is up Howsen's sleeve? 3 first rounders, 2 early picks the last 2 years, and now a boatload of grinder type, youth to add to JJ and Wis. is Bernier next?
You don't really believe that do you?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:

Things might get more interesting with Bernier now. To me, the two top teams for him will be NJ and CBJ. Now that Nash deal is done, the draft is over, I assume CBJ's dev camp has finished, then Millbur....Howson will be able to focus on a deal with us for JB if he does in fact want him. Then Dean just needs to start a bidding war between the two until we get two arms and three legs.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:42 PM
tsanuri

Quote:

If the draft stays as deep as projected, which most don't as they approach. And even if it doesn't trade the 2 later first rounds to move up and have easily have 2 top 10 picks. He could seem like a very solid GM going into a rebuild. Even while trading away the face of the franchise.
Not that I would want to be in that place.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
If the draft stays as deep as projected, which most don't as they approach. And even if it doesn't trade the 2 later first rounds to move up and have easily have 2 top 10 picks. He could seem like a very solid GM going into a rebuild. Even while trading away the face of the franchise.
Not that I would want to be in that place.
A lot can change but this draft is one I do not see changing to a weak one. There is SO much talent in this draft. If we could get NJ's 1st this year in a deal, I'd be very happy. We're not getting CBJ's 1st and I expect NJ to not do nearly as well this year whereas we should hopefully have some success again.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You don't really believe that do you?
Hell no, just imagine adding him to Brown, Richie and co, the other teams would be showing up via buses and leaving via ambulances

Old
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
A lot can change but this draft is one I do not see changing to a weak one. There is SO much talent in this draft. If we could get NJ's 1st this year in a deal, I'd be very happy. We're not getting CBJ's 1st and I expect NJ to not do nearly as well this year whereas we should hopefully have some success again.
NJ is hosting the 2013 draft, doubt they trade the pick. Also, they have to give up a 1st as punishment for the 1st Kovalchuk contract in one of the next 2 years. So if they trade their first, they won't have one until 2015.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
NJ is hosting the 2013 draft, doubt they trade the pick. Also, they have to give up a 1st as punishment for the 1st Kovalchuk contract in one of the next 2 years. So if they trade their first, they won't have one until 2015.
Lou Lamoriello is not the type of GM to give a **** if he's hosting the draft or not. He's going to do what he thinks is best for his team and I think he has to realize that having a 40 year old goalie and a 36 year old one will not work. Bring in Bernier now, let him learn from Marty, and have him carry the load the following year while Marty rides the bench. A deal of Bernier for NJ 1st + Hedberg would be great IMO. Could add on either side with smaller stuff but to get a first and a very good backup works just fine for me. It would also give Jones probably the two years remaining on Hedberg's new deal to continue to grow in the A and then after he can make the jump to backing up Quickers.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:22 PM
funky

I would love Bernier for Hedberg and NJ 1st. I will even throw in Richardson.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Lou Lamoriello is not the type of GM to give a **** if he's hosting the draft or not. He's going to do what he thinks is best for his team and I think he has to realize that having a 40 year old goalie and a 36 year old one will not work.
Hedberg is 39...

Quote:
A deal of Bernier for NJ 1st + Hedberg would be great IMO. Could add on either side with smaller stuff but to get a first and a very good backup works just fine for me.
...and most likely unwilling to waive his NTC.

The only way the Devils could possibly accomodate for a Bernier-type goalie is if Hedberg retires. Under normal circumstances, I'd be all over this trade too but:

1) we have two goalies under contract for two more years
2) both have NTC's
3) the first round pick is a non-starter because we still have to give up one because of the Kovalcontract.

A resounding no from NJ that could really have been a yes last season.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:

We need Clifford right now but...

If we get an upgrade in Umberger, that's a different story. Only problem is where do we fit him now? We can move Brown back to RW but that may mean Lewis doesn't get to play.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Hedberg is 39...

...and most likely unwilling to waive his NTC.

The only way the Devils could possibly accomodate for a Bernier-type goalie is if Hedberg retires. Under normal circumstances, I'd be all over this trade too but:

1) we have two goalies under contract for two more years
2) both have NTC's
3) the first round pick is a non-starter because we still have to give up one because of the Kovalcontract.

A resounding no from NJ that could really have been a yes last season.
I guess we'll just have to trade for Brodeur then and make him our backup, lol. Yes, I'll throw in Richardson.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:04 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Yes, I am, imagine that!

Who cares where he was drafted five years ago. Look more in line with current context. What are goalies like Bernier fetching now? Check in on Anders Lindback and you'll see, two 2nds and a 3rd.

Varlamov fetched more, but he also had playoff experience to his name and was higher regarded than Bernier at the time (and still is).

If you think Bernier will fetch a top 10 pick, you aren't going to be happy with the return IMO.
And therefore I would not trade Bernier for anything less. Bernier doesn't HAVE to be traded.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote