HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
Anybody else wondering why Howson made the trade today? If flyers get Weber on Wednesday wouldn't the asking price for Nash go up because the rangers would want him more at that point?

Wondering if Howson was expecting them to match

Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Beastieboy

From Dreger's comments he makes it sound like if the Preds take the picks they can look to trade them to any team for roster players, not necessarily just back to the Flyers.

Columbus got hosed in the Nash trade. Once again.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Anybody else wondering why Howson made the trade today? If flyers get Weber on Wednesday wouldn't the asking price for Nash go up because the rangers would want him more at that point?

I thought the opposite... if Weber didn't come to philly... wouldn't the asking price go up because Philly and NYR would both be interested in Nash? Apparently the Flyers were more interested then we thought...

Old
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post

Howson is such a moron I wouldn't put any salt into what his motivations are. We'd be giving him
waaaaay to much credit to assume he actually gave it any considerable
thought at a more sophisticated level than a 6 year old as to when would be the optimal time to trade Nash.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Beastieboy

Personally, I would rather keep Read than give him up for a late first rounder. 24 goals as a rookie (though he is older) that is still a great start. He could get 30 this year and build towards more. Also, given the Flyers penchant for having half their D get injured every spring, I would like them to keep Mez. I like the way he plays, jumps into the play, creates offence, scores some goals.

Overall, I say if we get Weber let em keep the 4 1sts. If Homer wants a 1st later you'd think he could trade a player to a crummy team and get a higher pick.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Personally, I would rather keep Read than give him up for a late first rounder. 24 goals as a rookie (though he is older) that is still a great start. He could get 30 this year and build towards more. Also, given the Flyers penchant for having half their D get injured every spring, I would like them to keep Mez. I like the way he plays, jumps into the play, creates offence, scores some goals.

Overall, I say if we get Weber let em keep the 4 1sts. If Homer wants a 1st later you'd think he could trade a player to a crummy team and get a higher pick.
Matt Read>Late First

Old
07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
HF is teasing me right now I keep getting the advertisement for Weber grills. "It's Weber weather, get free shipping on your Weber grill's" It can't be coincidence right guys! RIGHT?! We are getting Weber oh praise the lawd!

Old
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
HF is teasing me right now I keep getting the advertisement for Weber grills. "It's Weber weather, get free shipping on your Weber grill's" It can't be coincidence right guys! RIGHT?! We are getting Weber oh praise the lawd!
I work for Lowes and heard a customer ask an employee about Match light Weber grills. Needless to say when I heard the words match and Weber I almost freaked out.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
GTopCheese

47 hours to go. HURRY THE HELL UP

Old
07-23-2012, 11:28 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
47 hours to go. HURRY THE HELL UP
******* TIME

Old
07-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
******* TIME

07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Even if we don't get weber, I still love how much ******** this whole thing has caused

Old
07-23-2012, 11:56 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
haha **** dude I love that song..Now Im gonna listen to it repeatedly until we get weber. 40 hours or 14 years

Old
07-23-2012, 11:59 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Even if we don't get weber, I still love how much ******** this whole thing has caused
so much ********, its ridiculous.

Nashville was to be expected..Pens fans is humorous...rangers too.

But canucks, oilers, calgary, red wings haha its like we pissed the entire league off!

Old
07-24-2012, 12:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post

I'd easily risk Read becoming a 30-goal scorer elsewhere to get Weber. As a 25-year old rookie, he's already eaten into his prime by being in college. The age part is more important than the rookie part, one can argue that he entered the league at his ceiling.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
If we wake up Thursday to find Nashville didn't match, who's going shopping for a Weber jersey in the following few days?
Me

Old
07-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

In the words of Chris Berman: "Tiiiiiiiiiiick tick tick tiiiiiick"

Old
07-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd easily risk Read becoming a 30-goal scorer elsewhere to get Weber. As a 25-year old rookie, he's already eaten into his prime by being in college. The age part is more important than the rookie part, one can argue that he entered the league at his ceiling.
Exactly.

