HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
07-23-2012, 07:30 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I'm not a fan of Howson, but you have to give him one thing- he has effectively eliminated the locker room of the country club players as far as I can tell.

I was just thinking back to a post I made several years ago about the country club culture. Basically I named a bunch of players on our team that I thought were part of the problem. Nash was on the list, among others.

Now I'm thinking about that same list and they are all gone (note Mason was not on the list, but should have been), except one- Steve Mason.

Get rid of Mason and the purge will be complete.

Then go get us a top forward line and we are set.
I'd get rid of Mason ASAP.

I'm not a big Bernier fan, but I think he wants out of LA because he's hungry and wants to prove himself. Like JJ, the change of scenery might do him good.

Same thing for a certain wing sitting in Anaheim who has been the whipping boy while guys like Ryan Getzlaf have gotten a free pass. Even I'd consider applauding Howson if he got rid of Mason and added Bobby Ryan and Jonathan Bernier before camp starts. If he did it without giving up Johansen, even better.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

how will the lines look?

Umberger-Johansen-Atkinson
Foligno-Brassard-Dubinsky
Prospal-Anisimov-Dorsett
Gillies-Letestu-Mackenzie

Murray-Aucoin
Johnson-Wisniewski
Tyutin-Nikitin
Moore-Savard
Erixon

Bobrovsky
Mason

They'll look fairly good next year, trade away Tyutin, Wiz and Brassard for something they need, I guess?

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I'm not a big Bernier fan, but I think he wants out of LA because he's hungry and wants to prove himself. Like JJ, the change of scenery might do him good.

Same thing for a certain wing sitting in Anaheim who has been the whipping boy while guys like Ryan Getzlaf have gotten a free pass. Even I'd consider applauding Howson if he got rid of Mason and added Bobby Ryan and Jonathan Bernier before camp starts. If he did it without giving up Johansen, even better.
Couldn't agree more.

I really wonder what the plan is for Johan. Most around here assume because he was drafted as a center, that's how the org views him. I'm beginning to think the org sees him as the eventual Nash replacement at power forward.

I think we'll know the answer pretty quick, if he starts the season as a center here or in Springfield, they see him as a center. If he starts the season here as a winger, they see him as a power forward.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
how will the lines look?

Umberger-Johansen-Atkinson
Foligno-Brassard-Dubinsky
Prospal-Anisimov-Dorsett
Gillies-Letestu-Mackenzie

Murray-Aucoin
Johnson-Wisniewski
Tyutin-Nikitin
Moore-Savard
Erixon

Bobrovsky
Mason

They'll look fairly good next year, trade away Tyutin, Wiz and Brassard for something they need, I guess?
The more I look at this, the more I smell trade.

I mean, look at the defense? Howson has got to pair Johnson and Wiz again given how they played down the stretch. Murray and Aucoin seems a no-brainer. So does Tyutin and Nikitin. But are we really sending Erixon AND Moore or Savard to the AHL?

Something just doesn't add up here.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:19 PM
JackieMoon
Howson Apologist

^ I'm with you. I'm hoping we use one of our defensemen and one or two of our first rounders for a top line winger.

Like someone else pointed out, Bobby Ryan is out there.

JackieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

It would be hard to believe that some other moves are not going to happen befor the start of the season. They could just end up being one of Howsons normal small deals, but I realy hope he makes a push for Ryan or at least Doan.

07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
It would be hard to believe that some other moves are not going to happen befor the start of the season. They could just end up being one of Howsons normal small deals, but I realy hope he makes a push for Ryan or at least Doan.
Doan doesn't make sense--we need a trade. Too many roster players. 8 D-men (once Murray signs) and 14 forwards.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:35 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Doan doesn't make sense--we need a trade. Too many roster players. 8 D-men (once Murray signs) and 14 forwards.
Should have said go for Doan if the trades are just small ones. How about we just get Ryan and Doan?

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll throw this out there:

Dmitry Chesnokov‏@dchesnokov

#KHL's SKA acquired KHL rights to #CBJ goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. With his ELC expiring next season, SKA may make a push to get him back

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:42 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post

#KHL's SKA acquired KHL rights to #CBJ goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. With his ELC expiring next season, SKA may make a push to get him back
Wow, that could potentially be very bad. Nice catch.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:43 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Maybe if your goal is strictly next season. But Murray is still not old enough for the AHL, Moore just out of his rookie season and Erixon has 18 games of NHL experience. And you don't really know who will pan out.

So lets look at who's here

JMFJ-Wiz
Tyutin-Nikitin
Acoin/
Moore-Murray-Erixon

Say Erixon or Moore start the season on the AHL. Add in Savard, Goloubef etc, and Sprinfield also has a loaded Blue line, and we don't need to rush anyone. Injuries are easily absorbed. And the cream gets to rise at its own schedule.

Now look at your lines:

Prospal--Brassard--Umberger
Atkinson--Johanson-- Foligno
Dorsett-Anisimov-Dubinsky

Last year we got outside of Dorsett, no goals from our third line. This year, even if Dorset falls off t thirty goals from that line are likely, forty or more possible. So we just got back Nash's scoring even though we do lose him on the power play. We get a third line that can actually score, and our grinders. We end up with more goals, even if none of our other young players (say Calvert) break through.

and who here thinks we won't draft really high next year, in a very deep, rich draft? The new people are all young, they defend, and play with gusto.

