HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Are Your Predictions for a new CBA?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 06:29 AM
Zhackpot

vCash: 500
What Are Your Predictions for a new CBA?

Personally I don't think a salary cap of 30-35 million will be feasible.

Players like Iginla and Tkachuk would consume nearly a third of that cap given current salaries and I can't see players giving back money they feel they have earned. Would most people give back part of their salary increase to help your fellow co-workers or competition earn a living? Probably not.

I predict a cap will be higher say 40-45 million(maybe higher) and a team salary minimum will also be instituted in the 30-35 million range to try and level the payroll playing field.

I also think there will be a "franchise player" exemption that will not count against the cap but may count towards the minimum to help smaller market teams.

This is not a prediction but a personal feeling, I think the league should do away with guaranteed contracts. A player is not playing up to par cut him and his salary on the spot, similar to the NFL. That is how it works for most of us in the real world anyways and what better way to introduce today's NHLer to the ways of the real, ie fan's world. Or at the very minimum all contracts should be two way deals with an opportunity for players to demand an independent hearing if they feel they are the victims of a financial move and not a hockey move.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Blackadder

a 40-45 mil cap wouldn't work. The teams that don't have that salary now won't have that salary after the cap (especially since the TV money is likely to drop significantly).

Heck, there are enough teams now that are losing money with under 35 mil in salary that wouldn't work for a minimum either unless some serious profit sharing gets put in place.

My gut feeling is everyone better find a minor/junior team they like and root for them cause we ain't gonna see the NHL for a while after this season.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Obviously just a hunch/wish too, but I see no work stoppage or at worse a minimal delay to the season. The doom and gloomers have gravitated toward the negative propaganda spread by each side. Have NEVER seen a CBA where the time period leading up to negotiations was any different. Strictly posturing. Nor is there any reason for concern over the fact that the sides aren't meeting 9+ months prior to the deadline. That, too, is common. Nerve-wracking for those of us who want to see progress, but common.

A cap, if there is one, will be limited, and definitely not hard. Life, as we know it, will go on.

Change, typically, is incremental.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
wazee

My guess is that the NHL and NHLPA will waste the first few months of the 2004-2005 season proposing junk they know will not be acceptable to the other side. Nothing at all will be accomplished until the the union figures out if the owners are serious...and that will not happen until it is too late to salvage even a short season next year. After that, things will get uglier throughout the spring and summer of 2005. Somewhere in the fall of 2005, the union will agree to a salary cap by a different name in exchange for earlier free agency. My guess is a 45M salary cap with free agency at 27. Both will be phased in.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

What wazee said.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:05 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
while a 40 - 45 mil cap doesn't seem feasable as of now, i have to disagree.... once a cap, even at the afore mentioned rate is in place, teams will stop offering the insane contracts, and start getting more manageable one's ... the sticking point to me is the FRA contracts, something is gonna have to be done there ... a guaranteed 10 % raise is nuts, especially if the player hasn't lived up to what their salary is at... it may take 2 years, but we'll see salaries being dramatically lowered to keep from goin over the cap, in turn, this will either weed out players w/ little/no talent, or weed out the leeches from the league who r only playing for the purpose of the BIG reward $$$

Old
12-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Obviously just a hunch/wish too, but I see no work stoppage or at worse a minimal delay to the season. The doom and gloomers have gravitated toward the negative propaganda spread by each side. Have NEVER seen a CBA where the time period leading up to negotiations was any different. Strictly posturing. Nor is there any reason for concern over the fact that the sides aren't meeting 9+ months prior to the deadline. That, too, is common. Nerve-wracking for those of us who want to see progress, but common.

A cap, if there is one, will be limited, and definitely not hard. Life, as we know it, will go on.

Change, typically, is incremental.
That's pretty much what I think will happen. If there is a cap, it will be soft and probably higher than $35M. However, I expect a slightly more important delay. We're probably going to lose half a season again.

As you said, the dramatic comments, the stands by each side, it's just good old posturing and very much to be expected at this point. And the lack of progress so far is also typical. Negociations usually begin at crunch time. Nobody is willing to show his hand before that. I wish they'd resolve the issue BEFORE but that's just now how these things work, unfortunately.

I'm hoping the owners will win the CBA but think the players will again. Indications point toward a firm stance by the owners but I've seen that too often in the past.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I'm not sure if any of the 2004/05 season will lost to a work stoppage, but I do think that a salary cap, although not under that name will be implemented. I also think it will be relatively low, such as 35 million, with teams with salaries clearly over that given a grace period to get under.

Closed Thread