If you look at the Weber situation as a straight trade, who would you give up to get the best Dman in the league. Look what we gave up to get Pronger, and he was old, and it was still worth it - his unfortunate injury aside.

Read is a great little player, but if it means getting Weber, he's expendable, and so are any number of other guys. I don't think the Schenns, Couturier or Coburn are, though. We'll see what Homer and Snider think.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:58 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Tomorrow is D day for this Weber offer sheet could go either way but i think he is a flyer after tomorrow..

And no i didnt hear or see it any where my feeling is it ends tomorrow and homer gets his allstar Dman preds take the picks and move on..

And i think homer isnt finished we could see a Bobby Ryan trade or a Shane Doan signing or why not both now that would be a great off season in my books..

And let me not forget that we have Luke Schenn who could become a beast playing on the same team as his brother and his old friend Shea Weber..

Last edited by BleedOrange: 07-24-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem dealing Read the player for Weber. But when you take in account his production at a 900k cap hit, it makes dealing him a little tougher. He gives you a little bit of flexibility when it comes to managing the cap and possibly adding another piece. But with Schenn and Couts most likely staying put, Read along with Voracek are our most valuable trade assets so I understand the motive.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem dealing Read the player for Weber. But when you take in account his production at a 900k cap hit, it makes dealing him a little tougher. He gives you a little bit of flexibility when it comes to managing the cap and possibly adding another piece. But with Schenn and Couts most likely staying put, Read along with Voracek are our most valuable trade assets so I understand the motive.
Couldn't agree more. My thought on this have been and continue to be that Nashville will match and keep Weber unless they can't afford it. No sense trading players to them to try to convince them to not match...I can't imagine they'd be willing and able to match and keep Weber but that they'd agree not to if we agreed to trade them some roster players. Yes if we offered the Couts + B.Schenn package Poile asked for that might tip the scales a bit, but I can't see them saying "we won't pay the $27M in a year for the 4 1st rounders, but if we're getting Read and Meszaros we'll do it". If they can do it they're keeping Weber.

Call their bluff Homer.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:23 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I would be really surprised if nashville didn't at LEAST go the trade route... you would think they want something now..

Old
07-24-2012, 01:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Losing someone who out-performs their contract does hurt, but there are only a select few players in the league where I'd trade Read. If the Flyers were to make Read available, a team who considers themselves a legitimate Cup contender wouldn't hesitate to give up a 1st round pick for him. By the time Read needs a new contract, the Flyers are going to be looking for the next college kid who can score 50 points at less than $1M. He'd jump up to around $4M, but be replacing Briere.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:50 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Losing someone who out-performs their contract does hurt, but there are only a select few players in the league where I'd trade Read. If the Flyers were to make Read available, a team who considers themselves a legitimate Cup contender wouldn't hesitate to give up a 1st round pick for him. By the time Read needs a new contract, the Flyers are going to be looking for the next college kid who can score 50 points at less than $1M. He'd jump up to around $4M, but be replacing Briere.
I wouldn't let Matt Read get in the way of a potential Weber deal. I'm just playing Devil's advocate a bit. We're potentially adding a $7.8 million cap hit if we get Weber. Voracek if he is not dealt needs a new deal. We could use all the flexibility we can get. But like I said, he's one of the few available trade options we have. I would obviously move him for the right piece (Ryan).

Old
07-24-2012, 01:59 AM
phlla12

Call their bluff (and we get him for a steal with other players still rostered) OR we dont't get a player that we as fans did not have in our targets 30 days ago. We're still high on the weber drug.

I don't really think I want to give up Mez (and)or Reas plus picks for weber. While I understand Weber is awesome... How far away were we from the cup last year? We already lost Carle, jvr and jagr. Then to give up read... And Mez....

It's a tough decision but I would say call their bluff or give In last second with Mez Or Reid but not voracheck and not multiple core rostered players.

Closed Thread