Maybe the beginning of an Identity. But we do need a great draft next year.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
1)Agree, Doan doesn't make sense, especially if we're rebuilding. Also, assuming that rumoured offer of $7.5/season is coming from a contending team so why would he even consider us, even if we offer him big money? He could just go to a contender, get his money and go to place where he prefers.

2)Before the draft, Howson said he didn't expect the 2nd overall picked player to be playing in Columbus this up coming season. With all defensemen that we have, do you think Murray goes back to the juniors? Or do we keep him in the NHL and then trade some of our defenders for forwards?

I know a lot of you don't want him but I would offer Semin a multi year deal and see if he accepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post

It's a good thing Howson kept Mason eh.

I wonder if Howson had a feeling this could happen and that is why he is interested in Bernier as well.

punk_o_holic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
EspenK

Howson should now try and get Ryan. He's got assets. All the guys he got today plus all of the other forwards and two low first round draft picks. Plus Erixon, Savard, Moore, Weber & Calvert.

Brass and Savard? Plus maybe our #2? Capn' think that works?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
JMFJcbj

Does Dubinsky fight?

JMFJcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJcbj View Post
Does Dubinsky fight?
According to almost all Rangers fans, he does.

Last edited by ThisIsMyAlibi: 07-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.
ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Does Dubinsky fight?
I don't think he'll fight for ***** and giggles but will fight if he needs to defend a teammate or if he's in a scrum and someone is pissing him off. Not sure how good he is.

Here's his fights from last season(fought 6 times)
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2012

punk_o_holic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Nikita Filatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
I don't think he'll fight for ***** and giggles but will fight if he needs to defend a teammate or if he's in a scrum and someone is pissing him off. Not sure how good he is.

Here's his fights from last season(fought 6 times)
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2012
Let's just hope Dubi and Umby bring their best next season in EVERY way. Good that we have a bunch of young guys everywhere willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I think Howson could have gotten more, but I don't hate this deal for you guys. Skillwise, you're not the worst in the NHL, and defensively you guys are pretty sick. I hope Bob and the KHL thing is a "just in case there's a lockout" decision, because he can thrive behind that D. He's not as bad as he's being made out to be (though I wouldn't give up on Bernier)

If you guys play the right style (think Phoenix), the team will be fine, and I think they'll turn some heads this year. But the players have to buy into the system, and have fun at the same time. Even if you suck this year, you can ship a pick off with one of the young d-men prospects for a offensive threat, and then draft two studs (one of MacKinnon or Jones?)

I'm hoping it goes well for you. Rally around the team, make them have fun. Good luck!

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Erixon is widely regarded as being NHL-ready. That would leave an NHL roster of Johnson, Nikitin, Tyutin, Wisniewski, Aucoin, Erixon, and one of Moore/Savard. Murray can thus go back to the WHL.

Of course, if there's any type of lockout, Erixon, Moore, and Savard can all play in the AHL while Murray can go back to the WHL.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:26 PM
JMFJcbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think Howson could have gotten more, but I don't hate this deal for you guys. Skillwise, you're not the worst in the NHL, and defensively you guys are pretty sick. I hope Bob and the KHL thing is a "just in case there's a lockout" decision, because he can thrive behind that D. He's not as bad as he's being made out to be (though I wouldn't give up on Bernier)

If you guys play the right style (think Phoenix), the team will be fine, and I think they'll turn some heads this year. But the players have to buy into the system, and have fun at the same time. Even if you suck this year, you can ship a pick off with one of the young d-men prospects for a offensive threat, and then draft two studs (one of MacKinnon or Jones?)

I'm hoping it goes well for you. Rally around the team, make them have fun. Good luck!
appreciate it.

On another note... Erixon, NYR first, Calvert, and Letestu for Ryan?

Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
JMFJcbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Erixon is widely regarded as being NHL-ready. That would leave an NHL roster of Johnson, Nikitin, Tyutin, Wisniewski, Aucoin, Erixon, and one of Moore/Savard. Murray can thus go back to the WHL.

Of course, if there's any type of lockout, Erixon, Moore, and Savard can all play in the AHL while Murray can go back to the WHL.
Aucion is a 7. It's a good problem to have.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
FutureCjJohnson

Gotta believe something else happens on the trade front prior to the start of next season. Excited to be moving forward without Nash. Looking forward to having a more complete team.

FutureCjJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Does Dubinsky fight?
He was a perennial pest in the WHL, and fought from time to time. He'll stick up for his mates and get under the opponent's skin.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:07 AM
candyman82

Quote:
appreciate it.

On another note... Erixon, NYR first, Calvert, and Letestu for Ryan?
I think Brassard would have to go in a trade for Ryan, they need a #2 center

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:08 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:

Agreed, a fresh start makes this team interesting to watch this year - but it's not really a fresh start with Mason on the roster. Too much baggage.

What would it take to get Bernier? Should be doable, I would think.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote